Start by marking “The Devil's Mouth (Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Mouth (Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter, #1)

The Devil's Mouth

(Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter #1)

The only things Alex Rains cares about are rock ’n’ roll, classic cars, and killing vampires—that is, until he meets Carmen, a tough-as-nails cop who's hot on the trail of her missing little sister.

When the two join forces, they leave a trail of corpses across the desert as they race against the clock, hunting an ancient evil that’s preyed on the migrants of the Ame
Published May 17th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Mouth, please sign up.
Matt Kincade Loraine, sorry it took me so long to get to your question! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, and rest assured that a sequel is in the works. I'm…moreLoraine, sorry it took me so long to get to your question! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, and rest assured that a sequel is in the works. I'm aiming for sometime around the end of the year, but that's really a guess, and probably an optimistic one at that. I'll get it out as soon as I can, I promise.

-Matt(less)

Start your review of The Devil's Mouth (Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter, #1)
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who prefers that vampires sparkle only when immersed in a white phosphorus grenade
I would give this book 5 stars for story. You know it's good when you are sad that it is finished.

Matt Kincade had story telling talent - that is for sure.

I am deducting 1 star for the lack of a final edit to clean up issues with the text. There are multiple instances of jumbled sentences which detract from the book.

All that said - those issues are very fixable.

I'm looking forward to reading the next instalment
Jess Haines
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short version: If you like vampire movies like From Dusk Till Dawn, or enjoy work by authors like James R. Tuck, you need this book in your life.

From Dusk Till Dawn and Blood and Bullets

Long version: This book. THIS BOOK.

I had so many things I meant to do the day I started reading it. All those things? Not done, because I could not put this sucker down. *rimshot*

Alex Rains is a new ki
Thoregon
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, humor
I am always on the lookout for some good UF and this one is a gem. If you are looking for fluffy, sparkle vampires, you sure wont find any here.

The characters were distinctive and Alex was outstanding with his southern drawl and cowboy attire. The motivations and backstories of the characters were worked into the story in a seemless and congruent way and made them feel alive. I cant remember the last time a hero had at lay in bed for two weeks.

The plot was well thought ou
Debbie Hughes
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Given in exchange for honest review.

What an incredible story! I hated that I could only read in the evenings, I didn't want to put it down! I love that the vampires die when exposed to light, as they should, no sparkling. Such a heart felt story. Love Alex, such an amazing character. My heart breaks for him and the life he has had to survive. All you want is for him to get what he deserves. I can not wait to read more of this series, I am sure we are going to see where he and Carmen go from her
Barb Taub
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could give more than 5 stars to any book, it would be The Devil’s Mouth by Matt Kincade. Not only did it start with one of my all-time favorite writing quotes from Alan Moore, but it sucked me in immediately and did not let go until I’d somehow raced through all 384 pages in one night without so much as a potty or coffee break.

So instead of extra stars, I’ll just tell you that the second I finished reading The Devil’s Mouth, I pulled up Amazon in a desperate search for anything
Nervous Nellie Justice
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reviewed
Derek Edgington
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4/5 for a multi-layered urban fantasy that brings real issues to light.

The Devil’s Mouth begins as one may expect from this type of book— with blood and vampires. One might not expect, however, to be confronted with as distinct a main character as can be found in this book. Alex Rains is a no-nonsense cowboy with a dark past that’s found his calling as a vampire hunter.

A little background about Kincade’s vampires: Thankfully, we aren’t confronted with vampires that sparkle or shine,
LionAroundWriting
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect beyond loving the cover. I'd never read a vampire novel before and The Devil's Mouth is a cracking read. Engaging story, a tight group of characters with their own traits, great dialogue and overall a terrific read. What a debut novel.
The story centres around Alex Rains a vampire hunter who stands out as a unique character to me in the vampire realm and ultimately the tale turns into a hunt to find a missing person, the sister of Carmen, who Alex helps out. ...more
Aviar Savijon
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Devil's mouth

This book I wasn't sure about it, then I started reading it and the characters started growing on me. This wonderfully written story will amaze you and entertain you for hours and doesn't stop doing that til the last sentence. Let the characters grow on you to but don't let them get to close some are vampires don't ya know :)
Christopher Ogden
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Fairly basic but entertaining

It was a fairly basic story populated with interesting characters. Doesn't waste a lot of pages on forced exposition it flows naturally. The romance angle felt forced.
Nick
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is was fun, fast paced and surprisingly touching book.

It had a very comic book feel throughout and the world, whilst interesting, didn't feel that well fleshed out. Still the characters were good, Carmen at times felt a little too good at learning but otherwise the bad guys were bad and the good guys were good.

The romance was handled well, even after certain incident unfolded and despite the slightly sad ending it had elements of hope too.

A good start to the series,
Tina  Plengsri
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A engaging read.

Not your typical vampire tale. The main character is both flawed and interesting. At first you think you're going to get a boy saves girl story , but the plot twists into something much more interesting . I just bought the second book in the series. I am very much looking forward to reading it.
Alexandria
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital, owned
Unusual take on the vampire story, good tie-ins to old west history. Would read again to remind myself of the characters.
troy blaisdell
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vampires in the desert

alex rein is a badass, can't wait to read the sequel, Matt's vampires were so good I can't wait to see his take on the undead in the next book.
Josh Randell
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, great character!
Johnny
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good fun

A few mistakes close to the end, but overall a good story with some good twists and turns.
I recommend this book to those that like vampire hunters.
Jaffa Kintigh
With a particularly well-played prologue to hook the mood and scenery, this vampire hunter series starts on all the right notes. Vampires on the southern US border are preying on illegal immigrants directly and on a legal system that'd prefer to look the other way when it comes to trials of the disenfranchised.

The hero of this tale, Alex Rains, is a Taratino-ish cowboy that'd blend in with the characters of Kill Bill. The campy aw-shucks-t'aint-nothing attitude belies the sword-play martial arts. Ea
Loki Lokash
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
When looking for another junk food title, I had a choice - there was a book with a spaceship on the cover, or The Devil's Mouth - the cover of which looks like a movie poster for a 1970s grindhouse horror film.
I made my choice, and I regret nothing.
Okay! Main character - Alex Rains: Rockabilly Badass, who will be played this episode by Kevin Bacon as seen in Tremors.
Carmen Carranza - Alex's steadfast sidekick and love interest / ex-MTV Video DJ if her name is any indicator, played b
Heather
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book contains the line, “The Don doesn’t make a lot of mistakes.” That’s because he makes ALL OF THEM. Evil monologues (plural!), leaving your enemy alive, letting your enemy pick up a weapon and go after you just because you want to prove you’re better, insisting on killing people yourself when that should be what your people do for you, and doing most of these things multiple times. Much of this book is one giant facepalm revolving around the inexcusably dumb choices made by a vampire who’ ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked The Devil's Mouth. Like others have mentioned, it has a Tarantino/Rodriguez feel to it, with a bit of Coen brothers added in. The protagonist was pretty damn likeable (I was charmed) and the female lead has understandable reactions to everything. Plus, there was Elvis and a lot of decapitation. This book would make a really awesome movie.
Nancy Hebeker
An entertaining book

A vampire hunter, who happens to like Elvis , wears Hawaiian shirts and speaks with southern dialect. I read this pretty much straight through the day and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series., it's that good.
Nathaniel Hanley
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Just an overall fantastic book. One of my favorite vampire stories. There is a lot to say. If you enjoy vampire hunters with some sex appeal and humor, you owe it to yourself.
Ben Thompson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ready for more Alex Rains!!!!

Awesome read with a captivating protagonist full of badassery and witty good ol boy phrases. There was an interesting and original take on vampires and how they operate. Look forward to more!!
Daryl Miller
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting twist on a vampire hunter story.

Loved the contrasting characters they make the story. I recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre of story. Hoping for more in series.
Dick SantaCruz
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cowboy vs Vampire

This was a great read. The missile silo and Hunter network was very creative. Looking forward to the next book.
Jordan Lee
May 17, 2017
Linette Veldhuizen
Jun 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Catastrophe (Sekhmet #1)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Blackjack Villain (Blackjack #1)
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • The Green Lama: Scions (The Green Lama Legacy Series #1)
  • The Chronicles of Old Guy (Cybertank Adventure, #1)
  • The Sapporo Outbreak
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2
  • Cavern of the Blood Zombies (Grave Robbers' Chronicles)
  • Conjuring Destiny (Brides of Prophecy #3)
  • Ashes and Wine
  • The Threshold (Alastair Stone Chronicles, #3)
  • Horror in Honduras (The Bulletproof Adventures of Damian Stockwell,#1)
  • SEAL Team 666 (SEAL Team 666 #1)
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • In the Demon's Company (Demon's Assistant, #2)
  • Robots versus Slime Monsters
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
Matt Kincade, the son of a librarian, was often left to wander the fiction shelves for hours as a child, happily lost among the stacks, soaking up a love for words and the smell of books.

Since then he has been a pizza chef, a sandwich artist, a cash-register jockey, a night manager, a furniture assembler, and a creepy one-hour photo clerk, all while pursuing his dream of being an autho

Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter (2 books)
  • Hell Night (Alex Rains, Vampire Hunter #2)