Start by marking “Merely This and Nothing More: Poe Goes Punk” as Want to Read:
Merely This and Nothing More: Poe Goes Punk

Merely This and Nothing More: Poe Goes Punk

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A clockwork raven. Two sets of irresistible teeth. A house brought to life by nanobots. A heart that won't stop beating. All this and much more in the Writerpunk Press version of the beloved suspense stories by Edgar Allan Poe. We've pulled out all the stops this time around to bring you the very best punked versions of classic Poe tales, complete with shiny gears and tiny ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Merely This and Nothing More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merely This and Nothing More

Leo McBride
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If the sheer style of this idea - a punk take on Edgar Allan Poe - doesn't seduce you, I'm not sure what will, but I'm game to give it a go.

The punk in the title is all things writerpunk - be it steampunk, cyberpunk... alas no unicornpunk*, but one can't have everything!

The collection features a number of writers, all contributing their take on the works of Poe. Bookended by very different takes on the Fall of the House of Usher, we stop off at variations on The Raven, The Masque of the Red Dea
November Is Nyarlathotep
Review: MERELY THIS...and nothing more

A thought-provoking, wide-ranging anthology, showcasing both the glory of Edgar Allan Poe, 19th century Master of Horror, and today's authors whose imaginative endeavours boldly go beyond, even into the future, MERELY THIS...and nothing more, is a collection to be read, savoured, and delighted in. (A great gift too!) 21 authors offer 21 widely different, delectable stories for your enjoyment. Can't wait to see their next effort!
Theresa
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from a friend.

If you love Poe, you will love this collection of short stories. It has all the flavor and mood of Poe with steampunk attributes. But it's not a retelling of Poe with a few steampunk items thrown in. The stories are clever and creative, originally inventive. With only a few exceptions, they are fresh stories inspired by Poe.

I look forward to following it up with their steampunk version of Shakespeare.
Justin McKibben
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Merely This and Nothing More is the third outing by the Writerpunk Project. This is a collection of short stories based Poe's works and set in various punk settings.
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced reader's copy and I have enjoyed going through the tales within. My expectations were met and exceeded by the stories I have read. I feel I had envisioned reading the tales and merely seeing a bit of punk elements added to the stories I had already read. What I got was something much d
Melissa Areland
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could easily have been a five star review. In fact, if a 4.5 were possible, that's what I would give, as it is. Many of the stories are wonderfully immersive. Actually, the only (few) times an individual story (or two) falls short is in an attempt to be social commentary or satire of current sociopolitical/cultural norms or movements.

Those stories that are of another world, and that stay firmly in that world, ( no matter what the reader may infer about their own world by comparison) are th
Hilary Anderson
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Knowing one of the authors, he offered me a chance of reading a review copy which I was keen to take him up on. The price was an honest review.

This is a good book and could be great for some. The quality of the stories is good, the editing is fine so no typos/format issues to steal your pleasure and there is a good range of different styles and "voices". The downside for me sadly is the reason for the book - the stories are inspired by Poe, an author I love and know fairly well. Some of the sto
Becca
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both fans of classic Poe and those who have never read him before will enjoy this book. Many different authors bring their unique perspective as well as some Punk genre flair to each of the stories contained in the anthology.

It was very entertaining and the writing is well done. The stories flow and transition smoothly throughout the book. I highly recommend this one and all proceeds go to charity so it is well worth it.
D.R. Perry
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This anthology presents classic and beloved Poe stories and poems in the steampunk, cyberpunk, dystopian and utopian styles. I loved both interpretations of Annabell Lee and the Fall of the House of Usher. As an extra bonus, all of the money you spend on this anthology goes to help a no-kill animal shelter. So, you can't go wrong with this book if you love any punk genre, Poe, or animals!
Andrea Hintz
Kimberly Gierke
Mar 08, 2018
Daryl Ball
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If one loves any work by Edgar Allan Poe it is hard not to find a joy in reading the many pieces in this book. An anthology in which numerous authors re-imagine and pay tribute to different works of Poe in the context of one of the many Punk genres and sub-genres. The result is truly something remarkable, aided in no small part by the clear love each author has for both their craft but also the man who inspired it.
Alice Phillips
Aug 20, 2016
Linda
Sep 01, 2016
Amber
Dec 03, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Christy Mann
Pamela
Jun 15, 2016
Lacey
Dec 06, 2016
Jeffrey Cook lives in Maple Valley, Washington, with his wife and three large dogs. He has lived all over the United States. He’s contributed to a number of role-playing game books for Deep7 Press out of Seattle, Washington, but First Light is his first novel. When not reading, researching or writing, Jeffrey enjoys role-playing games and watching football.