Start by marking “The Joy of Quiz” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Quiz

The Joy of Quiz

'An absolute must-read for anyone who loves quizzes ... I loved it!' Richard Osman

A jaunty journey into the world of the quiz, from the question editor of BBC2's Only Connect, sometimes in the form of 300 excellent quiz questions

In 1938 Britain started to quiz. Since then, quizzes have become ubiquitous entertainment from pubs to primetime, suffered major criminal investig
Published November 3rd 2016 by Particular Books

Start your review of The Joy of Quiz
Susan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you enjoy quizzes or game shows? If so, then you really need to read this book, which is a history of radio and television quizzes since the 1930’s. If you enjoy quizzes, on any level, then this is a delightful, fascinating romp through the history of quizzes, the scandals, the winners, losers and changes that have occurred over the years.

I am more of a casual watcher of some quizzes, so I had not heard of many of these probably ‘famous’ – or ‘infamous’ – events, but I enjoyed reading about
Andrew
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very readable - with quiz questions incorporated into the text!
Ben Dutton
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love to quiz, this book won't make you any better at it, but it will make you better informed on this most oddest, yet brilliant, pursuit. Alan Connor has compiled what has to be the definitive history of quiz, and told its story in an easy going manner that makes this book so enjoyable to read. Recommended for the quiz fan and the curious about quiz.
Philip A
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this insight into the world of quiz. The book takes you through the development of the quiz medium we all know today, with stories of important events, shows, board games, all with quiz questions woven into the prose.
Louise Culmer
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and informative book about the history of quizzes. It deals mainly with British and american quiz programmes, on radio and tv, and tries to fathom why people enjoy them so much. Some programmes get more attention than others, a lot of space is devoted to Mastermind for instance, and not very much to the more demanding (I think) Fifteen to One. Some rate barely a mention, for instance Criss Cross Quiz, which I remember enjoying very much as a child, is mentioned in passing without an ...more
Matt
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Probably just as good as his book on crosswords , but I'm less interested in the topic and found the question-answer gimmick slightly annoying. (The text is interspersed with quiz-style questions -- often real-world examples from the shows under discussion, sometimes just facts that could easily have been included normally in the text -- with the answers printed upside-down at the foot of the page. In most cases I found this broke my reading flow without adding much interest.) Still good fun tho ...more
Dave
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roberta
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I expected this book to be a little repetitive and heavily referential. What it turned out to be was the fascinating history of quiz interweaved smoothly with actual quiz questions and answers. In other words, while it tells the history and general existence of quiz as a pastime, radio and TV phenomenon and pub entertainment, the book is simultaneously a quiz in itself, and a very well-done one, too.
Alan Connor is a setter of quizzes and an excellent writer who has created an absolute gem for an
Vicki Turner
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Growing up in a family who enjoyed quizzes, much of Alan Connor's book is a nostalgic saunter through my formative years. However, there is much more to this book. The origins of quizzing are far more recent than I had thought, and the process of its evolution is an intriguing one, as is the development of professional quizzers. Questions spread throughout the text are an added bonus.
Ayush Malviya
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like its name, the book was a joy to read. Highly recommended, especially if you're a quizzer.
Stephen Wood
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hugely entertaining brief history of (mostly broadcast) quizzing — complete with adorable playalong questions — that will appeal to anyone who has spent a day bingeing Challenge.
David Hogg
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and informative book about the history of quizzing, with facts and trivia spread throughout. You can even play along, as the author has included some questions in the text.
Andy Plonka
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
I don't see myself being either a Quiz "setter" or contestent, but the history behind quiz and what a quiz entails is interesting.
R Cloake
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating insight into how quizzes are constructed and the tricks of the trade. There's a surprising amount of psychology that goes into setting a good quiz.
James
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable history of quiz, with some great nuggets of trivia (Hans Zimmer wrote the Going For Gold theme tune??). Great fun.
Laine
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Quizzes which are no fun and which give no prozes are not popular".

Izlasīju, jo ziemassvētku dāvana. Un daudz vakaru pavadīti ar Weakest link.

Galvenais - kā mainījušies jautājumi, un ko tālāk.

Vēlreiz? Droši vien, daudz interesantu jautājumu.
Chris Marsh
Katharine
Dec 23, 2016
Colin
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great fun. Alan Connor traces the history of our obsession with quizzing in an informative and highly entertaining book covering everything from the earliest origins of quizzes, to the behind the scenes mechanics of how questions are set (and fascinatingly, how they are checked and verified before they get anywhere near being asked in a television or radio studio), to the great quiz scandals (cough cough) and of course the great characters that quizzing throws up. The book itself is brilliantly ...more
Tim

• Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 2
  • Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World
  • Mad Girl
  • Arthur & George
  • Tennison (A Jane Tennison Thriller #1)
  • The Silent Twin (Detective Jennifer Knight, #3)
  • Settled Blood (DCI Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Gallows Drop (DCI Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Deadly Deceit (DCI Kate Daniels, #3)
  • My Big Greek Summer
  • My Sister Milly
  • The Missing
  • Why Homer Matters
Alan Connor is a British writer, journalist and television presenter. First seen on Channel 4's youth entertainment programme The Word in 1995 he later appeared on The Big Breakfast and BBC Radio Five Live and was a BBC News correspondent, appearing on BBC News 24 and The Daily Politics.

His scriptwriting credits include the comedy-drama A Young Doctor's Notebook, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Jon