Start by marking “Be a Better Writer: For School, for Fun, for Anyone Ages 10-15” as Want to Read:
Be a Better Writer: For School, for Fun, for Anyone Ages 10-15

Be a Better Writer: For School, for Fun, for Anyone Ages 10-15

One Book for All Kinds of Writers and All Kinds of Writing
Whether you're writing essays for school or fiction for fun, this book helps you be a better writer.
For School... Improve your grades with techniques like the What-Why-How and Content-Purpose-Audience strategies that clarify your thinking and strengthen logical arguments on tests, in essays, and on research report
Published April 20th 2016 by Teaching That Makes Sense

Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite writing guide! This book is intended as a writing manual for ages 10 to 16. However, this is a book that anyone would benefit from reading. As an author, it reminded me of fundamental rules that I'd forgotten. Moreover, there are brilliant writing strategies and techniques that even a seasoned writer can implement. What I loved most about the book was how it was neatly organized, so as to not overwhelm the newbie writer. And there are great lists and graphics that break up the te ...more
Christine Fitzgerald
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great resource for all things writing! Full of ideas that applicable to classroom lessons. Steve provide awesome examples without being too overwhelming for the reader.
Erin Baker
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Be a Better Writer is a must read for anyone who wants to build up his or her own writing skills. It is especially valuable to teachers who have to teach writing but don't consider themselves writers. Steve and Margot have an easy to read writing style that makes reading their book pleasurable. Truth rings from the pages starting with the introduction. In the introduction, they ask, "...which part of a book is the most important?" They share that "middles matter and endings endure, but beginning ...more
Mike Lee
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed writing, even as far back as grade school. That affinity was never identified by any of my teachers, nor myself. It wasn't until I was a working professional that I found myself writing on the weekends as a way to relax. That's when I discovered useful classics like William Zinsser's On Writing Well and entertaining reads like Stephen King's On Writing.

If I had Steve Peha's Be a Better Writer when I was a teen, oh, wow. This book is a gift of knowledge. There are so many usef
Sandra Garza
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Want to get your students to write fabulous sentences? Make sure you check out Chapter 7: Better Sentences and the models on pp 246-254. I have incorporated teaching the first 4 sentence types into my practice. Once students become familiar with the model sentences, their world of staccato sentences is short lived. Mr. Peha's model sentences expose students to complex structures; but, within easily understood student-friendly language. After studying these patterns, my students can write short,m ...more
Anne
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Be A Better Writer" should be on every writing teacher's and every budding student writer's Back to School list. Peha breaks the book into nine chapter chunks. Each chapter is organized and sub-headed for ease of finding just what a writer is looking for. This book could be read as a whole, or by chapter, or even used as a reference book every time a writer is looking for a bit of advice and inspiration.

Steve Peha wrote the book with his wife, professional writer Margot Carmichael Lester. In ad
Meryem Kennedy
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you have not had a chance to read one of Steve Peha’s books, you might want to start with this one. It’s full of great tips and precious ideas. His light-hearted yet passionate approach to writing is addictive.

The table of contents alone is sufficient to lure readers from the get-go. Look at these examples:

“Five Magic Questions: These questions are so helpful you don’t even have to answer them.”

Every Writer Serves a Sentence: Sentences need things. Writers provide them in service of their i
Moon
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It can be difficult to write, let alone teach writing. For many, it is something done without really processing; an act that embedded within us, unaware of the rules, reasons or specific technique we hope to accomplish. So how do we teach our students to become better writers? Margo Carmichael Lester summed it up perfectly when she said “ even the simplest strategy or tiniest tip can make writing easier for you – and make you a better writer” in the book Be a Better Writer For School, For Fun, F ...more
Destiny L
The latest Be a Better Writer is a really good book, it has some new things in it like, Tips and Techniques, Ideas and a lot more. There are some writing samples in it that are very good and I like them. They give you ideas for a new story. The strategies are really good like the what, why, how and the draw label caption. Many more help you plan and organize your story. I would recommend this book for anybody. The book smells delicious like pizza, and I love the way the cover feels like wax so c ...more
Jane Harris
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This comprehensive how-to is extremely accessible. I love the way it's organized, and the examples and activities are spot on. I especially liked the "10 Things You Need To Know Even If You Don't Read This Chapter" pre-summaries, the "Think About It" margin quips, and was very impressed with the inspiration included. This book doesn't just break down the writing process and help teens improve their technique, it encourages writing as an expression of creativity and a means by which people can in ...more
CJ
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book Be a Better Writer is very cool. It smells like a new car. And the feel of the book is like a wax paper or like silk. What I like is the little stories in it - The Wedding is a really cool story. What helped me in the book is the little stories because it helps me think of other stories that I might write. I like the way he put all the strategies with the matching stories to help you see how it all works.
Bree rittenhouse
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The cover smells amazing! A lot of the strategies in the book that I’ve learned this year like the What-Why-How and the Action-Feelings-Setting - they all have taught me how to know what I am doing and how I'm doing it .Steve Peha is a very good writer. I have never read a book that good before. I love the way he put all of the strategies together . I think this book can help older and younger people with their writing.

Danielle McIntosh
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super effective techniques in a great layout! This book should be on every bookshelf in every home and every school! The techniques are grab-and-go ready for busy teachers, but these aren't simple time filling activities. These techniques will make every user a better writer. I'm sure I'll pull this out during the school year to assist my daughers and I've already implemented a few in my own writing. Astonishingly effective!
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Be a Better Writer is a book filled for ANY emerging writer, but more than that, it's a staple for the writing classroom. Peha brings strategies and tips to the writer that produce immediate positive results. Whether you're a teacher or emerging writer, reading this book and implementing these strategies will build your writer confidence and skills!
Ewelsby
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for our entire family, including our middle school and high school children. They really like the checklists on how to create clear topics and the sophomore has used the section on "creating a logical answer to an essay question" for his AP world history exams. I find it useful in my own editing, especially the chapter on punctuation. Also a great gift for a teacher!
Jennifer Gaye
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Be a Better Writer: For School, For Fun, For Anyone Ages 10-15 (The Be a Better Writer Series) is a great resource! Steve Peha shares strategies that work well for teen writers. Lots of wonderful examples, ideas, and activities that can be used in mini-lessons. Be a Better Writer is definitely a must have for writing teachers!
Angelo
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was very interesting and the cover smelled great, like pizza. And the little stories in there are super. And Steve Peha is really nice. I got a free copy of the book, and he is awesome.

P.S.: A super book!
Carlee
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first thing is the cover feels smooth and the pages smell good and I liked how Mr. Peha put short stories in the book. In class, we learned the What-Why-How and I’ve learned Action - Feelings - Setting. I think it can help younger kids or older kids out with writing.
Glenda
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Superb. I posted a lengthy review on Amazon.
Caden
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a really good book. The soft cover feels great!
Tori Woodall
Amazing! Really helped me set up my writing notebook and perfect my skills.
Jasmine
I like the smell of the inside of the book it smells like gornall bar
Katie Brooke
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Steve Peha's Be a Better Writer is full of amazing strategies that really work! A must for teachers of writing!
Ben
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never seen anything like the powerful writing techniques described in this book. Whatever your age level or how long you’ve been writing, you’ll find something here that will help you.
Raleayh
I like this book because it has some colors that I like and it smells really good!
Carolyn Evans