Start by marking “The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte” as Want to Read:
The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte

The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte

Is there such a thing as Prince Charming?

Chastity didn’t take a teaching job in France to find hers, but a woman can dream, n’est ce pas?

If the father of one of her students—the Viscount Charles Jean Anne Monorie de Brase—is the best local example of princes, Charming or Otherwise, Chastity is ready to put aside any thought of falling in love again.

As much as she would
Published April 29th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte

Coco.V
Jun 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (6/29/2018)!💝
Katie W
It's interesting to think of there still being titled people in today's world, so this story was fascinating in that regard. Chastity is in France teaching English at a private school and seems like a very caring teacher. Her concern for one of her students puts her in touch with his father, a proud and busy man, who also happens to be a viscount, Charles. I really liked Chastity and her son and thought they were great characters.

I felt like I was bombarded with a lot of characters and different
Julie Carpenter
This book took me a long time to read and I feel like that might have made me become a little distant with some of the characters or even frustrated with some of the storyline. I was trying to read it during an emotional time for me personally and with a lot going on that I wasn't able to connect as well to it as I would have liked to. I'm sure many of you understand that with reading books that how you feel about a book can definitely be influenced by what's happening in life and your ability t ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I had a hard time settling in with this book. There were a lot of characters and the perspective and voice was always changing, sometimes without me knowing who exactly it was. I think this was supposed to add an air of mystery but to me it was distracting. I got used to the writing style as I went on but it sure wasn't my favorite. Because there were so many characters and the voice was constantly switching, I think I had a harder time connecting emotionally.

The setting in France was fun. I enj
Kellyn Roth
4.5 stars. Sweet contemporary romance set in France. Completely clean, underlying Christian theme if not exactly a Christian novel. Great plot with twist I didn't see coming. Find the full review here.

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Lyuda
Forced, uneven, strangely-phrased writing...Couldn't continue..
Jaima
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Something is wrong with one of her pupils. Chastity Whitmore is sure of it and she won’t pretend otherwise, even when the boy’s father brushes her off, sneering down the length of his aristocratic nose. Too bad that nose is so attractive—almost as good-looking as the rest of him. Unfortunately, the Viscount Monorie de Brase is the worst kind of man for a single mom like her to crush on. He’ll never be interested in an American-born English teacher, her son or their baggage.

Chastity could avoid h
J.L. Leslie
I've just finished The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte and easily give it 4.5 stars. The plot of this book is really great and so is the writing. I love that it has a little mystery going for it and a good twist at the end! I thought I had it figured out and was completely surprised! Since it's a clean romance, I think this book would be perfectly fine for teens to read. I don't really recall any profanity in it. The reason I rated it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is because I felt there was chemistry lac ...more
Alisa
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
When Chastity Whitmore and Charles, the Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte, first meet sparks definitely fly - but not the romantic kind! At their first meeting it would appear they had nothing in common. She is his son's English teacher and he is a pretty apathetic father. He is dating a famous actress and she is a single mother trying to create a great life for her 7-year-old son, Thomas.

Overall I liked this book. I liked both Chastity and Charles, but I felt like the chemistry between them was lac
Lizzie Harwood
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! I found the characters so well drawn and the plot held some great surprises and twists that ended up exactly where we'd hoped to go, two total opposites drawn together and living happily ever after. I loved the French detail and atmosphere, the setting was modern yet held all of that French charm that anything set in France merits! This is a heart-warming wonderful read by a talented author. I hope that Ms. Goutet keeps going with more contemporary clean romance plus her Regen ...more
Kelly
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, clean-read
This story has many points of views. The characters are believable. This is more of a mystery than romance. I did guess the who dun nit early in the book.

The first kiss between the main characters was sweet.

While I liked the characters, I was sort of bored. It took me sometime to finish it. I felt the book kind of ended abruptly.

The ending was a shocker!
Kate
I received my copy of the eBook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I really like this one a lot! There was more going on here than just a romance - and it wasn't that it was a thriller, because it wasn't quite a thriller to me - it was more of a romance. There was just more plot to it than the usual thriller romance. Some of the most poignant moments occurred when the stakes were at their highest in the case of the drug ring/stolen paintings.

I really loved how these two came together. Cha
Whispering Stories
‘The Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte’ is the work of American-born author, Jennie Goutet. It is set in France and written in the third person. We see the story unfold primarily from the viewpoints of English teacher, Chastity and her love interest, Charles, the Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte.

The cover design works well; we see the back view of a well-dressed man staring into the distance and I suspect this is how Chastity sees the viscount, an enigmatic remote figure, slightly out of her reach.

The ba
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***3.5 stars***

This is a contemporary romance with a little bit of suspense set in France.

Chastity is an American who is teaching English in a French Private School. She is trouble by one of her students, Louis, who appears to be taking drugs. A meeting with his father sets off a chain of events that lead to suspense, romance, and a possible happily-ever-after.

I enjoyed that there were two imperfect people who are suffering from pain from the past, they are doing their best to be parents to thei
Julie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A modern story of love and loss, the struggles of being a single parent, along with a little drama and mystery all set in beautiful France.

I enjoyed the real life struggles this book portrayed - the difficulty of being a single parent, of struggling to know if you're making the right decisions in raising your child - trying to find the perfect balance between being involved and letting him learn from his own mistakes. Being a parent is hard - it's even more difficult when doing it alone.

Chastity
Melanie Mason
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful romance with a thread of intrigue. This was a thoroughly enjoyable, clean, romance with an exciting twist of intrigue. I love how the characters developed over time and that the whole story didn't take place over a few weeks. It was nice to see how people's opinions can be changed when they take time to get to know someone. Seeing Chastity and Charles learn to like each other was a fun ride and then with the mystery of the stolen art on top of everything it made for a great afternoo ...more
Stacey
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I have to be honest, I am finding it hard to review this book. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed seeing the main characters grow in their friendship with each other but at times I felt it was a bit rushed. I would have liked to have had more interactions between the main characters & those most closely associated with them. I guess this is hard to do when you want to keep the plot moving along & as far as that was concerned I enjoyed the story. It kept me involved & w ...more
Melissa Nichols
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story that teaches you that things are not always what they seem. The Viscount might have lots of money but he is also a kind man who doesn't take life for granted. Chastity has been through some ups and downs in her life. She has decided to swear off love and is content where her life is at the moment. A few chance meetings and unpleasant run-ins between Chastity and the Viscount make her more aware that she needs to stay away from him. A freak accident changes everything and Chastity ...more
Pascale
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is written in a mature voice. The pacing is quick but allows the reader to get to know the characters well. The end was a bit rushed, in my opinion, as I would have preferred the relationship to deepen a bit more. Although this is a modern day story, it is very much written in the style of a regency romance. It is clean with no sex and no swearing (I would rate it G). Some minor errors in French grammar and spelling, but nothing that the general audience would know. I rate it 4.5 star ...more
F.
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from LibraryThing for an honest review. I humbly believe that the true test of a good book is to get you so involved that you don't want to put it down and involved with the characters. Ms. Goutet developed Charles character so beautifully as at first he seemed so gruff and aloof. As the story progressed, you get to understand why he is that way and why he is protecting his heart. Towards the end, I was jumping up and down rooting for him and trying desperately to solve the mys ...more
Nancy
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! It was very refreshing to read a romance where the main characters didn't have sex by the third chapter. I loved the quiet way they fell in love and how perfect it seemed by the end of the book. Another joy was having this book set in France. Much of what I read is set in England or the US, so France was a nice change of pace. There's a mystery in the book, too. See if you can guess who did it before the big reveal!
Andrea
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! Romance, mystery, nobility, crime - the story had me captivated from page one. Jennie Goutet's characters were colorful and gorgeous, the setting a dream. I wanted the two main characters to find in each other just what they needed, and the time rooting for them was well-spent, immersed in the author's clear, descriptive style. Loved this book!
Samantha Verant
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced read filled with suspense, intrigue, and romance, Goutet's The Viscount of Maisons-Lafitte will not only have you turning the pages...you may dream of finding a viscount of your own. The characters are well developed, the plot is filled with twists and turns, and the setting at a French château is what dreams and fantasies are made of! Loved this book!
Jessica
The plot was well thought out and I enjoyed the flow of the book. It was a quick read, and was nice to curl up with a book for an afternoon. I noticed some grammar and structure issues in the book. I liked the characters and I think the author could have developed them a little more. It had a nice HEA and is worth reading.

Andrea
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick light read

A nice romance book that leaves you feeling uplifted and complete. A great first novel. I loved the combination of a splash of a by-gone era with light romance. Looking forward to the next novel by this author.
Vicki Brown
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Holiday Read

My first ebook a lovely, relaxing book to read by the poolside or on a wet holiday in Paris like me!
Jennie Goutet
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Author's review doesn't count, but it gets rid of the To-Read button. :)
Angelica Bentley
The second book I’ve read by this author and, to me, even better than A Friend in Paris. An old mystery is woven into the story of an American girl who is living in Northern France, teaching English at a school in Maisons-Laffitte, near Paris.

I loved Chastity for her strength and lack of self-pity, raising her young son single-handed in a foreign country. This author creates relatable, sympathetic heroines, but she really shines at conjuring up the most wonderful male protagonists. Viscount Char
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE VISCOUNT OF MAISONS-LAFITTE was a mix of light suspense and romance with alternate points of view. The story developed through a slowly-building romance and with interesting characters. If you enjoy light romance, you may enjoy this story.

The beginning of this book was great, but then all these other point-of-views came in and different aspects of the story and it was too much at once. I felt like the author was trying to develop a suspenseful plot without really being suspenseful. It wasn't
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
Chastity is a single mom teaching school. When she thinks one of her students is using drugs, she schedules a visit with his father. The imposing Viscount of Maisons-Laffitte shows nothing but contempt for the American school teacher who presumes to tell him how to parent his son. Chastity decides the Viscount is nothing more than a selfish stuck up snob.
When an accident throws the two together, they begin to see that their first impressions may have been hasty. Chastity's ex shows up to add a l
« previous 1 3 next »

• Star Struck
  • Her Reluctant Bodyguard
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • Lexi's Pathetic Fictional Love Life
  • The Billionaire's Will
  • Shadows in the Curtain
  • I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1)
  • Breathe
  • A Good-Lookin' Man
  • Spotlight (Saint Squad, #9)
  • She Owns the Knight
  • False Identity
  • Love Out of Focus
  • Just Like Jack
  • Calysta and the Beast (The Sacred Scarred, #1)
  • Package Deal (Ruled Out Romances #2)
  • Regally Blonde (Chick Flick Clique, #2)
  • Wildflowers and Kisses: A love story
Jennie Goutet is an American-born Anglophile, who lives with her French husband and their three children in a small town outside Paris. Her imagination resides in Regency England, where her upcoming romance, A Regrettable Proposal, is set. Jennie is author of the award-winning memoir, Stars Upside Down and the modern romances, A Friend in Paris and A Noble Affair. A Christian, a cook, and an invet ...more