Start by marking “What is Past is Dead” as Want to Read:
What is Past is Dead

What is Past is Dead

Three young men, infused with idealism and fuelled by hashish, drive a minibus through the night, entrenching themselves in a dangerous gamble that will change their lives forever. Today, only one man stands. He tells the tale of joining his childhood friends in the passionate appeal for Palestinians against Israel's forceful occupation. After all these years, his diaspora ...more
Published April 11th 2016 by Mohammed Hussein Miheasen

To ask other readers questions about What is Past is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What is Past is Dead

Sofia
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Living here means straddling both worlds the West and the East and although we push for the West our roots lie in the East and I cannot forget that. This little story shows me a picture of my backyard which is hard to look at. I want to turn my eyes away and say, fiction, perspective but what Morsi wrote about, echoes news items that make it out into the world of Western news and this does not allow me to shelve this away as mere fiction. The story itself might be fiction but the background, the
Ahmad Sharabiani
What Is Past Is Dead, Mohammed Massoud Morsi
Timothy Dymond
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although the experiences in this story are nothing like mine, it did bring back memories of traveling late at night through Sinai many years ago. The precarity of Palestinian life of course I could only observe, but it was enough to see some of the daily risks and humiliations which this short and powerful book describes.
T.D. Whittle
The title What Is Past Is Dead ("El Faat, Maat" or “illei faat maat”) seems to mean that one should bury one's dead, or one's past, and get on with living. This is an apparently common Egyptian saying, which was chosen for its irony, I believe. For the main character in this first-person narrative, the past is the only thing still alive, and it is palpable. This book is about hard choices and hopeless lives -- lives ground down by poverty, violence, war, and desperate measures taken which end ba ...more
Mohammed Morsi
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Catherine
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read, highly recommend it. This book brings you on a nail biting journey with three misguided friends who have a desire to do something for their war troubled homeland. From Palestine into Egypt and on to Denmark, gripping right to the end, you won't put it down, a one sitting read. Enjoy ☺
Maria Norso
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about this book is the dedication. It's not the usual thing, to some person or a cause or even a group of people. For a work of fiction, the dedication is at those top whatever lists of dedications. The author doesn't hide that he supports a free Palestine.

When I first read it, I thought it was going to be a political thriller or even an opinionated piece of crap but I was very wrong. I couldn't let it down from the minute I grabbed it. I got a paperback version from the local boo
Khalida
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
this book is highly recommended for everyone. even though this story on this book is fiction, but the conflict between the Israeli-Palestinians are real and was began since the mid-20th century. so, the war, the fear, and the violence are real. this book seems like pictured or described the situations there very well like this book written based on true story.
I also like the quotes, What Is Past Is Dead, the quotes like telling us to move on and continue live your life even though you were just
Bambi Coppler
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I won this book on goodreads giveaways. Starting the book I had difficulty following what was going on. Each chapter shifted through time quicker than I images to happen. This book is overall depressing. I am not sure it is the book for me. Even though it is fiction I did get an understanding of what life is like through the eyes of the people in Palestine.
Marissa
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Signed Win Copy

This short story tells the story of three young Muslim men and their idealism under the influence of hashish. A one night journey that will end up changing their life.

A quick read that leaves you pondering the state of the world.

Francis
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
Julie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An other great book from Mohammed Massoud Morsi. Once again he gets that ability to make you feel what the characters feel, his strongest weapon to open our eyes on a world we forget too easily, unfortunately... But my question is: what is past is it really dead? Because some how there are things we can't forget, bad things life can bring on its way. Make your own opinion, find out what I mean by reading the story.
Martin Due
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hash, Guns, strange characters that disappear into the night, a goat and a well written short story into poverty, desperation, identity conflict. Like thrown into a larger story and left there, I ended this story in a morning sitting with a million questions. Loved it!
Juanita
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another compelling peep hole experience into a troubled landscape and beyond. I felt like I was on the physical journey through the Sinai. The atmosphere thick and palpable. The writing although unpredictable is rewarding and effective in conveying it's message. An excellent read.
Shae
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting

Chilling, riveting, heartbreaking suspense etched from the reality of the horrors of Gaza. I highly recommend you indulge in the story while at the same time gaining empathy for the Palestinians through this intimate account of life on the edge of the blade of sacrifice.
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Won this Through Goodreads First Read.

Three young men fuelled by idealism and hashish make a decision that will forever change their lives.

This book itself may be fiction, but the conflict it represents is very real. What is past is dead is a snap shot of what life is like for the people that are living through the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

As it was a small book, just over 50 pages. I found it to be a very quick read. I actually felt like it was a chapter from a longer novel. For me there ju
Saeida Rouass
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading What is Past is Dead and felt the location of the tunnel depicted the raw desperation of the characters. I think the main character was conpelling and the msculine world the friends was well depicted. I believe the story has the potential to be developed into a full novel and for me it was over too soon.
Cherye Elliott
rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2016
Matty
Jul 31, 2016
Amber
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thimg preventing me from giving 4 stars is because there were definitely a couple of moments where I had no idea what was going on, and those moments jolted me out of the story.

So it's 3.5 stars for that reason. That said, this book is so engaging and hard hitting in its depiction of grief and tension for such a short book. Recommended.
Diego Guerra
Jul 10, 2016
Consuelo Murgia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Mohammed has just arrived in Egypt from Denmark. He’s Egyptian like his friends Mido and Ahmed, but he speaks and looks like a foreigner. The three of them travel through the desert at night to sell hashish to some Israeli soldiers and they smoke some of it before unloading the van.

Mohammed and Ahmed are cousins. The first, after his early years in Egypt, moved to Denmark with his family while Ahmed stayed in his country and started to work as a microbus driver in Suez.

The routine is picking up
SweetBookMary