Start by marking “Her Secret (The Amish of Hart County #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Secret (The Amish of Hart County #1)

Her Secret

(The Amish of Hart County #1)

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shelley Shepard Gray begins a new series—The Amish of Hart County—with this suspenseful tale of a young Amish woman who is forced to move to a new town to escape a threatening stalker.

Published March 14th 2017 by Avon Inspire (first published March 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Secret

Start your review of Her Secret (The Amish of Hart County #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Shelley Shepard Gray writes the sweetest Amish/Christian romances, and with this first installment of the Amish of Hart County series she's added an element of suspense to the story, too.
After a stalker went too far, Hannah Hilty and her family had no choice but to leave the bustling Amish community where she grew up. Now she’s getting a fresh start in Hart County, Kentucky…if only she wasn’t too scared to take it. Hannah has become afraid to trust anyone—even Isaac, the friendly Amish man who l
Victoria
Sorry about my earlier review! This book was great! I loved the suspense even if it was a bit unrealistic!
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I’m still doing a giddy little happy dance after reading Her Secret.

Why?

Because I changed my mind multiple times as to who I think the title is about. Because this ain’t your grandma’s Amish fiction – it’s a little edgy (in the best ways) while still retaining the sweetness that is a trademark of Gray’s writing. Because the suspense toys with “psychological thriller” status (and i LOVE that). Because the romance is charming and tender.

And because tucked away gently in the pages of this great Ami
Gayle Pace
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, amish, romance
MY THOUGHTS
A stalker that a young Amish woman once thought as a friend, has now forced Hannah Hilty and her family to move away to a new town. But things haven't changed as far as the stalker. He moved too and took on a new identity. Hannah and her family think they are safe against this man, but soon they realize he is there and he wants Hannah. Hannah's younger siblings don't like their new home in Hart County, Kentucky and they blame Hannah for having to leave their big farm in a large Amish
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have read books from this author than you know that this is a darker approach to the books readers have enjoyed about the Amish. Although, don't fear as this new side is still ones that readers will enjoy. Another great read from author, Shelley Shepard Gray.

Again, I was able to slip right in and fall in love with the characters and this new location, Hart County. It was nice to see Hannah's family rallying behind her in support of what she was dealing with. Her stalker was someone to be
Maureen Timerman
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a story that we hear about in mainstream America, but this takes place with the Amish community, stalking and the horrors that go along with it.
In this book we have the Hilty family leaving their friends and family in Ohio and moving to Kentucky, what a hard time for all in the family. I think moving is not easy for anyone, but with the tight community ties the Amish have, this move must have been devastating for the family, especially the younger members.
When an unstable person threate
Kristin
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Her Secret is the first book in The Amish of Hart County series by Shelley Shepard Gray. This suspenseful novel, while a very good read, left me wanting more. With larger print and at 247 pages, I felt that this read more as a novella than as a full length novel.

What I did love about this story was that it breaks the mold of idealistic Amish books that so plague the genre. Mystery and suspense is a new and refreshing take for the genre and I’m glad to see authors branching out from the typical g
Brittany
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Secret is not your typical Amish story. With a heroine whose family has had to relocate because of a stalker, it was definitely not a story I had seen done before. It kept me turning the pages!

I really enjoyed this novel. I could feel Hannah’s nervousness as she went through her days, all due to the events from the past year. The story was full of secrets, frustations, anger, suspicions, and fears, yet had a beautiful romance that wove its way through the pages.

I thought the author did a ver
Marisa
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book thinking it was an Amish thriller, yet somehow not realizing it’s technically Christian lit, which isn’t my genre. My low rating doesn’t have to do with that, though, because I did read the whole thing, and I usually don’t whenever I realize I’ve accidentally picked up CL, but for such an interesting concept, which was what drew me in in the first place, it’s all very one dimensional. From the characters to the plot to the writing style, there isn’t much dynamic, and it’s n ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is an unusual Amish suspense and romance tale. A young woman moves with her family to a Kentucky Amish community, as they are hoping to leave behind a stalker. For plot purposes we know right away that they will not succeed.

While stalkers can be very manipulative and convincing, I did not see the method employed by this man as likely to work. I also thought that the young woman would have been better off to go out with lots of young people rather than hide away indoors. The setting is well
Lisa Johnson
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Title: Her Secret (The Amish of Hart County #1)
Author: Shelley Shepard Gray
Pages: 272
Year: 2017
Publisher: Avon Inspire
My rating is 4 stars.
Hannah Hilty is a 20-year-old Amish woman who is the victim of a stalker. She and her family are forced to quit their jobs, leave their friends and move to a different state and different Amish community to flee this stalker. The local police were not too responsive to the Hilty family’s reporting of the stalker, so no legal action was taken. Hannah is now af
Amy
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Secret is about an ordinary Amish girl living with her family going about her life until one day she meets a man that will not take no for an answer. And so begins his manipulations and his fearful control over her well-being including that of her family as well.

Hannah’s entire family up and moves from Ohio to Kentucky after Hannah’s stalker takes things a little too far with his photographs. Trying to come out of her shell that fear has locked her into, she begins to timidly make new frien
Wendy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BACK OF THE BOOK BLURB
(copied from Amazon.com)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shelley Shepard Gray begins a new series--The Amish of Hart county--with this suspenseful tale of a young Amish woman who is forced to move to a new town to escape a threatening stalker.

After a stalker went too far, Hannah Hilty and her family had no choice but to leave the bustling Amish community where she grew up. Now she's getting a fresh start in Hart County, Kentucky...if only she wasn't too scare
Jalynn Patterson
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Tien
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
The cover and the title made me think this could be some sort of psychological thriller but it's really more of an Amish romantic suspense story. Overall, this was an easy & fast, single-sitting read (noting that this fits right in the middle of my comfort zone).

The Hilty family moved away from the busy Ohio town to the middle of nowhere Kentucky town. Hannah, the eldest at 22, was being stalked by an Englischer and as it seems the police was unable to help, they moved to as remote a place they
Michelle Pruett
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelley Shepard Gray has done it again !!! Ms. Gray has written another book that draws you in from the very first page and keeps you hooked until you have devoured every page. Shelley Shepard Gray gives each of her characters such depth that you feel so invested in them and the outcome. Shelley has a writing style that flows easily and is clear and concise so that it doesn't overpowered the story or the characters.

Hannah Hilty and the Hilty family moved from their home,their friends,and their
Julia
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her Secret by Shelley Shepard Gray is an Amish romantic mystery and I really enjoyed it. It is the first book of The Amish Of Hart County which promises to be a cracking series.
Her Secret has many themes including that of secrets. Secrets are never a good idea. They may become burdensome. Secrets need to be brought out into the light and burdens shared. "Even if the truth hurt, it was always better in the end."
There is the topic of anxiety. Anxiety can ruin our lives. Anxiety can trap us into a
Lori
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A different kind of Amish book from Shelley but I did like it.
I think the style of her writing is different as well and I didn't put the book down until it was finished.
The characters were well thought out and I enjoyed how Shelley can make them come alive in her books!
I know this probably won't make any sense but even though I enjoyed the story I really couldn't connect with the people in the book. Maybe its because I've never been in that situation and hope I never am.
But, I did like where t
Meagan
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I did start reading Her Secret, I panicked because it was an Amish-themed book. *Why did I sign up to read this? There's a glut of Amish books on the market. I've read most of them. What does this one have to offer?*

Well ... I didn't need to worry, because I read Her Secret non-stop over the next day. Carried it around with me on my iPad). Snuck in "just 5 more minutes" anywhere I could.

Engaging, mysterious, fast-paced, and well-developed, Her Secret will keep you guessing until the last pa
Andrea Woodard
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am totally impressed with this book. Didn't know Shelley could write such a good mystery. It kept me coming back for more and more. Can't wait to read the next book in this series. You did great Shelley. Thank you!
I had a feeling that Shane wasn't who he said he was. I kept thinking the worst of what could have happened to Jenny for secretly meeting him.
Leah
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mystery and a romance. I liked both story lines. The romance was sweet, and I liked both Hannah and Issac. Her brother, Ben, and her sister, Jenny, improved as the story progressed. The mystery was one that I haven't read much of, but I know that there are quite a few books out there involving stalkers. ...more
Maureen DeLuca
I wasn't as thrilled with this book as the other reviews..... it very well could have been my frame of mind at the time. I'd give it a shot if it sounds interesting to you- the reviews are really good! ...more
Kav
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling. Chilling. Inspiring.

Shelley Shepard Gray knows how to dig deep into the hearts of her characters, exposing weaknesses and strengths in equal measure as she forces them along a complex path of self-discovery.

Her Secret reveals the raw grittiness of every day people. Yes, this is an Amish story -- but not the typical kind. The Hilty family is as naturally dysfunctional as any Englisch equivalent. Each family member faces common challenges in unique ways. None of them do it perfectly. T
Pam Burke
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Her Secret is Shelley Shepard Gray's first book in a new series, an Amish story with a touch of suspense.

If you read a lot of Amish fiction, you may find the setting of this series to be a bit unfamiliar. The story is mostly set in Hart County, Kentucky, away from the typical Amish settings in places like Lancaster County and Holmes County. As Shelley has the Hilty family settle into their new home, she brings in details about this unfamiliar area.

The plot of the story has some intriguing twists
Kim
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her secret by Shelley Shepard Gray is captivating, suspenseful, and will reel you in from the very first page.. I simply could not put his book down.. When Hannah Hilty becomes the object of obsession by an Englisher,. Fearing for their daughters safety the family is forced to move from their Amish community and start a new life in the Hart County of Kentucky.. Issac Troyer the Young Amish man that lives next door becomes intrigued by the quiet , reserved and guarded girl from next door.. With f ...more
Rebecca
Terrified by an escalating stalking incident, Hannah Hilty's family moves from their established residence in Ohio to a more remote Amish community in Hart County, Kentucky. There Hannah begins to let go of her paranoia, largely due to the kind attention of a handsome neighbor. Unfortunately, other family secrets have been tucked away, and just when things couldn't get worse, they do.

Hannah and her family learn how precious indeed is the gift of life.
Cheryl Baranski
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her Secret is part of The Amish of Hart County series by Shelley Shepard Gray. He Secret is another captivating book by Shelley. This is not your typical Amish fiction. It is an intense story that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat just to see what will happen next. This is a must read book! I received a complimentary copy of this book. This review is my honest opinion. 5 stars!
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, the disclaimer. "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own." That done, HER SECRET is the beginning of a new series by Ms. Gray set in Hart County, Kentucky. It is supposed to be a romantic suspense, and it is heavier on the romance than the suspense, but she has a good start. I had no idea that some of the things in the story were as they were until they were revealed. And while some of the events seemed to be contrived and a bit unrealistic, it did end with me rea ...more
Marilyn
Her Secret reeled me in and I stayed up to finish it the night I started reading this romantic suspense by Shelley Shepard Gray. I had to know what was happening, so I didn’t mind missing sleep as I was right in the moment with Hannah Hilty and Isaac Troyer, the hero and heroine, along with their families and other secondary characters.

Hannah lived an isolated life or was always was with someone because of the fear of being stalked even after moving to Kentucky from Ohio. Hannah was so taken bac
Karen
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Amish authors brings a new series and it has captured my heart. I loved Hannah and her family, and so appreciated the way this book was written. This family and the town they have adopted as their own bring a promise of an amazing series and I cannot wait for the remainder of the books to be released. *I received an advanced copy of this book*
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Room on the Porch Swing (Amish Homestead #2)
  • The Mockingbird's Song (Amish Greenhouse Mystery #2)
  • The Bake Shop
  • A Place at Our Table (Amish Homestead #1)
  • Goodbye to Yesterday (The Discovery, #1)
  • The Crow's Call (Amish Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • The Gift (Prairie State Friends #2)
  • The Cherished Quilt (Amish Heirloom, #3)
  • The Blended Quilt
  • The Blessing (The Amish Cooking Class #2)
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom, #1)
  • The Beloved Hope Chest (Amish Heirloom, #4)
  • The Farm Stand (Amish Marketplace #2)
  • The Forgiving Jar (The Prayer Jars #2)
  • A Welcome at Our Door (Amish Homestead #4)
  • The Decision (Prairie State Friends, #1)
  • The Seekers
  • The Divided Family (The Amish Millionaire #5)
Librarian Note: AKA Shelley Gray (Western Romance).

Shelley Shepard Gray has published over seventy novels. She currently writes Amish romances for Harper Collins, Kensington, and Simon & Schuster and contemporary women’s fiction for Blackstone Publishing.

Her novels have been Holt Medallion winners and Inspirational Readers Choice and Carol finalists. Shelley’s novels have appeared on both the New

The Amish of Hart County (6 books)
  • His Guilt (The Amish of Hart County #2)
  • The Gift (The Amish of Hart County #3)
  • His Risk (The Amish of Hart County #4)
  • Her Fear (The Amish of Hart County #5)
  • His Promise (The Amish of Hart County #6)