Start by marking “Super (Arca #1)” as Want to Read:
Super (Arca #1)

Super

(Arca #1)

Adrenaline junkie and almost-respectable accountant Zita Garcia wouldn't know a superhero from some dude in his pajamas. As a result, the second-to-last thing she expected was to wake from a spontaneous coma, quarantined, and with super powers she has to hide from everyone, including her family. Now Zita must master her new abilities while dodging kidnappers, evading gover ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Karen Diem

To ask other readers questions about Super, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super

Start your review of Super (Arca #1)
Jim
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super is the first novel of (so-far) three books and multiple short stories. It depicts a world where certain people have fallen into a coma and emerge with superhuman powers.

An action adventure, Super starts with not-so-mild-mannered Zita Garcia on a blind date which goes bad quickly. After Zita emerges from her coma, still powerless, she finds she and her companions are all stuck in a locked-down medical facility. While the world outside is starting to adjust to living with superheroes, Zita's
Iori
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Arca is pure awesomeness!!

I like well written stories and this is definitely one! Zita is so fun, Wyn and Andy are good bantering partners. And the rest of the cast only ask for more fleshing out. I can't wait for the next book to be released.
Diane
Joint-review problem: s/b 3 on Goodreads, but 4 on Amazon = I liked it
It's not quite good enough for a Goodreads 4 (i.e., "I REALLY liked it"), though. At first, I would have just called it "not bad". There were a few awkward phrasings (e.g., several times saying "the Latina" for Zita, which felt oddly distancing), but by the time we reached the action climax, I was fully involved.

The banter between Zita and her friends, and between her and her brothers, feels believable — lame, yes, and not-i
Paula Letterman
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest, I haven't read many ethnically diverse books. After I caught on to the nicknames and some of the words, I enjoyed the book tremendously. The heroin was just the right amount of reluctant and oblivious to what should be done that she was very entertaining. I like short smart mouthed women. Reminds me of my baby sister. Kudos! ...more
Michelle
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Villians, superheros and laughter. That's what I would call a great combination. Thanks and keep up the goodwork. I look forward to reading the next installment!
Stephen Manning
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two stars means I finished the book but I didn't like it and I will not be picking up the rest of the series. ...more
Jennifer Linsky
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rather enjoyable, and nice to see a woman of color as a main character. I hope "Farnswaggle's thirteenth theorem" gets explicated later in the series. ...more
Kevin
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The unavoidable "how did this happen" is minimized; allowing the plot lines and characters to be maximized.

Loved it.

Recommended.
Tony Fecteau
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very refreshing super hero story! I loved our main characters and the villans are very remembered as well.
Jenevieve Power-DeFer
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It was good fun. I Love Zita and her friends. I read it in one day, it was THAT good.
Christopher
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: super-hero
I enjoyed this book. Overall, it was a fun read and I had trouble putting it down. The super-hero genre has been barely creeping along for decades, but apparently this is the decade for it to flourish, and this novelist has done a fair job of getting her foothold in it.

The characters are pretty good. They aren't all that deep, but this IS a super-hero novel. Deep can be added later, after the readers get tired of the flash and bang. The main character is funny, adventurous, and geek-world-ignora
mirba
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
As everybody says, this is a fun quick book to read.
Suggested if you are searching something light to fill up an evening
Henry Lazarus
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Karen Diem tells a tale of ordinary people who get super powers after suffering a coma that effects thousands Zita Garcia, has been working several odd jobs while she trains heavily for an Olympic sport that really doesn’t exist. It’s all part of a reaction from almost dying of cancer as a child. When the coma victims are all quarantined, she meets friends from the cancer ward. Then the area is attacked and she and her friends escape with new found powers. Her Super (ebook) powers include the ab ...more
David Harriss
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.6 Nice Start

This one is decent, especially for early in the author's career.

People get powers. All with symptoms get sequestered by an incompetent government. Bad guys come out of the woodwork to capture, kidnap, study, or kill the new supers. Chaos ensues.
Standard formula, but well done.

The strength is the lead, Zita Garcia. She is feisty, observant, skilled, and funny. Combined with her friends, she is very entertaining.

The weakness is the pacing. Specifically, the pacing of plot and prose a
Pierre Croonenberghs
Good start to a new series. Reminds me of Jennifer Estep's Venom; diverse characters with fun personal flaws. A lot of good work has gone into this first book, and it has the potential to develop into an entertaining and very much fun series.
Dialogue and plotting should get better as the author gains more experience. This is better writing than I can do, so I feel funny critiquing this work.
All in all this is a fun read, which is one of the first things I look for in a new novel. I do recommen
John Harris
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Jury is still out. I picked this novel up numerous times over a 3 month period but it always failed to sustain my interest with rather under-developing characters. I finally finished it and will purchase the follow-up just to see where the plot is ultimately going but it will be the last if it languishes as well.
Ria Loader
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun superhero read

I enjoyed this superhero romp. Likeable characters, ensemble plot, action and humor. Liked the plot resolution with room for more adventures and character development.
Ken Horne
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting super take

The story focuses on a bit of a different character, best at clever uses of power rather than all out slug fests. Interesting side characters are created that could easily be fleshed out, as well as hints of something bigger and badder in the future.
Gail and Rick's Family
Fun, light hearted

A mix between Heroes / every other superhero story you've ever heard. I did enjoy the latino flare, though, the characters are pretty 1 dimensional and always win the day. I enjoyed it. It was a fun read.
Thomas Kropp
I really enjoyed the variety of superhero characters in the story. The chemistry between the three main characters was also a plus. I loved the comedy throughout the whole book too. I am looking forward to more of Zita's adventures. ...more
Keith
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a bird... What it is

An interesting take on heroes just getting started. Tho I'm guessing most don't have clothing issues as often as she does.
Dennis Key
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good urban fantasyuires a minimu

A fun read. I look forward to more. I really hate this review system that requires a minimum number of words. It's why I don't do more reviews.
Heather Henkel
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun book

I really enjoyed this book. It was a really great read. I liked the characters and the superhero powers they each got.
Jørgen Gangfløt
Sam Jr.
Jun 13, 2016
NELKEN  ROBERT
Aug 09, 2016

• Secret Origins (Action Figures #1)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #3)
  • Black Magic Women (Action Figures #2)
  • Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #2)
  • Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #1)
  • Calculated Risks (InCryptid, #10)
  • Crystal Dragon (Crystal Dragon #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • EVO: UPRISING (The First, #2)
  • Villainous (The White Knight & Black Valentine #2)
  • Sensation (Kid Sensation, #1)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • DIRE: WARS (The Dire Saga #4)
  • Dire: Sins (The Dire Saga #5)
  • Seed (The Dire Saga, #2)
  • Time (The Dire Saga, #3)
  • Dire: Hell (The Dire Saga #6)
  • Pasts Imperfect (Action Figures #3)

Arca (3 books)