Start by marking “A Dangerous Nativity” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Nativity

A Dangerous Nativity

The Earl of Chadbourn loves nothing better than to care for his fields, his flocks, and the people who earn their living from the land. Trapped by his brother-in-law’s death into responsibility for his traumatized nephew, grieving sister, and an estate gone to ruin, loneliness overwhelms him. The first-rate husbandry of a neighboring farm and the woman who runs it draw him ...more
Published May 7th 2016 by Caroline Warfield (first published November 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Nativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Nativity

Marlene
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novelette, christmas
A Dangerous Nativity by Caroline Warfield

5 stars

William Landrum, the Earl of Chadbourn, has been away from home for two months. His sister Sylvia Wheatly is newly widowed and not emotionally equipped to deal with estate business. Nor is her son Charles, the new Duke of Murnane. Chadbourn is Charles' guardian and is taking on the responsibility of correcting the former duke's estate mismanagement. He's finding it very discouraging. Not only are the farms in a ramshackle state, but his sister and
Luli
3.5 stars.
Esta historia es super cortita, super dulce y super entretenida. A mí me ha servido para evaluar si la autora va a funcionar para mí o no, y la respuesta es sí, seguro que sí.
Los protagonistas son encantadores, para ser una historia tan corta hay un buen elenco de secundarios todos con sus historias personales y bien dibujados y el romance es muy bonito y tierno.
No he conseguido conectar con los niños…no sé muy bien por qué, pero me ha llamado la atención porque generalmente me gusta c
Loredana (Bookinista08)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this novella!! It was well-written and the story tackled the subject of domestic violence in a very realistic way, even for the regency era. William and Catherine were such sweethearts, and I really enjoyed them together. This historical romance was way cleaner than the ones I usually read (hehe!), but I enjoyed it just as much, that's how good it was!
Chris
3.5

Okay, it is a bit predictable, but the characters are well drawn and developed. There are some wonderful touches of humor.
Julia
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Crystal Cox
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency
Sweet Regency Novella With Strong, Complex Characters.

Will wants to care for his lands and his people but after his brother-in-law's death, he finds himself with a run-down estate ,a traumatized sister and nephew , and secrets about interesting neighbors. Catherine does not need the Earl of Chadbourn coming and upsetting her father but it doesn't seem like he is going to leave things alone. Even though this is a novella is sure did pack a lot of surprises and twist! I just loved all the strong c
Michelle Ferrari-Johnson
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Family Secrets

A fabulous story set in a past era with truly wholesome insight. A mystery to unravel and a love to discover. This story incorporates love, abuse, psychological wounds and the truth to be discovered. I truly enjoyed the clean cut ways of the Earl and how he rescues a family that has been shunned and neglected.

This will leave you smiling and in a happy place~
Carole (in Canada)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance, Regency
Shelves: regency, favorites
After reading a guest post on Maria Grace's website by Caroline Warfield, I thought I would check out this author's books. As luck would have it, it was free on Amazon and still is at the time of my review. This novella starts off 'The Dangerous Series'.

As the book description states, the Earl of Chadbourn, William, is struggling to deal with his late brother-in-law's estate, which has been poorly managed. Added to this problem, is the condition of his grieving sister, Sylvia, and her son, Char
Sandra
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charmingly witty & endearing romance.

Rather drawn to this heart warming story. It had enough intrigue and mystery in the form of an estranged family, with seeds planted of past torment and abuse, as well as highlights of romance and lighthearted humour especially from Catherine's endearingly charming kid brothers (and later the young Duke Charles) and their challenge to direct a, all farm animal cast, Christmas Nativity.
Overall, I loved the story, the chemistry between the leads: the charmin
Anna Richland
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Light and easy reading, Christmas novella. (Well, a secondary character was a victim of spousal abuse off the page, before the story begins, so there is fall out from that; but the H/h relationship was a nice journey without huge conflict). Two nice people working out the twists and hurdles in the people around them both, because they know perfectly well that they suit each other. I'd give it somewhere between a 3.5 and 4 ... it was a happy Christmas read when I needed one.

I would definitely con
Sieravonne
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice, intriguing story, however, I find the chemistry build-up between William and Catherine weak. Furthermore, I don't see William's marriage proposal strong enough to make Catherine agree. Moreover, as a duchess, Sylvia (William's sister) was such an annoying, overreacting baby. Lastly, when William and Catherine got married, it's going to be a complicated family tree because when you look at an another angle, Catherine was William's niece.
Melissa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Dangerous Nativity was a little different than most regency novels. First, the pretty lady DIDN’T need rescuing! Second, there weren’t any big dress-up dances, parties, etc. And finally, a mystery! (Actually that last part isn’t so rare but I do love a mystery so it…adds.) This novella even had fun little boy who were nice! I’ll admit I was totally confused as to who was the father of who/whom but that might have been my fault. Fun, easy and quick read.
4 Stars. Clean.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
A Dangerous Nativity (The Dangerous Series)

The love story of Catherine and Chadbourn. A Christmas love story. Catherine is the illegitimate daughter of a duke and she is now she is in love with an earl. Chadbourn is the guardian of the new duke and he must undo all the damage the old duke has done. Great Christmas story of love.
Sandra R
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Nicely written novella but the characters didn't really draw me in to this story - I can say I did finish it with some skimming. Not much of a romance and there were lots of secondary characters - it was really about the children and the family as a whole.
Stephani Austin
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute read

This was a cute and sweet Christmas story. I read it in one afternoon. It was a nice freebie to introduce me to a new author. I enjoyed this and will look out for her other books.
Anita
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet and engaging story, so hard to put it down!! Can't wait to read more books from this author.
Evonne Hutton
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A family divided and devastated by the rule of a cruel duke
Can it be rectified? Will is certainly willing to try!
Well written.
Melissa
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was better then I thought it would be. It was a short story that had a lot of depth, with a complete story line. I enjoyed the writing style. This was clean with some sweet kisses, no religion.
etherealfire
Kindle short story
Vivienne
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Disappointing
I really wish I had read the same book as the other reviewers. I got this book 2 months ago, based on these reviews as the reviewers are ones I admire and I usually enjoy the books they recommend. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, I don't know, but I found this book a real struggle. It is only 79 pages long but it took me TWO days to read it as I could only stomach a few pages at a time. It is well-edited and no problems with typos or grammar, but I found the story superficial (after a
Dee Deacon Foster
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
William Landrum, Earl of Chadbourne, wants many things…to be back at his own estate, his sister back to her bubbly self, his nephew to not be so afraid of everything and enjoy being a boy, and most of all to make sure his deceased brother-in-law is roasting in hell. Charged as his nephew’s guardian it’s his responsibility to oversee a poor excuse of an estate and turning that estate around weighs heavily on him. Until one fateful ride and a runaway goat gives him hope for the future.
Catherine Wh
Dottie
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received this book as part of an ARC in exchange for my honest review**

A very enjoyable and entertaining short story. This was my first time reading anything by Caroline Warfield, but it certainly will not be my last!
The Earl of Chadborn is helping his mourning sister settle her late husband's estate. He vows to uncover the secrets of Songbird Cottage and in the process falls for a lady. Catherine is instantly attracted to Will, but being the daughter of a country scholar she feels it would
Evelyn Nathalia
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story was really unique and I enjoy unraveling the story behind it. The Earl of Chadbourn got a really difficult responsibility. He had a great patience to deal with a dramatic sister and a scared nephew. He was a great man. Catherine was an intelligent woman with a lot of responsibility. Not only she took care of the husbandry but also her brothers. Literally she mothered two of them. Chadbourn and Catherine made a wonderful match.
I really like their temperament and knowing each one of the
Eileen
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Romantic and Humorous with Secrets to be Uncovered...Wonderful!

Rarely do I find a book with all the qualities mentioned in the header. This is a well crafted, clean story which draws many emotions from its characters. It is a page-turner...what family secrets need to be discovered so old wounds can heal? The humorous elements ripple through the story and kept me chuckling. The romance is sweet and builds slowly but surely.
I know others will love this book as I do. Now to find other books in this
Lynnette Dowdy
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was nice to have a book that was interesting and kept you intrigued without all of the sexual interactions and language. A nice clean book that anyone of any age could read. Thank you!!

It was nice to have a book that was interesting, kept you intrigued without all of the sexual interactions and language. A,nice clean book that all ages could read and enjoy. I would recommend it to anyone to read.
Charlotte Brothers
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this story was exceptional! It was beautifully written. The pacing was terrific. The main characters were people that I would want to spend time with and, indeed, I did while reading! There were problems, but not strong relationship angst that could have been solved with a good natter. It was cozy, sweet, and suitable for young romantics as well. A "clean" romance. Festive. Thank you, Caroline Warfield for the most excellent little read! I'll read more of your stories for sure.
Corinne
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A well-written tale, which I've read a total of three times (so far). The storyline is rather unique, one I have not read elsewhere.
The Earl of Chadbourn, guardian to his young nephew, the new duke, runs into several mysteries as he tries to sort out problems at the estate, especially the mystery surrounding the lovely young woman at the neighboring farm. Who is she exactly, what is her relationship to the two young boys in her care and why are they not welcome at the ducal estate.
claire jones
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This'd is the first book I have read by this author and found it to be a sweet,enjoyable tale.
William has gone to his sisters home after the death of her brutal husband,the duke.Through an accidental meeting he finds a group of siblings who help bring out the best in his sister and nephew.A story about the importance of as loving family.
This book is the first in a series so I am interested in reading the rest to follow the character's stories.
Teri Donaldson
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novella. It's the story of The Earl of Chadbourn, who is trying to help with the estate of his sister in mourning, a scared little nephew who was is much too young to be a duke, and a secret between the dead duke and his neighbors at Songbird Cottage. William pursues the neighbor to learn the secret. Little did he know that it was a beautiful woman, Catherine, trying to run the farm, take care of her father and raise her brothers.
It's a delightful and heartwarming story!
Liz Evans
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful..

This was a lovely tale that warms the heart, the story was well written & the characters are well developed.
Perfect book if your looking for a quick but satisfying read, I love Ms.Warfields storytelling ability, this book was absolutely delightful.
Caroline Warfield is the pseudonym of a writer who wishes she had walked through fascinating times in the shoes of one of her characters—but which one?

Caro has at various times been an army brat, a librarian, a poet, a raiser of children, a nun, a bird watcher, an Internet and Web services manager, a conference speaker, an indexer, a tech writer, a genealogist, and, of course, a romantic. She has