Start by marking “1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers” as Want to Read:
1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers

1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The editor of the "Book Marketing Update" newsletter and author of "The Complete Direct Marketing Sourcebook" describes hundreds of ideas, tips, and suggestions for marketing books, all illustrated with real-life examples.
Published May 26th 2006 by Open Horizons (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Ways to Market Your Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Ways to Market Your Books

Melanie Mole
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Every single time I read this book I learn more. This book is so good that I have now read it 6 times. John Kremer really shows that he is a book marketing genius in this book. I have lost count of the number of ideas he has given me about book marketing. He tells us what to do before your book is published, during the process, and afterwards. His ideas are often cheap and easy to understand. Really easy to relate to and a cracking good read! I recommend that you go and buy a copy today.
Danusha Goska
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book really lost me when it told me that if I win a Nobel Prize that will increase my sales. It also didn't help that the book told me that if I were reviewed in the New York Times, that would increase sales, too. It also reminded me to spell and punctuate properly, and to carry business cards. It won't shock anyone to learn that I knew all this already.

Another problem I had with the book. The title is misleading. It really ought to specify that it offers 1001 ways to market relatively eas
Valentinno Valentinno
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
John Kremer, 1001 Ways to market your Books is ideal for author’s looking for marketing tips that actually work. It’s a great tool if you want to learn the marketing aspect of the business, and it also helps author’s take a more active role in promoting their work. In this 700 page marketing Bible, Kremer covers a great deal of useful information from online sales, how to get celebrity endorsements, off beat advertising, selling your books overseas, how to make the bestsellers list, marketing ti ...more
Marti Melville
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Trepidation was the term I'd use to describe my attitude when I glanced at this 700 page "how to" book. I had just finished writing another novel and was not prepared to launch into a book of this size. However, the name intrigued me. I needed to know exactly what each 1001 ways entailed in order to be successful as an author.

Not long after opening the cover, I found myself drawn into the meat of this author's experiences and realized that this book contained all that was needed to move forward
Judy Seaberry
Awesome information
James Fant
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What Did I Get Out of “1001 Ways to Market Your Books” by John Kremer? Everything—For Now.

I know that’s a long title for a review. But it’s a really long book, filled to the brim with tools and information for book marketing. John Kremer pooled his extensive research and experience into a voluminous guide that he encourages readers to highlight, note, and litter with Post-Its.

Each chapter is broken down into sections filled with loads of material. Each header’s type is boldface which makes it e
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are hundreds of books on book marketing and promotion but 1001 Ways to Market Your Books is the original. This book spans just over 700 pages. It is filled with information about the realities of the publishing world (including shockingly honest facts how the New York Bestseller's list is crafted) helpful hints, and very specific ways to increase book sales.

Much of the material in this book is written specifically for publishers. However, usually at the end of sections, the author will in
Susan Sylvia
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is ESSENTIAL for anyone who wants to sell books. Listen, authors, marketing is NOT a dirty word. And lucky for you, this book pretty much takes you by the hand and gives you the tools to make it seem doable. It's a huge book and you may think it a daunting task to try to do 1001 things, but John Kremer puts a lot of great ideas out there for you in smart, digestible chunks. Even if you don't sit down and read it cover-to-cover, buy it, skim it, pick out a few things to do immediately a ...more
Shay
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll give this book 3 stars because it was the greatest comedy book I've read in a while. I was seriously crying with laughter at suggestions like "Rent a blimp." "Buy an RV and stick your face and book cover on the side of it." "More personally address your readers with phrases such as 'Dear Plant Lover.'"

I'm sure there are some actual helpful suggestions in here (that are of average quality, hence an average 3 stars), but a lot of this book seems ridiculous and outdated. You could tell the aut
Jay
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's hard to add anything consequential to all the other reviews here, but I did have one suggestion for any later editions of this book: Divide the material into three sections. One section strictly for authors trying to market their book on their own. Another for publishers, and a third section with material pertinent to both groups. I found myself skimming through many pages that were targeted more to the publishers group, searching for "authors-only" material that could benefit me.

Overall it
Keith
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow! Just a ton of information here. This is a big book, and it serves more as a reference for me. I can't imagine reading it cover-to-cover - but it would be impossible NOT to find very useful ideas within. If you're serious about marketing your book(s) you should probably have this on your desk, dog eared and highlighted. Important to note that this is for authors AND publishers, so all info might not be relevant to every reader. But not to worry. There's more than you need.
Michael Newton
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has it all. And that's both good and bad. Seven hundred pages of information on how to market books, but some of the information is geared toward authors, some to publishers, and some to both.

I would have given this book five stars if not for the fact that so much of it is wasted on me as an author. Also, this book would have benefited from an index. It's still a great book and worth reading at least once if you are in the book business as an author or a publisher.
Brian
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots of KILLER information in this book on how to market your books. Some of it is dated, at this point, but it is still useful! It was recommended to me by Essence Bestselling Author Tia McCollors and I have not parted with it since. It's a little pricey at $28, and there's no e-book, but like The Writer's Market, it's worth the investment.
Michael Slavin
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is a big book and covers almost anything you can do to market your book. It is a little overwhelming. This book made me slow down and realize I could not to everything and needed to select the areas that would give me the biggest bank for my buck (and time). every writer should have this book as a reference.
David Donaghe
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be an excellent source of information weather you are a publisher, an author or a self published author and are trying to market your books on your own. I recommend it to anyone who has wrote a book and is trying to market it.

David H. Donaghe
Author of Monroe's Paranormal Investigations
and The Tale Spinner.
Anna Esq.
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enormously helpful, comprehensive book. As an independent press, some of the tactics the big boys use to market their books were shockingly expensive (and surprising). I will never walk into a big box store and buy a book again, I can say that much after reading this. Even if you're an indie or self-pubbed author, there's something in this book for everyone.
Angela Samuels
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is actually a reference guide and introduction to the book publishing world. I'm an author's assistant and I refer to this book a lot. As I read this book there is always something new that I didn't know.

John's Kremer has a website that is great supplement to this book, http://www.bookmarket.com/.

Heather
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for so much more from this book. My books are self-published novels, and that unfortunately means that a lot of the suggestions in "1001 Ways" simply didn't apply to me. I DID like the "get out there and do something every day" message and I've been doing that, but this is not the book for specific advice for self-published novelists. I'm still searching for that book.
A.L. Sowards
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
The edition I picked up was published in 1998, so it was a little old, almost comically so when it talked about technology. Still, it gave me a good education on what the publishing industry was like a decade and a half ago, and it sparked several pages' worth of ideas.
Ann Addley
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a very extensive list of promotional information for any writer or publisher. Though I suspect some of the info may be slightly out of date, the share size of the book means that it covers all the bases and provides a great checklist for your marketing plan
Cayr
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book, although some of the links and websites are dated. Unfortunately, that happens since the Internet is constantly changing. There are lots of good tips here for marketing your books, hundreds of things you'd never think of on your own. Excellent resource for authors.
Pat Brannon
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have recommended this book to other writers more times than I can count. It has a massive amount of PR information in it and so many of the tips can be used by other businesses. I bought my copy several years ago and I still haven't reached the end of the book yet.
Kenny
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: self-publishers
Shelves: publishing
Kremer is entirely on top of the self-publishing game, and a heavy-duty player on the Internet. I get his almost daily email newsletter (www.bookmarket.com) and it's priceless. He's also available for personal questions and discussion. A top-notch guy and his book is a great help.
Tracy Krauss
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have on word for this book. FANTASTIC. It's a must read for anyone who is involved in writing, publishing or marketing or books.
Bill Frank
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best book on all aspects of book marketing I've read. I keep it handy on my bookshelf at all times.
Margo Bates
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is THE guide for authors, and a must-read for anyone who writes a book. Tips, talks, links, the best information available. Constantly updated. Check out his on-line newsletter.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2011 marked it as don-t-want-to-read-anymore
I don't need to be yelled at by a book that I started reading with the energy of my own motivation....
Rodney Winters
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for marketing a book. Full of helpful tips.
Carole  Crosby
Mar 19, 2011 is currently reading it
A bit too much knowledge to take in
Gudjon Bergmann
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't used all 1001 ways, but enough of the ideas have worked for me to give this book a thumbs up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Writers
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book Into a Full-Time Living
  • Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity
  • Publishing E-Books For Dummies
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • Writing the Natural Way: Turn the Task of Writing into the Joy of Writing
  • Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Online
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • How to Write & Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit: Your Guide to Writing and Publishing Books, E-Books, Articles, Special Reports, Audio Programs, DVDs, and Other How-To Content
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
Book marketing expert John Kremer is the owner and publisher of Open Horizons as well as the webmaster at http://www.bookmarket.com, http://www.infographicaday.com, and http://www.bookmarketingbestsellers.com.

He is the author of 1001 Ways to Market Your Books; Book Marketing Magic: How to Sell Your Novel, Children's Book, Memoir, or Nonfiction Book Like a Pro; The Complete Direct Marketing Sourceb

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
    $7.95 $2.49
“Don't sell yourself short. No one will value you. Set a fair price for you, your book, your services, whatever it is that you have to offer. Most of us set way too low a price. Put it a little higher than you would normally be inclined to do. The worst that can happen is someone will come along and steal it.” 12 likes