Start by marking “The Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Bridge

The Bridge

(Bracken Trilogy #1)

Princess Rosalynn is pretty, spoiled, and childish. She gives no thought to the men and women that protect her father's throne. Then one day, invaders from the enormous kingdom across the river storm across the Bridge and conquer the royal castle. Alone and in danger, Rosalynn sets out on foot to find her father. Driven by fear, she finds the Bridge and crosses it. In the ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

R.A.
This book was really good!! It did not disappoint! (Thanks for the reccomendation, Mary!!!! I'm so glad I bought this!)

I liked this book because (1) the main character's name is Rosalynn and (2) it's medieval! It's a very exciting read with some intense scenes.

I loved the characters - they were very likeable. Reynald was one of my favourites (view spoiler) and Herron is pretty nice too!
Rosalynn had a very upity attitude, but I'm glad she settles down a li
Karis
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karis by: Mary
It’s the best feeling when you’ve finished a book your friends have lavished with praise and it lives up and even exceeds the fanfare. Mary and Allison, I’ve finally read The Bridge!

It was a completely delightful read. Simple but with a charm that makes it a powerful and impactful story. This is the perfect example of a quality book I wouldn’t hesitate to share with young kids. Why? Because it’s masterfully crafted and so rich in lessons, lessons that any parent would strive to instill in their
Raquel Evans
I loved this book as a child. I have to admit, that if I read it for the first time now it might only be 'pretty good', but even without the nostalgia it's a good story. Herron helped shape my ideas of what being heroic and chivalrous looked like, and Roselynn learns to handle adventures very well by the end.

I would say this book is safe for even the youngest readers. There is one kiss on the cheek, but it's not really meant to be romantic. There's some danger and some sad parts, but any bad or
Lydia Howe
My sister first read me this book when I was three, so it's not an exaggeration when I say I grew up with the book. I'm guessing that I've read it at least ten times, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I've read it more than that.

This was the first time I've read the book in several years though, and I was actually amazed that there were sentences, paragraphs, and even one chapter that I hadn't specifically remembered. I was delighted over and over again at how the author weaves the story in
Lynette Staswick
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, children-at-heart
This series has to be one of my all-time favorite children's series. Maybe it's because of my love of kings, kingdoms, and princesses, maybe it's the idea of secret identities, but whatever the reason, these books captured my imagination from the day I first read it over 10 years ago, and I am still held captive by them to this day. These books sit within easy reach on my bookshelf to allow for multiple (and frequent) re-readings.
Miles Smith
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, fiction
My mother read The Bridge to me when I was a young boy. It stuck with me, largely because it is simply a tale of good and evil, with clearly virtuous characters. The ascetic, complete with nighttime escapes on horseback, hidden hideaways in the woods, and the thrilling chases all remind me of the delight of story and how important it is for adults as much as children.
The Wanderer
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My early teenage years were largely defined by this book, and it influences me still. My sister was similarly affected, and when I was a cabin leader at summer camp, I would read it to my girls before bed, and they all fell in love with it, too.

The language is straightforward and not flowery, but at the same time, it has literary class and uses some higher-level medieval vocabulary. The characters are simultaneously strong and nurturing, courageous and obedient. The plot is exciting - an entire
Megan Davis
It's hard to rate this book because it was read to me as a child, and I loved it then. I read it again a few years later and liked it less. Now, looking back on what I remember, I wanted to rate it a one or a two, but I realize my world view clouds my opinion. This is written by a Christian author, and although it is not classed as Christian fiction, I personally think the metaphors are heavy and, quite frankly, a little scary. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. However, this is my adult persp ...more
Alisse
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought The Bridge was alright. I think the best part was whenever Princess Rosalynn was being taken care of by the Wise Woman. I like it in books when everything is alright and homey. I also think it is pretty exciting when the war is going on or something exciting is happening. One time I was reading a good book and something excting is happennig and I bit my tounge because it was so exciting. The next morning it was pretty sore. Haha.
I read (and reread!) The Bridge as a homeschooled child in the 80s and 90s. It was part of our Christian curriculum materials. I had no idea The Bridge was the first in a trilogy until now, February 2015. How exciting! I know we still have our copy around here somewhere. I should find it and read it again, then acquire the other two books.
Mere
A good read for my 5th graders, but the story wasn't as compelling as some of them wished. I found the vocabulary difficult (especially since English is their second language), and the characters just seemed blah. I guess that's to be expected for a young reader novel that's just around 100 pages though.
Samantha
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was awesome, I loved it so much. I like Princess Rosalynn and Herron and the king and the wise woman who saved Rosalynn. I like when Herron and Rosalynn get married and also the wise woman and king get married too. The wise woman was her step-mother, very kind.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books as a child. I highly recommend this and the rest of the trilogy to young readers.
Jill
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy was my favorite to read growing up, even as a teenager. I don't remember how many times I have re-read these three books.
Rebekah Palmer
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the Bracken Trilogy in high school and love all three to this day. Gets me out of my head when I need a short reprieve from trying circumstances. Well written, encouraging stories!
Yibbie
Medieval adventure book for children. Well done, the lesson isn't so obvious it distracts from the story.
Karen
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's fantastic. The discussions that you can have are amazing.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
The Bracken trilogy feel like fantasy novellas, but apart from taking place in a fictional country, they don't really belong in the genre. More like medieval adventure stories.
Samara
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Childhood favorite!
MelanieJoy
I read this as an adolescent and I remember REALLY enjoying it and the rest of the trilogy!
Jessica Fulk
Adored this series as a girl. Rare to find such strong female heroines in kid's books. Would be thrilled if it was made into a tv series or film series.
Karen
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I read it and re-read it many times over.
Lee Anne
Probably wouldn't rate it 5 stars as an adult, but when I was a kid I adored this book.
Joanna
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was great! It is one that kids and adults can enjoy. The plot is is fantastic as is the story itself.
John Chrane
Aug 21, 2015
Apr 22, 2011
Bethany Joy
Feb 28, 2018

• Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Shadow Castle
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • The Seventh Princess
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Sword of Camelot (Seven Sleepers, #3)
Jeri Massi is the author of the Schizophrenic Christianity, Secret Radio, the Peabody Adventures series and the Bracken Trilogy. In 2003, her novel VALKYRIES, published by Moody Press, was nominated for the Christy Award.

Although she began her career writing fiction, in 2001 Jeri set aside fiction writing to pursue justice on behalf of victims of clergy sexual abuse in Christian Fundamentalist ch

Bracken Trilogy (3 books)
  • Crown and Jewel
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)