Start by marking “Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)” as Want to Read:
Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)

Between the Devil and the Duke

(Season for Scandal #3)

Their love was always in the cards.
He should have thrown her out. But when club owner Alexander Lavoie catches a mysterious blonde counting cards at his vingt-et-un table, he's more intrigued than angry. He has to see more of this beauty—in his club, in his office, in his bed. But first he'll have to devise a proposition she can't turn down.

Gossip said he was an assassin.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published January 31st 2017 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Between the Devil and the Duke, please sign up.
Tess Hansen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Stacey is Sassy
description

***IT'S ALIVE***

Ladies and gentlemen…we have a WINNER!!

I have a confession…I normally prefer my hero in a historical romance to be the stuck up, snobby aristocrat who looks down his nose at…the commoners. I get a kick out of their arrogance and bossiness. Their confidence, to me, sends shivers up my spine. Well, I’ve been proven wrong. It seems I can be stimulated by a confident commoner just as much…if not more.

I LOVED Between the Devil and the Duke. To be honest, I should probably remove a hal
Caz
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so thats 4.5 stars rounded up.

Kelly Bowen is one of the best of the bunch of new authors of historical romance to have emerged in the last couple of years, and she continues to show herself more than deserving of the praise her novels have received. I’ve reviewed a few and rated them highly, impressed by her ability to craft strong plotlines and characters, and to imbue her dialogue with unforced humour and realism. Best of all, she writes a strong, well-developed r
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Angelique's life has turned her from a pampered Lady of wealth to a masked card counting lady trying to keep the bill collectors at bay.
Alex has been a farmer soldier fighting for his homeland to now the owner of the wealthiest gaming hell in London.
They both have their secrets but the spark and burn between them won't be denied. Lies, betrayals, mone
Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely!
Jo

Lady Angelique Archer has been trying to hold her family together since her parents died and their family fortune had gone missing. Her eldest newly titled brother is no help whatsoever since he spends his time and money on drinks and whores. Her affinity with numbers has given her the opportunity to make some money which her family desperately needed. And things were going well until she caught the attention of Mr. Lavoie. But instead of throwing her out of his gaming club he offers her a job.

Mei
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I confirm: I'm Ms. Bowen fan! :)

I love her writing style. It's just a right mix of descriptions, inner thoughts, great dialogue and hot attraction!

I also like that in this series the heroines are very interesting. Not just physically (they're romantic heroines and therefore beautiful), but also women with unsual talents.

Here we have Angelique who's a genoìius with numbers! Since I can add (or do any other mathematical calculation) worth a damn, I am deeply in awe when somebody can do that like A
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*3.75 stars*

Some books grab me from the start, but Between the Devil and the Duke was one that built and built. I thought I knew what was going to happen, but the twists and turns really surprised me, and by the end, I was totally hooked.

Ashford McNab did a fine job narrating, though I prefer some of the other historical romance narrators. She was good, but some of her phrasing came out a bit stilted in the beginning, and I thought her male voices for all the side characters were gratingly whin
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
5 Lisa Kleypas-like Stars !

What a fantastic read ! Would absolutely recommend it to anybody in interested in a strongly written HR read with three-dimensional characters and a superb sub-plot. Well done !
Bj
4.5 "The Math Whiz Lady & Her Benefactor Turned HEA" Stars for the story & 5 stars for the narration!

This listen flew by! I loved the chemistry between the H and He as well as the unexpected twists! Moreover, Ashford McNab's narration was divine!

Source: Library-loan.
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lbGeV9

Bowen just gets better and better! Between the Devil and the Duke was a thrillingly unique adventure that kept me eagerly reading just...one...more...page. You know, instead of cleaning the house, or working on my steps. I just needed one...more...page first. lol I loved the characters, the daring, the mystery and set up. The entire world is rich, luscious and utterly delicious.

So the gist is that Alex? He's rather intrig
Lubnaa
description

You know that feeling when you read the first 2 chapters of a book and you already know it's going to be a 5 star read? It's a rare experience, but it happened with me here. I'm kicking myself for not reading Between the Devil and the Duke sooner. I can't believe I put it off for almost 2 years when it turned out to the best one in the series. It's one of those books that you are excited to continue reading, but at the same time, you don't ever want to finish it because it's THAT good and you lo
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Kelly Bowen really impressed me with the first two books in her Season for Scandal series. I love her original, engaging and deeply romantic stories, her smart heroines and sexy heroes. This is the third book in the Season for Scandal and definitely my favourite.

I liked Alex in the previous two books but I never anticipated that he would be such a wonderful hero. I found the combination of his roguish charm, intelligence, sex appeal and wit irresistible.

He left her where she stood and retrieved
Rose Blue
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: http://wp.me/p3QRh4-tT

Angelique Archer never quite took during her first season. Because of her unwillingness to dance (which she did poorly) and her inability to make small talk, she soon became known as the Marble Maiden. She left society to take care of her dying mother, and never rejoined society as her father died not long after. With her family fortune seemingly vanished into thin air, and her wastrel brother continuing to spend extravagantly, Angelique has t
Joanna Loves Reading
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third and final book in the Season for Scandal. The Hero, Alex, has been featured in the previous two books, where he appeared to be a worthy hero. This book did not disappoint. He was the hero that I hoped he would be from reading about him previously. However, the heroine stole the show. Angelique is an extremely intelligent heroine and sister to a marquess, who has fallen into near ruin. She is doing all that she can to prevent that ruin, and one of the few options she has remaini ...more
Amanda
The first two books in this series put Bowen on the auto-buy list for me. As improbable as the plots have been, the fact that she's had women engaged in unusual professions really captured my attention. I've been eagerly awaiting Alex's story (although not as much as King's, which I hope we'll get eventually even though she's moving on to a new series next). Unfortunately this book didn't quite meet my expectations.

Bowen has created another intriguing female protagonist in Angelique. I like the
Kayla Brunson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I may be speaking too soon but Kelly Bowen might be making her way up on my HR authors list. This is my first book by her, (I didn't know that this was a part of a series, like always) but you can bet that I'm going to be buying more her books from now on.

The writing was fantastic and I loved our main characters, Alex and Angelique. Speaking of them, they had MAJOR CHEMISTRY!! Y'all the sexual tension between these two was killing me. Both characters had secrets and haven't really been shown
Lady Wesley
Kelly Bowen is a relatively new addition to my auto-buy list of authors, and the Season for Scandal series has been fun, exciting, and a pleasure to listen to.

Her heroines are strong, self-sufficient women, which is a bit of a stretch in Regency England, but Bowen makes it plausible. They are quite likable and able to hold their own against the men they are matched with. And although her first two heroes were dukes, they were not your usual dukes -- one was a former pirate and the other was a re
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I've never read a novel by Kelly Bowen before but I quite enjoyed my first by her, and I'm sure it won't be my last. For some reason, most of my favorite historical romances take place in gaming hells, and this story is no different. I loved that the heroine was a genius at numbers, and instead of thinking her odd, the hero is charmed by this fact. Also, Ashford McNab is fabulous at narrating historical romance. She also narrates the Maiden Lane series by Elizabeth Hoyt, which I also very much e ...more
Amanda
“You have impressed me immeasurably, Lady Angelique.”
He was rewarded with a smile, one that actually reached her eyes, and the first one he had seen all night. “Good,” was all she said.”

I have been waiting to love, not just like or enjoy, a book in this series and finally it happened with Between the Devil and the Duke. Although, what’s not to love when Kelly Bowen has once again deployed her signature trope of heroes who end up completely (to quote Miss Ivory Moore) besotted with their heroin
Annie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't too keen on the background plot but I loved Angelique and Alex so much <33333
Tracy T.
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story and narration by Ashford McNab. (audible review)

I really love Kelly Bowen's books! She writes such great stories. I want to see more of her on audible!

This was a really good story. I liked Angelique a lot. Love a heroine that is good with numbers. She was strong, smart, witty and beautiful. Alex was great too. Rich, handsome, strong with the perfect amount of arrogance. They made a great couple together. The sex was hot and steamy but didn't take away from the story. I was very nicel
Jaci
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is the 7th book I have read from Kelly Bowen and they just keep getting better. Her characters are not always typical Regency well healed, handsome, hero's or wealthy young Debutantes looking for a husband on the marriage mart.
There are Pirates, Gambling hell owners and lots of other interesting and smart hero's and heroines. This story is about a young lady trying to keep her brother from bringing the rest of her family to ruin with his drinking and gambling.
Lady Angelique Archer is a gen
Phoenix77
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kelly Bowen’s Season for Scandal series has introduced several intelligent and resourceful female characters but the third book Between the Devil and the Duke takes things one step further. Lady Angelique Archer is a true genius whose gift with mathematics may be the only salvation for her family. Her strength and composure in the face of overwhelming odds are bound to get noticed by a man who makes probability his living.

The mysterious woman had caught Alexander Lavoie’s eye from the first nigh
Ira
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seriously this book made me speechless!

The whole mystery regarding the missing fortune was well kept.
My suspicions started almost the same time with Angélique, which is ok because that girl is crazy smart, lol:)

But when I found out the reason? It made me sick!
Who the hell do they think they are?
Everyone need to be end up in Bedlam because they were all maddening:(

Here the clue, the sad thing is I couldn't hate the villain much really.:(

So yup this book is another winner but I still love Elise' a
Teresa
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite one of this series. I've been intrigued by Alexander Lavoie since book one, and he was everything I hoped he'd be. I have loved that each book in this series has featured a strong, independent heroine, and that continued with Angelique. This book went in different directions than I expected, but I loved every one of them. It was full of adventure, action, intrigue, and lots of delicious chemistry.

Now I anxiously wait with fingers crossed in hopes that Kelly Bowen decides t
Laura J.
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. The heroine, Angelique, is in dire straits. Her parents are dead, her brother is an idiot on his way to ruin and her younger brothers' school tuition is past due. She's beautiful in an unfashionable sense, has a gift with numbers, resourceful and is honest with herself. The hero runs a high class gambling establishment and is a partner in a 'fixer' business. The hero, Alex, won me over when he was attracted to the heroine not only because of her beauty but because of her intellec ...more
Under the Covers Book Blog
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it

This series has sneakily gotten to be one of my favorite finds of the last year! After reading the first book I wasn't that certain, but the different appeal of the storylines was the one thing that hooked me then. With every installment after that, Kelly Bowen has cemented herself as a historical romance author I'll be on the lookout for more. BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DUKE delivered on everything I've been anxiously awaiting for since the hero first made his mysterious appearance in book one.

4 Stars

Why I Read It...

Kelly Bowen has become one of my favorite historical authors in the past year and I love what she is doing with this Season for Scandal series. Alex has been an integral part of the series and I wanted to know more about him especially in light of the information received in the previous installment, A Duke to Remember.

What I Liked About It...

1. Kelly Bowen continues to provide me with intelligent, spirited heroines who are unorthodox yet still feel realistic to the time p
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This series has sneakily gotten to be one of my favorite finds of the last year! After reading the first book I wasn’t that certain, but the different appeal of the storylines was the one thing that hooked me then. With every installment after that, Kelly Bowen has cemented herself as a historical romance author I’ll be on the lookout for more. BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DUKE delivered on everything I’ve been anxiously awaiting for since the hero first made his mysterious appearance in
Natalie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!!!

Kelly Bowen has really established herself as an author that delivers consistently solid, great historical romances because of her focus on the heroine's growth, progress, emotions, pleasure and of course, happiness.

Once again we return to Chegarre & Associates, and our associate this time is Alexander Lavoie, Elise's brother. Our heroine is Angelique Archer, the closed off lady who is playing vingt-et-un at Alex's club to scrape together money for her family's dwindling fortune.
Lake Wales Public...: 2018 RITA Awards 1 3 Aug 01, 2018 12:11PM
Historical Romanc...: BR: Between the Devil and the Duke August 20 40 32 Dec 07, 2017 05:41AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2016 12:30PM

• Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)
  • Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #2)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • If the Duke Demands (Capturing the Carlisles, #1)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • A Duke in Shining Armor (Difficult Dukes, #1)
  • The Devil Is a Marquess (Rescued from Ruin, #4)
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
  • Once She Was Tempted (Honeycote, #2)
  • Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
Kelly Bowen grew up in Manitoba, Canada. She worked her way through her teenage years as a back country trail guide and ranch hand. She attended the University of Manitoba and earned a Master of Science degree in veterinary physiology and endocrinology.

But it was Kelly's infatuation with history and a weakness for a good love story that led her down the path of historical romance. When she is not

Season for Scandal (3 books)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)
“Have you given any thought to the formula you would like me to run?"
Alex nearly lost his grip on the decanter. "I beg your pardon?"
"At least a few of your patrons will need to achieve moderate success, and the occasional player will need to achieve considerable success at the vingt-et-un table if you hope to attract those individuals whose pocket books match their greed and belief that the next hand will change their fortune. I will require instruction as to how you wish me to deal in order to maximize both prophets and popularity." She withdrew a small square of paper from a hidden pocket somewhere in the folds of her skirts and held it out to him.
"I've run some scenarios, allowing for a margin of error that I will not be able to avoid. It's all basic accounting worked into a matrix of probabilities, but I thought you might want to review it."
Alex very carefully replaced the heavy crystal on the surface of his desk struggling to draw a breath. This was not good at all. Forget his alarming charge into the fray on a white horse, he was rather afraid he had just fallen in love.”
0 likes