Start by marking “Die Geschichte der Baltimores” as Want to Read:
Die Geschichte der Baltimores

Die Geschichte der Baltimores

(Marcus Goldman #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  15,430 ratings  ·  1,553 reviews
Bis zum Tag der Katastrophe gab es zwei Goldman-Familien. Die Baltimore-Goldmans und die Montclair-Goldmans. Die »Montclairs« sind eine typische Mittelstandsfamilie, kleines Haus im unschicken New Jersey, staatliche Schule für Marcus, den einzigen Sohn. Ganz anders die Goldmans aus Baltimore: Man ist wohlhabend und erfolgreich, der Sohn Hillel hochbegabt, der Adoptivsohn W ...more
Published May 2nd 2016 by Piper ebooks (first published September 30th 2015)

·  15,430 ratings  ·  1,553 reviews

Start your review of Die Geschichte der Baltimores
Annet
Great book! I like this writer (although others seem to have reservations, re. the first book The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair, but I loved that one too). This book takes the reader through a tragic family chronicle... The Baltimore Boys. The Goldman Gang. It kept me intrigued from start to finish. Only remark I would make (think I made this one for the first book too), the text could have been edited in my opinion to make the book a bit more to the point and lean. Other than that, that' ...more
Sarah Dorothea
5 out of 5 stars! ⭐ OUR APRIL 2018 BOOK CLUB READ: Joël Dicker did it again. No one writes as he does... I cried silent tears at the end of the book. I am so shocked in all the good ways though! What an epic book about a family tragedy and how well thought through the entire story was! A true piece of literary art.

So here is what the family tragedy is about: Fresh from the staggering success of THE TRUTH ABOUT THE HARRY QUEBERT AFFAIR, Marcus Goldman is struggling to write his third novel. A
Alex
When you read a translated novel, you often worry if something has been lost in translation. Joël Dicker’s The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair had a ridiculous story, but also completely strangled prose and dialogue that no human would ever speak. The Baltimore Boys boasts a different translator, but has exactly the same problems as its predecessor. Translator Alison Anderson has also translated the works of Muriel Barbery, and those have read like … books. With sentences and dialogue and everything.

Th
Susan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved, “The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair,” and I was delighted to read the sequel. Author Marcus Goldman is about to start writing his new book and has relocated to Boca Raton, Florida. Florida reminds him of his Uncle Saul, who lived there when he was older, and a chance meeting with his ex-lover, Alexandra, brings back memories of his youth and his cousins, ‘the Baltimore Goldmans.’ While his new neighbour, the elderly Leonard Horowitz, berates him for not getting down to work, Marcu ...more
Roman Clodia
'In books, people who are no longer with us can meet again, and embrace'

This is a long (over-long, really) book about family, brotherhood, love, lies, loyalty, rivalry and secrets: as seems to have become irritatingly de rigeur we have a fragmented narrative where Marcus skips between 'now' and various moments in the past. We know from the first page that his cousin Woody is going to prison and that a tragedy follows but the events are withheld until the end (the narrator speaking on
Carmen
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still under the spell of the Goldman cousins, so it is going to be hard to rate this book. I don't know if it is great or just average, I'm not sure if I have fallen in all the writer's traps or if I was able to see them in advance. I guess it is like chocolate, you know it is not the healthiest thing you can eat but you try a little and its so bittersweet, so milky that without realising you have eaten a whole bar.
I enjoyed "The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair" -it was such a pa
i.
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book by the French author and the second I've read. I was a bit reluctant to read it since I hadn't liked The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair so much, despite its international success, because of the way the plot unfolded. However , I really enjoyed his writing style.

In The Baltimore Boys his writing is even more appealing and although the plot is intriguing I think I would have read the books even if it had been about the most boring characters and ideas ever
Anna Karen
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terribly bad, trust me. I had to "read" it (more like I skipped over) until the end to find out what the often repeated tragedy would be. Its full of repetitions. The way this author makes almost all his female characters vile or cringe-worthy should be addressed by his readers. I cant believe the reviews and adoration his two books get, they absolutely do not deserve it. I read this book for the popsugar reading challenge, as a book recommended by a librarian. I dont think my towns ...more
Rita Costa (Lusitania Geek)
I love this books, shame it didn't come up first this one, as the time that occurred was way before Marcus entered in the "picture" of Harry Quebert Case. which by the way I loved it that novel too. I like the background life of Marcus Goldman, the famous writer who was struggling to create a new novel, after find that his teacher/academic mentor had been murder, he tries to investigate which will end up as a novel.

This book tells about his love life, the Goldman gang during his childhood-adole
 Sophia B
A good book about the perception we have of others and all the hidden fissures, wounds and conflicts we don’t see.
I didn’t like the last part of the book. The unbelievable part. But then again - almost everything is possible. But thw novel didn’t gain from it.
If he had focused more on the story and less on being a bestseller it could have been even better.
A great summer-read nonetheless.
Campbell
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm giving this four stars as a reflection of how much I enjoyed it. Objectively speaking it probably wasn't much above mediocre, but then again I'm no arbiter of quality; I likes what I likes.
Hermien
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It reminded me of John Irving at his best.
Tanja Berg
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga
Read in Norwegian. Marcus Goldman is back and this time he is ready to tell the story of his cousin's family in Baltimore. The golden, rich side of the family. Succesful lawyer uncle Saul, talented doctor wife Anita, their intelligent son Hillel and their sort-of foster son Woody. It ended badly for the lot of them and little by little the story is pieced together through different timelines. There is a lot of hinting at "the tragedy" that eventuallly becomes really annoying. When all is reveale ...more
Philippe Malzieu
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Markus life continuation.
Family, cousins, grandparents, friendship, love, jealousy, teenagers pact, the passage to adulthood, love, death...(ce n'est pas tout)
It is less magic than the first one but the charm always operates.
Mauricio Ormeño
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel lives completely on the shadow of “The truth of the Harry Quebert affair”. Plain storyline where the only action is found on the last 50 pages.
Hastings75
Picked this book up from my favourite book shop, Time Out in Mount Eden, and had high hopes.

It was a good, but not amazing, read. The story of three boys - and a girl - as they grow up and deal with the trials and tribulations of youth and adolescence.

All in all, a book I am pleased I have read.

Bridget
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Joel Dicker's first book and I was excited to hear about this new one. I was a way into it before I realised that this book is a continuation of the story of the main character of the previous one. It feels very different though, but he does keep with the structure of looking back on a series of events. It is interesting structure, you feel very much like you are being told a story from memory.

Marcus our main character is working on a book in Florida, he ends up encountering an
Renita D'Silva
Wonderful and convoluted. Another great story from this fabulous author.
Maryna Semenyuk
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Dicker is definitely a great author and his style captivates and intrigues a reader during the whole book.
This book is a wonderful journey thought the lives of three generations of Goldman family and is full of love and hatred, friendship and betrayal, happiness and tragedy. I loved the book and almost cried at the end.
Nikola
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-tysm, may
You can find this review on my book blog.

After a month of being completely cut-off from reading and blogging The Baltimore Boys was the perfect first book to start my summer filled with amazing to-be-read books. I have been reading it for a while but in the last 2 days I have completely devoured every word of it.

As I’ve given the synopsis above I won’t be revealing much about this book. To people who have read The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair the character of Marcus Goldman will
Sarika
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, romance
I really enjoyed Harry Quebert. Baltimore, however, is a horse of a different colour. I had a hard time believing it was written by same guy.

The way I read books is I picture a building in my mind to match the book. The construction of the story, the depth of characters, the twists and quirks (not necessary but sometimes nice) become a house of my own imagination. Sometimes I can see the house very vividly, sometimes it's more of an impression, like a building seen through a fog or rain. Baltim
Marc
Feb 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rating it 1 to counterbalance the 4.08/5 that – in my honest opinion – this book doesn't deserve. The story has some interesting swings and it's a really easy read. I found the part that revolves around the "drama" near the end of the book to be a bit more interesting than the otherwise quite banal story.

Now, as far as I'm concerned that's about it for the good points. I read it in French as it's my mother tongue. The author has no style. The prose is quite flat and descriptive.
Sarah 🐍
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Dicker has become one of my favourite author. I fell completely in love with La Vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert, and Le Livre des Baltimore convinced me of Dicker's genius. The style is the same one I fell for in the first book, but here the tone is totally different and it was still perfect. You have all those pieces of family history and different timeline that mingle, like stars. You have to take a step back to see the whole constellation (pretty cool analogy amiright?), but that does ...more
Vix Standen
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
I'm hesitant to compare anything to 'A Little Life', a book I loved with all my heart, but 'The Baltimore Boys' definitely evoked similar feelings. I finished it on my lunch break this afternoon, and had a little cry into my sandwich. I didn't want to say goodbye to these characters. I'm tempted to re-read the whole thing again, just so I can have a little more time with them.
Sally Boocock
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well deserved 5 stars. I totally loved it and all the characters especially Woody and Scott. They stole my heart. Equally as good if not better than Harry Quebert. Reminiscent in places of John Irving's style of writing. Kept me reading all night.
Craig Maxwell
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it's official Joël Dicker is one of my favourite authors. I love his style of writing, it's simple, honest and engrossing.

The book is just beautiful, that's all I'm going to say, one of my favourite reads this year.
Andre
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe this book. I just finished it and I can't find my words..
This book..reminds me why he is one of my favorite authors.
Mandy Radley
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this one as much as The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair. Hard to review but again we meet Marcus Goldman, I do like his character, and he's relating the story of his family when he was just a boy visiting his cousins and aunt and uncle, the Baltimore Goldmans. This is a book not to be rushed, sit back relax, enjoy the story telling and go with the flow. I hope there'll be another one.
Philippa
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
Laura Spira
I sat reading this book to the end because it was too hot to do anything else but I didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessor "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair".

It's basically the story of three boys growing up, embellished with a couple of plot twists and some shifting time frames to keep the reader interested. The same conceit of the writer character writing the book you are reading is used as in the previous book.

But the characters of the three boys - Marcus, the writer, Hillel, th
Comunidad BBB Uru...: LC: El libro de los Baltimore 2 18 Aug 01, 2018 08:26AM
221 b Baker street: Lectura de Agosto 2017 8 28 Aug 29, 2017 06:59AM

• El día que se perdió la cordura
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (Book Analysis): Detailed Summary, Analysis and Reading Guide (BrightSummaries.com)
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Todo lo que sucedió con Miranda Huff
  • La Tresse
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #2)
  • Liebes Kind
  • Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • El día que se perdió el amor
  • Legado en los huesos (Trilogía del Baztán, #2)
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
  • Le Mystère Henri Pick
  • Largo pétalo de mar
  • Die Rote Wand
  • Patria
Joel Dicker was born in 1985 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he studied law. He spent childhood summers in New England, particularly in Stonington and Bar Harbor, Maine. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair won three French literary prizes, including the Grand Prix du Roman from the Académie Française, and was a finalist for the Prix Goncourt. Dicker lives in Geneva.

Marcus Goldman (2 books)
  • La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert
“Todo el mundo es diferente, Markie, y puede que ese sea el secreto de la felicidad: estar en paz con lo que eres.” 7 likes
“¡Sueña, y sueña a lo grande! Solo sobreviven los sueños más grandes. A los otros los borra la lluvia y los arrastra el viento.” 6 likes