Start by marking “Out and In” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Out and In

A romp through the worlds of Dallas arts society and NFL football.

Society beauty and amateur cellist Marie Donovan is in deep trouble after her Super Bowl-winning husband sails off a Dallas high rise...many say in shame after his investment scheme implodes. Just months later, Marie’s shock turns to terror when she’s charged with murdering a lecherous opera maestro. Evidenc
ebook
Published April 26th 2016 by A.M. Chai Literary

To ask other readers questions about Out and In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out and In

Linda
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book it was a good read. The characters were well built by the author. An interesting combination of the opera scene with the NFL league as the setting for the story. A real page turner that kept you reading to find the real killer. It was filled with twist to the end. Looking forward to Ms. Evan's next one.
Marilyn Davis Rabkin
Just finished reading "Out and In" by Pat Dunlap Evans. Loved the characters in this book especially Marie and the fluid story line. From Dallas high society to the banking world of the Seychelles to a dysfunctional family, it was a good read. Usually, I can figure out "who done it" but this book kept me guessing.
Mike
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out and In combines a highly unique set of elements into an engaging story! We have some ex-pro football players, a clique of snobby, rich women who control the Dallas opera scene, a murdered maestro, a gay bar, a major investment fail, and a sleazy columnist who publicizes all of it!

Seriously, have you ever read a story with such a wide range of plot points? Yet this story has it, and Pat Dunlap Evans nicely puts all of them together into a tale that remains mysterious until the very end.

If you
Ruthie Jones
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out and In hits the ground at a full gallop, brimming with murder, gossip, self-centered and entitled characters, and more than enough drama to go around. Accused of a brutal murder, Marie Donovan starts off as one of those self-centered and entitled characters, but as we get to know her better, she becomes a bit more likable with each passing page. She's flawed, she's made tons of mistakes, and she hasn't guided her grown twin sons as she should have over the years. But is she a murderer? Is sh ...more
Lorilei Gonzales
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have never felt such mixed emotions about a book before. I think that almost every element of this book - the setting, the plot, the characters - evoked feelings from opposite poles within myself. Take the setting: I hate Dallas; but I love the fine arts scene. Like Marie, I play the cello and love the human voice quality of it. Unlike Marie, I couldn't imagine playing my instrument naked. I don't love it that much. The plot: I really liked the mystery side of this book. Some authors hit you o ...more
Steve Bender
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this ebook in a Goodreads Giveaway. It was a mystery with dark overtones. It kept me guessing. A pretty damning peek at NFL culture.
Tiffany
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Flowed nicely definitely kept you on your toes to who actually committed the murder. The lead character was also a perfect blend of hard and soft. A great read.
Kristine Hall
From the very first lines of Out and In, readers know that main character Marie is a pragmatic, logical, and sarcastic soul. The narration is often from Marie's point-of-view, with Marie speaking directly to the reader. This approach results in a feeling that the reader is a friend -- but interestingly, not necessarily a trusted one. The narration style is only one of many aspects of the book that makes Out and In a truly unique and engaging story.

Author Pat Dunlap Evans fleshes-out some memora
Amy Ingalls
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a giveaway. I enjoyed the story, even though I figured out who did it quite early on. There were a lot of characters to juggle, but I liked that. There were some typos, not too bad, but the book could definitely have used some more editing. In chapter 27 there are 3 mentions of a Judy. Judy doesn't exist. I think Judy is Lena-- maybe the author changed the character's name and it got missed in editing. It wasn't too big a deal, but I did spend a few minutes going back over the ...more
Robin
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first part of the story - the murder trial, but then the going to the foreign islands and the trouble that ensues just seemed a bit much and added just to make the book longer. I really liked the characters.
Patricia Mccammon
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. An engaging story complete with a Ponzi scheme, a murder and the sniping of some weathly opera fans.
Stephen P. Richard
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the way Pat writes! Catches you from the start and keeps you entertained until the very end. A twist here, a turn there... Keeps you guessing!! Seems like she's lived the life. How bizarre; the world of football meets the world of opera. Couldn't put it down. Read it in one sitting!!
Reed L Bates
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted Excitement at the Opera -- I loved it! I didn't want to put it down and kept thinking about it when I couldn't read it, like at work. Very well thought out, and fun. I could even see the characters on the screen, so it could be a movie, too.
Margaret Dydek
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out and In

Excellent character development. Several twists and turns in the story. It keeps your attention from the first page. Great Read!
LILY
Melissa Cheresnick
Aug 09, 2018
Clipinchick
May 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the author/publisher in response for an honest review of the book. I have not had the opportunity to read this book at this time. I will add my
review of this book once I have read the book. Thank k you for allowing me the optometrist review your work. I look forward to reading this book.
Richard Tutt
Jennifer Legler
Feb 17, 2018
Anne Duryee
Oct 06, 2016
Pat Dunlap Evans was born in Michigan but “got to Texas as soon as I could.” Her family lived in San Antonio and Dallas, where she attended South Oak Cliff High School and Southern Methodist University, eventually completing her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English at University of Missouri, Kansas City. After college, Pat stressed her way through twenty-five years of various advertising and ...more