Start by marking “The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)

The Book of the Dead (Pendergast #7)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  27,122 Ratings  ·  1,016 Reviews
An FBI agent, rotting away in a high-security prison for a murder he did not commit...

His brilliant psychotic brother, about to perpetrate a horrific crime...

A young woman with an extraordinary past, on the edge of a violent breakdown...

An ancient tomb with an enigmatic curse, about to be unveiled at a celebrity-studded New York gala...

The New York Museum of Natural Histor
Published August 14th 2006 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Dead, please sign up.
Jamie You'll miss some character development if you don't read them in order

La Petite Américaine
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nicole / Smart People
I normally never buy NY Times bestsellers, as it's usually the morons of America that cause the shittiest books ever written to end up on this list. The Book of the Dead was an exception I made. This time American readers got it RIGHT! I just finished this book and I'm still reeling.

This book is the way a thriller/myster should be written. It's full of complex, well-developed characters, it has an evil genius (part Hannibal Lecter, part Sideshow Bob) conspiring to ruin lives, a cooped-up myst
Ginger
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was so good! I couldn’t put it down. Another epic thriller by the tag team of Preston/Child!

Okay, so here’s the thing. I can’t say too much on the plot of this book because it’s the third one in the Diogenes series. You would need to go to book #5 (Brimstone) to start the book trio between the Pendergast brothers.

Aloysius is an FBI agent and reminds me of Sherlock. Extremely intelligent, calm and resourceful. Minus the whole cocaine habit. Ha!
Diogenes is his brilliant, psychotic brother and
Matthew
I am marking this 5 stars, but it is more like 4.5 stars.

I hate to take any stars from Preston and Child, but, while the book was great, I did not care for the climax very much. The story was an action packed resolution to the Diogenes trilogy in the same vein as the other Pendergast novels that I have come to know and love. I think where the book (and the climax) lost me as it almost felt rushed to resolve both the book and the trilogy.

I am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo and I saw
Emma
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Usually I really enjoy these novels so I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy this as much. I didn't think the Event that caused so much hatred between the two brothers was that impressive in terms of the lengths Diogenes went to to destroy his brother. This was definitely the poorest of the Diogenes trilogy.
The next in series is also not popular with fans of the series as it is in a different setting and without the supporting cast so I may give that one a miss.
A tepid contribution to the serie
Terry
Great conclusion to the Diogenes Trilogy within the Pendergast series! Nothing like a bombshell ending to make you immediately want to pick up the next book.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Another excellent thriller featuring Agent Pendergast.
Shaina
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last of the hair-raising Diogenes trilogy within the Pendergast series. I loved this trilogy. It wasn’t easy on the mind and hearts of those attached to the characters in these books. This last one was really a nail-biter and gave me goosebumps. Prepare for several travesties where you are constantly asking yourself what is really going on and wondering if the characters can recover.
Resilience can be found in the strangest of places. If you push a person too far, you just might find out wha
Donna
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense and mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery-suspense
One dreary December evening some years ago, I slogged in to my local Fred Meyer, stamping snow off my shoes, and encountered a tall, friendly, dapper gentlemen hawking paperback books near the door. He introduced himself as Douglas Preston and said the book, Relic, was being made into a movie. I thought, Yeah, sure. So why are you standing here in a deserted grocery store in Kennewick, Washington, on a night like this? I sort of felt sorry for the guy, so I bought the book.

About 24 hours later,
Chris
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read Preston & Child, you're really missing out on one of the best series of thrillers written, period. Forget James Patterson, folks, these guys know what they're doing and do it better than pretty much anyone. Why? Thorough, well-researched storylines, but not the type (i.e. Da Vinci Code) that bogs down the thrust of the storytelling. Oh yeah, and most of their novels feature one of the most compelling protagonists in modern fiction...Special Agent Pendergast. Many of their ...more
Irishcoda
Johnny
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Warning: I tend to enjoy books in a series more and more when I've developed a "relationship" with the characters. This may not be the best written book in the series, but it feels like it to me because it is so true to the characters.

Raise your hand if you really think a detective can be as near-omniscient as Sherlock Holmes. Uh huh! I didn’t think so. Now, that being said, if you still enjoy suspending your disbelief enough to enjoy the improbable mastery of minutiae that Arthur Conan Doyle as
JoJo
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to JoJo by: found in bargain bin at borders
i found this book in the bargain bin at the borders where my sister works. the cover interested me and i asked my sister about it, and when she said that people asked her about it a lot, i bought it since with my discount it came to about $2. was a great book and i'm sorry i read it first because its the last book in a trilogy made by the two authors about their FBI protagonist, special agent pendergast. i highly suggest this book, its awesome and i rarely care much for mass market paperback thr ...more
Mike Moore
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Remember those old movies that blended cartoons and live action? Like Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Cool World? This book reminded me of those, perhaps more the latter than the former.

The book starts with promise, presenting some compelling scenes and introducing some believable characters. Than we're introduced to the villain and the hero, two ridiculous cartoons striding through a world of normals. The plot quickly spins out of the realm of the remotely plausible, as the cartoons seem to infect
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
I picked this book up from my local library for a dollar. I believe it was a dollar well spent. The creepy factor was right up there. I like how the authors used modern day techniques to achieve horrific situations. This was definitely a thrill ride and I enjoyed my time on it.
Kasia
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like all my reviews for the Pendergast series are starting to sound the same, I'm gushing as if in love about how fantastic the books are but its still true, this story is phenomenal and it makes you want to read another and another, this could easily have thirty volumes and I would still want to read them all, as usual this book reads smooth as silk while the action cuts like a knife.

The Book of The Dead is the standard great stuff that one would expect from the insightful and intelligen
Paul
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed Douglas Preston's recent best-selling sci-fi thriller, Impact (also reviewed here on Facebook), but did not much like this one, a bit of airport trash he co-wrote with Lincoln Child. It's not as bad as Ted Bell's Spy (reviewed here: http://pwoodford.net/blog/?p=1314), but it's pretty bad all the same. My biggest problem? The Book of the Dead is one of a series of novels, with a cast of characters introduced (and presumably more fully developed) in earlier novels. Unfortunately, though ...more
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
This book is the last of the little trilogy within the Pendergast series that started with Brimstone and Dance of Death. While I was really looking forward to reading it, I started out a bit slow, first because I was in the middle of a different book when my library order came in, and I started playing Dishonored on my 360 and was trying to figure out what I was doing without dying too often.

But then I got a few chapters in and couldn't stop reading! All sorts of suspenseful things were going on
kartik narayanan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The Book of the Dead is another so-so entry in the Pendergast-verse and brings the Diogenes trilogy to an end (hopefully!).

It suffers from the same malaise as the previous couple of books in that the antagonist is boring and the story boils down to Batman chasing the Joker in the Dark Knight. There is no mystery and the protagonists are basically boring while having the ability to foresee random events. And the ending is ambiguous enough without any form of closure.

Oh well!. I hope the next book
Rob Thompson
The Book of the Dead is a novel by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child published on July 1, 2007 by Warner Books. This is the seventh book in the Special Agent Pendergast series. Also, it is the third and final installment to the trilogy concentrating on Pendergast and his relationship with Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta in their pursuit to stop Pendergast's brother, Diogenes. Preston and Child call these books the Diogenes trilogy. The three books in the trilogy start with Brimstone in 2004 and cont ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Well, I guess the magnificent run of Pendergast novels couldn't last forever. This was a good book, but I felt cheated. The Tomb of Senef with its colourful history and its macabre 'curse' offered so many real opportunities. In the end, when The Event was revealed, the whole thing just fell flat. Also, I wasn't too impressed with the wrap-up of the whole Diogenes sequence. What's this? Is this the same Diogenes who was so masterfully powerful in Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6)? I don't want to r ...more
Alice
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you can get past the plot, which is utterly preposterous, this is a pretty good action read. I found myself flipping past the criminal mastermind's rantings because after awhile, they get boring. I also I fail to see what help it is when he quotes things in French (got that), Italian (can guess at that), Russian (nope), and Greek (nope again), and then does not provide translations. Maybe the point is to let the author impress his readers. That got boring too. My interest picked up when the t ...more
Abby
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
I always love picking up a Pendergast novel for when I want a fun and quick detective story. The finale of the Diogenes trilogy within the series didn't fail. Seriously though, with all the things that happen at that museum, you'd think they'd have shut down new programs by now. Your sense of reality definitely has to be suspended for this one but it's a fun ride.
John Beta
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the reliable thriller-mystery, with a dash of horror read in between my other readings. However, I should have read Brimstone and Dance of Death first. Shame on me for not reading more reviews and blogs on this. I was still entertained by the clever Agent Pendergast and his cohorts. I'll be back to read more by the Preston/Child team soon.
Sophiene
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I just love the mix of history and thriller. Especially the museum history is fascinating. I'll try to get more of these.
Cherie
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And now I know the story of Constance Green and Diogenes Pendergast and I am caught up with the beginning of the series and the "Pendergast Trilogy" is behind me.

I am not sure I want to visit the Museum of History in New York City, if I ever go there. Too many bad experiences, I think.

I really enjoyed Scott Brick's narration of the story and look forward to hearing him again.
Carol
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I did not care for this book at all. There are too many subplots-- 1) the opening of an Egyptian tomb at the NY Natural History Museum is plagued by murders, 2) a clever prison breakout, 3) a weird young lady living in a sumptuous mansion in New York, 4) two brothers, one good, one evil and each gifted in his own way, are connected by a traumatic event that occurred when they were little boys. All of the disconnected subplots and the sheer volume of characters left me thinking I needed to take n ...more
Scott  Breslove
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Another possible 3.5er. I actually really enjoyed this book, possibly more than the last, but am too haunted by one problem to actually up the rating. When all is said and done, this book had all the excitement of the series, and tied up a lot of loose ends from the previous Diogenes books, while also leaving a few open ends, or at least one big one.
My big problem here is how the Hugo Menzies problem from Dance of Death was never solved. Supposedly, if I remember correctly, they were looking fo
Stefan Svartling
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Book Of The Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

So, now I've read book seven about Agent Pendergast, the Book Of the Dead. It was very good, definitely one of the best yet in this long series. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are very good authors of suspense, mystic, and thrillers. I like this book series more and more.

I don't want to spoil anything, but it still feels like it ended with a cliffhanger when it comes to Pendergast mad and evil b
Ruth Turner
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned

DNF

Audiobook - Narrated by Scott Brick - Not one of my favourite narrators

I've had 3 attempts to listen to this book, without success.

I persevered because of all the excellent reviews it received, but in the end I just gave up.

One of the reasons I may not have liked it is that it was narrated by Scott Brick, whose voice tends to put me to sleep.

I'll give it another try sometime in the future, but it will be the paperback or ebook edition.
Amanda
Drawn to the cover, I picked this book up at a book sale & I'm so glad I did. I loved it! If I'd taken this on relaxing vacation, I jjust know it would have taken only days to finish. It was a quick and engaging read. I will definitely be going back to read this series from the beginning.
Horror Aficionados : The Book of the Dead 83 81 Jan 19, 2018 10:29AM
Around the Year i...: The Book of the Dead, by Douglas Preston 2 15 May 16, 2017 01:10AM
Ask Preston & Child!: Diogenes 13 36 Sep 05, 2014 06:56AM
Denoument reminiscent of...? (spoilers) 2 27 Jul 28, 2014 09:43AM
Series Authors 2 44 Oct 02, 2012 10:02AM
Ask Preston & Child!: Interesting historical connection to Pendergast 65 77 Oct 23, 2011 06:16PM
  • Death Match
  • Excavation
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Slayer of Gods (Lord Meren, #6)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“chip, a credit card, a small hypodermic needle and syringe, some duct tape, and a tiny capsule of brown liquid. Pocketing the items, he exited the bathroom and darted down the hall to guard station 7. Just as Glinn had predicted: of the five guards on duty, four had responded to the escape call, leaving the lone commanding guard at the console, surrounded by a wall of live video feeds. The man was shouting orders into a microphone and punching up feed after feed, frantically searching for the loose inmates. An overwhelming response had been mobilized to deal with the mass escape attempt. Based on the guard’s excited chatter, already one of the inmates had been run down and recaptured.” 0 likes
“He had reached an age where he found the best way to deal with unpleasantness was to pretend it didn’t exist.” 0 likes