Jump to ratings and reviews

Broken Outlaw #1

Into the Nothing

Xander Evans has been on the road for many years. Never settling. Always moving from one place to another, unable to let go of his past. He lived a tragic childhood, spending most of those years in foster care. He's never felt like he's had a home. That is until he stops in the small town of Truman Valley, Missouri, where he meets a woman who will change everything he's ever known.

Paige Watson has it all. A loving family, beautiful home, and a great career. The only thing she's missing....is love. After escaping an abusive relationship, she opens her heart up to a stranger. He is unlike any man she's ever met. He came into her life and turned it completely upside down. Everything is perfect. That is, until one fateful night.

A night that would tear the Watson family apart, never to be put back together again.

A night that would send Xander away to prison for life.

First published June 21, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

B.T. Urruela

22 books1,808 followers
BT Urruela was an infantryman in the US Army from August 2004 until February 2011. At the end of a year long tour to Baghdad, Iraq, his vehicle was hit by two roadside bombs, which took his right leg below the knee and the life of his commander. He was awarded a Purple Heart for his wounds, an Army Commendation Medal, and Combat Infantryman's Badge. He medically retired from the Army in 2011 and moved to Tampa, FL where he currently works as a Director and Brand Ambassador for VETSports, a veteran community sports nonprofit he co-founded in 2012. He also conducts motivational speeches, works as a cover and fitness model and he's a personal performance trainer.
He's a co-author of the military romance novel A Lover's Lament and the upcoming romantic thriller and his debut solo novel, Into the Nothing.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
32 (3%)
1 star
16 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 413 reviews
Profile Image for Christy.
3,760 reviews32k followers
June 29, 2016
3.5 stars!

photo D7BBE1A7-1949-453F-8375-6C5F9C44A090_zpse0jfxsdc.jpg

Into the Nothing is a romance that leans towards the suspenseful/mysterious side. The prologue of the book pulled me in straight away. Our hero is currently serving time for a crime he did not commit. After that prologue, we go back in time a few years to see what happened to put him in this position that changed his life forever.

I won't talk too much about the story, I’ll let you read it for yourself but I will say that BT’s writing is strong. The story was intriguing. It had parts that were sexy and sweet, and other parts that were mysterious and gritty. I thought the male POV was written perfectly. There was a lot about this story I liked, but I didn’t connect to Paige as I wished I would. That was probably the thing I had trouble with the most. I find it so hard to love a book when I never click with one of the main characters.

The story started as a sweet romance with some fun moments. You could see that Xander and Paige both had some things in their past that made them a little broken, but they were both starting to open up about themselves. The story continues and things start to get a little crazy. Here comes the suspenseful parts of the story… My heart broke for both Xander and Paige and the situation they were both put in. My mind was racing as I tried to figure out what really happened.

As I was really starting to get into the story towards the end, I felt like it wrapped up so quickly my head was spinning. I do have to point out that one of the big reveals at the end totally shocked me. That ‘who done it moment’ I thought I had figured out… yeah, I was totally wrong. I love it when a book surprises me.

There were parts of this story I loved, and other parts that were a miss for me, but overall I think it was a good read and I’m looking forward to reading more of BT’s works in the future. I think his writing is wonderful and he has a ton of potential. I’m especially excited to read A Lover’s Lament as I’ve only heard wonderful things about it!

I would recommend this to those of you that like romantic suspense and a strong male POV. I give it a solid 3.5 stars.

photo 9F765BFB-4A44-4986-B0FB-5C789A88BDFF_zps9ysmnukf.jpg
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,359 reviews4,608 followers
3 STARS

description

For his first solo venture B.T. Urruela presented a mystery type story told in dual povs which is a standalone for this new series. I found the plot interesting yet overall a bit messy.

I do have to point out the fisting teaser is totally out of context and was taken from a conversation at a bar in case readers were turned off by it. In fact the couple doesn’t even sleep together until after the halfway portion of the story and no such thing occurs.

This story is more of a mystery and suspense feel as it starts with the hero wrongly imprisoned and then we are gifted the story of how Xander came to work for the Watson family who owns a vineyard and falls for their daughter, Paige.

“Family is foreign to me. Always has been. When I get a glimpse of it, it’s hard to let go.”

The love aspect of the story was well paced and I did find it indeed believable. The reveals however fell on the predictable side and the ending was very rushed. The story overall could have been fine tuned because overall it felt more scattered than anything else. Still I thought the concept and my interest didn't wane so three star fill for this debut.

description
Profile Image for Beverly.
1,005 reviews800 followers
July 5, 2016
Into the Nothing is BT Urruela’s debut novel and I am happy to say he is not just a pretty face. His writing is raw, emotional and real. After reading the blurb I thought I had a pretty good idea of how this story would go, but BT’s approach was new and fresh.

Xander is new in town when he meets the Watson family. The Watsons appear to be the perfect family and are happy to take in the man who protected their only daughter. Paige and Xander quickly develop a relationship, but it didn’t feel rushed. Their connection developed over time and felt genuine.

Here is the part I wasn’t expecting, we know Xander goes to prison for life. We even see in the prologue he is in prison, so while I was expecting us to see that immediately we actually get to see the beginning events in great detail. It actually takes a good part of the story before we see what events actually took place.

This story is sweet and sexy, but also suspenseful. I did guess the twist pretty quickly, but I think that’s actually very telling of BT’s writing and how he portrayed each character. My only issue with the story was the female POV, she didn't feel like a female to me. She felt more masculine and brash, but maybe that was in the intent. Unfortunately it led to me not connecting to her like I hope to with my characters.

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Elle aka Leftie aka Shoebelle.
630 reviews122 followers
*ARC received from author via Southern Belle PR as part of blog tour *

Well, well, well… Not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it... that's a good thing, I swear... just bear with me...

Before anything else, this may not have anything to do with the book, but I do want to give a shout out to BT. I’ve been stalking, I mean following him, on various social media platform and I couldn’t be more impressed at the things he’s accomplished, never mind his looks. What?! Have you seen him?? *g* He’s very engaging and I always enjoy perusing his SM accounts, just saying…

Even though I own a copy, I haven’t had the opportunity to read A Lover’s Lament, which he co-wrote with another author, but this one is his first solo attempt. For his first solo write, I say not bad… The opening of the story grabs you immediately, that’s for sure.

Xander has quite the past, tragic at that. He was full of secrets, a transient at heart, and Paige’s town just happened to be one of the ones he was passing thru. He met Paige and her dad by fluke, and what was meant to be temporary ended up not being so. Paige and her family took him in, feelings starting to grow until that fateful night, that is.

I really really wanted to love this. It’s got the elements I usually enjoy in my romance reads. Just hear me out... I'll talk about the things that didn't work for me BUT there are definitely things that worked for me...

Where I may have had some issue is the pacing. While I appreciated all the details, which allowed for relationship building, it felt like it made the pace quite sluggish. It made me wonder if the way the timeline was laid out got me impatient, especially with such a captivating start. And because I couldn’t quite match the pace, I admit it did affect how I felt about the characters. As well-fleshed out the MCs were, there was a bit of detachment that I couldn’t help but feel. Consequently, I questioned some of their actions and the maturity of some of their decisions, and as much as I’m one for lots of dialogues, some felt superfluous.

Then, on the other hand, it felt like too many things were crammed at the end. Things that I felt could’ve been expounded on more to make for a more dramatic impact. Mind you, the ending has quite an impact as it is.

BUT, BUT, BUT... Having said all that, while the execution was not necessarily on point in my mind, the story itself is quite unique and definitely not predictable. I had no idea where BT was taking these characters. There was foreshadowing that was handled deftly. There were really heavy issues tackled, issues that BT did not appear to shy away from and that’s quite gutsy. And while I did not quite warm up to the female characters including Paige, the male characters were fascinating and engaging, which included Irish and Twitch in addition to Xander. Xander really was the highlight of this book. He’s flawed, made bad decisions, and has quite a bit of issues but in the end, he’s as stand-up as stand-up get. BT also didn’t give me a traditional ending, which left room for some contemplation and speculation, which I appreciated.

I think BT could have even taken this onto the darker side, but I understand a more contemporary approach will widen his market. That's just me... And I sincerely believe that in time, BT will only get better as he hones his craft.

So like I said, for his first solo write, not bad, not bad at all…
Profile Image for Amy .
2,694 reviews
June 21, 2016
Fantastic Debut, Solo Novel!!

**Before I begin my review, I would just like to note that I did in fact beta read this book for this author. My review is of my thoughts and feelings during the entire process**

“Family is foreign to me. Always has been. When I get a glimpse of it, it’s hard to let go. “

“The first few notes themselves have me in a trance. They’re beautiful and heartbreaking and moving all rolled into one. He transitions from to string to string and strums with the ease and fluidity of a pro, and it’s only a matter of seconds before my hands fall to my sides.”

“I was as lost in the music as he was. The beauty in his voice, the depth of his words, it overwhelms me. He overwhelms me.”

Into the Nothing is the debut solo novel of author B.T. Urruela. My first thoughts upon finishing this book was what did I just read? I was floored. I was shocked. This book took me on one wild and crazy ride with an ending I did not see coming.

Into the Nothing is well written and grabs you from the very beginning. You will have your eyes glued to the pages to find out what will happen next. As you go deeper into the story, you won’t be able to put it down.

One of the things I loved about Into the Nothing is that the story is not as romance focused. Into the Nothing is more character and plot driven. The reader is really given a chance to get to know the characters and experience the story as if they are standing in the book right along with them. I also really liked how B.T. really focused on the family aspect and the overall way he wrote Paige’s family. Her family was written in a way that made them easy to connect with and made them feel like real people and not just characters in a story. And of course, I can’t forget about Brandi. She made me laugh so many times. Everyone and I mean everyone needs a Brandi in their life. She is not only a terrific friend, but I loved how she always told you just how things were and how she wasn’t afraid to speak her mind.

Now, you might be wondering, is there romance? Yes, there is some. But, it’s more of a slow burning romance, instead of an in your face romance. And if you know me, you know that I love my romance. That being said, with this story, the slow burn worked well. You really got to see Paige and Xander get to know one another and be friends, before jumping into something more. And even though Paige and Xander’s romantic relationship was a slow burn, I am happy to tell you that there are some steamy, sexy moments.

Into the Nothing is such an exciting read. I found it refreshing and loved that it is not a traditional love story. It’s a story that will have you laughing your ass off one minute and glued to the pages the next. It is a story that is filled with mystery and intrigue. It will have you on the edge of your seat, trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. And just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, another twist will be thrown in and it will completely blow you away.

B.T. Urruela took a lot of risks with Into the Nothing and I could not be more pleased with the way things turned out. I am so pleased that B.T. took a chance and wrote the book that he wanted to write. He gave us a story that isn’t a traditional love story and doesn’t have the perfect cookie cutter ending. But, the ending he gave us, not only gave us hope, but left us begging for more.
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,082 reviews856 followers
June 25, 2016
Into the Nothing is the story of Xander Evans and Paige Watson. Two strangers who met one night, a night that would change both of their lives forever. Xander is a nomad of sorts, no family to be had, no place to call home – he is just passing through when he comes to the rescue of Paige and a man who is a little too handsy. Paige’s father invites Xander into his home and offers him a job, leaving Paige and Xander to face their chemistry head on. Somehow perfect ended up tragic and Xander is sitting in a prison cell, left only with the thoughts of the girl who stole his heart.

ITN begins with a glimpse of present day Xander, locked away for a crime he didn’t commit. As we go back to the night when he first meets Paige and the Watson family, we are taken along for the journey as these two fall in love and experience everything being torn from their arms.

I have not yet read BT’s co-authored book (although it is sitting on my Kindle), so this was my first glimpse into what he’d have to offer in the romance world. I have to say, for a first book, this was a fantastic start. There were some minor bumps in the road and I think some emotional moments that were not completely used at full capacity, but... I did LOVE IT.

I found it easy to fall in love with Xander and I really liked Paige. I didn’t mind that she was a little more tomboyish – I think it actually fit her character perfectly. Overall, I enjoyed this story and I will continue on with the rest of the series without hesitation.

I struggle with finding male authors that I can first, believe are actual men. There are far too many out there that use the pen name of a man in order to create a frenzy and I really need to find some connection with an author, and trust is key to that experience. Getting a chance to read a book from a male’s perspective is something that I enjoy as a reader. I like the differences in how the scenes play out – I love that the men get a more manly tone. So finding BT in the midst of all these authors is really a great thing.
Profile Image for 1-Click Addict Support Group.
3,749 reviews441 followers
June 30, 2016
Into the Nothing is the first solo project by B.T. Urruela, and I enjoyed Xander’s story.

Unless you’ve grown up in a thriving metropolis like New York City, you can probably relate to Paige and Xander. There is nothing quite as unique as the dynamics of small-town life. Each small town has their own. Paige and her family (including the town) took care of their own until the unspeakable happened...

Into the Nothing is a story of tragedy, heartache, faith and overcoming. I didn’t find this to be a cookie cutter ‘romance’ novel but something totally different from what I normally read. Though I wasn’t able to connect to the characters in a way I had hoped, the words captivated me and kept me interested. ~ Heather, 3 stars
Profile Image for AJ.
2,835 reviews921 followers
June 24, 2016

This is the first solo novel from author B.T. Urruela. He is a co-writer of one of my favourite books - A Lover's Lament – so I have been super excited for this book, and I really enjoyed it. It’s an interesting story with dramatic themes, a mystery/suspense twist and a sweet romance.

I was immediately sucked into story as we meet Xander Evans who is currently languishing in prison after being convicted of a brutal crime that he did not commit. The story then moves back three years previously to show us the events leading up to the fateful night that changed Xander’s life.

Xander is a drifter. After growing up in the foster system, he has bounced from town to town, never really settling down, not feeling like he belongs anywhere. When he arrives in a small town in Missouri, his brave actions earn the gratitude of a local wine maker and his family, and when they offer him work and lodgings for the summer, he gratefully accepts. Xander is pretty much adopted into the Watson family, growing to care deeply for them, but it’s their daughter, Paige, who truly captures his attention.

There are sparks from the moment that Xander and Paige meet. They want each other and their attraction is clear, but it’s a slow build with a great build up of sexual tension. The story is written in dual POV so we get to see it developing from both of their perspectives and it’s sweet and realistic, and I enjoyed watching two of them together as they fell for each other.

“Do you know what you mean to me?”…
“Well, I like to think I have an idea. But tell me...tell me what I mean to you.”
“So. Fucking. Much. More than I’m comfortable even admitting. I’ve never gotten close to a woman before. I’ve dated, yes, but it’s never meant anything. Not a single fucking thing. I just never let them get close. But this…” he points to me and then at himself. “This is real. This is different. From the moment I saw you, Paige.”

But the whole time the romance is developing and Xander is starting to settle into life with the Watsons, there is an awful sense of dread building as we know what’s going to happen and we’re just waiting for it. While reading I was frantically coming up with ‘whodunnit’ theories as the story builds to its inevitable ending, and Urruela does a good job of planting threads to keep you guessing – though my predictions turned out to be right.

I enjoyed the build up, and the shift back to the present brings some surprises. Urruela holds nothing back in showing the consequences of all that has happened, and it’s not all easy reading. Things certainly didn’t go the way I was expecting, and I have to admit that it did impact on how I felt about the overall story. .

I also thought that the ending felt a bit rushed, and I would have liked that part of the story to be fleshed out a bit more. There was a lot of story rushed into the last few chapters – important parts of the story that could have been epic, but instead were glossed over, and then the story changed direction completely in what I presume is a lead up to the next book. It was certainly an interesting twist, but it left me disappointed at the brief resolution of other aspects of the story after all of that build up.

But overall, I did enjoy this book. Xander’s story is engrossing and well told, and though I had some issues with the pacing and the way parts of the story played out, it ends well with only a mild cliffy. I’m intrigued by the direction of the next book, and I’m interested in the characters and their story and will definitely be picking up the next book in the series.

3.5 stars.

An Advanced Review Copy was generously provided in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Christine (Shh Moms Reading).
1,297 reviews539 followers
June 23, 2016
I absolutely LOVED B.T's collaboration with KL Grayson in A Lover's Lament, so was ecstatic to hear that he was writing his first book.

While I enjoyed the mystery and suspense aspect of the story, some parts of this book didn't work for me.

I think the author had a solid idea, something different than the norm. Where it fell short for me was the actual execution. Characters needed more fleshing out so they wouldn't appear to be so similar, the story at times dragged for me. However, the last 20% was done really well, was really addicting that I was at the edge of my seat wanting more. I wish that I had more of that throughout the entire book.

I think that the author wrote the male POV really well and I almost wish that the entire book was written in Xander's eyes. Paige's commentary almost felt too manly for me at times.

This is the first book in a series and I am interested to see where this series will go. I think with time and more books under his belt that B.T will grow to be an amazing author.

This could be the case of it's me and not the book as I have seen this book get some great reviews from my fellow bloggers. I urge you to give it a try to see for yourself as I know I am being vague about what the story is actually about and telling you how I feel instead.

Thank you for your service B.T. - I look forward to reading more from you.
Profile Image for Micah .
182 reviews21 followers
June 20, 2016
I was psyched to see that BT was writing his own novel and even more so after I read the blurb. So when it appeared on my kindle one Saturday morning, I immediately dropped everything and dove in.

It started off really strong. We were introduced to Xander, who is in prison for murder, in the prologue. He is adamant that he is being set up and then the book takes us back a few months to set up the story. We are, then, introduced to Paige and the Watson family. The Watson's own a winery. Xander is a wanderer and traveling through town when he decides to have a drink. He meets Paige and Jack, Paige's father. They offer him some short term work and a place to stay. This, coupled with a spark between him and Paige, entices Xander to stay for a while.

Paige hasn't had it easy with an abusive ex and navigating through the emotional landscape of getting through that. Xander was in foster care and never adopted and hasn't lead an easy life. The two find kindred spirits in each other.

I really wish I could say that this book hit it out of the park. I really wish I could. I found a really lack of connection to any character except Teresa, Paige's mother. And our interaction's with her are brief. Even when I am supposed to feel bad for Xander, I often feel like he's a pile of crap. He is selfish and destructive and should be in some major therapy. The whole story Paige puts down her ex boyfriend's substance abuse problem, while it is clear that Xander has a problem with alcohol. Maybe she doesn't mind because her family runs a winery?

Along with that problem, we have the love story. If we set aside the prison/timeline problem, it feels very shallow to me. It never feels like it runs deep. And I don't feel like this story *would* end in a happy ending, at least without some serious effort on their parts...and maybe some counseling for the two of them.

I feel like this would be a better story if told from the POV of Paige. We would feel more for all characters if it were told from her point of view completely. I felt like the two POVs blended together to become one, anyway, and it felt like the same voice.

In the end, I would give this 3 stars. It felt very stale and the characters, underdeveloped. There were some problems, plot wise, that I wish were more developed. However, I really liked the overall story and felt like this was a good basis for a story.
Profile Image for Brandi.
1,151 reviews131 followers
July 7, 2016
4.5 Do you know who did it? Stars!

I know what I thought I was getting when I received this book. I thought I was getting a hot, erotic novel peppered with a story. Hahaha. BT is probably laughing at me right now and if he isn't, he missed his chance.

What did I get with this book? A story about a family wronged, a story about a man wronged, a story about a new love that never got to flourish because of some seriously fucked-up circumstances.

BT touches on many issues with this book. Serious issues. Rape, drugs, murder, child-abuse. He shows that how it can be difficult to get out of the life you were born into and even when you do, you may not really ever get out. It shows a corrupt legal system, a strained foster care system, and how sometimes love doesn't conquer your past.

This story is one of love, triumph, and becoming more than you thought possible.

So, want a bit of the story and not just my thoughts? Well, Xander is passing through Truman Valley just like he does everywhere he goes. That is, until he sees Paige. After defending Paige against a grabby-handed drunk, her father, Jack, invites him over for dinner for the following night.
One drink leads to another and before you know it, Xander is working on Jack's vineyard. Is it a bit fast? Maybe, but hey--it's fiction and Jack needs help out there. He also knows his son isn't going to help and the local boys all suck (more or less).

The attraction between Paige and Xander is obvious, but it is also muted. Xander respects Jack. Xander fights his attraction to Paige, but that doesn't mean he just sits back and let's people fuck with her. NOOOOO. He defends her time and again. With a slow build between these two, BT draws you in and keeps you wondering when it will happen for Paige and Xander.

As events progress, it's easy to see this isn't a typical romance book. Hell, I wouldn't even label it a romance book. At least not on it's own. Maybe a murder/mystery/romance? Suspense? I don't know. Does it need a label? I think not. The writing is solid, the story is good, and the characters are strong. I'd love to see more of this couple in future books.

BT has proven that he can stand on his own in the book world. This book proves that. I look forward to the next in this series because I am definitely a fan of this author. Keep putting stuff like this out there and I'll never go away.
Profile Image for K.
319 reviews5 followers
February 7, 2017
Xander Evans is a wanderer with a crappy past. When he arrives in Truman Valley, Missouri, he finds the one thing he has always wanted: a family, and one thing he never thought he would have: a woman he is falling in love with.
Just as things are finally falling into place for him, he is accused of a crime and is sent to prison, shattering everything he has started to build.
Into The Nothing is BT Urruela's debut solo novel. His characters are gritty and real, some the situations they find themselves in are terrifying and it all makes for one hell of a read. This was the first book I have read of his and I can't wait to read the rest of his work. If you haven't read anything by BT yet, then what are you waiting for? 5 stars.
Profile Image for ZETTER.
1,130 reviews18 followers
June 28, 2016
Powerful!!!

Xander Evans had a tough childhood, he made a lots of mistakes growing up but he changed his ways. When he met the beautiful, Paige Watson and her family, he found something he had been yearning for...A family, love and respect.

Paige Watson came from a middle class family, she had it all. She met Xander when he saved her, her family liked him right away. As did she but she wanted to know what made Xander tick.

As Xander and Paige grew closer, some people were out to destroy their happiness and in a way they did. Xander thought about protecting Paige instead of hinself as their lives were turned apart. Years later when all was said and done the guilty parties got what was coming their way.

INTO THE NOTHING was well written, as a BT Urruela's fan, I must admit that I would have had his back, even if I wasn't a fan. I didn't know what to expect when I opened the book, I was taking aback by how real the characters and the situations felt.

As his first solo book, BT didn't disappoint, the man is a true inspiration. Xander Evans' journey will pulled at your heartstrings, he faced lots of ups and downs but he never wavered. He got his HEA. I say give this book a chance, you guys won't regret it.
Profile Image for Jean.
799 reviews44 followers
February 5, 2017
OMG, that ending just shocked me! Wow! What a fantastic story!

This is the story of Xander and Paige. She lives with her family and adopted brother who owns a winery in a small town. Her mom and dad were terrific. Paige had an awesome relationship with her parents, not something we see often in our books. And then there was Xander..... kind of a drifter but with a destination in mind. He meets Paige and her family on his short stop into town and they hire him for a few months to work at the winery.

I'll stop right there, because this story is so much more than that. It is a love story, a story of family love and some regrets, pain, vengeance, heartbreak, redemption, and yes add a bit of a mystery in there that had you asking "who did it? (and there were many different options to guess from). I also loved getting those military stories and meeting Twitch.... hoping he's in the next book!

I'm thinking Mr Urruela has become a go-to author for me! Thanks for the great story!
Profile Image for Elaina Lucia.
19 reviews15 followers
March 23, 2017
BT Urruela's debut solo album completely blew me away!!

I had been looking forward to reading Into The Nothing for a long time. I found the blurb intriguing, I read teasers that left me craving more, I fell in love with the cover and BT Urrulea had this hashtag saying #notanormalHEA which was just taunting me. It piqued my curiosity and I wouldn't have been able to let it go even if I tried (not that I tried).

As per my usual reviews, I'm not going to summarize what the book is about. I don't believe in giving much more information than what the author intends for you to know from the blurb. What I can say is this is not a cookie-cutter romance. There are conflicts I never saw coming. And subplots just as intriguing as the main plot. There are parts that I found really emotional and others that made me laugh out loud, but the story was consistent from start to finish. And it is very suspenseful!
And BT does suspense extremely well!

Into the Nothing was also full of very dynamic characters. BT did a phenomenal job in creating individuals that I either fell in love with or hated with a passion. The two main roles, Paige and Xander, whose points of view the story is told through, are such strong, well developed and sophisticated characters that I could have sworn they were real people. I connected deeply with them both and every emotion that they felt, I felt it with them. The same rings true for each and every one of the characters written in this book. They all took me on the most twisted and curvy emotional rollercoaster ride of my life.

This book is like nothing I've ever read before. I fell in love with BT Urrulea's writing style because it has a unique edge to it. There was a grittiness that I've never felt in a book before and I welcomed the new experience. He stayed true to himself and wrote this book with intense, raw passion and it shows in the best way possible. Into the Nothing is definitely a 5 star read.
I'd give it all the stars in the sky if I could.
September 5, 2016
Oh God, let me grab a beer and join BT's two dimensional cartoon cut out characters for this one. I went into it knowing nothing about the author, when I skipped over to GR I was surprised to find out it's a "he". And apparently a good looking "he" who all the 3 and 4 and 5 star reviewers were throwing sympathy stars at because he's "hot". I swear, there is no way an intelligent, well read human being could give this anything above about a 2.5. Really ladies? The writing was repetitive to the point of being boring, the interaction between the two read like a bad high school play and the ending? Well, let's just say I didn't get there because I finally fell asleep at about 70% and never went back.

Stick to being a "pretty face" BT, please. The world doesn't need any more poorly written literary turds. My only consolation is that most of his sales were digital so at least not too many trees had to give their lives for this sleeping pill.
Profile Image for Mel.
714 reviews61 followers
July 1, 2016
3 stars!

Into the Nothing, written by B.T. Urruella, is a romantic suspense told in dual POVs that captured my attention from the first page. The prologue provides the reader with a glimpse into the present before thrusting us into the past where Xander and Paige meet.

Xander Evans is a broken soul. After his family is tragically ripped from his life, he bounced around the foster care system and never found a loving home. Wandering from state to state, he is a stranger that happens to be in the right place at the right time. Enjoying some beer at a local bar, Xander notices a girl enter the room, and when a drunk local gets grabby with her, he steps in and impresses her father. Jack Watson is thankful that Xander protected his daughter, Paige, and offers Xander a summer job at his winery. The Watson family welcome him with open arms, and though Xander is just passing through town, he can’t help but stay longer than he intended.

There is a slow buildup of tension between Xander and Paige that is realistic and believable. It's more than just attraction though, there is a connection between them that they can not deny. They fight their feelings as Xander tries to respect Jack and accept that a relationship is not in their cards since he is leaving at the end of the summer.

But what can I say? I’ve never craved someone like I do Paige, and while I know all the reasons she and I can’t hook up, it just makes the prospect of it that much more appealing.
It makes her untouchable. And I like untouchable. That’s not something a man can even help.

Eventually though they can’t deny the emotional pull each have on the other and realize what they mean to one another.

Her smile, wide as can be, is like a lighthouse through a storm. It’s clarity. It’s everything.

From the prologue you know there is a horrific death in the Watson family, and everything points toward Xander, devastating Paige and obliterating everything between them. For three years Xander is in prison serving a life sentence for the crime he says he didn't commit.

The story jumps back to the present and we learn all the twisted craziness that makes up the mystery aspect of this book. Even when the truth is revealed, can Xander and Paige ever get back to where they were before everything was ruined?

I pray I’ll hear from you again, even if it is just to wish more hell upon me. I’ll take it. I’ll take it all, because hearing from you, no matter the context, is the best thing I’ve felt in years.

Into the Nothing had an interesting storyline that held my attention from the beginning. I loved the slow burn between Xander and Paige and watching them get to know each other. I loved that they were friends first before becoming something more. Their relationship was equal parts sweet and sexy, and I loved that they were a bit awkward at times too.

My heart broke for Xander when his past came to light. He lived through a terrible tragedy that turned my stomache just thinking about what he witnessed. I loved that he was protective of Paige but he had a quick temper that was bound to get him into trouble at some point.

I liked that Paige had opinions and wasn’t afraid to voice them. I loved her relationship with her father and mother and the things they went through broke my heart. I loved that Xander and Paige were able to find a life together after all the pain they endured.

There were a few things that really bugged me about Xander and Paige though.

The story had enough mystery that left me guessing and theorizing what really happened while keeping my attention the entire time. I liked the letters and how things all came together at the end. The epilogue tied up most of the loose ends, and though I enjoyed this story, I felt mostly sad at the end. I am curious to see what the next book entails.

B.T. wowed me with A Lover’s Lament, co-written by K.L. Grayson, and though Into the Nothing isn’t my favorite 2016 read, I am looking forward to reading more from B.T. Urruella!

*ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review*

Profile Image for Kim.
1,446 reviews32 followers
June 21, 2016
I have to admit I don't read books by male authors very often and I am not really sure why that is the case. When I read the blurb for BT's Into the Nothing, it seemed like a good place to break the habit and I wasn't disappointed.

The story starts off in the present day with Xander in prison. He is very clear that he was set up so thoroughly that his only choices were to confess to a murder he didn't commit or face the death penalty.

From there, we go back in time 3 years to when Xander rolled into the small town of Truman Valley and met the Watson family. His original intention was to grab a beer and a room for the night before moving on, but saving a young woman from the drunken groping of a local ape in men's clothing has unexpected results. Paige's father Jack invites Xander to dinner as a thank you for intervening. By the end of that dinner, Xander finds himself employed for the summer at the family winery and living just yards away from the prettiest girl he has laid eyes on in a long time.

As we get to know more about Xander, Paige, her family and the residents of her town, one thing becomes clear very quickly. These characters are not picture perfect stick figures who fit neatly into a box. They are flawed, sometimes damaged, and just real in the way that you would expect to know someone like them. That being said, it doesn't mean they are always likable as that reality plays out.

Xander is a man of many secrets, and his past is a bit sketchy and blurred for most of the story. He keeps alluding to past actions that he is ashamed of that he doesn't want to share with Paige or her family. He also has some serious bottled up emotions which cause him to go off the rails at times.

Paige may be 24 years old but she comes across with a maturity level reflective of a spoiled prom queen at times. She expects to flash a smile or pout prettily and have the world fall at her feet. As her own layers are slowly peeled back, we realize she has experienced darkness but is trying to move forward. Her best friend Brandi and hang-on friend Ethan have had her back in the past with her abusive ex Cody, but Ethan is a very odd duck and quite possibly mentally unbalanced. That boy made my skin crawl!

Paige's parents were probably the 2 most likable people in the story. Her father is a hardworking everyman sort with an easygoing personality until you threaten his family. Her mom Teresa is a vivacious personality who loves her family. They adopted Caleb years ago, and he has the 16 year old angry teen routine down to a T - possibly TOO well.

Alcohol plays a complicated role in this story leading up to the event that lands Xander in jail. The Watsons own a winery and Paige admits they are a drinking family as they all get tipsy to plastered on a regular basis. Xander uses alcohol as an escape but it has caused him trouble in the past and he may be heading down that road again. Then when he makes a poor decision one night, Paige goes into a self righteous rage at him because her uncle was killed by a drunk driver. I couldn't help but think back to a few moments where she was the proverbial pot calling the kettle black as she allowed their friends acting as DD to get behind the wheel after drinking.

As I weighed the events being laid out against his claim of innocence, there was no shortage of potential candidates who could have actually set him up. Ethan, Cody and his roid boys and Caleb all had a certain vibe that couldn't be ignored as Xander rocked the boat against the status quo in town. Xander himself has a mean temper that can't be discounted too.

The last 25% of the book finds us back in present day as Xander deals with the reality of prison life. The Watson family's reality has been irrevocably shifted and they have no reason to believe they weren't totally fooled by Xander in the time he lived on their property. When he is unexpectedly contacted by one of the family members seeking answers and closure, he debates whether to disclose the setup to them. Really, who would believe him? He takes a chance and throws it out there anyway
With nothing to lose, he starts a chain of events leading to the exposure of the truth.

BT Urruela has written an engaging story with down to earth characters that kept me turning the pages and guessing at the truth from start to finish. In my case, I found the mystery of the murderer's identity more compelling than the romance at times. I struggled to get truly invested in Xander and Paige as I couldn't quite feel a deeper connection between them. The influence of BT's own armed services history was clear in Xander's friend Irish and his cell mate Twitch's experiences. Twitch - now there is a man who needs to have his story told in the future! He has a painful history of his own it seems along with plans that don't include remaining behind bars. In any case, I enjoyed Into the Nothing as I tore through the pages and I will definitely be reading whatever comes next from this author!
Profile Image for Red Cheeks Reads.
2,154 reviews359 followers
June 29, 2016
Into The Nothing, the solo debut novel from BT Urruela, is not his first foray into penning romance. He partnered with KL Grayson on the phenomenal A Lover’s Lament, one of my top favorite books of 2015. While he did encounter some production difficulties with this book, ever the professional, BT still managed to turn out a fantastic book, despite some very minor editing issues.

“…the more I let this girl in, the harder it is to keep myself from wanting her.”

This story is a romance – BT refers to it as a modern retelling of Bonnie & Clyde – but it was the suspense plot that had me at the edge of my seat, tapping my Kindle’s screen furiously to turn the pages. The romance was definitely a bit of a slow burn, and this couple really took the time to get to know each other before taking the leap. A real friendship formed between Paige and Xander first, and while their attraction was right there simmering between them, they stayed within the friend zone, taking the time to build and nurture that aspect of their relationship first. And, you know what? In the end, it was a good thing, too, because it was that solid foundation of friendship and trust that gave Paige the ability to hear Xander out, to listen to her heart and to believe in him when it mattered most.

“…getting lost in those eyes captures me. It’s a feeling my ice cold heart has never felt before.”

I was impressed with Urruela’s writing abilities in his previous work, but what he did here was on another level all together. The suspense plot – and I’m purposefully choosing my words here to avoid spoiling it – was so layered with details and multi-faceted. There were many twists and turns, a few of which I did not see coming at all. It was an interesting story, it was exciting, and I found myself examining many of the characters suspiciously. Until I actually read the words, I was not completely certain who was behind everything. I really loved this portion of the book, and if this is what he put out on his first go, I absolutely cannot wait to see where he takes us next.

“This cannot be my life.”

As with any debut author’s first release – and for all intents and purposes, this is BT Urruela’s debut novel – there are always a few issues. Nothing too serious, but little things that could have been tweaked, and I have no doubt that they will be in his next release. For me, they didn’t take away from my overall experience, but they were enough for me to notice. One of the issues I had was that so much time was spent in the beginning 2/3 of the book building Paige and Xander’s friendship, forming the relationship between the main characters, that the “whodunit” portion, or the reveal, of the story felt a little rushed. I definitely would have really liked more depth and more detail there as that part of the plot was unfolding. The last third of the book, I positively devoured, and I guess, well, I just wanted more. I would have also liked a bit more in the way of a romance between the characters. I totally got the friendship – that came through loud and clear. But the romantic relationship was such a slow burn that, given the fact that this book is billed as a romance, I think a little bit more development was needed for me was to fully connect with Paige and Xander as a couple in love.

“I need Xander and he needs me. We’re all each other has, two broken souls fused together.”

All in all, this was a fantastic debut for BT Urruela. I enjoyed Into The Nothing immensely, and I was so very impressed by his first solo outing. I’m not only excited to read the next book in this series, I’m excited about what the future holds from this author. BT Urruela’s Into The Nothing gets 4 smooches from me.

~ Danielle Palumbo
Profile Image for Susan (susayq ~).
2,077 reviews121 followers
December 20, 2016
3.5 -4 stars

This is the story of Paige and Xander (I love his name!) Xander is a drifter who ends up in Truman Valley working for the Watson family. Mrs. Watson is killed and Xander takes the blame for it even though he isn't the one who did it. Will he rot in jail for a crime he didn't commit or will he somehow find a way to prove his innocence?

I really liked how this started in the present and then flashed back to show us how he came to be living on the Watson family vineyard and falling in love with Paige Watson. Eventually, we come back to the present, three years after the murder. Naturally, things have changed for the remaining Watson family and Paige is doubly hurt because she loved Xander and has spent three years believing he is the one who killed her mother. Paige reaches out to him in prison and starts realizing the truth about him, so she goes in search of her mother's murderer. Is it who she suspects? I'm not telling you that LOL There were several possible characters who could have done it. In my mind, I went through a time thinking they all could have done it, but it was a HUGE surprise when you find out who it really was and why.

Paige was a little bit rough for me, but I am a TOTAL girly girl. I did love Xander though with his hidden depths and shows of vulnerability that made him all the more lovable.

I can't wait to get to the next book and she what is in store for Xander and meet more of his family and friends.

*Thanks to BT for sharing a copy of this with me*

Profile Image for Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~.
1,129 reviews56 followers
July 8, 2016
3.75-4 Stars!
"Into The Nothing," is the first solo novel by Author BT Urruela. This novel is listed as romance but there is a strong focus on crime, mystery and suspense. Based on the blurb you have a good idea of what this story is about, however there were some twists and turns of a darker nature that I didn't see coming.

Xander was a man with a less than stellar past in which he made many mistakes, some of which he apparently hadn't learned from. That being said, I still liked him and I was praying all the while that he would get his HEA. No one in this life is perfect; we all do stupid things. However, Xander didn't deserve everything tragic that happened to him. He was a wanderer with no roots or any hope for his life to be anything but what it was. Then he met Paige and her family.

Ok, so Paige was not my favorite character. I found her hard to like. She was forward and pushy and most of all, when it mattered, she let me down...as well as Xander.

With the exception of the first few pages, the first half of the book was a bit slow with the last 20% picking up. I was tapping my Kindle pretty quickly by that point. There were many parts of the story I liked and a couple that I struggled with. One negative aspect for me was because of the blurb and the first few pages, we knew what happened to Xander. Because of that I was too focused on waiting for that "ball" to drop, concentrating on the who, when, and where rather than the story. But that is just me! I need to know my HEA is on the horizon. "Into The Nothing" pulled some new emotions from me causing me to step out of my comfort zone. Whether that is just something particular to my tastes or not, it is not a reflection on the author's writing. I want to made that understood. The good point...is now I know what I can expect from the next book in the series; the writing style of the author. And I will read the next book, however I'll be going into it with an altered perspective. And that's a good thing.

This novel was written in both H/h POV's which is my preferred style to read. But in this case, I think I would have liked this one to be from Xander's POV only. I felt strongly that this was "his" story. All in all, I was glad I read this novel. It was a bit darker than I'm used to but I really liked it.

My Rating...3.75-4 Stars!

SPOILER ALERT REGARDING SOME TRIGGERS! ONLY CONTINUE TO READ THIS IF YOU ARE EFFECTED BY TRIGGERS!!!!......

*There are some triggers in this novel regarding drugs, fighting, attempted rape, gruesome murder and mental illness...
Profile Image for Cara.
92 reviews9 followers

#TheMakingofaModernDayBonnieandClyde

Xander has a story to tell and from the first page you will hear it loud and clear. He's part hero, part villain with a definite alpha side you will admire. He will have you laughing, crying and holding your breath. Choices were made for our protagonist that were out of his control. He has to live with those choices and find a new path moving forward. He's much more than a pretty face. He has depth and scars to heal. Meeting Paige throws him off his path in an unexpected way. Their connection is undeniable but they each have tribulations about what kind of relationship they can share.

Mr. Urruela has created a gritty storyline which opens the door for more of his raw masculine writing style. The story he's put pen to paper is a refreshing and suspenseful addition to a predominately female genre. Into the Nothing takes you on a different ride. It will make you think. There will be tears, laugh out loud moments mixed in with surprise and suspense. Each chapter gives you a new piece to the puzzle. It gets you thinking out of the expected romance box. This is reason ”102285” to love it. You will be questioning choices about life and circumstances. Same can be said for Xander, Paige and their extraordinary family of friends. Even though this can be read as a stand-alone book, secondary characters introduced have potential for their own future story lines.

Devastating as it may seem; not all families are created through blood. Some are created by necessity and others even by circumstance. Mr. Urruela has created a world where your will definitely want to stay. There’s love, loss and laughter. He has a witty sense of humor and an even stronger grasp for the out of the ordinary read.

Looking forward to hearing much more from this author and his band of real characters. This book was a challenging change of pace in a wonderful way.

Well-deserved 5 stars for originality, depth of storyline and creating a #notyournormalHEA. Keep your eye on this one. I have a feeling there’s much more ahead for us with this new solo author.

Profile Image for EscapeNBooks.
809 reviews
3.5 Stars

Into the Nothing by Author B.T. Urruela is the first standalone novel in the Broken Outlaw series. It is also this author's debut, solo novel.

Xander Evans seems to have had a life of hard times and bad luck. His life started that way and has a trajectory for the same repetitive cycle. But when he comes to Truman Valley, he is met head-on with people, opportunities, and circumstances that were not part of his plan. Paige is the buttery sweet young woman with grit, passion, drive, and a determination to own her life and make it what she wants it to be. When their paths cross, a new journey is forged for both of them, and will take them to people and places that may either enhance or hinder their futures.

Told in dual points of view, Into the Nothing was a close-to-real-life read. It began as a sweet and savoring story spiced with male testosterone and female wit. However, as the story progressed, it became more of a mystery and suspense story line, with plot twists that were completely unexpected.

Halfway through the story, I was at one with each page and my complete attention was focused on the who, what, where, when, and how of the many unknowns. The character interactions seemed to be the most substantial at this point and played on my every emotion. One of my favorite additions to the story was Twitch, as he breathed new life into what seemed an impossible situation and helped foster a new dimension to Xander's personality.

Coming to the end of the story, I was looking for a strong finish. I knew from hints that had been given by the author that this story was "not your typical HEA", so I sneakily crept toward the end, waiting for the bang that would make or break me. My mind could not have conjured the actual conclusion. I applaud the author on taking a chance with a non-traditional ending. However, there were parts that seemed rushed and made me question my endearment to the characters. It did make me continue to think about the entirety of the story though, and that in itself can be a good quality in a book. I look forward to more from this author and other characters in this series as it goes forward.
863 reviews5 followers
June 19, 2016
I was given this book to read with the promise of a honest review.

I was not sure what to expect from this book and from the author BT Urruela, specially on his first solo book.
So what to do, well obviously read the book first. Oh boy was I in for a very interesting trip, the story the characters that were created, were absolutely so real. I found it hard to put the book down, Xander Evans was so different from other characters I have read about, yet what he had gone through from childhood to adulthood would have killed a weaker man, Paige Watson her Father Jack and her Mother Teresa and Caleb her brother were like any Family that one sees or meets in real life.
This is a story of a man who thinks he is not worthy of anyone, until he meets Paige and now all bets are off. Will he prove to her that he is worthy of her, will anything stand in their way.
Several things did take me by surprise, things I did not event hink about, but they were well done.
And Xander's time in jail, was surreal, not that I have been in his shoes and never want to, the Author did manage to portray it well.
Paige's friends Brandy Ethan and so many others including the ex boyfriend Cole, were like any other you would meet throughout your life.
Ah but the turns and twist The Author managed to write about were totally engaging and I would bet could happen in real life.
So BT Urruela I must thank you for weaving a story that engaged and entertained me as I read your book. Well done Sir
Profile Image for Maïwenn  B.
309 reviews2 followers
July 5, 2016

How do I even begin with this?
Into The Nothing was not at all what I expected but turned out exceeding my expectations !
After reading A Lover's Lament I had faith in Bt's writing.

INTO THE NOTHING is not your traditional romance, all hearts and flowers. It is a real life romance, with its ups and downs. But it is also a story full of mystery, suspense, and betrayal.

I was blown away by BT's audacity and capacity in mixing two genres together. Romance and thriller. He did it quite phenomenally, as by the end of the book I was left speechless and really wondering how this could be his first "solo" book.

This story deals with some heavy subjects, subjects that will probably make some people feel uncomfortable. I was one of those. But I kept reading because eventhough it was making me anxious, the flow, the pace made it impossible to stop.

To reassure some, those subjects are not cheating or love triangle. It deals with

The ending is not your typical HEA but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm giving it 4 stars as I found the beginning a bit slow but then, I think it was necessary to settle the story.
Profile Image for Deborah.
2,424 reviews21 followers
June 22, 2016
Just WOW! The writing was incredible and I was captivated from prologue to epilogue. BT's Into the Nothing is a book with soul. It's real and it's packed with life problems that don't necessarily have easy solutions.

Xander is his own person. He has manners and respect yet battles his past and still needs to confront his future. Can his heart find peace while on his quest for closure? Will Xander ever be able to see more than nothing?

Paige. Beautiful, funny and supportive Paige. Will she find a friendship in Xander that can last a lifetime? Can her family accept her heart's find? Will she be able to move forward without the shadows of her past?

This book, this author...it's hard to explain how well written this is. You're just going to have to trust me. I'm the typical Harlequin reader that loves spoilers and the HEA. But Into the Nothing, just OUTSTANDING! It's not dark but it's not hearts and roses. It's life. It's living. It's you moving forward when you think you can't. I recommend this book 100%. I'm so moved by it that it might warrant a reread. HINT...I rarely, if ever, do rereads.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 413 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.