Start by marking “The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)” as Want to Read:
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

(The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)

Genie Lo is one among droves of Ivy-hopeful overachievers in her sleepy Bay Area suburb. You know, the type who wins. When she’s not crushing it at volleyball or hitting the books, Genie is typically working on how to crack the elusive Harvard entry code.

But when her hometown comes under siege from hellspawn straight out of Chinese folklore, her priorities are dramatically
Published August 8th 2017 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Epic Crush of Genie Lo, please sign up.
Zoe He said on his author page that he is currently writing the sequel!
Dawn This book is really creative, it starts as a contemporary and unexpectedly takes off into fantasy that in my opinion borders on sci-fi and then…moreThis book is really creative, it starts as a contemporary and unexpectedly takes off into fantasy that in my opinion borders on sci-fi and then returns to contemporary, kinda. Awesome and unexpected use of humor! My 5-star rating of this book also is because by the end Genie learns a lot about herself, and gains confidence in herself like many of the best female characters in YA literature.(less)

CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
After finishing this bookI thought to myself, certain as hell: No book has never EVER made me this happy. Do you know those books where you felt like it was written for you? The Epic Crush of Genie Lo felt like that book for me. Yes, The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is my new favourite book! But not as in, five star tier favourite. I'm talking about, forever in my heart tier of favourite (I even made a Goodreads shelf for this).

When I first heard about this book in January this year, I was beyond ec
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Well damn, The Epic Crush of Genie Lo was so much fun! Let's look at some amazing facts about it, shall we?

I've been avoiding demon/mythology YA Fantasy for a while, because they're so damn repetitive... Even though I'm a big fan of Greek Mythology, there's only so many white-girl-falls-in-love-with-the-reincarnation-of-Hades I can take, you know? Hence why I was beyond ecstatic to dive into The Epic Crush of Genie Lo, which deals with mythological beings I had never heard about before (because
alice (arctic books)
You can find this review and others, as well as win a copy of GENIE LO at arctic books.

THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO was fun, action-packed, and something not to miss. I’m going to be honest here, I have never read a book that I related to as much as this one. I’m Chinese-American, and seeing the stories of Sun Wukong that I heard as a child come to life in this book was surreal and just absolutely amazing. I felt so light and unbelievably happy, and I can’t express how much I loved this book.

Genie
may ❀
We’re gonna keep this short for everyone’s sake but mainly mine because I don’t recall half the ish I read today (I’m sick okay leave me alone)

Okay so,,,,

Pros
- Chinese mythology = very interesting
- Love the diversity
- I liked how genie was actually a strong fem character
- But like that’s it

Now buckle up kids, this one is gonna be loooooooong

Cons
- The WRITING is cringe (im sorry)
- Like I genuinely feel it would have been much more fitting if this was categorized as middle school than YA bc
Aentee
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How is this a debut novel? It's so good in every way: hilarious, imaginative, filled with memorable characters, and a plot that never stops moving. If you're a fan of Journey to the West, you need this. If you're a fan of fierce and flawed heroines, you need this. If you're a fan of books that will make you laugh, you need this.

FULL REVIEW TO COME.
may ➹
I’m only capable of feeling two (2) emotions: disappointed and annoyed. And guess what!! This book has the honor of making me feel both.

*sighs* I only wanted good Asian rep, you know?? Instead I got an author who tried too hard to be Rick Riordan Sarcastic™ and failed. I also got two ASIAN CHARACTERS who were unfortunately too irritating and perfect for me to actually like, despite their ASIAN REP.

THE WRITING VOICE

Look, I try too hard to be funny and it doesn’t work. This doesn’t mean that I s
julianna ➹
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YOU GO READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW JUST DO IT
edit: check out the paperback cover it's soooo PRETTY!!

Reread Edit (because I HAD to reread this book within a month of reading it.
I gave it to my sister and she LOVED this book! She didn't finish it... because she's a lazy butt... but she still LOVES it (the 40% that she read).
OKAY OKAY OKAY. OKAY.

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. *delirious laughter*

Let's start from the beginning.

I had NO IDEA this book existed BUT some humans on Twitter were screaming about it and so I read some reviews and they w
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I didn’t expect to love The Epic Crush of Genie Lo this much, but I did. I haven’t read YA in two months that’s how rough this has been for me; and this book just came in and it swept me off my feet.

THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ALL. I repeat: A MUST READ FOR ALL.

It is deliriously comical. It would make you laugh, it’s one of the most heartwarming and the funniest YA to this date. The characters are wild, and outrageous. Readers will fall in love with Genie’s resiliency, and Quentin’s charming person
Aila
You can find my review on the blog One Way Or An Author over here!

Check out my fan art :D

It’s been a couple of days since I’ve finished this book and I’m STILL NOT OVER IT. Seriously, I have all the love for this book to the moon and beyond. But I told myself I’d finish this review so I can schedule it and spread the love when closer to release date. The Epic Crush of Genie Lo immediately grasped my attention with its fierce cover and tag. I knew about a Chinese-American girl trying to juggle fi
Tori (InToriLex)
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Find this and other Reviews at In Tori Lex
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars
This book was so much fun to read. If I'm speaking in terms of dinner courses, this reads like fried ice cream. The characters are likeable and the humor is memorable. Genie Lo is a formidable force who tries to fight monsters from hell, while crafting herself into a competitive college student. Her character is head strong in a brutish but relateable way. I could only imagine how I would react to learning I have super powers. Que
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is one of my favorite books this year. It's right there on top of the list and you all should definitely have it on your radar, because if not, you're so doing it wrong.

description

If you're into mythology, demons and action but also a slice of college applications and schoolwork, Genie Lo is so right for you! It has humor and a f* good storyline. The characters had all these layers that you think you had them all figured out but there was always something beneath that. Can't wait
Syndi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I do not enjoy this book too much. The jokes are like watching rerun comedy show and it stops getting funny.

There is no character development. Genie is giving me a cringe. She likes the perfect of everything. Its just to overwhelmed to connect with her.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
"Spiritual power isn't just or merciful. It's fair. That's what makes it so dangerous."

Any YA book based around a Chinese myth will just GET ME. I've had The Epic Crush of Genie Lo for years, and it wasn't until recently that I found out it was centered around the Chinese classic, Journey to the West (西游记). (You can find out about my odd fascination with this story in my post about Asian stories in YA!) I'm a bit half-and-half about the book after reading it, generally:

LIKES

🔥 Genie was such
Justine
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, audiobook
I had a pretty great time with this book. It's not deep or anything, but quite light and funny without being silly. The use of Chinese mythology and characters was refreshing, and made it different and interesting. That said, it is still a pretty basic YA story, but well told and ultimately entertaining.

The audio is excellent, with the narrator doing a spot on job with accents and voices. A good choice if you enjoy contmporary YA fantasy and want a quick pick-me-up.
Jillian
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this completely exceeded all my expectations and i just FRIGGING LOVE THIS. ya know how people compare alot of books to buffy the vampire slayer and then the book is...NOT LIKE BUFFY at all. THIS IS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER WITH CHINESE FOLKLORE AND CHARACTERS and i am here for all of it. the story is imaginative and so so exciting. the characters and the dialogue are effortless and I JUST LOVE THIS OMG I LOVED IT.

i just really need the sequel. i need it so badly.
Lindsay
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genie Lo is one of many over-achieving students at her San Francisco prep school, desperately studying and working to get into an Ivy League school with the scholarship that would require for her. But that's all put at risk when a bizarre new transfer student appears, closely followed by actual demons from Chinese mythology. When the new student reveals himself to be Sun Wukong, the Monkey King and that Genie has special powers that can help him fight demons, a lot of extra stuff gets put on Gen ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo was a fun read with a kickass Chinese-American, female protagonist.
I really enjoyed all the almost movie like action scenes and loved Genie's character! However, it was a little slow in pace for me in places and I wasn't 100% invested at times but I know I'm in the minority for feeling this way, as so many people have adored it (so definitely don't let me put you off picking it up!!) With that being said, it was definitely fun and so refreshing to have a diverse cast
Shenwei
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reread thoughts: I still laughed at the funny parts the 2nd time. Still Smashingly Amazing (pun intended). Also forgot to put TWs for some ableist language.

I LOVE THIS BOOK AND EVERYONE SHOULD BUY/READ IT!!!

Originally posted on my blog.

This is one of my favorite YA reads of this year. I pretty much read it in one sitting while live-tweeting my reactions. It’s a jam-packed mix of action, comedy, romance, and character growth. I laughed my way through most of it and yelled at the characters becaus
Shelly
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse, fantasy, abrams
Everyone who told me to read The Epic Crush of Genie Lo wasn't wrong. It was so fast-paced and hilarious, it was just exactly what I needed.

If you're looking for more concrete reasons to read it (other than my !!! excitement), check out Aila's lovely review.
Attack Salmon
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, pocs
DNF @ Chapter 30

If its boring then its boring then I rate it low even though it represents my culture
Lata
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars and lots of punches for Genie Lo. Her sarcasm, humour, lack of mythological knowledge and tendency to punch her problems made me chuckle frequently and laugh out loud at one point in Genie’s journey to become a superhero and vanquish all the demons plaguing her home town. F.C. Yee has written a fun, escapist tale of Genie, the Monkey God, and plenty of battles and punching. With some commentary on how girls are devalued in the culture, while Genie shows off her determination and strength ...more
Ava
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was so fantastic. I cannot wait for this book to release, because THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO is going to change lives.

Do you like:

- badass Chinese protagonists
- ancient Chinese legends
- wonderful friendships! and families!
- demons and demon-fighting
- the BEST story
- fab characters
- ON-POINT HUMOR
- characters who act their age

If so, you'll love GENIE LO!

It's an all-around wonderful story, and such a great addition to YA, and I HIGHLY recommend it.
Acqua
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: aoc, db, predictable, paranormal, ya
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is actually not a bad book.

What do you do when you have a premise (Chinese demons in the Bay Area! Sun Wukong is a student at my school!) that would ask a lot of suspension of disbelief from your readers?
You write a book that is so intentionally over-the-top that no one can take what's happening seriously. What are you going to do, criticize it for being unrealistic? It's supposed to be that way. And, I mean, it works - this doesn't feel like a mediocre paranormal roma
alyssa
Aug 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
A book with a Chinese-American MC❓I'm definitely IN

I always have a hard time finding books with an Asian MC because for some odd reason, no authors want to write about that. And it kills me because as a Chinese and professional reader ( 😁 ), I would love to read something from my own culture.

Can't wait to read this and crosses fingers this is going to be a great book 🙂
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars
“Genie Lo, you are unquestionably, undeniably human,” he said. “You just … have a whole bunch of other stuff going on as well.”
“Tell me about it.”

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is a fun and engaging story of adventure, strength, and facing the unexpected. We follow Genie Lo who’s overachieving nature she hopes will land her a one way ticket to an Ivy League. Her steady and detailed plans are disrupted when her town is overrun by demons who’ve escaped from hell. Now Genie, along with new
Maf (Bookworm Wanders)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I ONLY HAVE 3 THINGS TO SAY RIGHT NOW:

1.- THIS BOOK WAS HILARIOUS
2.- GENIE AND QUENTIN ARE G. O. A. L. S.
3.- IS THERE GOING TO BE A SECOND BOOK THERE BETTER BE I NEED ALL THE AMAZINGNESS THAT IS GENIE LO IN MY LIFE
Trin
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
If The CW doesn't snap up the rights to this immediately, they're insane. Next Buffy, right here.
Marina
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, own, favorite
I absolutely loved everything about this book!

It was hilarious, original, fast-paced, and had amazing characters, great writing, and did I mention hilarious?!

It's not easy to write comedy or even something so effortlessly funny. But Yee combines loveable characters who sometimes act and say ridiculously absurd things in seemingly normal setting and you can't help but just giggle as the situations escalate.

If I had to describe our main character, Genie, it would be ballsy. She's got a temper, a m
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Genie Lo must be one of those accepted into Harvard... because she must escape her sleepy Bay Area suburb and her helicopter mother. When Quentin Sun speed races into her life dragging hellspawn behind him she's forced to rearrange her priorities. Come to find out he's really Sun Wukong, from Chinese mythology, the Monkey King, right down to the furry tale! And he's there because of her.

The short review...

To be honest I had a love hate thing go
Jen Ryland
Aug 05, 2017 marked it as to-read
I think my favorite thing about The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is how funny it was. Genie's a smart and snarky high school sophomore who is just trying to crush high school when she's suddenly faced with an alternate reality of demons and Emperors that she's not sure she wants to be a part of. (Of course, she doesn't have any choice!) Her narration had me laughing the whole way through.

I'm not at all familiar with Chinese folklore but loved learning about it and was happy to have a change from the
Goodreads Librari...: Please Update Cover 4 30 Apr 26, 2017 08:10AM
  • Icon of the Indecisive
  • Shadowhouse Fall (Shadowshaper, #2)
  • Serpentine (Serpentine, #1)
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Nightwing/Huntress
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • Hot as Hades
  • Right of First Refusal (Radleigh University, #2)
  • Since You Asked
  • Fat Hoochie Prom Queen
  • Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)
  • Natural Beauty
  • Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet
  • Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades, #3)
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • A Song for Bijou
F.C. Yee is currently the author of THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO. He will hopefully be the author of more YA books in the future.

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (2 books)
  • The Iron Will of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #2)
“People can always say I don't look impressive enough, but they can't argue over how strong I am once I punch them in the face.” 11 likes
“What’s the matter?” my mother snapped. “You sick?” I pulled my body back inside and bumped my head against the window hard enough to make the glass rattle, but the pain was inconsequential right now. “No, I . . . I just needed some fresh air.” She squinted at me. “Are you pregnant?” “What!? No! Why would you even think that?” “Well then if you’re not sick and you’re not pregnant then ANSWER ME WHEN I CALL YOUR NAME!” 10 likes