Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance

Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance

(Agatha Raisin #15)

Can the feisty Agatha Raisin cut it as a private investigator? She soon learns that running her own detective agency in the Cotswolds is not quite like starring in a Raymond Chandler movie. But then in walks wealthy divorcee Catherine Laggat-Brown, who presents Agatha with her first real case. Death threats, blackmail, and worse quickly follow, and once again Agatha is off ...more
Audio CD
Published March 31st 2015 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance
Cherie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha opens her own detective agency. At first she is disappointed in handling only small cases like missing cats. Then she gets an exciting case to investigate, an attempted murder. While investigating the case, a murder occurs that appears to be connected. Her detective agency gets so busy that she has to hire staff to help her--which causes some drama.

I do believe this mystery is the most intricate and complicated mystery that we have seen so far in this series. It was nice to have a more c
Sally906
Agatha Raisin is the character I love to hate. If she was a real life person I would be polite but not pick her as a close friend. Yet I love to read what she gets up to and how the few friends she does have love her warts and all.

This time she is in danger just because she is being her normal self - half way through she starts to realise there is an issue, but thinks it's someone else's problem not hers.
Becca
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My book blog partner in crime, Kate, and I listened to the bulk of this audio book on a 5 hour drive back from Manchester. I've just finished the rest of it, and I'm quite glad it's over actually!

Don't get me wrong I love Agatha, but this book had so many characters to get your head around, and it felt like there were two completely separate stories going on, until the end.

Agatha has started her own private investigation firm and after getting the usual missing dogs, unfaithful husbands and cats
Anastasia
Agatha Raisin and the Deadly Dance by M.C. Beaton is the 15th book in the Agatha Raisin Mystery series. Agatha Raisin opens her detective agency and is hired by a wealthy divorcee whose daughter has received a death threat if she proceeds with her engagement. These books grow on you. Even though Agatha is so self assured and arroganr, she recognises her vulnerabilities and her flaws and you cannot help but like her. There is a lot going on in this book. A fun and easy read.
Yvonne
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of solving crimes as a hobby, Agatha Raisin finally opens her very own detective agency. She figures this should be easy with all her investigative experience. However, it’s not quite as simple as she thought it would be. Her agency is hired to do little cases like finding missing cats. Agatha was hoping for more than that.

She finally gets a client, Catherine Laggat-Brown, looking to hire her to protect her daughter. Apparently the girl has been receiving death threats. Mrs. Laggat-B
Gerry
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was just rambling through the doings of Agatha and Carsely around about page 75, and enjoying them as always, when I suddenly realised that no murder had up to that point been committed - an attempted shooting okay, but no actual murder. Then page 78, 'And on that bed lay a man, face-down.' Of course it was the first murder!

Thereafter Agatha trots off to Paris, gets involved with the French gendarmerie, is flown back to England and then her investigations, as is often the case, rub the local c
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
I absolutely love the Agatha Raisin series and this book certainly didn't let me down! This is the 15th book in the series. It is the type of book that is perfect for a sunny day sat out reading, it is a quite quick read as it is one that captures your attention and retains it throughout the novel.

In this book we follow Agatha on a journey to find out who starting sending death threats then who killed the grooms father. The journey leads us from the quiet little village all the way to France, it
Gina
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do think this series is getting better! The mysteries are more complex, with more twists than the earlier ones (although I did figure this one out before the end) and NO JAMES LACEY! It annoys me that she still pines for him and falls for anything good-looking in trousers, but she seems to slowly be gaining insight into her flaws. Very slowly. But she's still good fun and the ending was absolutely hilarious.
Michael mister.is.me
Great fun read
Rbucci
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved MC Beaton in the past, but had not read this character. The mystery was fun and diverting, but I didn't care much for the main character.
The Flooze
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the series, introducing new characters and a change of scene for Agatha.

There's also an expansion of point of view. In the past, we've occasionally been privy to the thoughts of other characters, but only very briefly and usually as a means of expanding on Agatha's personality or looks. This time we have large passages devoted to other characters' mindsets. The change is refreshing. It heightens the tension while also upping the amusement as we learn whether or not Agatha has
Julie
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what number in the series this one is, but Deadly Dance by M.C. Beaton, an Agatha Raisin novel, is right on with her other books. In this installment, Agatha is beginning to feel her age. She stopped once or twice to think about how someone else might be feeling, so perhaps a mild mellowing is happening as well.
Agatha decides to open her own detective agency. It's much harder than she thought it would be. She has to hire staff and work more than one case at a time. Her first really
Millie
This is the first Agatha Raisin book I have read and it was awful. I am surprised by all the good reviews. I did not like Agatha at all and the plot was preposterous. Perhaps if I had started at the beginning of the series I would like her better (?). I considered giving it one star but decided to be a bit generous with two because I started mid-series. The writing was simplistic which made it a very quick read. It did not measure up to the level of authors such as Deborah Crombie or Louise Penn ...more
Amanda Wells
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so finally we get Agatha's detective agency!
This book felt somewhat different to the previous 14 for that sole reason. We got to see more mysteries. We got quite a few more characters in detail. And the central mystery (or mysteries) was actually rather thrilling.

I do feel that it could have been tightened up a tad more - there was a lot of back and forth, and sloppy policing and all that - but it was such a successful change from the previous formats that I am rating it closer to four tha
Janet
Agatha and her familiar storylines have been perfect for the too-busy-to-read times I’m in right now. This one was interesting as the cottage next door has yet another new tenant, but, this time, a woman.
As always, Penelope Keith narrates perfectly.
Laurie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A favorite series from this author. This book satisfied with the incomparable Agatha and a solid mystery.
Curlyhair
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Agatha Raisin cozy and one of my favourites in the series. Lots going on for dear Agatha, old favourite characters part of the story and new characters too.
Savy
Intrigueing storyline, I enjoyed the characters' actions immensely. Depicted, as per usual with M.C. Beaton, perfectl easy to read and follow, and really puts the "pleasure" in leisure-reading!
Also, I just love the character of Charles, and how he and Agatha interact and work together. Wish... well I wish for a lot of things, but most of all, that more people read these books!
Karen Kneller
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love an Agatha Raisin!!
Forthbridge
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully observed description of an ideal English village where respectable matrons take tea and exchange news over perfectly home baked cake and scones.
Of course there are some grumbles and rivalries, but these are settled using the traditional methods such as hunting knives, rat poison and high velocity rifles.
A sort of Anglicized Charlottesville with plenty of 'bad people on both sides.' My first by this author who I regard as a comic genius.
Jenn
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even with the occasional eye-rolling cheesiness the writing has improved in the last few books, and the plots a bit tighter. James remains gone and is mentioned less and less. Coincidence? I think not.
Dora Carson
I usually love MC Beaton but this particular story really annoyed me. I found the characters unrealistic and unbelievable. I usually don't mind exaggerated characters but I found Agatha Raisin particularly unsympathetic in this mystery; and I thought the Emma character went from interesting to ridiculous. Even the mystery itself did not engage me. The only reason I finished the book is b/c I hate leaving books half-read.
Pinky
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-17
Agatha starts her own detective agency and murder and mayhem come to the Cotswolds. There was a lot going on in this one - multiple evil plots. More Sir Charles in this one, a touch of Roy Silver, and an excellent Christmas dinner party complete with the cats knocking down the holiday decorations. One of the unsung heroes in all of the books: the cleaning lady Doris Simpson. Well, sometimes she lets the murderers into Agatha's house, so not always heroic.
Linda
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun simple read. Agatha Raisin the main character is always trying to have a romance with most of the men she meets. What is funny this time is a new employee she has at her detective agency that is even worse then her.
Of course we have murder mysteries that you have to try to figure out. That is what I always love solving and how they connect just like a puzzle.
Robert
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, humor
Like others I've read in the series, "The Deadly Dance" is filled with humor and lots of deserving victims, including the would-be perps. Still, the denouement, which I won't attempt to describe, stretches the boundaries of credibility even for writing that thrives on the absurd and preposterous for humor.
Elizabeth  Huber
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of British Cozies, Anglophiles in General
Another great read from the queen of British Cozies, M.C. Beaton. I loved this book, the plot kept me hooked and as always the cast of characters from her Cotswolds village are great company. Slipping into one of these stories feels like putting on a favorite pair of leggings on a cold day, comforting and delicious.
Rosemary
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another enjoyable installment from MC Beaton in the life of Agatha Raisin. Agatha has turned serious and started a detective agency. There are missing cats and teenagers to find. Then, there is a murder to solve. Agatha is fun as always.
Charlene
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Crotchety, self-centered, insecure Agatha Raisin does it again, solving a complicated mystery that baffles even the Special Forces. Looking for love in all the wrong places, Agatha forgets to think about her true friends, apologizes too little, too late, but is eventually forgiven.
Kate
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may have been one of the best ones yet! They keep getting better & more hilarious as I go! Gotta love Agatha Raisin and all her shenanigans! ...more

• Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Tu fais quoi pour Noël ? Je t'évite !
  • The Clutter Corpse
  • Date with Danger (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Miss Tonks Turns to Crime (Poor Relation, #2)
  • Darned if You Do (A Needlecraft Mystery, #18)
  • Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2)
  • The Drowning Spool (A Needlecraft Mystery, #17)
  • Date with Poison (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Bal mortel à Honeychurch : Les mystères de Honeychurch
  • J'ai encore menti
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Ah l'amore l'amore
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

News & Interviews