Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 5: The Best Defense” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 5: The Best Defense

The Walking Dead, Vol. 5: The Best Defense

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #5)

As the survivors settle into their prison home something has drawn them out into the open... out of the prison... out of their sanctuary. This is a major turning point for the overall story of The Walking Dead, setting the stage for years to come.
Comics, 136 pages
Published April 21st 2009 by Image Comics (first published January 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Alejandro
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Governor is here!!!

This is the fifth volume of the softcover editions of "The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #25 to #30.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Five

THE BEST DEFENSE

Wait... you’re feeding them? What the hell are you feeding them?

Enter: The Governor...

..., no time to introduce him! Run, everyone! RUN!!!

Rick’s group is finally establishing a secure place in the prison when
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 very conflicted stars

First off I like this series. This is a great look at how humanity either deteriorates or survives in a world where so much of human kind is gone. From a survival aspect this book is fascinating.

On the other hand, I have come to the conclusion that Robert Kirkman hates women. I mean, really. Lori is unbearable and whines about the effort her husband makes to create a better place for them. Carol is a giant fucking mess and (view spoiler)
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
“Well stranger, we’re feeding them strangers”

description

I have a new favourite line. I’m not sure if this was supposed to be funny, but it did give me a good laugh. It was such a quick and ironic twist of fortune. Rick let his guard down for one moment; he believed what he saw, and because of this he almost got everyone killed. After this he’ll never trust people again. In this crazy fucked up world you just can’t take people on face value anymore. There’s almost always a monster lurking beneath.

The group
Tina Haigler
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Holy shit balls! No one died this time! I'm honestly still in shock. It was definitely gruesome though, with plenty of traumatic content. Normally it's more about who died, and who's left to mourn them, but this one introduced evil of a whole new variety - the Governor. A survivor from a neighboring town, he holds a position of power, and is clearly a deranged sadist. I know from this moment on, I will be looking forward to him dying a very disturbing death. Even if I don't enjoy another page, I ...more
3.5 stars.
My least favourite volume so far. It just wasn't up to the standard of the other volumes. I think the artwork is definitely growing on me though. I really liked it but they removed Tony Moore from doing the covers and that makes me sad. I absolutely adored his covers and I can definitely tell the difference between the old covers and the new ones. The new covers don't seem to be as detailed or eye-catching but I do like them, just not as much as I loved the old ones.

The story in this
Raeleen Lemay
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
UGHHHHH I HATE THE GOVERNOR SO MUCH
Nicole Alycia
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The governor in the comics makes the governor in the show look like a choir boy .... damn he's one fucked up character.
Anthony Chavez
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
The last volume I kept thinking this is a little whiny, the characters did a lot of complaining and grieving, I thought to myself something needs to happen, something to jar the characters and drive the plot forward. It looks like we have a villain here in volume 5.

Our travelling band that has settled in a prison sees a helicopter, LIFE is out there! They then see said chopper crash and they want to learn where they are from and see if they are ok. When they see boatloads of footprints surroundi
Becky
Whoooo-eee! These just keep getting more and more intense! I'm definitely glad that I haven't been reading these as they came out, because waiting in between episodes would be torture! I meant to take a break from these and read something else for a bit... but damn if it isn't hard to put them down! I need to know what happens.

This one is just as crazy as the last one... only now we have a few new faces to look at for a bit. They are ones that I hope to not see for very long. My hope is that th
Justin
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Be warned: minor spoilers ahead.

All right. Before reading this volume, I went back and reread all of the trades up to this point, in order to recapture the narrative and get back into the spirit of the story for Halloween. A few things I noticed during the read-through:

1. I appreciate the switch to Adlard’s art after the first story arc. While Moore made the characters much more distinguishable from one another, he also lent an exaggerated aspect to their features and expressions that was almost
Gabby
Holy shit!!!! This is my favorite volume so far out of the five I've read! I'm so happy because I really hated the 4th volume and I almost wanted to stop reading but I told myself not to and I kept reading out of curiosity and this fifth volume is amazing! Two words: The Governor. One of the biggest and baddest villains in The Walking Dead history was finally introduced and he is even more terrifying in the comics than he was in the show, and that's hard to believe but it's true! He's scary as f ...more
Darren Hagan
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enter the Governor and his reign of terror. This one is so dark
Emma
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Getting even grimmer. The story may have taken one turn too far for me..
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
i give this volume 3.5\5 it was really exciting and really dark so lets say the real evil starting from here
finally The Governor is showed and he is really making rick and michonne suffering already but sadly this is just the beginning , the first villain we see in the walking dead and he is really physco , crazy and sadist shit , some of us love some villains but this one all agree on hating him :(

Justin
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the story arc this thing is taking, but the human depravity stuff is killing me. It just feels like the author really wants to remind me over and over again how awful some people are in this new world. Some stuff makes sense, some stuff just feels over the top.

Imma keep readin em tho.
Badseedgirl
Negan cuts off Ricks hand, nuff said.
Fables&Wren
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

The group sees a helicopter crash and Glenn, Rick and Michonne go out to investigate it and run into Woodsbury people... oh, and Carol ask Lori a really really ridiculous question that I had to read again to make sure that really just happened.

Well, one thing is for sure: The Governor is even crazier and grosser in the graphic novels than in the TV show.

Seriously this series is not for the light hearted. Especially this volume. This is a graphic, GRAPHIC novel for adults, and
C
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ryan Buckby
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First read: February 23rd 2016
Re-read: May 25th 2019

this issue of the comic book series was brutal and crazy! so much is starting to happen and of course i get left on a cliffhanger!

The governor is very different from the television show don't get me wrong both the comic and tv counter part are both maladaptive and cunning, However i think the comic book governor comes out as the more brutal one it makes me sick in what he did to Rick and Michonne.

I'm so so happy that they changed Carol fo
Reanna
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The abundance of bad decisions and the fucking governor!
Sam Quixote
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Walking Dead continues to be an exercise in how much darkness the audience can endure with Robert Kirkman getting increasingly darker with each succeeding volume.

Besides the very graphic nature of the series already featuring an ample number of decaying zombie corpses feasting on human flesh before being shot/hacked at in the head, we’ve had execution-style murders, multiple suicide attempts, amputation and decapitation, child murder, and now: repeated gang rape! … Where will Kirkman go nex
Brightness
Only a slight improvement from the previous installment.

But this one moved along at a faster clip and we get to see the Governor for the first time.

Misogyny - still rampant.

But I discussed the sexism in detail in my gif ridden review for the previous installment. You can find it here:

The Walking Dead,Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire

Because I just don't have it in me to get into it all over again. At least not this go around.
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
lost hand, traps and torture.
oh my god :o
Yonaily
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I think this new experience will teach Rick not to trust in anyone. This volume is the darkest one. We are introduced to new characters, and things get really bad. I loved it! It was creepy, bloody and things I did not expect to happen, happened. I feel bad for Michonne. But I know she's a badass, and I'm sure she will make The Governor pay for what he's done. I can't wait to that. Definitely my favorite issue so far.
Sooraya Evans
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Glenn finds some riot gear. That's gonna be useful.
Tracking the crash site of a mysterious helicopter, Rick, Glenn and Michone stumble upon a new community: Woodbury.
The Governor makes his first appearance as the leader of Woodbury.
Someone gets a hand cut off. Another person gets raped. I hate the man already.
Oh... and Carol makes a disturbing proposal to Lori.
Tristy
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Etienne
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is certainly the most hardcore volume of the series, very violent and gore. lot of action, and at this point you know that anything could happen to anyone so you always have to stay alert. very good one!
Nariman
Can it get any worse ??
How possibly can it get worse than this !!!
Now Am gonna fantasize about the many horrible ways I want the governor to die with , or the terrible.. terrible torture I want to inflict on him.
☣Lynn☣
Man, this volume was brutal.
Play Book Tag: The Walking Dead, Volume 5 by Robert Kirkman ⭐️ 1 7 Aug 25, 2016 03:29PM
the walking dead (volume 5) 3 33 Nov 10, 2014 11:12AM
the walking dead volume 5 1 14 Aug 22, 2011 09:58AM
the walking dead volume 5 1 12 Aug 08, 2011 09:53AM

• Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 5: The Counterfifth Detective

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 8: Made to Suffer
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
“The second we put a bullet in the head of one of those undead monsters -- the moment one of us drove a hammer into one of their faces -- or cut a head off. We became what we are! And that's just it. THAT's what it comes down to. You people don't know what we are.

We're surrounded by the DEAD. We're among them -- and when we finally give up we become them! We're living on borrowed time here. Every minute of our life is a minute we steal from them! You see them out there. You KNOW that when we die -- we become them. You think we hide behind walls to protect us from the walking dead?

Don't you get it? We ARE the walking dead! WE are the walking dead.”
111 likes