Start by marking “Lure of Obsession (Muse Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lure of Obsession (Muse Chronicles, #1)

Lure of Obsession

(Muse Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Melanie Jacoby teaches English at Crystal City High School. She’s also the reborn Muse of Tragic Poetry, but she isn’t prepared for the tragedy of finding her roommate dead at the bottom of the stairs.

Nate Malone is the detective assigned to the case, but as the evidence points to an accidental fall, the visions begin. He sees a killer in a gold Kronos mask.

Mel is the next
Published August 1st 2016 by Lisa's Lair

To ask other readers questions about Lure of Obsession, please sign up.
Lisa Kessler Great question! I actually wrote a short story a few years ago called "Unemployed Muses Anonymous" that put the Muses in today's world and each of…moreGreat question! I actually wrote a short story a few years ago called "Unemployed Muses Anonymous" that put the Muses in today's world and each of their personalities were heavily influenced by their muse...

I've thought about it ever since, and finally got a chance to write the books! :)

Lisa(less)

Claire Robinson
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "The gods were kind to me when they made me your muse..." Stars!

Lisa Kessler is an author who has been on my radar for quite some time, but every release I have seen for her lately has been a book that is part of a long running series, and I am one of those readers who has to start a series from the beginning.

As such when I saw Lure of Obsession was the first book in the authors new Muse Chronicles series, I did a small, but very rhythmic happy dance, at finally being able to see what this
Linda
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
When Mels roommate turns up dead and the police doesnt believe theres foul play at work, she doesnt know who to turn to. As one of the nine Muses, Mel embodies the Muse of Tragedy to the T.
Detective Nate thinks the death is an accident, until he gets a vision touching the door. Is he going mad or is there something greater at work here? When lore turns out to be reborn and real, Nate will have to decide if this is something he can do.
Something big and bad is targeting the Muses, and they need
Lorna
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
(RabidReads.com) I am a fan of Lisa Kessler’s, Moon series and have read and liked all of them. So it was an easy decision to read her latest release which is part of a new series. I must admit, the paranormal element was new to me as far as reading fiction. And that element is from Greek mythology-Muses.

Mel is the Muse of Tragic Poetry, having changed at the age of eighteen. She’s still human, but embodies the Muse. Now she has not only met the other eight Muses, but is in partnership with them
Kahea
***3.5 stars***

The premise of the book woke up my inner closet Greek mythology nerdgirl. I mean who doesn’t love the Greek gods and all of the stories about how they meddled and manipulated not only each other lives but those of the human’s who worshipped them? So, a story about the Muses being reborn and hunted by a fanatical group who believe that releasing the Titan’s is a good idea is definitely up my alley. And while I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to getting to know the rest of t
Margaret
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a way to start a new series! It’s no secret I’m a big Lisa Kessler fan, and this book has everything I have come to love about her writing – great characters, lots of emotions, great writing, and a story that pulls you in and makes you want to be a part of it. And I just love the premise of the series – focusing on the Muses and the mythology behind them.

Nate doesn’t do relationships, but when he meets Mel all of his protective instincts kick in. When he begins having visions about the murd
Shan
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to love reading this series! I love the premise of muses being reborn and having guardians! And of course, some type of evil out to get them! So much fun and romance!

Melanie is the first muse's story we get, Melanie is the Muse of Tragic Poetry, and her roommate, who was also a muse, has died. Melanie and the other muses suspect foul play, but the police say it was accidental. Nate Malone is the detective on the scene, and when he meets Melanie strange things begin to change for him. M
Elaine
Take Greek mythology, add a modern take, have murder, mystery and a handsome, protective Guardian and Lisa Kessler has the perfect recipe for another riveting series! There are nine Muses who have had dreams that led them to an old dilapidated theatre and each other.

One of them is Melanie Jacoby, and English teacher who is the reborn muse of tragic poetry. On returning home one evening she is shocked to find it in darkness. She shares her home with Nia, the Muse of Astronomy, who always has lig
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
The title fits perfectly because with the first words you are lured into this book and by the end you have become obsessed with this series! Or at least that is how it happened for me. I have been interested in reading this book and this series for a while and was so very not disappointed!

The whole concept of the rebirth of the nine Muses and how they are meant to inspire each new generation of humanity to move forward is fascinating and excellent for a mythological based romance, especially whe
Lyndi W.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtf
Super spoilery review because you definitely should not waste your time reading this.

Any romance novel that has a half naked man on the cover is an adult book - can we all agree on that? I think so. This felt more like YA at times (crazy angst), bordering every now and then on NA (lots of sex), but very rarely did it feel Adult (the sex was always gently worded). There was actually an "I mean, I like like you." moment.

So I like the basic idea of the plot - the nine muses are reborn over and over
Lisa
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I love paranormal romance, and I’ve enjoyed mythology since I was a kid. When I read the description for this book, I knew I had to read it. And I literally tore through the book in less than a day. I was immediately drawn into the story and could not put it down. Melanie, the Muse of Tragic Poetry, is dealt a shocking blow (along with her fellow Muses) when she finds her roommate/sister muse dead. Detective Nate Malone is assigned to work this case, and together they learn ...more
Elaine

Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mel and her muse sisters are working to restore an old theater. A dark and mysterious group seemingly appears out of nowhere and threatens their project and their lives. Enter Nate, the main male character in the book. Nate is a good guy who had a rough childhood and therefore a hard time letting others in. Mel and Nate share undeniable chemistry and are pushed together for survival in a suspenseful setting with a sinister villain.

The book was well-paced and kept me guessing. I enjoyed the Greek
Jan Murphree
Awesome!!!

Great story!! I can't wait to read about all the muses!!
There mates....and there HEA....its awesome!!
Mystery ...suspense...love... What more could you want.
Buy it read it!!! You will love it!!!
Can't wait for book 2!
Heather andrews
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Nate can ask for help at times, “yeah.” He slid free from her and sat up. “I’m sorry. Dammit. I’ve never forgotten before.” He looked over at her. “What do we do?” Her big, strong police detective was asking her what to do." I loved Nate he was protective as hell, and he could be sensitive.
Umaiya ✨Insignificant September✨

2.5 "It just didn't click" stars
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
This is my first time reading Lisa Kessler, and it made me eager to read more of her work. Lure of Obsession is the first book in the Muse Chronicles and I consider it a great start to the series.What the story is aboutLure of Obsession tells the story of Melanie Jacoby and Detective Nate Malone. Melanie a high school English teacher is the reborn muse of tragic poetry. She sees the tragic side of things, but the one tragedy she was not prepared for was finding her roommate and fellow Muse dead ...more
Dakota
I liked the idea of the muses reborn to inspire humankind. The story was ok, a cute but a bit easy to put down. A good start to the series though. Will look for the second book
Elizabeth Neal
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very unique premise: Each generation, nine women are chosen to embody the Greek muses, the daughters of Zeus. It is their destiny to inspire mankind in certain areas.

Melanie, aka Mel, is content. She has a job she loves and she's starting a company, a theater,  with her closest friends. But that changes the day she comes home and finds her friend and roommate, Nia, dead. When she calls the police, things change even more because only would the Muse of Tragic Poetry, the woman destined to struggl
RoloPoloBookBlog
Lure of Obsession by Lisa Kressler
Book #1: The Muse Chronicles
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Nate Malone is a damn fine detective and is absolutely certain the beautiful woman at the bottom of the stairs died from an accidental fall. His certainty fades when he meets the woman’s roommate, Melanie Jacoby and has the oddest mental image of a decidedly different kind of death. Since visions don’t actually count as evidence, Nate decides he’s either going crazy or the vision is real
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Lisa Kessler is definitely an author to read. Lure of Obsession, the first book in her Muse Chronicles has everything from friendship and love to suspense and mystery. The story sets up what promises to be an incredible series.

Melanie Jacoby is a high school English teacher. She’s a human, chosen by the Gods to be one of the nine daughters of Zeus, reborn to inspire mankind to move forward with inventions, music, and science. The nine chosen daughters have various backgrounds and are from all ac
Meghan Lloyd
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a quick read filed with romance and suspense, and the relationship between Mel and Nate was heartwarming. I finished it with a huge smile on my face.

Melanie Jacoby is a Muse, or rather, the incarnation of a Muse - the Muse of Tragic Poetry. She and her eight "sisters", who are also Muses, are attempting to restore a theater that will bring inspiration to the community. Everything and everyone is put in danger, however, when one of their sisters, the Muse of Astronomy, i
Robin Priest
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally Obsessed

The author shared a two chapter preview on Facebook about a month before the book got released, and I was hooked. I stayed up reading it as soon as my pre-order downloaded until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, then I spent all day at work willing the day to go faster so I could come home and finish reading the book. It exceeded my expectations.
This first book of her new series The Muse Chronicles follows Mel who is a modern day high school teacher with the spirit of the
Denise Van plew
I have read this author before so I was quite eager to enter into this one being it was promising to be a little different than what she usually writes. From the very beginning it sure would seem so and that was how this author got me to hanker down because I would thing just one more page then I will ....getting anything done is now in the wind because I am in more than knee deep in a refreshing storyline with that alone being a gem. This is also the first in a series with I don't mind that as ...more
Jen
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the Muse Chronicles focuses on Mel (Melanie) and Detective Nate. Mel has known since she was 18 that she is the Muse of Tragic Poetry and along with her 8 'sisters' make up the 9 muses which are reincarnated each generation. Mel is happy with her life as an English teacher and along with her sisters they are renovating an old theater. Nate is a great detective and is focused on his career and does not do relationships.
When Nate meets Mel it is at the scene of a crime (Mel's fri
Paula
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lure of Obsession by Lisa Kessler is the first book in a Muse Series. Naturally, there is much background to be built along with meeting the main characters and the supporting ones. Even though, the events of this story happen in the present, the age old war between the Greek gods and the Titans is nicely transplanted into the 21st century.

I loved the concept of the Guardian. Yes, it has been used before but still wonderfully done for Nate and Mel. Who else would be better suited than a police
Becky Burciaga
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This first book in a new series demonstrates that the future books hold promise to be entertaining...since the premise is about the nine daughters of Zeus, all Muses, and each book is about a different daughter/Muse, the series could run for a bit. This is the first book by Ms Kessler I've read and I must say I'm taken by her writing style...she a gifted storyteller!

I enjoyed that each Muse's personality traits reflected their names, i.e. Mel is the Muse of Tragic Poetry and tends to glimpse th
Anne
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Melanie (Mel) Jacobs, Muse of Tragic Poetry, came home to find her roommate, Nia's, Muse of Astronomy, lifeless body on the floor. Mel and her fellow muses were working together to start the Theater of the Muses, Les Neuf Soeurs, and the Order of the Titans would do anything to stop them.

Detective Nate Malone comes to the crime scene and cannot take his eyes off of Mel - he has a birthmark on his shoulder that starts to hurt, feeling like it had been branded.

Lisa Kessler has used ancient mytholo
Bobbi Haden
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All i can say is wow!!! I was hooked from the first chapter. I can't wait to read all of this series. Nate makes a great guardian to Mel's muse. Lisa has introduced a new series of characters without losing the story in this first book. Bringing this guardian and muse together to keep her safe and establish the basis for the rest of the muse series, has me ready to read them all to find out what their futures hold and the outcome of the battles they will face. Great read and you wont want to put ...more
Nola Arganbright
The glass is half full

A beautiful series that is taken from a mythical story. Mel and Nate meet when he saves her life. He experiences a haunting dilemma when he is around her and seems to know when she is in danger.
Could they possibly be fated to be Muse and Guardian as the scribes tell.
A heartwarming story of fate, danger, and love. Sensual love scenes and learning the glass can be half full .
Jeri
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a cool concept on the muses from Greek mythology. I liked the action and passion was exciting and intense. Each character struggled with inner turmoil, but fought their instincts to conquer their fears. Defintely gave you a wide range of emotions. The plot was fast paced and kept you engaged in the story. I will be finishing this series for sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Join my Facebook Writer Page Here

Follow Me on Twitter Here

Lisa's Blog

Wow! Goodreads just asked me for my city of birth and date of death... What if I could answer that? Would I live life differently if I knew for sure how much longer I had left?

Interesting thought.

That's generally how my writer brain works. I've been dreaming up stories since I was in elementary school. My first book was titled

Muse Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legend of Love (Muse Chronicles, #2)
  • Breath of Passion (Muse Chronicles, #3)
  • Light of the Spirit (Muse Chronicles, #4)
  • Devoted to Destiny (Muse Chronicles, #5)
  • Dance of the Heart (Muse Chronicles, #6)
  • Song of the Soul (The Muse Chronicles Book 7)
  • The Muse Chronicles - Books 1 - 3 (The Muse Chronicles Set)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
“He took the spatula and smiled, and she headed for the bedroom, only stopping once to see if he was watching her ass wiggle under his shirt.

He chuckled. “I’d have to be dead not to look.”

“I’m glad to see you’re in good health.” She grinned.”
30 likes
“He raised a brow at another abrupt change in the conversation. “Are you disappointed I couldn’t dodge a couple bullets?”

A real smile teased her lips as she lowered her coffee mug. “On the contrary, I’m a sucker for a guy with scars, so for your protection, we should probably stick to the case.”
29 likes