Start by marking “Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue #73)” as Want to Read:

Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine #73)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
LIGHTSPEED was founded on the core idea that all science fiction is real science fiction. The whole point of this magazine is that science fiction is vast. It is inclusive. Science fiction is about people and for people—all kinds of people, no matter where they’re from or what they look like.

The People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! special issue exists to relieve a
Published June 1st 2016 by John Joseph Adams

To ask other readers questions about Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016

Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

I'm consciously challenging myself to read more diversely, and I have been much more successful with this goal in short fiction than in novels, probably because of A) volume and B) economics. It's very hard to get hold of a variety of diverse SFF novels here in the U.S. Midwest. But a few magazines are doing great work - Lightspeed, Clarkesworld, Uncanny, Strange Horizons - that bring me a few diverse stories every month.

I'm so lily-white it hurts. I've already had the lifelong privilege of seei

Amber
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an amazing collection this is! Isha Karki's "Firebird" was my favorite of these stories and it is her first published piece, which I found shocking--her exploration of social castes, scientific research in the name of academia, and an individual's often juxtaposed desires to be accepted and be oneself are seamless and emotional without being too forthright. Karin Lowachee's "A Good Home" is simple, beautiful, and compelling as it explores the sentience of androids used as replacement soldie ...more
Althea Ann
**** A Good Home - Karin Lowachee
Sensitive and relevant story about a disabled vet who agrees to take in another disabled, traumatized vet for home care. It's part of a new program to try to relieve severe overcrowding at the VA. After all, who's more suited to understanding the traumas and challenges than another vet? The catch here is that the vet needing care is actually an android. However, that doesn't really make a difference to the story, in that it still captures the very real issues wit
Chris
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually do magazine reviews but I enjoyed this edition so much I wanted to highlight it. A great collection of original fiction and essays from some writers I already love and some I am discovering.
Surprisingly to me (and Contrary to my usual bookish instincts) many of my favourites were those that only touched on the science fictional and were really just amazing character pieces.
So I am once again looking forward to the next destroy series, for everyone else, pick this up. Great value
Chasia Lloyd
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding collection of works by people of color and Native/Indigenous peoples centering original sci-fi works and personal ties to sci-fi. This issue has it all - new fiction, reprints of classics (including Octavia E. Butler!), interviews, personal and academic essays, gorgeous artwork, and book reviews. There is something for everyone here.

Highlights for me among the new fiction included:
- Nick T. Chan's "Salto Mortal"
- Brian K. Hudson's "Digital Medicine"
- Terence Taylor's "Wils
Tiamatty
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was fantastic. It's an anthology of sci-fi stories, all made people people of colour. A variety of people from around the world, bringing their experiences and perspectives to the genre. And a lot of them are truly fascinating. All the stories are, at the very least, enjoyable. But most are excellent, interesting and insightful and poignant. Some are simple, some have very complex ideas. One (which is a reprint) will make your head hurt trying to wrap your mind around it - time travel is al ...more
Michael
This is an awesome collection of stories and essays; it’s another fantastic achievement by Lightspeed. I’m giving this collection 5 stars because of the strength of the collection, the poignancy and relevance of the essays, and the great production values. Not all stories were 5 stars for me, but quite a few were. My individual ratings are below for those who are interested.

Intros - 3 stars Kind of a weak beginning I thought, but maybe I was just eager to get to the stories this time. The essays
Sara
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best of the Destroy series that I've read so far.

Notes on favorite stories, authors to check out, etc.

Original Short Fiction

"A Good Home" by Karin Lowachee

"Salto Mortal" by Nick T. Chan

"Digital Medicine" by Brian K. Hudson

Already reading Terence Taylor

"Fifty Shades of Grays" by Stephen Barnes

"Omoshango" by Dayo Ntwari

"Firebird by IshaIsha Karki

"As Long As It Takes To Make The World" by Gabriela Santiago (https://twitter.com/lifeonearth89) (http://writing-relatedactivities.tumb...)

Or
Amber
I received my copies of this book as a result of backing the Kickstarter project.

Lightspeed delivers an amazing anthology from a great selection of diverse authors from a wide array of backgrounds and experiences.

Each story was a wonderful delight to read each and every story and then to read the author interviews to learn more about them. The nonfiction articles and book reviews were an excellent addition as were the book reprints. All of the essays were incredibly touching looks at the author
Nicole Lisa
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So so good. Fresh, creative, not the same-old same-old that after a few decades of reading SFF gets so boring--of course a lot of that is that these voices have been kept out of SFF and really just screw the gatekeepers who think readers don't want stories by diverse voices.

Some of my favorites:
A Good Home, Karen Lowachee
Salto Mortal, Nick T Chan
Firebird, Isha Karki
The Peacemaker, TS Bazelli
A Handful of Dal, Naru Dames Sundar -- This one made me cry and sigh with envy that I hadn't thought of wr
Shane
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very, very high four stars. As with every short story collection, some good, some not for me (not bad, just not grabbed me as hard), together with a few short interviews with featured authors as well as a goodly collection of personal essays - written by not only a selection of the authors, but also many other POC voices within the SF/F community.

My first foray into the Destroy series, and far from my last.
Matthew McVickar
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kickstartered
I loved this collection. A lot of really strong, interesting work and thoughtful essays. I've now got a huge list of new authors (and things referenced in their essays and bios) to track down and enjoy.

(I donated to the Kickstarter for this.)
Dymphna
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic stories, brilliant essays, this issue has it all.

Thank you Lightspeed, my reading list will now be more diverse than before.
Marie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tight, delicious, dense package of delights. And it's big. I thought "special magazine issue" and the price wasn't bad. I got this BIG FAT ANTHOLOGY WITH COLOR ART GALLERY... and I thought "DANG THAT WAS A DEAL!"
And the content is exquisite. I stopped after the first four stories and thought, "Wait, doesn't every anthology have at least one dud story?" Well, there was one that didn't quite work for me, but it was just one in a cornucopia of the best dang stuff. Gabriela Santiago's "As
Mel Staten
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, owned-books
I really loved this anthology. I tend to have trouble with groups of short stories--there will always be something that leaves a bad taste, or just isn't very good. Not so with People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction. Though I definitely had preferences among the stories, there were no duds, here. I often have trouble with Science Fiction because it's so bleak, as if needing to paint a dire portrait of humanity. In this compilation, there's a lot of hope.

I did live ratings as I read the stor
Patrick Hurley
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good stuff in here, some not-as-good stuff. Honestly? I would have been happy with an issue that was half this size. Far too many of the stories I found myself skimming. I did enjoy the collection of classics, especially Octavia Butler and Sam Delaney. The flash was great--Caroline Yoachim's story about milkshakes was lovely, as were many of the others. Lightspeed is very uneven for me, which eventually led me to cancel my subscription. Still, for those who are looking to have the most "ban ...more
Guerric Haché
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great anthology by Lightspeed Magazine! I first read Women Destroy Science Fiction! a while ago and was very impressed, so I put this on my wishlist and got it for Christmas.

I quite enjoyed the whole collection, though since this anthology includes 26 separate pieces of fiction, I figure it would be tedious or superficial to review all of them. Instead, I'll highlight a few of my favourites; as for the rest, I can say confidently that none of the stories were bad, and they're all worth r
D. Palmer
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
An inspiring, beautiful, and expansive volume that delivers in all the best ways and will have you coming back.
Marc
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this and I'm glad I backed it. It was great to read stories from my fellow People of Color. I love anthologies though and I'm glad that the only theme was that it was sci-fi written by PoC. Because of that, the stories varied greatly in what they were about.

Unfortunately, the book started to sag after the first few stories, for me anyway. And I thought one or two went on way too long. I thought it picked up again in the essay portion. I've never been a fan of essays but this might have
Marco
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Lightspeed destroy is an annual initiative focusing on the writings of traditionally underrepresented minorities. The People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction special issue exists to relieve a brokenness in the genre that's been enabled time and time again by favoring certain voices and portrayals of particular characters. It brings forth a very diverse set of talented authors, some very well-established, and other very newm from around the globe to present science fiction that explores the nu ...more
Cora Snow
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
4/5.

Positive: My favourite story was Firebird, of which I am dying for more, even if I'll never get it. Other favourites were The Red Thread (which was so interesting), Wilson's Singularity (which made my heart hurt), Fifty Shades of Grays (which made me laugh), As Long as It Takes to Make the World (which was beautifully written), and Delhi (which made me cry).

Negative: This anthology was really great, with only two or three stories that I didn't enjoy. The ones I didn't like were because they
Oliver
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sehr dicke Ausgabe. Highlight: The Red Thread von Sofia Samatar, eine indirekt erzählte Dystopie.
Jetamors
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything in this! I think my favorite stories were "As Long As It Takes To Make The World" by Gabriela Santiago and "A Handful of Dal" by Naru Dames Sundar.
Joanna
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
There was lots that was great here, and some other stuff that was perhaps not for me. But I'm glad I was able to contribute to the Kickstarter and help this happen.
Noemi
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Shannon
I listened to all of the free podcasts at Lightspeed's website. This was so good that I'm buying the issue to read the rest.
Brian
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great representation of some of the most interesting work being done in contemporary SF.
Amy
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of by non-white authors, providing a different perspective on the science fiction genre. Looking forward to reading the companion volume which collects sci-fi stories by LGBT authors.
nikki
Oct 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
"the h word: the darkest, truest mirrors" by alyssa wong - 5 stars

i need to get my hands on more of alyssa wong's writing because so far i have absolutely loved what i've read.
Ruth Ann
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Fantastic collection of stories! I’m thrilled to find this source of authors to look for, and enjoyed all the fiction thoroughly, but in particular I want to mention Misha Nogha’s essay on the indigenous roots of science fiction and Zainab Amadahy’s essay “Music Medicine” (about biofields). Both were really thought provoking to me.
Montanasmith
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Read the short story "How to Get Back to the Forest" by Sopia Samatar
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nalo Hopkinson is a Jamaican-born writer and editor who lives in Canada. Her science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories often draw on Caribbean history and language, and its traditions of oral and written storytelling.

More about Nalo Hopkinson

Lightspeed Magazine (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2010
  • Lightspeed Magazine, January 2011
  • Lightspeed Magazine, February 2011
  • Lightspeed Magazine, March 2011

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Chief Gray of the Osage Nation said, “Today, our neighbors are beginning to understand that when tribes are strong, everyone benefits. A rising tide lifts all boats. This has been done, not on the white man’s terms, but on our own. It’s not revenge, it’s rebirth, and as our elders say, it is good.” This” 1 likes
“How can ya think ’bout economics feelin’ like . . . this?” “Not many people can,” Ron said. “That’s the Lll’s protection.” 0 likes