Start by marking “Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery, #5)

Assault & Beret

(Hat Shop Mystery #5)

London milliner Vivian Tremont and her American cousin and partner, Scarlett Parker, tip their caps to their beloved shop on Portobello Road in Notting Hill and set off for Paris, where Viv can’t wait to teach a hat-making class. But she has another reason to travel to the City of Light: to find the man she impulsively eloped with years ago and have their marriage annulled ...more
Published January 3rd 2017 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Assault & Beret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assault & Beret

James
I've come to really enjoy the Hat Shop Mystery series written by Jenn McKinlay. In this fifth and possibly final (I've heard rumors, but I'm hoping it's not true!) book, Assault & Beret, McKinlay takes us from London to Paris for a caper. I'd give this a solid 4 stars and recommendation to read for any cozy mystery fans.

Scarlett and Viv are in Paris for a hat-making course, but also to find Viv's estranged husband whom no one knew about. Scarlett discovers him, but then he's kidnapped. When
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Hats off to (Not original, I know) author Jenn McKinlay for what has been another brilliantly entertaining series!

I was so shocked when I heard ASSAULT AND BERET was going to be the last book in the Hat Shop Mysteries. I seems like it just started! However, if it had to end, Jenn McKinlay ended it well.

Fans of the series will be delighted with the sendoff the author gives this in ASSUALT AND BERET. She tied up loose ends, and leaves readers in a good place.

Being the last book in no way changed
Tina
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not a big fan of hat making aka the millinery profession, this is a series I love for the characters and setting alone, it why I started reading it. Vivian Tremont is a hat maker, a milliner who has a hat shop in London she runs the shop along with her American cousin, Scarlet Parker.

They are heading to Paris, the city of light and romance so Vivian can teach a hat class at the Paris School of Art and Scarlet is on a mission to find Vivian's misplaced, yes I said misplaced husband so Vivia
Jayne M.
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great way to end out this cute and quirky series. Although this one did not have as much hat making in it (was more of a background theme) it was nice to see a well deserved ending for these characters!
Dawn Michelle
Well. That was a great read. I was totally gobsmacked at the end; never saw that particular scenario play out like it did.

This was a very good series; I really loved the characters so much and am very sad that I will not be able to "travel" back to Notting Hill with Viv and Scarlett and all of their friends.
Roxann
From the cover: London milliner Vivian Tremont and her American cousin and partner, Scarlett Parker, tip their caps to their beloved shop on Portobello Road in Notting Hill and set off for Paris, where Viv can’t wait to teach a hat-making class. But she has another reason to travel to the City of Light: to find the man she impulsively eloped with years ago and have their marriage annulled. William Graham is not only handsome and charming, but he also has a glamorous job as an insurance investiga ...more
Mark Baker
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Cousins Vivian and Scarlett are in Paris, Vivian to teach a hat making class, and Scarlett to track down Vivian’s husband, Will. That search actually goes fairly quickly, but Vivian and Will have hardly reunited when he is kidnapped. Now Scarlett has to track him down again. But what is happening?

I hadn’t realized how much I missed Jenn’s writing until I started this book and fell under her spell once again. It engages us from the very beginning, but things really pick up once Will is kidnapped
Melissa
My favorite of all the Hat Shop Mysteries. I loved the setting of Paris...(I'm a French girl at heart!) and I loved the plot of this one with Viv's backstory finally answered in a most mysterious way. This story has the added bonus of great humor and I loved the interactions between Scarlet and Harry(Harrison!)....this was a very satisfying payoff of the first several books in this series and I eagerly look forward to the next installment!!!
Valerie
5 out of 5 stars.

Murder, art heists, sociopaths, hat-making, Paris - this book has it all. Add in our already stellar cast of Scarlett, Viv, and Harrison and it gets just that much better! We start the book with just Scarlett and Viv in Paris. Viv's teaching a hat-making class and Scarlett's looking for Viv's estranged husband. After some interesting events happen (no spoilers!), Harrison joins them.

I've loved this series from the start and mostly because I love the characters in it! Scarlett, t
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

ASSAULT AND BERET is the fifth book in the Copy Cap Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. This is a series that I completely stumbled upon one time while I was looking through Goodreads and the cover intrigued. I read the blurb and absolutely loved the idea of the European setting with two cousins, one of which is an American. I know Jenn McKinlay comes highly recommended so I was excited to try this series.

Debbie
Ms. McKinlay does it again, another great read. Scarlett and Viv are in Paris, Viv teaching a class and Scarlett searching for Viv's husband. When he is found and they see him being forced into a car and a priceless painting is involved you know that the story is going to be taking you to some interesting places. The mystery was excellent, I had no idea who did it. I was afraid that we wouldn't see the usual characters in the series but was thrilled when they showed up to help. I heard that this ...more
Fred
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assault And Beret is the fifth book in the A Hat Shop Mystery series.

Another enjoyable with millinery ladies, Scarlett and Vivian and a visit to Paris. Vivian is going to Paris to teach a hat making class and has asked Scarlett to come along to find her estranged husband, William Graham, in hopes of obtaining an annulment of their marriage. It doesn’t take Scarlett long to find Graham, who is presently working for O’Toole Insurance Co., an insurance company the specializes in insuring valuable w
Karen
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed Assault and Beret by Jenn McKinlay. I have not read any of this series before and I was amazed at how quickly I fell into step and how much it felt like a blockbuster movie. So well written, smart, funny and quick witted fun. I enjoyed so much the puns, I wish I could be as quick and clever as Scarlett and Viv and the gang! This was a great read and I felt so very happy with how it all ended. Mystery, Romance and more await in Paris and Assault and Beret!
Julie Craig
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this series and this book in particular. The characters are all so interesting and interact so well with each other. Even though the main character is an amateur sleuth, she is not naive. I loved the ending. There were many loose ends tied up so I am wondering if this is the final book. If so, I really loved the ending.
Tracey Miles
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Wrong way to end it

The abrupt plot twist at the end ruined what could have been a good book. It gave me an unwelcome whiplash that made no sense to the story I had been enjoying and unnecessarily rushed the ending. Very disappointing.
Penny Benson (Pensyl)
First book I read in 2017. Hope every book I read this year is as enjoyable.... just heartbroken that this is the last in the series.
QNPoohBear
Viv has been asked to teach a hat making class in Paris! Scarlett of course tags along to hose down anyone Viv manages to annoy, but also to track down Viv's estranged husband, William Graham and ask for an annulment. When Scarlett finds him quickly, she thinks her job will be easy, but when she meets William, she discovers that the handsome, charming man is reluctant to give up Viv. Viv seems conflicted about what to do. When Will shows the cousins a rare and recently discovered possible Renoir ...more
FangirlNation
Scarlett Parker goes with her cousin Viv to Paris, where Viv is teaching a class on high end millinery and Scarlett is going to hunt down Vivian’s husband whom she left after just a whirlwind romance and a honeymoon in Assault and Beret by Jenn McKinlay. Scarlett locates the husband, William Graham, without much trouble, and finds that he is an insurance art investigator. He refuses to sign any annulment papers unless Viv has dinner with him, so Scarlett drags the highly reluctant Viv to the res ...more
Marcella
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding addition to this series by Jenn McKinlay. Viv and Scarlet travel to the City of Lights (Paris) for Viv to teach a hat-making class and Scarlet to look for Viv's estranged husband. When William Graham (Viv's husband) and a masterpiece artwork disappear the ladies recruit their friends to help in the search. This is when the action begins for Viv and Scarlet. The author has a talent for ending each chapter with a "I must keep reading" situation. I am looking forward to retur ...more
meghann
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was bittersweet as it is the final in the series. I've loved reading about Scarlett and Viv and their adventures in London. There was a great cast of characters in this series, and I will miss getting to read about them in a new story each January.

Although I hate that this is the last book, I did love how it ended. The mystery was great, and I did not see that twist coming. Like, at all. I think things wrapped up nicely for all the characters, and I look forward to many rereads of this
Lauren
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost cried when I found out that this was the last book in the Hat Shop Mystery series. I love the series sooooo much. This book was pretty good. Like all the books in the series it was funny. Good story line. Some unexpected things happened. Really wish there had been a better ending. The ending was very predictable. The other books in the series were much better. This one was really a let down.
Lynn
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like McKinlay's writing, but this one was romance-novel formulaic and the mystery plot required the suspension of disbelief. Yet, after several in this series, I am totally involved with the characters, so of course I want to see how everything comes together. An excellent way to spend a weekend afternoon when you have nothing whatsoever better to do.
Melissa
5 stars because this is like candy. A fun, light read. This time the girls are in Paris (Oui Oui) and mayhem ensues. Even a little bit of up close and personal danger. With a very happy ending! I'm just sad I have to wait an entire year for the next installment.
Amy "the book-bat"
So sad to see the series end.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I love this series, I love the characters and especially the setting. But what makes this 5 stars is just how much fun this series can be. This is why the author is one of my top favorite cozy writers. Glad that all the characters and their story arcs are in this one. Felt like a finale. Glad to know there's going to be another hat mystery.
Under the Covers Book Blog

I found that even though this is my first book I’ve read in the series that I didn’t have muc

Aaron
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarlett Parker, and her cousin and co-owner of a millinery Vivian Tremont are off to Paris. The opportunity has come along because Viv has been hired to teach a 1-week course on hat design at a city art school, but it is also a chance for them to hunt down Viv's mysterious husband who went missing after they had eloped aver a quick romance and Viv walked away.

It does not take long for amateur detective to find William Graham, who is a well-know insurance investigator specializing in high-priced
Barb
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William Graham is not only handsome and charming, but he also has a glamorous job as an insurance investigator who works wit
Erin L
I believe this is the last release in this series. As much as I like McKinlay's Library series, I think the end of this series isn't a bad thing.

There's only so many bad puns I can put up with while Scarlett's friends exclude her. Especially given her puns are no better or worse than the ones they find funny.

This book continues along in the same vein as the rest in the series, but we get some resolution around Viv's relationship status. I feel like in the end, this was wrapped up into a silly,
Amanda
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Sigh. I'm so sad that this is the final book in the Hat Shop Mysteries. I recently started this series and became immersed in its charming settings and likeable characters. This book provides a bit of a change from the previous books in location (Paris, not London) and setting (a boardinghouse, rather than a hat shop and its upstairs living quarters). Viv is in Paris to teach a hat-making class and Scarlett, to search for Viv's estranged husband. This story has quite a bit of action and several ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Wrench in the Works (Fixer-Upper Mystery, #6)
  • Marked Down for Murder (Good Buy Girls, #4)
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • No Way Home (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #5)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • A Ghostly Light (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #7)
  • Silence of the Jams (Down South Café Mystery #2)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Secret Garden (Book Retreat Mysteries, #3)
  • You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2)
Jenn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of several mystery series and will be debuting a new women's fiction series in June 2017, starting with the title About a Dog. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Hat Shop Mystery (6 books)
  • Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Mad Hatter (Hat Shop Mystery, #2)
  • At the Drop of a Hat (Hat Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Copy Cap Murder (Hat Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery #6)
“One of the things I love most about Paris is the breakfast pastry also called viennoiserie. As you might have guessed, I have a small bread problem, okay, bread and cheese problem, all right, it’s really a bread, cheese, and wine problem. Heck, I should probably just move to Paris.” 1 likes