Start by marking “And The Wolf Shall Dwell” as Want to Read:
And The Wolf Shall Dwell

And The Wolf Shall Dwell

Imagine being knocked over by a strange old man on a cold London morning…
The man delivers a garbled message about the Queen…
Moments later he falls under the wheels of a train…
The media calls it suicide, but you know better - something doesn’t quite add up…

That was the start of the day for John Daniel, a foreign professional working in the City of London
Published August 4th 2017 by Blue Poppy Publishing

To ask other readers questions about And The Wolf Shall Dwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And The Wolf Shall Dwell

Start your review of And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Sue
AND THE WOLF SHALL DWELL is a great debut spy thriller by author Joni Dee, that I believe will appeal to a wide audience. Having grown up with James Bond movies, this novel reminds me of Jason Bourne and the series. I was hooked from the beginning!

Imagine being knocked over by a strange old man on a cold London morning…
The man delivers a garbled message about the Queen…
Moments later he falls under the wheels of a train…
The media calls it suicide, but you know better - so
Sean Peters
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review for this book, my rating is hard for this as my true rating is clearly a 3.5...

Joni Dee, thank you so much for a copy of this your first book. I commend you for a very interesting first novel, and really my first spy/political thriller novel...

And The Wolf Shall Dwell deals with spies, intelligence, counter intelligence, espionage and terrorism. It is a cleverly constructed plot that draws the reader in.

Yochanan, or John, is a computer programmer liv
Briar's Reviews
And the Wolf Shall Swell by Joni Dee

This thriller felt like a mix of Jason Bourne, James Bond, Man from U.N.C.L.E and Jack Reacher. It was a fast, thrilling ride that will keep you hooked until the last page!

The book is fictional, but felt oh so real. Joni Dee's descriptions and plot lines mirror reality, which thoroughly impressed me. Additionally, the settings were so beautifully described - I felt like I was in London (and I've never been there before). Mixing in the w
Werner
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Espionage or "thriller" fans who aren't too critical
Recommended to Werner by: The author
Debut author Joni Dee and I are (relatively recent) Goodreads friends, and I accepted his offer of a free review copy of the e-book edition of this novel not knowing what to expect. Misunderstanding some comments about it by others lowered my expectations drastically; but when I began seriously reading it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this had been an overreaction. As is sometimes the case, my ultimate rating turned out to be a median between the two reactions in my friends circle (wh ...more
Maureen Carden
I have a weakness for spy thrillers. I have a weakness for English spy thrillers and Israeli spy thrillers. So imagine my delight when I was handed a book that combines elements of both; new author, new series even better.
An old source contacts his retired handler, Adam Grey. Later, while running for his life, the old source knocks over an Israeli computer maven working in London leaving him a garbled message. Through the wonders of CCTV and facial recognition software the Israeli, John Daniel,
Annie
ACTUAL RATING 4.5*

And The Wolf Shall Dwellis a great debut novel. Excellent development of the characters as the story progresses. This is a spy thriller that switches back and forth from past to present. Full of intrigue and suspense etc., that gets you hooked into the story - which is exactly what great fiction is supposed to do.

The story starts off
Vicki
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the Wolf Shall Dwell is a book that took me into the terror and uncertainty of modern London the characters are well written with modern ghosts and unexpected participants that find themselves in over their head.

The story unfolds in a logical manner that escapes the Mission Impossible confusion. Joni keeps you pretty much in the loop so that you feel a part of the team.

The human moments are strong in the story. You see the side of a terror event from an unexpected source and it was eye ope
Sandy
You never know what you'll find in the depths of your kindle. The effort to slim down my TBR pile continues & after starting/stopping a couple, I hit on this entertaining spy vs. spy story set in London. An innocent bystander bumps into the wrong guy & gets sucked into the murky world of espionage & geopolitics, setting up an unlikely partnership with a retired MI6 agent. The plot is intricate & full of interesting & shadowy characters that keep the story moving at a steady p ...more
Lee
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Firstly I would like to thank Joni for the opportunity to read the first chapters of his new release, this is a great thriller and right up my alley. It begins with John travelling to work as he usually does each day and thinking about the launch of a new software program he is involved in. As he continues on his way a man comes out of no where, runs into him and is then killed by a train. Was this a coincidence? is there any relationship between these two men? Where will this lead? These are ju ...more
Todd Simpson
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly Entertaining. There is so much to like about this book. Joni Dee has done a wonderful job in putting together a Thriller that definitely packs a punch. I quite enjoyed the tense and interesting plot that kept me guessing throughout the story. I knew after reading the introduction/blurb that I was probably going to enjoy this book, and I certainly wasn’t disappointed. The Author has a great writing style, and he has that ability of pulling you into the story. John Daniel was just an av ...more
Stacey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a rating, but didnt write a review at the time, which I must apologize for.
Reviews are quite important for authors, especially for debut authors.
I have a weakness for including spoilers in my reviews, so you wont see any meat of the book here.
I love a great spy novel.
For me, that means it should be clever, creative, and a page turner.
I certainly wasnt let down.
The characters come to life and stay that way throughout the novel.
While reading t
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
‘This is great. You are playing a John le Carré book, and I’m about to get it.’

Early one morning, John Daniel, an Israeli national, is heading to work in the City of London. He’s waiting at the train station when an old man running, collides with him. John helps the man to his feet. The man is clearly panicked, and as he runs off he says: ‘The Queen … the Queen … where she is seated … they are all standing there behind her.’ Moments later, the old man is dead. Hit by a train. One of
Ankita Singh
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
And The Wolf Shall Dwell was amazing. It was full of suspense right from the start and only got better as it continued.

I loved the characters, especially Adam Grey the old spy-guy who's still got his edge and John who got stuck into all of this because of a chance encounter with a stranger.

The story progressed smoothly, and the multitude of characters managed to blend in pretty nicely, without creating too much confusion.

And to top it all off, the ending was p
Elisabeth Zguta
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining spy novel for those who enjoy Brit MI6 type stories. The character we follow, John, gets caught in the middle of a deadly game. Old secrets from the nineties surface, back when the Russian KGB scrambled to hide for their lives. The situation explodes into a series of events all so some can maintain their credibility. The writing is descriptive, at times perhaps too much for more avid readers, but one is definitely immersed in the story. The scenes move from place to place, something ...more
Tim Smith
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review at http://world-of-sleuths.blogspot.com/....
Diane Lynch
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating
Julia
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And The Wolf Shall Dwell by Joni Dee is a marvellous political thriller that will have you glued and guessing from the start. With the action twisting this way and that, backwards and forwards, the reader is in for a thrilling ride throughout the novel. This was not my usual genre But I really could not put it down. It's great to explore something new that you then love.
Stephen Bentley
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the plot when young John Daniel, a computer professional working in the City of London, is bowled over by an old man at Liverpool Street train station.

We then read how two burly leather-jacketed younger men seem to chase after the old man who falls to his death in front of a train on a nearby platform. Or does he fall?

Unbeknownst to the leather jackets, the old man has passed on a garbled message to John. It is one he does not immediately comprehend
Joshua Grant
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge sucker for spy novels. That Cold War era thrill of cat and mouse always gets my blood pumping. Joni Dee’s And the Wolf Shall Dwell was a perfect match for me! When an ex-operative is contacted by an old informant, he finds himself wrapped up in a conspiracy with worldwide consequences. Great for any Tom Clancy fans like me!
Ron
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Re-cycled James Bondian mystery. Great concept, but poorly developed. Needs editing.

The following are the opening sentences of the first three chapters:

1. Gracechurch Avenue's lamp posts had managed a feeble attempt to chase away the darkness left by the night, but it still refused to give way to the rising dawn." (This at 5 AM in London in winter.)

2. The alarm clock went off with an old metallic ring and woke him from a dream that now he had trouble remembering.
Brittany's Pages
Update: There is now an audiobook!!! And I loved it!!

I haven’t read that many spy novels in my life, and since I cannot think of a single title at the moment the number must be on the low side. I’ve seen James Bond movies and the like over the years, so I know a bit of what to expect. My original thought going into this was how someone could bring all the secrecy and complexity of a spy story and bring it into a book was beyond me. But Joni Dee nailed it! I loved this book so much! I
Amy Buckle / Amy's Bookshelf
This fast-paced thriller surrounds the notorious life of spies, dealing with everything from jobs-worth politicians and rogue agents to threats against the country. The novel begins when civilian John Daniel finds himself entangled in a mystery after a man gives him a garbled message before falling to his death. With the help of retired handler, Adam Grey, they begin to pick apart the situation and try to work out what is going on. Along the way they encounter a host of spy characters while deal ...more
Norma
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
( Format : Audiobook )
"Like mushrooms after rain."
A spy thriller after the style of John Le Carre, packed with constant twists and moving through different countries with international political intrigue, alliances and betrayals, and personal aspirations to the highest levels always with, as first consideration, the 'cover your back' attitude.

John Daniels has just launched his computer software, the efficacy of otherwise of which will determine his future job security, wh
Dale Lehman
Espionage, political corruption, and international terrorism are a potent and frightening mix. Joni Dee dares stir in with them news still fresh in many people's memories to deliver a seat-of-the-pants thriller centered in London but stretching around the world. It begins when Yochanan (John) Daniel, an Israeli computer programmer living in London, is flattened by a man desperately trying to escape pursuit. The man whispers a cryptic message to Daniel before picking himself up and continuing his ...more
Ariel Merzer
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And The Wolf Shall Dwell is a thriller, a political thriller, set mainly in London. John is unwillingly drawn into the world of espionage thanks to a chance encounter with a man moments before he is killed. With the action twisting backwards and forwards, the reader is in for a thrilling ride throughout the novel. I really could not put it down. It’s great to explore something different where John life spins out of control as he encounters the world of spies, terrorism, and it’s clear he will ne ...more
Oliver Tooley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An explosive thriller, both literally and figuratively.
The narrative has the air of being written by someone with genuine experience of working with the intelligence services, and it turns out that's because Joni Dee has done exactly that.

John, a foreign professional working in the City of London witnesses a man fall under a train, but while the media talk of suicide, John is troubled by what the man said before he died.
Adam, a retired secret agent gets a call from an old informant, telling h
Shomeret
I decided to read the indie spy thriller novel And The Wolf Shall Dwell by Joni Dee because I was interested in the perspective of this new Israeli-Canadian author. So I accepted a free copy from Joni Dee in return for this honest review.

Like most spy thrillers, And The Wolf Shall Dwell is plot driven. So it will fulfill the expectations of thriller fans who expect a fast paced plot with a great deal of action. The events are credible enough so that they could have happened in those
Paula Adams
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is an exciting read. The few chapters I read leave you wanting more. The author draws you in and doesn’t let you go. I just ordered the hard copy as I have to know how this ends. I also love the interaction between the different agents and police. It can be a bit on the funny side what they think about each other. Congrats Joni, you have a winner with this book.
John Dennehy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a page-turner in the best sense of that phrase. Once I began, I breezed right through this book. a great spy thriller, reminds me a bit of Jason Bourne.
Rose Elliott
Audio narration was great! But it didn't really change my original thoughts on the story itself. A decent debut novel!

• The Striker Portfolio
  • Lonely Road
  • The Snare of the Hunter
  • The Diamond Smugglers
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Spy
  • One Man's Flag (Jack McColl, #2)
  • Background to Danger
  • Cop To Corpse (Peter Diamond, #12)
  • The Blue Ice
  • A Fatal Flaw (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #3)
  • Shadow of the Raven: Sons of Kings: Book One
  • Alternative Truths
  • New Self, New World: Recovering Our Senses in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Portrait of Molly Dean
  • Late Harvest Havoc
  • 1492: A Novel of Christopher Columbus, the Spanish Inquisition and a World at the Turning Point
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)
Joni Dee is the author pen name of a UK based young financial professional. His enthusiasm for thrillers in particular and fiction in general, has led Joni to write his debut novel "And the Wolf Shall Dwell".

While his writing style is inspired by the great masters of imagery such as Hemingway and Clavell, his gripping story lines have taken after giants such as le Carré, Greene and Derek Raymond.
Joni bases his novels loo