Start by marking “Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)

Pirouette

(Andari Chronicles #3)

You have probably heard the tale of twelve princesses who loved to dance... This is the story of what happened when they stopped.

Princess Ilani might as well be invisible. Her crippled leg has made her an outcast, while her twelve sisters dance for the Caelani court and dream of the future. But when the time comes for their father to choose his heir, it is Ilani whose
Published May 1st 2016 by Page Nine Press

To ask other readers questions about Pirouette, please sign up.
Kenley Davidson It can be read either way. Each book is its own complete story, but a few of the characters make multiple appearances, and there will be some aspects…moreIt can be read either way. Each book is its own complete story, but a few of the characters make multiple appearances, and there will be some aspects of the plot that might make more sense when the series is read in order.(less)

Start your review of Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
Ashley Stangl
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
After browsing through the self-published fairy tale retellings available on Kindle Unlimited, I'd started to get a bit depressed. It seems as though anyone with a word processor and a copy of Grimm's can pound out a retelling, filling the world with hundreds of half-baked versions of the same stories.

This book restored my faith in the genre.

"Pirouette" is a retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". That's pretty much all I knew before starting. I love this fairy tale, but didn't have high
Gabrielle
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale, favorites
Where do I even begin? The third addition to Kenley Davidson's Andari Chronicles was an adventure in and of itself. (Side note: If you've read Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher, then this book is going to feel very familiar.)

In Pirouette, I finally got the world-building I was looking for. Caelan is a magical, middle-eastern type country straight from a Scheherazade tale, full of spicy princesses and sultry gardens. I liked the setting a lot, and was intrigued to see how the plot would turn out.

A
em_panada
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, I'll admit it, even though Ramsey was brilliant, I'm pretty sure Kyril caught my attention the moment he was mentioned. Pirouette is set a few months after the marriage of both Trystan and Ramsey, and Kyril has found himself in an awkward position.

The dreaded third wheel!

description

I KNOW! That's what I said!

Although he is still friends with Ramsey, he finds himself longing for more excitement. Checking out a foreign empire doesn't sound like too shabby of an adventure, right? Right. Especially when
BigComfyChairBookReviews
This book was my least favorite in the series, by a lot. Which makes me sad/mad because it is the one I was most looking forward to. The 12 Dancing Princesses is my favorite fairytale and one that doesn’t get retold that often. But getting through this book was grueling. It dragged by at a snail’s pace and was way too long. I was aggravatingly waiting for something to take away from it.
description
Like the 1st two in this series this one is NOT a romance. This one had even less romance than the first two.
J.M. Stengl
Where to begin with this lovely story? Pirouette takes its time to introduce the world, the characters, and the drama, bringing in characters (good and bad) from earlier in the series (which is fun), and introducing a new cast of characters in a previously unseen part of the world. I would advise a new reader to stick with the story and simply enjoy the lovely writing and description--the payoff is coming!

Kai is an unusual hero--charming and intelligent yet filled with self-doubt, particularly
T.K.
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
What delightful characters! This is my favorite retelling of The Dancing Princesses fairy tale. I was pleasantly surprised to see the misogynistic elements of the original tale addressed without feeling the least bit preachy. 4.25 stars :)
Suzy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world that Kenley has written is so captivating. I'll admit I wasn't sure where things were headed after reading Goldheart, but Pirouette picked up on what was built with Traitor's Masque nicely and it felt like a beautiful flower opening up to see more of the world she sees. The characters are well thought out with their strengths and their weaknesses. I can't wait for Shadow & Thorn, next!
Lisa Dawn
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally completed the third book in Kenley Davidson's Andari Chronicles, and I am pleased to say that Pirouette had everything I felt that the first book, Traitor's Masque, was lacking. Not only is it my favorite adaptation of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" that I've read so far, but it also boasts a disabled princess as the book's main heroine instead of making her a friend or supporting character. The biggest surprise to me after reading the other two books was that the world of the Andari ...more
Annabelle Heath
The Twelve Dancing Princesses is not a fairy tale I'm familiar with, unlike Cinderella and Rumplestiltskin, which were the subjects of Davidson's previous two books. I won't say this impaired my enjoyment any, but it was a different experience to read the story fresh, without the added layer of trying to figure out who was who, and how the beats of the fairytale would figure in to the retelling.

Pirouette is a more ambitious tale than its predecessors. Where Traitor's Masque was interwoven with
Shruti
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Kyril and Ilani's story. And am looking forward to read Alexis's story soon. This series is progressing so well. I author really has a gift of portraying things in a beautiful and devastating manner. With simple words she manages to show such depth and understanding and addresses to so many issues. It is commendable. There isn't really as much romance here as is in the first book but a deep connection and understanding that binds people more like the kind of companionship that is mostly ...more
Kendra Parker
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Pirouette, we learn more about why there is so little magic in Andar, the main fantasy realm where the Cinderella retelling is set. Along the way, intrigue and mysteries abound.

I enjoyed the slightly middle-eastern flair to the novel, and once again Davidson did a fine job of making the tale rather epic. She truly takes the original as inspiration, telling the story in such a unique way that you may not even recognize the tale.

The depth of the story was very good, but I found myself feeling
christi anne
Now, this surprised me- I loved Kenley Davidson's previous books in this series.

Overall, this book wasn't bad. There were a few things that really, really made me have to force myself to finish, but besides that...

So, here they are:
1. the romance was underdeveloped. Ludicrous.
2. There was barely any action, just a bunch of thinking. And I don't mean fighting- I just mean events or acts. This caused the book to drag, and drag, and drag.
3. Lord Seagrave was almost completely pathetic. Which is
Lily
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my favorite in the series (so far, heh heh heh), and was a brilliant twist on the classic fairy tale, that to be honest, I have grown a bit bored with. I think this book has a lot more representation than most in the genre (disability, race), although still no gays (I'm holding out though). Some parts of the plot were predictable, but towards the climax, most things took me by surprise. I also appreciated that the romance wasn't I-just-met-you-now-let's-get-married, and actually ...more
Mistborn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it! This series is such a hidden gem and I'm so glad I found it :') The writing is beautiful and really captures the characters personalities. I loved the introduction of a different culture (much more exotic than her first 2 books) and the way Kenley Davidson guides us through the story and the struggles of each character so seamlessly... That's how writing is done folks. Even though this is a series, each book is still unique in its characters, plot and world, but still able ...more
Emily Vaughan
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible intricacies

This is no mere retelling of an old tale; but an all new world spun with mastery. This is the third installment in a series which takes the basic premises of well loved fairy tales and spins them into entirely new stories set in an ever more complicated fictional world. The characters in each are well developed and the plot lines well formed; and as the series grows so too do the lives and histories of the characters we have grown to love.
Sarah Hamilton
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Unique Take on a Classic Tale

I've always loved The Twelve Dancing Princesses and was excited for a different take on the tale. This was a unique and great twist on that tale. I was glad to see Kyril got his story and the addition of Ilani was a good balance to his outgoing personality. My only complaint was that at moments it felt too slow - I wanted the whole story, but sometimes it seemed to lack momentum.
Fiorela
Really nice and an interesting twist on the classic "The 12 dancing princesses"
This book was a bit of a challenge to keep on reading since the first 6 chapters were really boring, becoming maddening, there almost no action and we spent most of the time in the head of the characters, Kyril and Brenna was a nuisance to read.
From the seventh chapter, things became more interesting and easy, so it was pretty awesome.

Penny
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I experienced less of a connection to the characters in this book than in the prior 2 in the series. I tried to analyze why: lack of knowledge about the original fairy tale; not being sure whose story it REALLY was; actively disliking some of the characters. Ultimately, I was unable to pinpoint the why for that lack of connection.

I am going on to book 4 though. Overall it is a well-done series.
Marissa
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is a fascinating look at the neighboring country referenced in the first book. The political intrigue and machinations are all over the place, and it's difficult to know who to trust, for both the characters and the reader! There are reappearances by a number of previously introduced characters, but the new folks are a great addition, and between them and the intricacies of the magic system, this is a fast-paced read that keeps you on your toes!
Michelle
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

A different take on the twelve dancing princesses. I really loved this story but I couldn't give it five stars because there is little bit of language in it that I prefer wasn't there.
Michele Pumphrey
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining book.

The plotline had many twists and was unpredictable in many instances. Also the plotline held a fair amount of suspense which kept things interesting. A very good book.
Honour Fraiser
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Pirouette! I wish I could've skipped book 2 of the Andari Chronicles and come straight to book 3. A whole new adventure with a new culture and a little bit of magic. I enjoyed the plot and characters. I didn't want to put it down.
Kimber Braun
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique, original, and heartwarming

Loved this incredibly unique retelling of the 12 dancing princesses! It has such an intricate plot that just really keeps you guessing about how it will all turn out. I love the hint of romance that’s sweet but not too gushy.
Amber  Christiansen
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique

This was a pretty unique version of the Twelve Dancing Princesses with some surprising twists. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I look forward to reading more in this series.
Lydia Staggs
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been delighted with this series, and so far this is my favorite of the three books. I am not familiar with the original story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, but that did not take away from my enjoyment of this book. Great story telling.
Sennin Kellen
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maze like and unique retelling

This unique retelling of Twelve Dancing Princesses explored one of my favorite characters from the first book of this series and had more twists and turns than one I have read in a long time. Fun, exciting retelling and I can’t wait for me!
Kaylah Kauffman
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word!! This twists on one of my favorite tales had my head spinning! I couldn't put it down!
Tisha Vogt
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved It!

Simply Beautiful! This world, written with passion and the perfect environment for the retelling of beloved fairy tales. What a wonderful read!
Kirsta
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.
Mary Burrows
This one was slow and hard to get through, enjoyed other books in series though

• A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms Book 5)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Beast of Rosemead: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Fairytales of Folkshore #4)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Beauty of Rosemead: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Fairytales of Folkshore #5)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Queen of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #3)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures #2)
  • The Princess Search (The Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #2)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • Pathways (Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Identity (Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Elodie of the Sea (Eldentimber, #5)
Kenley Davidson is a fantasy and science fiction author who loves to write clean romance, complex characters, and surprising plot twists. Her worlds (both real and imagined) are largely fueled by coffee, more coffee, and books (plus the occasional cup of tea). She currently resides in Oklahoma with her husband, two kids and two dogs, and believes everything is better with dragons.

Kenley is the

Andari Chronicles (6 books)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles #2)
  • Shadow and Thorn (Andari Chronicles, #4)
  • Daughter of Lies (Andari Chronicles, #5)
  • Path of Secrets (Andari Chronicles, #6)