Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice

Read Book* *Different edition

Pride and Prejudice

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,296,313 Ratings  ·  50,927 Reviews
The complete text in a modern, readable typeface.
Four clear introductions by renowned Austen scholars.
A timeline in colour of Jane Austen's world.
A colour map of Jane Austen's England.
An illustrated section on the Army.
A stylish embossed black jacket with an easy-to-use elastic closure.
--exterior packaging
Hardcover, The Winchester Austen, 348 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Worth Publishers (first published 1813)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.

Thomas Do you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most…moreDo you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most eReaders/eReader apps come with an inbuilt dictionary. I think that being able to look up words and phrases immediately helped me to enjoy Pride and Prejudice and understand it well, unlike most of my classmates, who ended up hating it because they were frustrated with the writing. I'm 14 years old and I read it this year so age shouldn't be a problem.

As weird as this method sounds, it really worked and for me, has made reading classics fun rather than a chore. Pride and Prejudice is (legally) free to download as an eBook, so why not give it a try?

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you enjoy Pride and Prejudice; it's such a great book :)(less)
Tanmay Tikekar Though not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than…moreThough not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than Wilde, though.(less)

Stephen
6.0 stars. Confession...this book gave me an earth-shattering Janeaustegasm and I am feeling a bit spent and vulnerable at the moment, so please bear with me. You see, I decided I wanted to get more literated by reading the "classicals" in between my steady flow of science fiction, mystery and horror. The question was where to begin.

After sherlocking through my Easton Press collection, I started by pulling out my Dickens and reading A Tale of Two Cities which I thought was jaw-dropping AMAZO and
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
NOTE: The review you are about to read was written in 2009. 2009! That's 8 years ago! I was 17 and thought I was the smartest person ever! In all honesty I barely remember this book. So, negative comments regarding my intelligence are no longer necessary. They will be ignored. As they have been for probably 6 years now. CARRY ON!

P.S. Can we all just LOL at my use of the words "mind-numbing balls"?? HA.

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why this book
MacK
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where my massive crush on Jane Austen began: alone, on a hot day in Montana, cursing her name.

I had to read it for AP English and I could not see the point. Girls need to marry. Girls can't get married. Girls are sad. Girls get married. Girls are happy.

I went to school to half heartedly discuss it and waffled and wavered in an effort to please my teacher. Finally she said: "was it good or not, Ben?"

"No it wasn't."

"Thank you...now read this twenty pages of literary criticism for homework."

Twenty
Zoë
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS MY JAM. JANE AUSTEN IS MY JAM. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT HER AND THIS BOOK. READ THIS BOOK. THAT IS ALL.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I finally did it!!!! And I loved it!!!!
Troy
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was forced to read this by my future wife.
I was not, however, forced to give it 5 stars.
Rolls
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is unafraid to be seen reading this on the subway
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen started off annoying me and ended up enchanting me. Up until about page one hundred I found this book vexing, frivolous and down right tedious. I now count myself as a convert to the Austen cult.

I must confess I have been known to express an antipathy for anything written or set before 1900. I just cannot get down with corsets, outdoor plumbing and buggy rides. Whenever someone dips a quill into an inkwell my eyes glaze over. This is a shortcoming I readily
Anne
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mainly women
Critics who consider Austen's works trivial because of their rigid, upper-class setting, wealthy characters, domestic, mannered plots and happy endings are almost totally disconnected from reality, as far as I can tell. What can they possibly expect an upper-middle class English woman to write about in 1813 but what she knows or can imagine? Sci-fi? A history of the American Revolution? A real-life exposé of underage exploitation in the garment district of London? Come on. What other setting can ...more
Richard Derus
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-loathed books I've re-read

Rating: 4 very annoyed, crow-feathered stars out of five

The Book Report: No. Seriously. If your first language isn't English, or if you're like nine years old, you might not know the story. Note use of conditional.

My Review: All right. All right, dammit! I re-read the bloody thing. I gave it two stars before. I was wrong-headed and obtuse and testosterone poisoned. I refuse to give it five stars, though. Look, I've admitted I was wrong about how beautiful the writ
Mr. Bennet's Profession 3 10 8 hours, 28 min ago
100 Books Challenge: 2018 Group Read - January - Pride & Prejudice 3 5 Jan 11, 2018 07:14AM
Mr. Darcy or Mr. Bingley? 30 235 Jan 08, 2018 07:21AM
Reading 1001: Pride and Prejudice 3 17 Dec 28, 2017 11:54PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Pride & Prejudice 1 1 Dec 21, 2017 12:34AM
  • Faro's Daughter
  • A Little Princess
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • The Small House at Allington (Chronicles of Barsetshire #5)
  • Good Wives
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Cecilia
  • Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
  • A Woman of No Importance
  • North and South
  • Mrs. Dalloway
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 16306 likes
“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” 16196 likes