Start by marking “Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)

Pirouette (Andari Chronicles #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
You have probably heard the tale of twelve princesses who loved to dance... This is the story of what happened when they stopped.

Princess Ilani might as well be invisible. Her crippled leg has made her an outcast, while her twelve sisters dance for the Caelani court and dream of the future. But when the time comes for their father to choose his heir, it is Ilani whose secr
Published May 1st 2016 by Page Nine Press

To ask other readers questions about Pirouette, please sign up.
Kenley Davidson It can be read either way. Each book is its own complete story, but a few of the characters make multiple appearances, and there will be some aspects…moreIt can be read either way. Each book is its own complete story, but a few of the characters make multiple appearances, and there will be some aspects of the plot that might make more sense when the series is read in order.(less)

Ashley Stangl
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
After browsing through the self-published fairy tale retellings available on Kindle Unlimited, I'd started to get a bit depressed. It seems as though anyone with a word processor and a copy of Grimm's can pound out a retelling, filling the world with hundreds of half-baked versions of the same stories.

This book restored my faith in the genre.

"Pirouette" is a retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". That's pretty much all I knew before starting. I love this fairy tale, but didn't have high
The Intrepid Fox
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, I'll admit it, even though Ramsey was brilliant, I'm pretty sure Kyril caught my attention the moment he was mentioned. Pirouette is set a few months after the marriage of both Trystan and Ramsey, and Kyril has found himself in an awkward position.

The dreaded third wheel!

description

I KNOW! That's what I said!

Although he is still friends with Ramsey, he finds himself longing for more excitement. Checking out a foreign empire doesn't sound like too shabby of an adventure, right? Right. Especially when s
BigComfyChairBookReviews
This book was my least favorite in the series, by a lot. Which makes me sad/mad because it is the one I was most looking forward to. The 12 Dancing Princesses is my favorite fairytale and one that doesn’t get retold that often. But getting through this book was grueling. It dragged by at a snail’s pace and was way too long. I was aggravatingly waiting for something to take away from it.
description
Like the 1st two in this series this one is NOT a romance. This one had even less romance than the first two.
J.M. Stengl
Where to begin with this lovely story? Pirouette takes its time to introduce the world, the characters, and the drama, bringing in characters (good and bad) from earlier in the series (which is fun), and introducing a new cast of characters in a previously unseen part of the world. I would advise a new reader to stick with the story and simply enjoy the lovely writing and description--the payoff is coming!

Kai is an unusual hero--charming and intelligent yet filled with self-doubt, particularly a
Gabrielle
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale, favorites
Where do I even begin? The third addition to Kenley Davidson's Andari Chronicles was an adventure in and of itself. (Side note: If you've read Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher, then this book is going to feel very familiar.)

In Pirouette, I finally got the world-building I was looking for. Caelan is a magical, middle-eastern type country straight from a Scheherazade tale, full of spicy princesses and sultry gardens. I liked the setting a lot, and was intrigued to see how the plot would turn out.

A
Kendra Parker
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Pirouette, we learn more about why there is so little magic in Andar, the main fantasy realm where the Cinderella retelling is set. Along the way, intrigue and mysteries abound.

I enjoyed the slightly middle-eastern flair to the novel, and once again Davidson did a fine job of making the tale rather epic. She truly takes the original as inspiration, telling the story in such a unique way that you may not even recognize the tale.

The depth of the story was very good, but I found myself feeling
Christi-Anne
Now, this surprised me- I loved Kenley Davidson's previous books in this series.

Overall, this book wasn't bad. There were a few things that really, really made me have to force myself to finish, but besides that...

So, here they are:
1. the romance was underdeveloped. Ludicrous.
2. There was barely any action, just a bunch of thinking. And I don't mean fighting- I just mean events or acts. This caused the book to drag, and drag, and drag.
3. Lord Seagrave was almost completely pathetic. Which is sad
Lily
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my favorite in the series (so far, heh heh heh), and was a brilliant twist on the classic fairy tale, that to be honest, I have grown a bit bored with. I think this book has a lot more representation than most in the genre (disability, race), although still no gays (I'm holding out though). Some parts of the plot were predictable, but towards the climax, most things took me by surprise. I also appreciated that the romance wasn't I-just-met-you-now-let's-get-married, and actually bu ...more
Penny
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I experienced less of a connection to the characters in this book than in the prior 2 in the series. I tried to analyze why: lack of knowledge about the original fairy tale; not being sure whose story it REALLY was; actively disliking some of the characters. Ultimately, I was unable to pinpoint the why for that lack of connection.

I am going on to book 4 though. Overall it is a well-done series.
Fiorela
Really nice and an interesting twist on the classic "The 12 dancing princesses"
This book was a bit of a challenge to keep on reading since the first 6 chapters were really boring, becoming maddening, there almost no action and we spent most of the time in the head of the characters, Kyril and Brenna was a nuisance to read.
From the seventh chapter, things became more interesting and easy, so it was pretty awesome.

Suzy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world that Kenley has written is so captivating. I'll admit I wasn't sure where things were headed after reading Goldheart, but Pirouette picked up on what was built with Traitor's Masque nicely and it felt like a beautiful flower opening up to see more of the world she sees. The characters are well thought out with their strengths and their weaknesses. I can't wait for Shadow & Thorn, next!
Michelle
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

A different take on the twelve dancing princesses. I really loved this story but I couldn't give it five stars because there is little bit of language in it that I prefer wasn't there.
Lydia Staggs
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been delighted with this series, and so far this is my favorite of the three books. I am not familiar with the original story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, but that did not take away from my enjoyment of this book. Great story telling.
Honour Fraiser
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Pirouette! I wish I could've skipped book 2 of the Andari Chronicles and come straight to book 3. A whole new adventure with a new culture and a little bit of magic. I enjoyed the plot and characters. I didn't want to put it down.
etherealfire
3.5 stars.
Stephani Austin
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still great!

This series has gripped me and won’t let go! I was happy to revisit some characters from the first book and discover a new country and culture. Very engaging!
Tisha Vogt
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved It!

Simply Beautiful! This world, written with passion and the perfect environment for the retelling of beloved fairy tales. What a wonderful read!
Liberty Gilmore
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Twelve Dancing Princesses is not a fairy tale I'm familiar with, unlike Cinderella and Rumplestiltskin, which were the subjects of Davidson's previous two books. I won't say this impaired my enjoyment any, but it was a different experience to read the story fresh, without the added layer of trying to figure out who was who, and how the beats of the fairytale would figure in to the retelling.

Pirouette is a more ambitious tale than its predecessors. Where Traitor's Masque was interwoven with p
Barbara Douglas
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the third book of the author's Andari sequence, though each book pretty much stands on its own. This one is inspired by the story of the twelve dancing princesses, though aside from the number and the dancing, and the King's desire to know what his daughters are up to (and of course the hero's love of the littlest princess), there are few points in common with the version of the story I grew up with. This means that the plot contains many unexpected twists. So unexpected, in fact, that f ...more
Kasey Giard
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been a huge fan of this whole series. I like that each book branches out further into the storyworld, with a mix of both familiar and new characters. The relationships between characters always draw me in. One of my favorite things about the series is that these aren't strict retellings of the stories. Pirouette bears some similar elements to The Twelve Dancing Princesses, but it has a lot of additional political intrigue and some romance as well. I think this author really has a gift for r ...more
Megan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5

What what? There is more to come... hopefully? Super excited. While this wasn't my favorite of stories (I've come to find out The Twelve Dancing Princesses isn't a fairy tale I particularly like) I still think the retelling is clever. And I love Kenley Davidson. And Kyril. But what will happen with Rowan? And Brenna? And Alexei? So many questions which I hope will be answered in so many stories
Kyria
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely cultural tale

Prejudice, and lawful cruelty. In many places they wear one face or another. What about in fictional Andari's neighboring nation? And what mischief will wicked Rowan get up to?
Angi
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this one! I can’t even describe how attached I am to Ilani and Kyril. It was so amazing. The kingdom she comes from, the descriptions of the location, the food, the people, the customs...it was all so in depth and creative and then to weave in the 12 dancing princesses. So good!!!!!!! Loved!!
Amanda Hagerty
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
Amazing amazing my favorite book.
Annette
Casandra L Elliott
Jul 27, 2018
Marti Switzler
May 12, 2018
Kenley Davidson is an incurable introvert who took up writing to make space for all the untold stories in her head. She loves rain, roller-coasters, coffee and happy endings, and is somewhat addicted to researching random facts and reading the dictionary (which she promises is way more fun than it sounds). A majority of her time is spent being mom to two kids and two dogs while inventing reasons n ...more
More about Kenley Davidson

Andari Chronicles (5 books)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadow and Thorn (Andari Chronicles, #4)
  • Daughter of Lies: A Reimagining of Snow White (The Andari Chronicles Book 5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99