Start by marking “Fostered” as Want to Read:
Fostered

Fostered

You know what makes me different?
The thing that sets us apart?
Life experience.
I've never been tucked in at night.
Hot meals and clean clothes might as well be fairy tales...
Sleep?
I've never felt safe enough.
Wanted?
Only by the police.
Loved?
The word doesn't exist in my vocabulary.
I'm damaged goods.
An easy paycheck.
I thought there was an ulterior motive...
There a
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 296 pages
Published May 1st 2016 by House Of Attitude (first published November 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Fostered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fostered

Start your review of Fostered
Elise Black
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fostered is a wonderful, fresh coming of age story about accepting the past and recognizing that it doesn't have to dictate your future. Five stars all the way. Full review to follow.
Shelley
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Dante is taken to another new foster home, he is less than optimistic. What’s the point? He won’t be there long. They’ll send him back soon enough, they always do.

From the moment I started reading this book, I knew that it was going to be special. Dante captured my heart early on and had me rooting for him until the final page. Dante hasn’t had an easy life. He has never felt wanted in all of his seventeen years. From all of his time spent at different foster homes, group homes, and juveni
Jenni Moen
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa Marie knocks it out of the park with this quick-witted, coming-of-age story. Dante is perfectly jaded but not completely unreachable. He is as book smart as he is street smart. His toughened exterior bears the callouses earned during a life of hardship. No one is ever going to love him so he's just biding his time. Waiting to age out of a system that has continuously let him down.

But inside that tough almost-man is a sweet boy that wants what most of us take for granted: a fa
Letty  (Cover to Cover Book Blog Reviewer)
This is a beautiful coming of age story of survival and acceptance.

Vanessa does a fantastic job showing us the horrors, but also the good that comes from the foster system.

She gives us Dante, an emotionally scarred young man who has been dealt a horrible hand in life and hasn’t found his place in this world. Moving from foster home to foster home, he’s never felt wanted. When he arrives with the last foster family before his eighteenth birthday, he is as skeptical as they come. Neve
Keeley
VANESSA MARIE.. YOU ARE FUCKNG AWSOME! Just thought I would get that out there before I start.

Wow just wow. I found this author two days ago and iv already read two of her books and slapped her on my favourite author shelf because this woman has some mad skills when it comes to wrighting.

This book is by far the best book I have read this year and I'm so happy I come across it. I'm about to hand off my kindle to my son so he can read it next because I feel it's something h
Dawn Nicole Costiera
4 solid stars for Ms. Vanessa Marie.
She continues to impressed me with her heartwarming journey of a 17 year old foster child. Dante finds himself placed in yet again, another foster home. He has been through so many already, so he has no expectations for this one either. But what he doesn't know is this family is different and slightly crazy, in a good way. Just maybe he can actually have a shot at a normal life ....or is it too good to be true? I was happy to discover the book is much lighter
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read.

Dante is a teen, almost aged out of the system when he's taken to a new home. The McKinleys are loud and boisterous and definitely not like other families that he's lived with. He's naturally untrusting of them at first, and that's where this story begins.

I don't want to go too deep into it, because trust me when I say this is one book you need to read for yourself. ALL of the characters are so well created. And the
Natalie Rhodes
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have never read from this author and I was pretty excited to read this book!

I absolutely loved these characters and the depth of them was surreal to me. Dante had been through such a hard life and had zero hope left. And who could blame him after the hand he was dealt in life. He was such a strong soul. He deserved more.

The family that fostered him weren't normal but they worked and were amazing. It's hard to put into words the emotions I felt for Dante in this book. This author made you fee
Candi-
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED it!!!! This is the story about Dante, a 17 year old unwanted child who's life has been spent in a foster home. From time to time he has been placed in a new home.....but he always ends up right back in the system. He has no hope or faith in anyone. When he is finally placed in the home of Holly and Kyle will his life begin to change or will they end up like all the rest?

I loved all the secondary characters. I found myself giggling all the time when my heart didn't
Jillian Jacobs
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an eye-opening look into the life of a young man brought up in the foster care system. Dante takes on a new foster family, and as he begins to let down his shields, he finds the past holds him in its grip. I found myself rooting for Dante as he fought to find happiness. This book makes me want to delve into the inner workings of the foster care system. There are so many worlds out there I have no idea about, so I'm grateful to Marie for writing about this issue that gets no news play.
Amy
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This was given to me as an ARCs for my honest review.
This was my very first time I have read by Vanessa Marie. I was very honored to meet her and very happy to have been given this ARC.
I really loved this book. It was down right REAL. I have known many people that grew up in foster care and known their personal fights. This book was funny, sad, and very true to heart. Vanessa Marie I really enjoyed this great book and I am so glad that I was able to read this book. I do not give any
Josie Bordeaux
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Dante's story. This book was a great coming of age story, showing the good and bad in the foster system, along with a sweet little love story mixed right in. Definitely a 5 star book that'll keep you turning the pages!
Nykki Mills
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! I can't even describe the feels in this story. so. many. I ugly cried, I happy cried. I laughed, I had squishy happy feels and I thought about it for days after I finished. Vanessa Marie poured so much heart into this book. I'd recommend it to anyone!
MJ
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Oh wow. Fostered was an utterly wonderful surprise. Recommended by a favorite author of mine, I figured I'd give this new-to-me author a chance and I am extremely happy I did.

From the very start, I loved Vanessa Marie's style. Written in Dante Wallaces's POV, we are thrown immediately into his thoughts as he is being driven to yet another foster home. At 17, he has seen it all and it hasn't been pretty. In fact it's been downright horrifying and it's amazing this young man is here to
Tbird London
Shelves: 2015-books
The first time I read this story I told the author this book had to be published. Vanessa Marie took a tough topic that people tend to ignore and waved her magic talent over it to produce a story that will capture the reader’s heart and leave them thinking about what they can do to help kids in the foster care system.

Her characters are rich, diverse, nothing that you would expect to not only be woven together into a plot but into a family that works. Vanessa had my attention on the f
Myra
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Enter the giveaway and win Fostered!

I've received this book from the author in return for an honest review. Review is originally posted on my blog.

Expectations
Reading the synopsis, I was immediately drawn to this story. I'm a teacher and I'm always very interested in helping children the best way I can. I'm very curious to see how this book tells the story from this 17-year-old perspective.

Review
You should read this!

Fostered is about Dante who has
Kellie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviewed
The first time I saw this cover and read the synopsis I was drawn in and interested in this story. I have never read a book by this author and it mattered not at all when I accepted this ARC- somehow I just knew I'd love this book and I did. I started it and was immediately drawn into Dante and his story. Less than a year before turning 18 and aging out of the foster care system, he is delivered to his forteenth foster home. With zero expectations that this will be anything different than all th ...more
Jessica
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

I honestly loved this book!

Fostered is the story of Dante emerging from THE SYSTEM. This story shines light on the people who even though their efforts may at times go unnoticed, can help someone they truly believe in. We could use more of those types of people in the world.

Dante's heart is big, and his potential even bigger. His current foster family is a hilarious blended family, the McKinley's. I want to be par
Stacy Aube
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC for a honest review. This book was read and reviewed by Stacy Aube for Cutting Muse Blog Review.

Dante has had a rough childhood growing up in the system. He learns not to expect anything good from anybody.

Dante gets his chance at real happiness. Will the system fail him again like it does so many children.

Katie Blythe
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Dante has never had a good life. He’s been a foster kid his whole life and has been shuffled from group home to group home. He’s a bright kid but no one has any expectations for him, until his newest set of foster parent, the McKinley’s, take him in. He just expects this to be another family where they keep him for a while, get a few pay checks and send him on his way, but the McKinley’s have been wanting to fo
Angela Ruble Scott
This book touched my heart in so many different ways. It is a book that I believe can be read by everyone. It is a book that truly has great storyline. It shows how life in the foster care system struggles with trust and acceptance.

Dante, a young man who has bounced around the system so much he has no faith in anyone. When he finds himself once again heading to a new family, he knows they are going to be like all the rest. Can Holly and Kyle show Dante that family does mean more? Can
Boundless Book Reviews
This book was really good. So many kids are put in the foster system and so many are like Dante. They are put in a system that is supposed to help them, but a lot of times the help doesn't come.

This book followed Dante, a black teen with a record a mile long. He gets put into yet another foster home, but this time is different or is it?

This book was written so well and with so much feeling. It really had me look at the system and the kids that are thrust into the system w
Laura  Redmon
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dante has had a rough childhood growing up in the system.
He learns not to expect anything good from anybody.
Dante gets his chance at real happiness.
Will the system fail him again like it does so many children.
Abuse of children is real, it should not be taken lightly. The system is not perfect and needs changes to ensure that our children have everything they need without any fear. This is a very emotional story. There were funny moments that made it all worth it.

I received this book as an A
Peggy
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**SPOILER FREE**

Not sure where to even start without giving away any spoilers! This book.... This author!!!... Second time that I can recall reading anything written by this author and I have yet to be disappointed! The writing abilities that this author has is absolutely amazing! This book here, will skyrocket on the charts! The realistic feel of the characters and the story....WOW!!! It's like you're watching someones life right before your eyes! I can't recommend this book e
Angelle
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After being bounced around from foster home to foster home most of his life, Dante finds it hard to believe someone could want him. Although he is trying not to screw up again, things keep happening and he knows they are going to send him away soon enough because what family wants a screw up like him?
Could this be a real family for Dante or do they have ulterior motives? For me this book was a cross between The Blindside and ABC Family's The Fosters.
The story line and cast of characters w
Jessica Zelkovich
There is a reason this book has a 4.85 rating...it's F*- (swear jar!) Fantastic! My husband and I have been talking about fostering students and wow I want to fill out the paperwork like now. This book was great. It was real. It was gritty. It was uplifting. It was heartbreaking. It was soul-touching! There was one part that the lingo didn't really match the character but I'm talking one scene! and it's by my opinion (which might not be worth much). It was great. Well Done, Well Done!
Sadie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this to beta read and review, but the night I received it I had family problems and I planned on making a full review as soon as my aunt died but couldn't. so I'm so sorry to Vanessa for not getting the review in time. its a great book and If you come across this book I highly recommend you read this....
Susan Boyer
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how you are able to draw me in with the story line. This story was really well written and easy to read. I cannot wait to read more from you Vanessa!!!
Cheryl
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great
Vanessa Marie
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

• Trick
  • Crank (The Gibson Boys, #1)
  • Living On A Dare (Cheap Thrills, #2)
  • Classy AF (Cheap Thrills, #3)
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Bound To Me Forever (Providence, #7)
  • Forever Ducked (Providence, #6)
  • Until Tom, Finding Forever (Providence, #5)
  • Choosing Forever (Providence #4)
  • My Forever (Providence, #3.5)
  • More Than Forever (Providence #2)
  • Until Forever (Providence #3)
  • Forever Mine (Providence #1)
  • Tainted Gold (Providence Gold, #3)
  • The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)
  • Mad Gold (Providence Gold, #2)
  • Until Fools Find Gold
  • Fireball (Cheap Thrills, #1)
Always dancing to the beat of her own drum, Vanessa is a heavily tattooed, sarcastic, motorcycle enthusiast who started her career as a ASE Certified Jeep technician at the age of sixteen. Her obsessions of watching Turkish dizi TV shows, or yelling at an NHL game (GO VGK) while reading simultaneously often battle her family. At the age of 26 and becoming a pacemaker recipient—she decided the over ...more