Start by marking “Roses of May (The Collector, #2)” as Want to Read:
Roses of May (The Collector, #2)

Roses of May

(The Collector #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  22,283 ratings  ·  1,925 reviews
Four months after the explosion at the Garden, a place where young women known as the Butterflies were kept captive, FBI agents Brandon Eddison, Victor Hanoverian, and Mercedes Ramirez are still entrenched in the aftermath, helping survivors in the process of adjusting to life on the outside. With winter coming to an end, the Butterflies have longer, warmer days of healing ...more
Published May 23rd 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Roses of May, please sign up.
Santa Sylvia Do you have any recommendation of books similar to the Butterfly Garden?

Do you have any recommendation of books similar to the Butterfly Garden?

Roses of May is unfortunately not one of these books :( I have been waiting for it as much as you but it's only a weak shadow of the original.(less)
Laura https://dothutchison.com/2016/06/22/b...

"There will be a companion novel out next year, entitled Roses of May, and while it’s not a direct sequel, we will be following our Butterflies and FBI team for a time. The bulk of the story shifts to a new case, a new story, but some things don’t leave us so easily. Is it surprising if Butterflies have a way of lingering?"(less)

·  22,283 ratings  ·  1,925 reviews

Start your review of Roses of May (The Collector, #2)
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Solomon ✴ The Bookish King
Oh boy. Where to start. I knew I shouldn’t have complained about the dang ending in the previous book. Deep breath. So last year I stumbled upon a novel titled The Butterfly Garden on NetGalley and decided it looked equal parts disturbing and beautiful, and it was both of those things and so much more. I have raved about that book for well over a year now, and if the ending hadn’t thrown in a few unnecessary details in attempting a shocking twist, it would have been my favorite read of the entir ...more
Candace
'Roses of May' is the second book in 'The Collector' series, by Dot Hutchison. Although there are a few connections, through characters, between the two books, they are really not a major factor. This book could easily be read as a standalone.

This book is told from multiple POVs, but the majority of the book is told from the POV of Priya Sravasti. Year's ago, Priya's sister, Chavi, was murdered by a serial killer that has managed to evade capture for over a decade. Now it seems that she has beco
Always Pouting
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Years ago Priya Sravasti's sister was murdered by a serial killer who is still at large, leaving her family irreversibly changed. Her mother, Deshani, must constantly change location for her work helping to shape up HR departments making them move across the country constantly. When Priya's mother is profiled for her success she happens to mention the new town they're moving to this time leading the serial killer after them. When flowers that match up with the murder victims begin to show up on ...more
Mary Beth
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 250-up-to-date
For those that loved THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN...

This is the second book of The Collector Series. I recommend that you start with book 1 The Butterfly Garden. I loved The Butterfly Garden and this one was really creepy good. I didn't find it to be as disturbing as the first book. I loved this one too. It continues the story of the butterfly girls while introducing us to a new plot.

There is a new serial killer who kills a teenage girl and leaves her body in a church surrounded by flowers, every spri
Mischenko
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
See my full review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

I read The Butterfly Garden in 2016 and it was truly a captivating thriller. When I saw that the second book was out, I requested it from NetGalley right away. The problem was that I was too late getting to it and ended up having to purchase the book. I didn’t mind because I expected that I would love this one as much as the first.

The story follows Priya, a girl who lost her sister Chavi four years ago after she was murdered. Priya and
Tulay
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Don't recommend.

This second book isn't as engaging as the first book. One clever and obnoxious girl and her mother. Understanding and patient FBI characters. Parts of the story was confusing, found myself re-reading some parts. Won't be reading the next book in this series.
Kylie D
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, seeing as the first book in the trilogy was so powerful, and I was wondering if this follow up would be a worthy successor. It only took me a few pages, however, to be sucked right in. In this book Priya and her mother have moved to Colorado, trying to find a new life after the brutal slaying of her sister 5 years before, a victim of a serial killer. It doesn't take long for the madman to find her there though. He starts stalking her, leaving her flow ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 The Butterfly Garden ★★★★★
#2 Roses of May ★★★★☆
#3 The Summer Children ★★★★★

"And he realizes that no, he doesn't have to be here. There's no Bureau requirement, no order, no generally agreed guideline, nothing official that mandates his presence at the funeral of a girl who killed herself because the seams where she broke the first time were too fragile to stitch together a second time."

It's hard enough on the agents when the butterflies start falling apart, but suicides of girls who can't
Meredith
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Roses of May is a psychological thriller about a young girl seeking closure for her sister’s murder.

Priya Sravasti’ is being targeted by a serial killer; the same killer that murdered her sister several years ago. The majority of the narrative is told through Priya’s POV. She is struggling to cope with her sister’s death, her father’s abandonment, and her desire for revenge.

At the same time, Priya is being protected by the Quantic0 3, a group of FBI agents on the hunt for the serial k
Jess☺️
The Roses of May is the second book in Dot Hutchison the collector series.
This one isn't my favourite I found it to be kind of slow to start , it picked up almost at the end.
I liked the slight continued story from book one the the girls from both stories interact really well and fun.
You know soon in who the stalker/killer was it's pretty obvious.
I would still recommend this one I'm looking forward to the next.
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Nobody was more excited than me to get their hands on THE ROSES OF MAY, the sequel to the amazing thriller, THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN. I'm picky about thrillers and think a lot of the ones out there are crap, but THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN was that 1 book out of 100 that stayed with me, haunted me, and kept me on the edge of my seat, desperate to know what happened next. When I found out there was a sequel, I was stoked as a stoat.

ROSES OF MAY isn'
Jill McGill
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Wow... Dot Hutchison has done it again!!! Her imagination is scary, creepy and absolutely brilliant!

The Roses of May is the 2nd book in “The Collector" trilogy series, but it isn’t a direct sequel to The Butterfly Garden. You will see the “Butterflies” throughout, but the main focus of this book is on a teenage girl, Priya Sravasti, who lost her sister to a diabolical serial killer that surrounds his victims with different types of flowers. Hanoverian, Eddison, and Ramirez, “The Quantico 3”, are
Jan
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, series
Had a love/hate relationship with this book, and I think I have myself to blame for that!

As soon as I saw the follow up to The Butterfly Garden, I knew I had to grab this, hoping for another 5 star read. I honestly don't think I even bothered to read the description-I just had to know what happened to the captive Butterflies! I don't think I am the only person who felt this way either.
So here is where the disappoint comes into play and my expectations fell apart....

While there are some mentions
RedemptionDenied
Sep 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Oooh - the Kindle edition is currently on special offer - $1.35 in the States and £0.99p in the UK.
Sarah Joint
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Butterfly Garden was a book that stuck with me. It was dark, it was disturbing, it is the kind of book you just don't simply forget about. Though I remembered the plot well and most of the characters, I re-read it before this one. Not only to refresh my memory, but because I just knew I'd genuinely enjoy it again. I'm glad I did, and would really recommend you start with the first book before this one. Though it adds new main characters, several we met in the first feature as well.

This one
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book isn't really a proper sequel in my opinion. I was really confused at the start of the book because I couldn't figure out who each of the characters were and whether they were in book 1 or not; Google wasn't much help so I just powered on reading in hopes that I would catch on and eventually, I did. I feel like this book would have been a lot better if it was a standalone book and not part of the trilogy. Hutchison could have kept the Quantico Three (the three agents that link book 1 & ...more
MissBecka
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MissBecka by: Jane
WOW! I think I liked this even more than the first book!
It was not as heavy or dark as the first book, but it certainly had it's twisted aspects.
I thought Priya and her mum were a wonderful addition to the already fantastic characters.
Their sarcasm and snarky inner monologues had me nodding my head with approval while fighting back giggle fits.
Super excited to dig into the next book!

"There is nothing resting about that bitch face."
Nandakishore Varma
Sigh. I don't know what to say. This book, I have to state sadly, is absolute trash.

The first book in the series, The Butterfly Garden, despite its wildly improbable premise and absolute let-down of an ending, managed to hold the reader's interest throughout. This one, the second in the series, though much more believable, had me yawning about 20 percent into the book. There is a serial killer who murders young girls, sometimes rapes them too, and arranges them with floral decorations in church
Crime by the Book
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Find my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2018/3...

3.5/5 stars for this one. While I did enjoy this book, I didn’t *love* it. It’s incredibly hard not to compare this book to its predecessor, THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN - this book just doesn’t have the same gripping, addictive, dark tension of TBG. That being said, I did really enjoy this story’s main character, Priya. This one’s a mixed bag!
Monnie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Right up front, I will say this: Before you read this book - the second in the author's Collector Trilogy - read the first (The Butterfly Garden). It's probably possible to read this one as a standalone, but I'm quite sure I would not have enjoyed it half as much without being privy to the background and characters from its predecessor.

And boy, did I ever enjoy it! While it's not quite as dark and grisly as the first, perhaps, it's not all that far off; the prologue, written years ago, hints tha
Wendy
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Roses Of May is the 2nd book in the "Collector" series by Dot Hutchison.
While this was a gripping novel it didn't have the same shock factor as the 1st in the series, The Butterfly Garden.
This story follows the same detectives as they dive into another unrelated case. However, the characters and the story from The Butterfly Garden interweave slightly with this story.
A serial killer is, once again, on the prowl and the detectives have formed a friendship with the sister of one of the murde
Tudor Vlad
I received an advanced copy of this book courtesy of Thomas & Mercer and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“How do you put yourself back together when the pieces permanently lost are the only reasons anyone’s looking at you?”

The thing with this book is that you have to leave The Butterfly Garden behind, don’t do the mistake I did and expect a sequel with the same spirit as the original, this is not what you’re going to get. What you will get is a book that builds upon The Butterfly Gar
Shaina
This book felt entirely different in tone and plot— well to me, it was almost entirely a different thing. It felt weird when it referred to the book before. It was good though, but it was definitely its own.
One good thing about it was that it covered the survivors and the family of one of them. It showed their interactions, and those continued of someone else trying to take another life. Talk about bad luck. :-/

The main character, a teenager, mmhmm, cursed a lot for someone her age and supposed
Jane
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
UPDATED 5/24/18 -- Increased rating from 2 to 3.5 stars.

Ok, I gave this one another go and was finally able to get into it a bit better. I think the mistake I made was choosing the audiobook route for this one. The story itself is ok, and the narrators are ok, but together I think this is a case where the sum of the parts far exceed the whole.

As far as the story goes, I think I unfairly went into this expecting and wanting more Butterfly Garden so it took me a long time to warm up to the new sto
Melissa Chung
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 52-in-2018
This review is being written weeks after I finished. I normally write the review IMMEDIATELY after finishing a book, this one however I finished at like 3 a.m. and meant to write the review later in the day....well now it's weeks later. I apologize for not having the book fresh in my mind while writing this review. What I can tell you right off the bat is that I'm giving this book 4.5 stars.

Before I can write a review of this book 'The Roses of May', I need to set the tone of the previous book '
Karima chermiti
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
#1 : The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1) : 3 stars

Update 06/01/2019 : It's weird but thinking about the books that I read in 2018 that I may judged wrongly, this is the only one that kept popping in my mind. I think if I'm being honest, I was really nit picky when it comes to this book and After really thinking about the book from all angles, I think It's a better book than I originally thought.

I think my problem is I was treating this book like a basic thriller and this book is anything b
Rachel
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Roses of May is more of a companion novel, rather than a sequel, to Hutchinson's The Butterfly Garden. We sort of pick up where we left off, chronologically, but then we follow a different thread. FBI Agent Brandon Eddison features more heavily in this novel, and we see a fair bit of Inara and Bliss, but the meat of the story is about a new character altogether. Priya Svrasti's sister Chavi was murdered by a serial killer five years ago; every May he seeks out a new victim, always a young girl, ...more
Zuky the BookBum
What a bummer. I really loved The Butterfly Garden last year and when I saw this, I was super excited to give it a read, but no. I read 100 pages of this book, which is a whole third of the story and nothing grabbed me. Nothing. Did anything even happen in those first 100 pages?

Warning, that you’ll see on lots of others reviews… this isn’t a sequel. This is a totally new book, with a new crime, it just has some of the same characters. This could be the second in a series of Inara & Bliss & Eddis
Stephanie
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Roses of May is the 2nd book in “The Collector Series” trilogy by Dot Hutchison but it is not a direct sequel to The Butterfly Garden. Instead, it’s a story about a completely different serial killer whose been killing one girl every spring for over a decade and leaving each of them covered in a different flower. It also has a brand new main character, Priya Sravasti, whose sister was one of the killer’s victims 5 years ago.

The Roses of May isn’t a story with the same horror, depravity, and
Leah Craig
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the writing and character development, but it was just too easy to figure out. Anyone who’s read a thriller or two will be able to figure out the red herrings and the who-dun-it of the book.

• The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • In the Darkness (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #2)
  • The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #1)
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg #1)
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Lying Next to Me
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #1)
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
Dot Hutchison is the author of A Wounded Name, a young adult novel based on Shakespeare’s Hamlet, and the adult thriller The Butterfly Garden. With past experience working at a Boy Scout camp, a craft store, a bookstore, and the Renaissance Faire (as a human combat chess piece), Hutchison prides herself on remaining delightfully in tune with her inner young adult. She loves thunderstorms, mytholog ...more

The Collector (4 books)
  • The Butterfly Garden  (The Collector, #1)
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what chil...
“it’s okay to not be okay.” 6 likes
“I’m constitutionally incapable of trusting people who treat their books that badly.” 5 likes