Start by marking “Devil in The Darkness: The True Story of Serial Killer Israel Keyes” as Want to Read:
Devil in The Darkness: The True Story of Serial Killer Israel Keyes

Devil in The Darkness: The True Story of Serial Killer Israel Keyes

He was a hard-working small business owner, an Army veteran, an attentive lover, and a doting father. But he was also something more, something sinister. A master of deception, he was a rapist, arsonist, and bank robber, and a new breed of serial killer, one who studied other killers to perfect his craft. He methodically buried kill-kits containing his tools of murder ...more
Published April 28th 2016 by RJ Parker Publishing

Start your review of Devil in The Darkness: The True Story of Serial Killer Israel Keyes
♥ Marlene♥
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers

As some of you know I am a member of 2 true crime clubs on Facebook. One of them (My favourite) is True Crime keeping it Real. Anyway 2 days ago on my time lime there it showed a story about a girl Samantha Koenig who apparently had been abducted from a coffee stand where she was working as a barista. (I had never heard of the word barista and had to look it up)
So I clicked on the link and there was a video of her being abducted and it made me feel so sad. Probably it struck a chord because I
Bettye McKee
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime-books
He had everyone fooled

Israel Keyes was a highly organized, intelligent, meticulous and depraved serial killer who lived in Anchorage, Alaska. He was a meticulous planner and hid "kill kits" in various locations, sometimes years before he intended to use them.

Keyes went to great lengths to ensure that his crimes were random, anonymous, and had no links to him. For instance, he flew from Anchorage to Chicago, rented a car and drove to Vermont where he murdered two strangers, then drove to Indiana
Nemo Nemo
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a retelling of the basics of the killer Israel Keyes.
Lacks insight.

I have to agree with other commentators here that his book proved to be devoid of any insight that had not already been revealed in relation to the criminal.

I read true crime because I want to understand the motives and mind set of the criminal so I can better protect me and mine should we be unfortunate enough to fall foul of such a monster as Keyes. I do this because I want to feel confident that my response would be measured in meeting the threat posed.

I don't feel that my
andrew y
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh

This is it, I swear, I'm done with true crime for a little while.
Okay in reality this book was actually halfway decently written and reported. It felt a little like a rewritten magazine article at times but at other points appeared, at least, to contain original work from the authors.
But the authors maybe should have thought twice about publishing and profiting off some pretty gross criminal acts that even the perpetrator said multiple times he didn't want in the public eye.
Katie (wife of book)
This book is factual, concise and straightforward. It's perfect for anyone (like myself) who had no idea who Israel Keyes was or about the crimes he committed. There's no speculation or opinion from the author, but I'm sure there are other books that give you that. Devil in the Darkness simply tells the story of Keyes and his victims in a mostly linear way.
This book is a great reminder that there is rarely an Agatha-Christie-style tell-all monologue in real life. Keyes was very vocal about
Michelle Tackabery
Oct 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I can't recommend this book as it's basically a re-hash of media articles about Keyes' capture and interrogations while he was in federal custody awaiting trial for the murder of a young woman working at a coffee stand in Alaska. There should not be any spoilers here, but if you don't know anything about Keyes at all, this book will only give you a fantasy story, not fact. The investigations into Keyes' criminality is ongoing and it is too early to write "the true story" of him at this point. ...more
strangeclouds
If you like something more detailed than what a newspaper can offer then this is the right choice. There is an excessive amount of detail, sometimes makes me fast-pace just to quench the idea of finishing a book, literally finishing i mean...
On top of that, this book somehow makes me feel like the act of murder is heroized. I just feel like that; there is no word or sentence indicating/proving the author's intention or whatsoever like that. Just feel, and emotion is deceptive anyway.
berthamason
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The podcast 'True Crime Bullshit' is a better account of Keyes's life and crimes.
Alana Bookapillar
I’ve read a lot of True Crime books. This has to be one of the most boring and poorly written books I’ve read in this genre. Repetitive, disjointed, and dull- I found myself skimming after reading the same thing over and over, just phrased in a different ways. Disappointed and will be looking for another author who will cover this story in a more precise, non-repetitive and journalistic manner.
Elena
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book doesn't really add anything to the newer book by Maureen Callahan: American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century, which is better written, much better researched, less sensationalizing, and all around a better read. Don't bother with this book. Read Callahan's instead.
Robin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
No "WHY" answer

I dated this 3 stars because I thought that it would be more informative than watching the police interview. I was hoping that perhaps the author had discovered something in killer's last that was previously overlooked which led the killer down the path he chose. So, I was disappointed with that but on the whole of the book, it certainly proved that there are serial killers who are more intelligent and cunning than Bundy. I am especially grateful that he was captured because he
An Aussie Book Nerd
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kindle-books
Admittedly I judged this audiobook by its cover, not a fan of the coverwork. However, I haven't read anything about the serial killer so I went ahead and listened and boy am I glad I did!

The narrator was ok, not the best but not awful. The book content was fantastic. I felt the author did a thorough job but not so much so that it was boring. I've know Israel Keyes was a tool, but after listening to some of the transcript in the book, he was a massive egotistical narcassist, and most definitely
Carla
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, one scary guy. He was a rapist, arsonist, murderer and bank robber. It always surprises me that a killer can be so ordinary and those around him think he is a great guy and then find out he is a serial killer. Israel Keys was right up there with Bundy, methodical, no remorse, and planned each kill (even though he did not know who would be next) with precision. Devil in the Darkness takes you on a journey of when he started killing, on how he planned his kills, how he evaded the police for ...more
Samantha Mosedale
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A harrowing read not for the faint-hearted

I honestly recommend this book for fans of True Crime. It was set out perfectly, very detailed. You read about the murderer - Israel Keyes, his family and life in general. Then you learn about all the lovely people that he killed. The way that Keyes wickedly destroyed these lives without a second thought was just unbelievable. Unfortunately the murderer never got to The Death Chamber, he took the cowards way out and committed suicide. Now he will face a
Holly Hold
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Chris Smallwood
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Very well written. A great read for true crime enthusiasts. The depravity of Keyes is beyond words, but the author does a great job of keeping you interested in the crimes without throwing you head over heels into the sickening reality of it all. That must have been a terribly difficult tight rope to walk. The sadness of never knowing the true extent of Keyes' crimes is punctuated thoroughly. All victims in this book, and there are many, are well represented and the reader is left with
Christine Blake
A fairly straightforward narrative about Israel Keyes but I was disturbed by some of the details as presented here, not so much the description of the crimes which you would expect from a true-crime book, but the rather lurid details of what the victim was thinking and feeling leading up to and at the point of her murder. This is either entirely made up by the author or based on things Keyes himself said in interrogation. Either way, I found a man trying to get into the head of a young woman at ...more
Carl Deskins,III
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review of a true-life serial killer by a great author who is a lawyer and a professor!!!!

I find that the subjects of his writings is maybe susceptible to misinterpreting but the author tells the whole story that leaves the reader in a philosophical cloud , however, the author's final say in the book is conscientiously clear and legitimate and leaves the reader with a feeling of clarity!!!!!!! I would recommend this book to anyone that has a mysterious streak of adventure!!!
Alex
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It gives a good explanation of who Israel Keyes is, what he did, how he did it, how it ended, the behind the scenes of the investigation.

I hoped for something more akin to many books written on Ted Bundy, or other true crime books where it gets quite in depth about not just the crimes but the victims and the perpetrator. It’s kind of lacking in that aspect, it doesn’t feel near as comprehensive as other books on Serial Killers that I’ve read. You don’t really learn a whole lot about Keyes as
Harvey Smith
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting crime story/serial killer type book. Well written. A close look at perpetrators that are very random serial killers. Also a compassionate look at how his victims and their families fared.

Not wanting to give away the ending of the book, but the perpetrator turned out to be a coward.
Pamela Walter
The writing was very disjointed, e.g. on one page the criminal was married, but on the next he was not married. There was no indication the narrative was going back in time. The writing style was inconsistent with part of the story written almost like a list of facts, as in a police report. It was relatively short, so I was able to get through it, but I did not feel it was worth the read.
Terry Johnson
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific detailing of a horrible killer

JT Hunter has written an appropriately horrifying book about a detestable man, who killed for the hell of it. The random nature of Israel Keyes’ decisions about victims and fates should give great pause to anyone who thinks “it could never happen to me.” Evil is alive and well, and it could happen to any of us.
CaryAnne Goodwin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe I misunderstood

For me the previous reviews and explanation mislead me into this book. Unfortunately the narrator made it very difficult for me. I was pretty far along before I realized he was telling the story. Just disappointing for me.
Nancy L. Raeuchle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for true crime enthusiastsll

Amazing well written book! Strangely I could not put it down and may God bless everyone that had contact with this monster I must mention how the author must have spent hours on end putting this together Brilliant!!!
Bonnie
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Frightening

A very thought provoking book. I couldn't put it down. It was interesting and frightening to learn about this killer, his life and those people he affected. I feel for those who lost their loved ones.
E.G. Deaile
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on the grief felt by the east coast community affected by Israel's crimes.

The middle story about Israel himself does not change much, but the perspective here illuminates parts I've seen overlooked in other material on the subject.
Linda Garcia
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well researched and written. I’m a true crime buff and already know a lot on the background of the books that I read. This book had so much information that I didn’t know. This guy was a monster and I’m glad he’s no longer walking the earth
Abigail
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely pissed me off but this was an amazing

Nothing more to say than read this book and you will be challenged mentally. You might vomit but still heck of good book!
Brenda Greenlaw
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Serial Killer Israel Keyes

If you like true crime this is a good read. The only thing is that there is no information on most of his murders. He wouldn’t tell. Scary
Steve Parcell
Fairly interesting although a little confused. It jumps between being told through the eyes of the killer to a biographical account. This does reduce tension and make it disjointed.

• American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • Lethal Guardian
  • Obeying Evil: The Mockingbird Hill Massacre Through the Eyes of a Killer (True Crime)
  • Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • You Think You Know Me: The True Story of Herb Baumeister and the Horror at Fox Hollow Farm (True Crime)
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • A City Owned (Murder by Increments, #1)
  • No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • Buried Beneath the Boarding House: A Shocking True Story of Deception, Exploitation and Murder (True Crime)
  • Applied Electromagnetism (Chemistry Lessons, #4)
  • Sinclair: The World's End Murders Through the Eyes of a Killer (True Crime)
  • Kill 'Em All: A True Story of Abuse, Revenge and the Making of a Monster (True Crime)
  • Whiteout (Survival Instincts, #1)
  • Above Suspicion
  • Similar Transactions: A True Story
  • A Descent Into Hell
  • Blind Rage: A True Story of Sin, Sex, and Murder in a Small Arkansas Town
J.T. Hunter is an attorney with over fourteen years of experience practicing law, including criminal law and appeals, and he has significant training in criminal investigation techniques. He is also a college professor in Florida where his teaching interests focus on the intersection of criminal psychology, law, and literature.

JT's bestselling true crime books include:

Devil in The Darkness: True
“I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright, Who art as black as hell, as dark as night” Shakespeare -- Sonnet CXLVII” 1 likes