Start by marking “In Graves Below (Magic, New Mexico)” as Want to Read:
In Graves Below (Magic, New Mexico)

In Graves Below

(Magic, New Mexico World)

Riya Sanobal, a mostly-human rarity in her magical family, hides her heritage and magical talent for doors in favor of her dance career. A rich arts patron likes her work, and a visiting star likes her, but she's distracted by vivid dreams of a sexy, Native American warrior who defeats cheating demons and kisses like, well, a dream.

Time is running out for disabled vetera
Published May 3rd 2016 by Kindle Worlds

To ask other readers questions about In Graves Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Graves Below

Start your review of In Graves Below (Magic, New Mexico)
Lola
I received a free copy of this book from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

After two 3 star reads and a DNF book I was afraid I was going to tumble into one of a reading slumps. I couldn't figure out which book I wanted to read, until I scrolled past this one. It was exactly the type of book I was in the mood for and picking up a book by a favorite author is always a good idea. I love the way Carol Van Natta crafts her stories and how realistic and relatable the main characters are.

As this
Lee
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Riya Sanobal, a door mage, barista, and modern dance choreographer, dreams of a lovely man with eagle feet who fights demons. She’s a little confused when Idrian Odair, the warrior from her dreams, shows up at her practice space and says he’s been looking for her. Idrian is the last dreamwalker of his people and is searching for his dreamwalk partner because his grandfather’s ghost is constantly heckling him about it. There’s a prophecy involving her, and a potential demon influx. Can the two of ...more
Debrac2014
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good! I liked both Riya and Idrian, and Idrian ancestors were a hoot!
Dan
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed it.
Diane
3.4 Goodreads; 4 stars Amazon:
I liked it, but it felt a bit too easy

The Magic, NM, shared-world premise, a community that's an illusion-disguised haven for many sorts of magical beings, has a lot of potential for exploration. This volume, however, took place only partly there, with only minor involvement of any inhabitants besides the hero and his meddling ancestral spirits. It focuses on a fantastical extrapolation of mainly-Native mythology and mysticism, though CVN avoided using any existing
Jean Smith
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One hot, sexy, wounded warrior.

What came to me multiple times as I read In Graves Below was the amazing photography of sexy wounded veterans by Michael Stokes. Ms. van Natta’s description of Idrián brought these images to mind over and over again as Idrián proved to be a survivor, wounded and scarred physically but with a resolve and strength of spirit and character that left me enthralled. Just as endearing is Riya’s ability to see past the scars to the loving warrior beneath.

Idrián is one of t
Jessie Collins
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magic New Mexico: In Graves Below (Kindle Worlds)

Carol Van Natta

I had never read anything by Carol Van Natta before. I was intrigued because I am a diehard fan of Susan "S E" Smith. Her Magic New Mexico has something for nearly everyone! You will see Magic, Fantasy, SciFi, Paranormal, History...it really is "where the creatures of fairy tales, myths and nightmares are free to be themselves and find their happily ever after!" But how they get there......

Riya Sanobal is like many of us, she is a t
Barbara Tyree
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Indrian Odair has suffered injuries from when he served in Iraq and Afghanistan; including the loss of his legs. He's gotten used to the stares, people talking behind his back, and the looks.
His grandfather, Blackhawk recently died and Idrian is waiting for him to reappear so he can tell him how to access protective wards around Idrian's ranch to keep demons away.
Riya Sanabal, a dancer has "magic abilities" in her family. Her father was a cloud spirit and can only visit earth for a few months at
Eva Millien
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Graves Below (Magic New Mexico / Kindle Worlds) Carol Van Natta Idrián Odair is a disabled veteran and the last dreamwalk warrior of his tribe and in order to protect his ancestral lands, he needs to find his partner before time runs out in this exciting paranormal romance.

Riya Sanobal hides her heritage and magical talent for doors in favor of her dance career but dreams of a sexy, Native American warrior is causing quite the distraction and readers can’t help but become enthralled by these
Barbara
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this paranormal romance of Idrian Odair, the Native American disabled vet and Riya Sandal, the beautiful dancer who is his dreamwalk partner. They meet in their dreams in the dreamwalk plane and once they finally connect in the real world, they must fight together to defeat a soul eating demon and his ravenous demon horde. I loved this world of Magic, New Mexico and the Native American warrior with his ties to the land and the spirits of his ancestors, as well as the magical ...more
Severine Wolfe
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First Time Reader

I've never read her before, but this author is good. I honestly don't like Native American stories because I grew up on the rez and frankly, so far nobody's got it right.

I loved the protagonists. They have just the right balance of modern sarcasm and respect for their history. I really liked how he was a wounded warrior without all the angst. I hope Ms Van Natta writes more.
Melissa
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

Take a scarred vet who happens to be a dream walker and a woman that looks below the surface, add in magic, annoying ancestors, a soul eater, demons who multiply like rabbits and you have the makings of a brilliant story. This story is very special and another great addition to the New Mexico Kindle World, bravo.
Pam Collins
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this series!

Imaginatively zany and full of all the best components of great literature. This entire series is fabulously enthralling.
Reading all the different excellent authors that create these marvelous books is a terrific way to find your next favorite one like I have.
Jeanne M. Jacquet
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spirited

This is a great story to introduce Native American spiritualism to newbies. I really enjoyed the contrasting histories of the characteristic.
Llaph
This book was on a list of possible books given by an author I really like. The premise sounded awesome, I liked most everything about the parts of the story, but they just didn't mesh right to me. I felt like I were missing some info and there was so much potential for certain things that weren’t fleshed out enough for me. It also felt like the story was told more by rote or recitation—I’m not sure exactly how to explain that. It felt more of a tell than show at points to me. That could be beca ...more
Norma  Grogan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A FUN, EXCITING, MAGICAL BOOK!

I very much enjoyed Carol Van Natta's journey to S.E. Smith's enchanting world of Magic, New Mexico. A place in the heart of the beautiful New Mexico desert where magic is as real as the wizards, shifters, oracles, mages, spirits and many other fascinating beings of this and other realms that inhabit it. Unfortunately, not all of these extraordinary and otherworldly beings are good or welcome in and around Magic or in cities such as Denver which isn't too far away.
Amy Shannon
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

Van Natta's In Graves Below is another great book from this wonderful writer. I read as much as I can from Van Natta, and always enjoy her books. This book was simply magical and yes, majestic. A scarred Vet that's a dream walker is just the start of the story. It's remarkable and I read it from cover to cover. There are definitely interesting characters, with the powers of magic, both light and dark, with that hint of paranormal. Van Natta gives this reader just what she wants
Virginia James
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the storyline. However I got the book because of the fun mayhem and characters of the town of Magic. There was very little of that world in the book.
Val Booklover
** The author kindly sent me a free copy in exchange for posting an honest review **

First, a caveat: this is the first story I read that is built in the universe of "Magic, New Mexico", so any idiocies I may utter here regarding the context is obviously my fault, ok?

That settled, let me tell you this is a novella or short novel about a scarred and disabled warrior -the last of his people- finding the partner that helps him save the land of his ancestors, the "reality" from soul-eating demons, a
William Howe
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Clumsy, rushed, and poorly proofed

I love the Aeon Flux books. This does not measure up.

In the final remarks from the author I discovered that this is not her world. It shows.

The characters are vivid, but everything else is so chaotic it feels unplanned. There is an urgency to everything that makes it feel rushed and barely coherent. Almost info-dump level of 'tell' with inadequate 'show' to pull it together. The magic lacks any semblance of a system.

I like the author's work. There are moments th
Peggy
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story with magic, heroes and demons!

A story about a native American warrior who was wounded serving in the U.S. armed forces. This warrior is a shaman who dreamwalks. His grandfather's spirit helps him find his dreamwalker partner who is in danger from a soul stealing demon!
julia Samson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow!

Love this book. I liked especially the take on Native American legend. Having been born in New Mexico and rock hounded there; it was great to read the love of the area.
Tammy
Mar 08, 2018
Allie
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Silver Bound (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • A Touch of Harmony (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • Magic In His Touch (Little Angel Rescue Book 2 & Magic, New Mexico 18)
  • Red in the Morning (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds)
  • Red at Night (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds)
  • Silver Unleashed (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • Storm's Magical Halloween (Little Angel Rescue / Magic, New Mexico Book 36)
  • Gold Rush (Dragons of Tarakona / Magic, New Mexico Book 38)
  • Gold Fever: Dragons of Tarakona (Magic, New Mexico Book 39)
  • Tempting Tabitha (Magic New Mexico #48\Zolon Warriors Book 4)
  • Blood Entwined (The Laurent Blood Legacy / Magic, New Mexico Book 44)
  • Touch of Darkness (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds; Dragons of Zalara Book 5)
  • Touch of Beauty
  • Loving Phoenix (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • Bewitching Birgit (Magic, New Mexico Kindle World; Zolon Warriors Book 1)
  • Seducing Sela (Magic, New Mexico Kindle Worlds Novella; Zolon Warriors Book 2)
  • Raining Magic (Messing Up Magic #3 / Magic, New Mexico 43)
  • Dangerous Magic (Wolf Creek Pack, #1)
Carol Van Natta writes science fiction and fantasy, including Overload Flux, Minder Rising, Zero Flux, Pico's Crush, and Jumper's Hope, the first five books in a space opera series; In Graves Below (Magic, NM) , a paranormal romance; and Hooray for Holopticon , a retro science fiction comedy. She shares her Fort Collins, CO home with a sometime mad scientist and various cats. Any vio ...more

Magic, New Mexico World (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Touch of Decadence (Magic, New Mexico; Magic Mirror #1)
  • Touch of Curiosity (Magic, New Mexico)
  • Bewitching Birgit (Magic, New Mexico Kindle World; Zolon Warriors Book 1)
  • A Touch of Prudence (Magic, New Mexico)
  • Touch of Heat (Magic, New Mexico)
  • Touch of Deceit (Magic, New Mexico; Magic Mirror #2)
  • Touching Topper (Magic, New Mexico; My Crazy Alien Romance #2)
  • Etched In Stone (Magic, New Mexico #4)
  • Tangling With Topper (Magic, New Mexico; My Crazy Alien Romance #1)
  • Taste of Wicked