Start by marking “Nightmare Magazine 49: October 2016. People of Colo(u)r Destroy Horror! Special Issue” as Want to Read:

(Nightmare magazine #49)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
NIGHTMARE was founded on the core idea that all horror is real horror. The whole point of this magazine is that horror fiction is vast. It is inclusive. Horror is about all people and for all people.

The People of Colo(u)r Destroy Horror! special issue exists to relieve a brokenness in the genre that’s been enabled time and time again by favoring certain voices and portray
Published October 1st 2016 by John Joseph Adams

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare Magazine 49, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare Magazine 49

Jamesboggie
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I found this special issue of Nightmare magazine as a bound anthology. It includes original fiction, reprint fiction, art, and nonfiction. The purpose of the anthology is challenging exclusionary conceptions of horror. Like all anthologies, the quality of the entries varies. Still, I enjoyed this work. I feel it successfully expanded my understanding of horror.

Original Short Fiction
“Wish You Were Here” – Nadia Bulkin
"Wish You Were Here" is a slow story about the horror of guilt. It follows an Am
A.E.
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is unsurprisingly one of the best issues of Nightmare Magazine--I loved several of the short stories in both the original and reprints section, and the interviews included were also very interesting to read.
Maggie Gordon
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A short horror tale about a murderous sister that jumps perspectives and ends with a chilling musical scene. Perhaps closer to a 2.5. Even though it was a short story, I would have liked to hear more of the sister's motives in killing her kin.

Merged review:

A Diet of Worms is a frightening tale of a young man working his shift at a movie theater who gets stuck in a time fluctuation and lives out most of his life over the course of that shift. Why? Who knows! But the story of his aging and his su
Cora Snow
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
4/5.

Positive: My favourite story was The Taming of the Tongue, I honestly want a whole YA book about Cat and the zwelgen. Other favourites included Wish You Were Here, A Diet of Worms, The Show, Wet Pain, and my second favourite of the issue was Monstro. There were 10k words of it but I needed more! All of the stories in this issue were excellently written, all of the characters were unique and enjoyable.

Negative: There were one or two stories I didn't enjoy.
PerishTheThought
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not usually a horror fan, but this was part of the Kickstarter I backed. Really enjoyed the Victor LaValle interview and Alyssa Wong's essay. Nadia Bulkin's Wish You Were Here stayed with me a long time after I read it. I think you call that haunting. :) Diaz's Monstro was another fav. Will definitely seek out more from the authors I didn't know.
Elizabeth
rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2017
Oct 12, 2016
Abbey
Dec 19, 2016
Dean Simons
Interesting stories. First time I had read Nightmare.

Highlights:

A Diet of Worms - in my opinion probably the best of the bunch this issue. Juicy horror.

"Wet Pain" and "Monstro" are both strong contenders - the characterisation and world building sets these apart. Definitely worth a read.

Lowlights:

"The Show". It felt a touch too generic for my tastes.

"Horror is..." article a frustrating read. Felt more like a rant than an article. Could have achieved more if fleshed out.
Bridget Mckinney
Menoma_minx
Feb 23, 2018
Alan
Nov 05, 2016
Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination. Silvia Moreno-Garcia's debut novel, Signal to Noise, about music, magic and Mexico City, won a Copper Cylinder Award and was nominated for the British Fantasy, Locus, Aurora and Sunburst awards. Her second novel, Certain Dark Things, is a noir with Mexicans vampires. She co-edited the anthology She Walks in Shadows (winner of the World Fantasy Award) and ...more

Nightmare magazine (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Nightmare Magazine 1: October 2012