Start by marking “Wormwood Mire (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wormwood Mire (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #2)

Wormwood Mire

(A Stella Montgomery Intrigue #2)

When Stella Montgomery returned to the Hotel Majestic cold and wet but exhilarated by adventure, the Aunts were furious.

Now they are sending Stella away to the old family home at Wormwood Mire, where she must live with two strange cousins and their governess.

But within the overgrown grounds of the mouldering house, dark secrets slither and skulk, and soon Stella must be
Published October 24th 2016 by ABC Books - AU

To ask other readers questions about Wormwood Mire, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Wormwood Mire (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #2)
QNPoohBear
After Stella's wild adventure, she is determined to get some answers from her aunts about her past. The Aunts are furious with Stella and refuse to answer questions. Instead, they pack her off to stay with her cousins and their governess at Wormwood Mire, the Montgomery family's ancestral home. Armed with a book of moral tales about naughty children, Stella is left to face her fate alone. She discovers a mysterious village where people are afraid to go out after dark and an old, crumbling manor ...more
CLM
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this middle grade historical fantasy which reminded me of Eva Ibbotson. Here is a link to my review of books 1 and 2:

Brona's Books
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wormwood Mire is even more beautifully presented than Withering-by-Sea.

The green ink font and illustrations generously scattered throughout the book make this a visual feast as well as a glorious, mysterious and slightly magical read.

I was entranced with the new story from page one.

Chapter One reveals a rather Harry Potteresque illustration of Stella sitting in a railway carriage by herself staring forlornly out the window. She has been banished from her aunts for her 'bad behaviour' at the end
Sarah Leavesley
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
These are such lovely books. Such care has gone into designing cover, illustrations, even the font and ink colour so that the physical object of the book enhances the enjoyment of reading the story.
This time Stella has been sent away by her dreadful aunts to stay at Wormwood Mire, the run down home of the Montgomery family. There are mysterious cousins, a creepy house, strange beasts and taciturn housekeepers to contend with. And Stella is also dealing with memories that begin to resurface,
Aaron Jeffery
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I may or may not have stayed up until 11:30 at night to finish this book......
I did
And I don’t regret it

This book was really good and I think it’s safe to say that this series is one of my favourite middle grade series. Unfortunately this series is highly underrated though.

I do think the first book was slightly better but this book was still really good. It’s very hard to compare the 2 because they are so different. I’m happy we got lots of answers as well.
Beth E
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this first book better than the first one in the series. It has a more cheerful tone and a possible better future for Stella.

However, the climax of the book, to my mind, was very similar to that of the first book.
Erin
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Withering-by-Sea, but loved Wormwood Mire even better! It's a little more hopeful, the pace is wonderful (and even gripping), and I love where this story is going! The new characters introduced are engaging and interesting, and I can't wait to read what happens next in the series! :)
Imagene Wonders
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of Stella Montgomery, and how she moves to her family's house, called Wormwood Mire. She gets to meet some of her cousins, who live there. This is the second and final part of Stella's adventures. I think that both books have the same story structure, which makes me feel a little bit disappointed, because I was expecting the second book to have a different, or even similar structure. But I liked it because she finally solved the mystery that she was trying to solve in ...more
Amber
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again Judith Rossell has created a beautiful and immersive adventure.
Stella is a great character, she is brave, curious and considerate. I loved her in the first book and now in the sequel she is just as endearing. She has new companions to help her along who are also very lovable.
Not only is the story beautifully written, but the book itself is lovely with great cover art and illustrations throughout.
I would definitely recommend this book. Great for kids and adults who love mystery and
Sharni
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
What a gorgeous book! I loved finding out more about Stella's past as she looks for answers that nobody seems willing to give her - all she has to go in is a old photograph. Wormwood Mire was an amazing setting (although I did miss the Hotel Majestic a little as well as all the friends that Stella made in the first book). The illustrations are divine, the closer you look the more details you see. Looking forward to more!
Sherry Mackay
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hope there's a third book. What a great character Stella is, and how brave she is. I love the twists in the story and the surprise near the end. Lots to please everybody here. Monsters lurking; evil men ready to kill you - What more could you want? Love the beautiful green ink illustrations by the author too.
Dorine White
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stella Montgomery lives with her three aunts in the Hotel Majestic. They are raising her to be a proper young lady, not someone who wishes for and participates in adventures. When a letter arrives from their cousin Frederick in which he tells them that he is sending his own children to the family estate, Wormwood Mire, and would love for Stella to attend with her cousins, they bundle her off with a suitcase and a book, A Garden of Lilies: Improving Tales for young Minds.

Stella is thrilled to get
Lynn
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: donated
Wormwood Mire is the second part of the Stella Montgomery Intrigue. In this one Stella is sent by her aunts to an old family house to study and live with her cousins. I'm not certain why she was sent to live with them for such a short period of time, but apparently it was necessary in the world of the book for some unexplained reason, presumably beyond just the aunts' desire to rid themselves of their troublesome orphaned niece Stella.

The book is interesting and continues Stella's search for
Thebudgiewriter2019
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was about that it's not always bad to disobey the rules, especially when it is for the greater good. And that you have to be strong and brave in the eyes of danger.

I loved the mystery aspect of this book. It's so creepy with it's ghosts and monsters and things like that! I love the fact that the main character must uncover her family's legacy and find out what happened to her long-lost mum and sister. The mystery was definitely what kept me reading.
The setting was very well-built and
Lisa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
11-year-old Stella has left Withering-by-Sea to meet her young cousins at Wormwood Mire, to be educated along with them by their governess. But Wormwood Mire is an odd place - Wilburforce Montgomery - their great great grandfather built it to house his exotic collection of plants and animals. Now it’s very run down and mysterious. With only a governess, gardener and a cook, the children have a lot of time to explore. Stella is still wondering about who she is, and the photograph she found (in ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Review cross-posted from reviewer’s personal Goodreads account

Rossell, Judith Wormwood Mire, 281 pgs. Atheneum Books for Young Readers (Simon & Schuster) 2016. $16.99. Language: G (0 swears, 0”f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG. (Peril)

11-year-old Stella has left Withering-by-Sea to meet her young cousins at Wormwood Mire, to be educated along with them by their governess. But Wormwood Mire is an odd place - Wilburforce Nice and spooky - this 19th century story (set in Australia) has all
Hazel Edwards
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hadn't read the first book but love Jude Rossell's writing. This is an atmospheric book with lots of old style adventurous details for readers ten plus up to adult. A bit slow starting but I advise younger readers to keep going. It gains momentum and the twists toward the end are involving. Lots of scientific and quirky historical details included. Great to have an inventive boy cousin like Strideforth tackling plumbing and heating systems. Can imagine a film with these absurdly named ...more
Emma
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Stella is sent to her childhood home to be educated alongside her cousins, Hortense and Strideforth, she is apprehensive about what might await her. And there is much to be found in the crumbling mansion - secret rooms, haunting music boxes, a lurking creature in the pond, plus a menagerie of unpredictable animals and a governess with a passion for botany. The change of location makes this sequel fresh and engaging and I enjoyed finding out more about Stella's mysterious past. Rossell is a ...more
Susan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Orphaned Stella Montgomery is sent away by her nasty aunts, who have been raising her, to the ancestral estate of Wormwood Mire, now that her cousin's children are in residence with a governess, and she can share their lessons. She fears the worst--all the relatives she's met so far are not nice. But although the estate is decrepit, cold, and rainy, her new cousins Strideforth and Hortense are welcoming (well, Hortense only speaks to animals), and the governess thinks curiosity is a good thing, ...more
Phoebe
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The misadventures, or rather the miseries, of Stella Montgomery continue in book 2 of this fun and intelligent Australian series—we rejoin our heroine on a train traveling away from the Aunts to live with two cousins, Strideforth and Hortense, newly back from abroad. Naturally she is worried, but she is also curious to discover the secrets of her past. Amiable chaos awaits her as well as chilling adventure. Delightfully spooky and brimming with intriguing detail and plotting. Hope there will be ...more
Ariel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg, horror
This sequel to Withering by Sea has a Gothic flavor. Stella, the orphan with unusual powers from the first book, comes to live in a dark disused mansion with her unknown cousins, who turn out to be nice. The house is the site of the only photo she has of her mother, herself and a twin sister who vanished long ago. There is a monster rumored to inhabit the lake. The villain in this book is a traveling dentist with a sinister pair of pliers and his own sideshow. I didn't like it quite as much as ...more
Todayiamadaisy
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Withering-by-Sea enough to look up this second instalment in the series, and that was a good choice. In this one, eleven-year-old Stella is sent to live with her foreign cousins and their governess in their family's old home, Wormwood Mire, and the three children have an adventure involving an evil travelling dentist and a monster that turns things to stone. It's gently exciting and a step up from the first book.
Leah
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this more than the previous book and am looking forward to reading the next book in this series. The magic and creatures were interesting. I even liked the ghost story. Also, I liked the characters. The MC was just as likeable in this book, and I liked her cousins, too. The old house mentioned in the first book was also interesting, more than I thought it would be. Also, it was nice to get some answers in this book, and enough was left open to make the next book intriguing.
Monique
This sequel novel to "Withering-by-Sea" was just as excellent as the first book. Highly recommend this title for middle grade readers who want something different. The continuing story of what happened to Stella's mother and who is the mysterious baby in the only photo that she has of her mom will keep the reader intrigued.
Camilla
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and this series. There is some scary parts but that makes it exciting. Great children’s books. I wrote the author about the 3 one and she said it might not come out in the US, I’m crossing my fingers amazon will carry it when it comes out in November.
Also, loved the green ink and illustrations are wonderful.
Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I think there will be a number three. Her characters are spunky, engaging, mysterious and the settings are wonderfully Victorian. Not much logic here and the muse of fantasy does not always wear sensible shoes as she ought to, but this reader is forgiving as the frightening scenes are well paced and well written.
Fiona
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Although lots of interesting people and things happen in this busy mystery it still feels so isolated and lonely. Sadly cold. I’m not sure how a younger reader might feel but it leaves me feeling sad for Stella.
Beka
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was good though I struggled a little to get into it. I think if the story went on too much longer, it would be tedious. But since there's just one more book, I am interested to see how it ends.
Jaybella
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book ( Wormwood Mire) is so good especially reading the first book of this series "Withering by sea." I love all the action and drama which isn't to scary. And I love the sad twist to the end these series are the best books I've ever read!!!!!
Anouk Yu
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-fiction
Awesome! ...more

• The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • Under Suspicion (Friday Barnes #2)
  • The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars (Kingdoms & Empires, #2)
  • Danger Ahead (Friday Barnes #6)
  • Catch Your Death (Ruby Redfort, #3)
  • Big Trouble (Friday Barnes #3)
  • The Plot Thickens (Friday Barnes #5)
  • No Rules (Friday Barnes #4)
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
  • Feel the Fear (Ruby Redfort #4)
  • Never Fear (Friday Barnes #8)
  • Even More Terrible Tudors
  • Take Your Last Breath (Ruby Redfort #2)
  • My Australian Story: Black Sunday
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • Bluecrowne (Greenglass House, #3)
  • Missing
  • Hating Alison Ashley

A Stella Montgomery Intrigue (3 books)
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Wakestone Hall (Stella Montgomery, Book 3)