Start by marking “Swords v. Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
Swords v. Cthulhu

Swords v. Cthulhu

What hope has a humble adventurer when faced with a fight against Cthulhu himself? No matter; the true swordsperson cares only for the bite of steel against flesh, whether that flesh be eldritch or more conventional. From the hottest voices in Lovecraftiana comes a collection that will take readers on a journey from ancient Rome to feudal Japan and from Dreamlands to lands ...more
Published August 1st 2016 by Stone Skin Press (first published July 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Swords v. Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords v. Cthulhu

Adam
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a fool and didn’t immediately realize this was very much my shit. The title is a bit twee, lacking the immediately evocative potency of a Children of Old Leech or Wide Carnivorous Sky. I picked it up on a whim, mostly on the strength of Jesse and Molly’s names (and I didn’t realize they didn’t have entries of their own). The fact that it was explicitly tied to Lovecraft put me off more than anything; I’ve never understood why people ever started treating his stuff as an IP instead of a gen ...more
Matthew
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful anthology filled to the brim with guts, glory, and gore. Oh did I mention the nameless terrors as well?

Full review to come.
Eduardo Peret
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This anthology unites the best of two worlds: the Cthulhu Mythos and the fascinating world of swashbucklers, mercenaries, samurais, knights and explorers. For all who thought "Lovecraftian horror has nothing to do with sword-fighting, honor, glory, shining armor and intrepid exploration", I say: think again.

The tales told here give readers a fresh perspective on the Mythos through different ages, civilizations and worlds - and they do not lack anything as far as the Lovecraftian mood is concerne
Wendy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great compilation of stories, lots of different situations and locales (Vikings, samurai, nuns, Pirates, gladiators, consecrated virgins, etc), female characters and a dearth of happy endings.
Jeremy Large
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Like any collection of short stories, this one is a mixed bag. This one more mixed than most. Many of the stories seem to be repeating the same formula, with only a coat of paint to change the setting. The best ones were the ones that did not fall into that formula!

"The Lady of Shallot" by Carrie Vaughn was a nice twist on an old Arthurian classic. The twist is telegraphed pretty early on, but that just means the tension is trying to figure out when the bomb is going to go off.

"Trespassers" by
Joel Hacker
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title of this anthology is a little misleading, implying a sense of kitsch and lack of seriousness; this could not be further from the truth. The introduction discusses the fact that this falls more within the Conan-sequence sword and sorcery camp of fantasy, rather than high fantasy. I would say these stories go a step further than that. While I agree that sword and sorcery frequently incorporates Lovecraftian mythology elements, and are certainly dark and action packed, these particular st ...more
S.M.M. Lindström
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, fantasy, horror
A collection of varied short stories that pit their main characters against all manner of lovecraftian horrors, in many different ways. As a whole, these stories bring a delightful mixture of horror, action/adventure, mystery and even some humor to the sub-genre that is eldritch horror.

There was no story here that I outright disliked, though I have some I liked better than others, which is only human. I liked St. Baboloki's Hymn for Lost Girls for its dream-mood and folklore like tone. I liked
Jordan Valentine
Bryan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is so much here. I'm a sucker for Cthulhu Mythos related stories, and doubly so for swords and sorcery (big fan of Fritz Leiber, Robert E. Howard, etc.) so I enjoyed this anthology, which is a great marriage of both. The stories range from good to great. My favorites managed to couple the weird, grim ambiance of a Lovecraft tale with the self-interested cutthroat adventurer archetype. Some sexual content, so this anthology isn't for the younger set. Very enjoyable.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Jenna
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book from one of the editors in exchange for a review. This is an excerpt from my post on my own blog (jenna-bird.blogspot.com) about this book.
===
Most remarkable about this collection overall was the zest and gusto that I felt from many of the stories. I had a strong sense that this was reflective both of the authors and the editors in charge of the project.

Hands down, my favorite of the lot was Orrin Grey's "A Circle That Ever Returneth In" which draws the reade
Aksel Dadswell
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read my complete review here: https://larvalforms.wordpress.com/201...

This is the kind of collection that makes you lie to yourself as you promise to read just one more story, just one more before you surrender to a nightmare-riddled sleep, but you’re not to be trusted and so the promises keep falling and breaking until dawn bullies the night away and reveals you, eyes dry and heart stammering and this beautiful big volume of short story-shaped terrors clutched in your trembling hands.

But gratu
Dec 05, 2016
Dan
May 28, 2017
Remy
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Alex Smith
Feb 18, 2017
Author. Dream Weaver. Visionary. Plus Actor. So long as you're cool with discovering just how dull I really am, I welcome adds here, on FB, LJ etc.

My novels The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart and The Enterprise of Death are available in a variety of languages. I have it on admittedly shaky authority that they are charming. My third novel, The Folly of the World, will be released in December of