Start by marking “Wenjack” as Want to Read:
Wenjack

Wenjack

Shortlisted for the 2017 OLSN Northern Lit Award

An Ojibwe boy runs away from a North Ontario Indian School, not realizing just how far away home is. Along the way he's followed by Manitous, spirits of the forest who comment on his plight, cajoling, taunting, and ultimately offering him a type of comfort on his difficult journey back to the place he was so brutally removed
Published October 18th 2016 by Hamish Hamilton

To ask other readers questions about Wenjack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wenjack

Ariel
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Education, I honestly believe, is the only way to start correcting the incredible injustices of the past. The mistreatment of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada is something that I learned so little about throughout my school years, and so it's up to me to fix that.

Reading books like this is harrowing. It's sad and honestly a bit awful. Who, seriously, wants to read about kids being ripped away from their families to be raised in schools that try to abuse their culture out of them? ... No one. But we
Matthew Quann
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oh-canada
This is the most important Canadian book of the year.

I don't just mean that in a literary sense either. No, this book is absolutely essential reading for Canadians. In a country where we pride ourselves on our kindness and sense of community, it is of paramount importance that we look upon the abject horror of residential schools. It is important that we as a country know these atrocities so that they will never be committed again, and so that reconciliation can begin.

I read Wenjack cover to co
Maxwell
This is a nice short book that would be a good introduction to Boyden's works. It's a novella that tells the story of Chanie "Charlie" Wenjack who escapes from a Canadian Indian residential school in an attempt to make it back to his family. It's beautifully written, as all Boyden's books are, and tells a harrowing story. It did lack some depth that I feel Boyden captures in his other short stories, but I still enjoyed it and would recommend it. Now that I've read all of his books, I guess I jus ...more
Norma * Traveling Sister
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read WENJACK by JOSEPH BOYDEN in one sitting which took me less than an hour to read. When I bought this book I didn't realize that is was a novella and I honestly didn't know much about the plot either. I bought it because it looked interesting to me and I knew that I would learn something by reading it. This book is based on Chanie "Charlie" Wenjack's story, which I regretfully have to say that I never knew nothing about. Which is really sad when you think about it.

The story was told in two
Brandon Forsyth
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of those rare stories that only takes an hour to read, but you know will stay with you for the rest of your life. Miigwetch, Mr. Boyden.
Lala BooksandLala
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Many thousands of children died during their time in these alien institutions- from disease, from abuse, from exposure or accidents while trying to run away. The true number of children who died under the watch of those responsible for their care will never be known. Proper records were purposefully not kept. The death of these countless innocents remains one of the deepest, most brutal stains on Canada's history."
David Schaafsma
10/14/17: Re-read for my Fall 2017 YAL class, partly in conjunction with Secret Path, by Gord Downie and Jeff Lemire. Some revisions/edits.

1/9/17:

“Walk on, little Charlie
Walk on through the snow.
Heading down the railway line,
Trying to make it home.
Well, he's made it 40 miles,
Six hundred left to go.
It's a long old lonesome journey,
Shufflin' through the snow.”

The Ballad of Charlie Wenjack (1972) by the great Indian singer Willie Dunn

Something really special has been happening around the 50th anniv
Allison
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book, so tiny and fragile and beautiful, is a gorgeous tribute to a boy who, his family says, was all three of these things.

I love this book -- its frailty in physical size and in emotional contribution.

Boyden has done a beautiful job with a painful subject. Along with Downie & Lemire's Secret Path, Wenjack's story is coming out in a classy way, a touching way and a way that demands attention. I am thankful to all of these artists for what they are giving us as Canadians.
Kathleen
"One day I will run.
One day they won't hurt me anymore."

This quote from WENJACK written by Scotiabank Giller Prize-winning author Joseph Boyden and illustrated by artist Kent Monkman, was probably said by many boys brutally taken from their homes to residential Indian schools.

Chanie, an Ojibwe boy runs away from a Residential Indian School in Northern Ontario, not realizing that his home is over six hundred kilometres away. Manitous, spirits of the forest, follow Chanie and comment on his long
Ammar
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a must read for all Canadians, young and old. Joseph Boyden narrates the escape of Chanie 'Charlie' Wenjack from his residential school to go to his home. This glimpse into a First Nation youth's life shows how horrible those schools were.

It does shine the light on one of the worst moments of Canadian history and how the 'European' wanted to educate and civilize the 'savage' and how horribly wrong it was done.

You can grab a copy from the nearest Chapters or Coles , and you won't regret
Jason
A pocketbook worth reading; there is some kind of power in there on those pages. It is a quiet and poignant blend of reality and lore from the first people of what would become known as Canada, raped of their culture by the white man and forced to assimilate. The little boy in this story is a hero and should be regarded as such. His is one of thousands of similar stories of the toll it took on the men and women who'd been ripped from their families.

If I have one criticism, it's that it wasn't l
Maryam
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, fiction
A must read for every Canadian! This is a very short book but tells the story of one of the darkest periods of First Nation children's lives in Canada!

We always hear how nice everyone is in Canada but reading this book shows not everyone was treated with kindness.
Celise
50 years ago, 12-year old aboriginal boy Chanie Wenjack ran away from a Canadian residential school, heading for the home he had been taken from. He didn't make it.

If you went to a Canadian high school anything like mine was, this subject was optional learning. History class glazed over the chapter where we mistreated first nations children, ripping from their homes, beating them when they escaped, and forcing them to forget their own language, names, and family.

In English class, when Three Day
Kristi
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story of 12 year old Chanie Wenjack, an Anishinaabe boy who ran away from his residential school and subsequently died from hunger and cold alone along railway tracks in Northern Ontario in 1966. His death launched an investigation into these horrendous institutions - though it still took many decades for the last school to finally close its doors . In short: another absolutely essential read from Canada's greatest living writer.
Andrew
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picture the genius writing of A Little Life but in less than one hundred pages, and made even sadder with a First Nations angle.

And a child alone in the cold.

And a true story.

Not for the faint of heart. But you have to have a heart to read it.
❀ Susan G
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads

After meeting Joseph Boyden in June, at the Celebrating Canada’s Indigenous Writers Event, I have been looking forward to his latest book. Wenjack is a novella that is a “pocket-sized” book with a striking black and white drawings of the spirit animals which followed Chanie Wenjack in the fictional story based on his escape from the residential school. Despite its’ small size, the book shares a large impact on readers who consider the terrible legacy of re
Petra
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My heart goes out to Chanie Wenjack and all the others who experienced the loneliness and fear of the Residential School system.
The mysticism in this story warmed my heart. Chanie wasn't alone through his ordeal of finding his way home. I truly hope that Chanie had the hearts of the spirits with him.
This story can be seen on many levels:
Chanie Wenjack, the frightened, hungry, scared 12-year old who tried to find his way home.
Chanie Wenjack, the boy who's plight caused a nation to look at what
Czarny Pies
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Wenjack" is a short novel by Joseph Boyden (winner of the 2008 Scotiabank Giller Prize) the tells the story of Chanie Wenjack (a native Canadian) who at the age of 13 died of hunger after fleeing the Cecilia Jeffrey Indian Residential School at age 13 in Kenora, Ontario, Canada.
Boyden's superb text is accompanied by outstanding illustrations. My problem with the book is the grievous lack of expository material to assist readers unfamiliar with Northern Ontario and the Canadian Residential Scho
Chihoe Ho
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
So much emotional weight and societal significance is packed into this novella, and really, only a great master storyteller like Joseph Boyden can capture the nuance of this tragic true story in such succinct ways through the eyes of the creatures who witness Chanie Wenjack's perilous journey.
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I'm at a loss for words after reading this fictionalized account of Chanie Wenjack's last days, with flashbacks to his time in a residential school. It's through masterfully crafted historical fiction such as this that we can begin to truly understand the horrors of our past.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of poetry and canadian histiry
WENJACK
Written by Joseph Boyden
2016; Hamish Hamilton (118 Pages)
Genre: literary fiction, historical fiction, canadian, canada

RATING: ★★★★

Chanie Wenjack, a young Ojibwe boy is taken from from his family and put into aresidential school in Ontario, Canada. While there he is bullied and abused by those that are supposed to care for him. Despite the danger, he decides to runaway with two fellow "students". Later, he would be found dead. Wenjack's death would lead to an inquest that would reveal th
Krista
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charlie. His real name is Chanie. But the ones who forced him to that school can't pronounce or don't care to listen and so say it with sharp tongues instead. If we could feel pity for this one, we would. His walk before, his walk to come. Neither is easy. All he wants is home. We follow now, we follow always, not to lead but to capture. Someone, yes, will capture this boy's life.

The genesis of Wenjack sounds like the stuff of urban myth: After Gord Downie's brother rediscovered the old Maclea
Andrew
Wenjack, by Joseph Boyden, is the tale of a young boy, Chanie Wenjack, who escapes from a residential school in Kenora, Ontario, to try and find his family. The story follows Chanie as he stumbles through the cold, October landscape of Ontario. He is pursued by spirits who observe him from afar.

For those who do not know, the residential school system was a brutal attempt to destroy Aboriginal culture in Canada. It took children away from their families and placed them in boarding schools to att
Friederike Knabe
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"We follow one, we follow always, not to lead but to capture. Someone, yes, will capture this boy's life."
... muses the Owl as they observe young Chanie Wenjack on his lonely path, running as best he can towards his family and home. Any thought of what he experienced in two years of residential school or of what he would have to live through if he was caught, pushes him along he track. The owl is one of twelve animals - part visible creatures, part wood spirits -, who accompany the young fragil
Brooke
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This tiny novella is incredibly powerful. It tells the true story of Chanie Wenjack, a 12-year-old Ojibwe boy who ran away from a residential school in northern Ontario. Four days later, he was dead. As stated in the Author's Note: "Chanie wasn't, by a very long shot, the only child to leave for residential school and never return. Many thousands of children died during their time in these alien institutions - from disease, from abuse, from exposure or accidents while trying to run away. The tru ...more
Andrea
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am awestruck and heartbroken by the sad, beautiful story the author reimagined for Chanie Wenjack's journey home. Powerful, inspirational and tragic... and lovely how Joseph Boyden brought the presence of the animals' observations and shape shifting into the story to tell this story. Such a tribute and important story to tell and retell for all generations to understand what this country has done, how the people have endured, and how we all continue trying to recover from its dark history.
Taylor
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, spiritual, incredibly sad, poetically written short story.

This is a very tiny book, but it reads so much bigger than it is. Absolutely loved the deep spiritual feeling Boyden inserted into his writing.

Boyden wrote this in a such a brilliant and natural way to portray such a dark and deeply sad true story.

Easy 5/5.
Cathy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This powerful little book was more than the story of the ruthless attempt to destroy a sacred culture. This was a beautiful homage to the circle of life, with a spiritual connection to all living creatures.
Marc-Antoine
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every Canadian owes it to themselves to read this book. The truth is out, time to commence the reconciliation.
Lollita
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, favorites
Such a sad story, such a sad history in Canada. The writing is so beautiful, I absolutely love Joseph Boyden.

• Secret Path
  • The Reason You Walk
  • The Education of Augie Merasty: A Residential School Memoir
  • Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History
  • Medicine Walk
  • Into the Heart of the Country
  • The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel
  • Brown: What Being Brown in the World Today Means (to Everyone)
  • The Heaviness of Things That Float
  • Boundless: Tracing Land and Dream in a New Northwest Passage
  • They Called Me Number One: Secrets and Survival at an Indian Residential School
  • The Back of the Turtle
  • Dear Canada: These Are My Words: The Residential School Diary of Violet Pesheens
  • The Little Shadows
  • All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Dear Current Occupant
  • A Bird in the House
  • The Break
Joseph Boyden is a Canadian novelist and short story writer.

He grew up in Willowdale, North York, Ontario and attended the Jesuit-run Brebeuf College School. Boyden's father Raymond Wilfrid Boyden was a medical officer renowned for his bravery, who was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and was the highest-decorated medical officer of World War II.

Boyden, of Irish, Scottish and Métis heritage