Start by marking “City of Hope and Ruin” as Want to Read:
City of Hope and Ruin

City of Hope and Ruin

Every night the monsters hunt.

A city that is the whole world: Theosophy and her companions in the City militia do their best to protect the civilians from the monsters, but they keep crawling from the Rift and there’s nowhere to run. Theosophy knows she’ll die fighting. It’s the best kind of death she’s seen, and at least she can save lives in the meantime.

They say the Sca
Published May 11th 2016 by Turtleduck Press

To ask other readers questions about City of Hope and Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Hope and Ruin

DeAnna Knippling
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Total page turner. Finished this in two sittings.

A portal fantasy between two different flavors of fantasy world, each with its own culture, magic, monsters, etc.

In the interests of not spoiling things on a new book, please just note that there are MANY clever elements that I am not bringing up. You start reading the book because it's so smooth and the worlds and characters are interesting, but you continue because of the twists, both in plot and character development.
Kit Dunsmore
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This unusual post-apocalyptic story is about two women living in separate worlds who are worried about protecting those around them from the attacks of others. Theo is a warrior trained to fight the monsters who come through the Rift every night to hunt humans. Bree is a healer who is trying to find a way to get her brother and his family to move with her to some place where they will be safe from the violent Scarred. When a device Theo finds enables the two women to meet and talk, the informati ...more
Daniela W
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: do-read
This is a very interesting story idea and as a cherry on top you'll get a f/f pairing and a genderqueer side character as well. Yay!

City of hope and ruin jumps right into the story and at first I was a little bit confused (there are some magical crystals and they... do stuff?). So more worldbuilding would be great. But I found my way into it and both worlds are really different from each other and really interesting as well.

I came to like both Briony and Theosophy on their own, their relationshi
Craig Saunders
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Not my usual fare, and not typical swords & sorcery type of fantasy. The authors were ambitious and carried off most of what they set out to do admirably. It's a book that will help fill some real voids in the fantasy genre. I did struggle a bit with the opening - particularly with the character names - but once past that, it was engaging, lively and had enough suspense to keep me reading through to the end.

Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Mieka
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book with captivating characters. I want to read more stories in this world they've created. I also applaud the way gender and sexuality are dealt with in the novel. An androgynous character and same sex relationships are introduced without fanfare. They are dealt with as a normal part of life which I wish was how more authors would do it.

Bravo!!
Jonathan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
i received a free copy from the group shut and read in exchange for an honest review. let me start by saying i am not a huge fan of bad language in fantasy books. so it was a bit off putting at times. The story line was good and action packed from start to finish. which is why i stuck with it too the end. thanks to the author for providing the group with a review copy.
Olivia Helling
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
After generations of struggle against monsters, soldier Theosophy discovers a world outside their City dimension — and an alluring but naive girl she meets there could save them all.

This LGBT fantasy took me two tries to get into, but that’s nothing against the story. I wasn’t in the right mood the first time. I particularly enjoyed how both protagonists are so driven and certain of themselves, yet naive in their own ways (a perfect example of new adult characters), although I still question jus
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

I'm having trouble writing my own blurby bit for this, its not making sense or giving too much away, so I'm jumping straight in to my review.

I am, for the most part, NOT a young adult reader. Had this book come with that tag, I will have undoubtedly said no thank you. But it didn't, and I am so glad of that fact! And I'm classing it as upper young adult, 15 plus. I'd let my 15 year old daughter read this. There is some
Liz Gavin
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5**** Not your usual fantasy read - much better than that.

For starters, I’d like to say I love reading fantasy books but I avoid YA as much as I can. In this case, I wasn’t aware City of Hope and Ruin was a Young Adult title because it’s not described as such in the blurb and it’s not placed in that Amazon category. However, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and that’s why I wanted to make my aversion to YA clear from the beginning. This is a very good book regardless of genres.
I don’t l
Karen Siddall
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theo lives to protect her people from hellish monsters that sweep over her city each night when the sun goes down. She leads a trio of fighters on patrol to seek out and destroy them or be destroyed. Theo is the longest serving fighter on duty and has had numerous trio members wiped out by the creatures.

Briony is a healer in her village which lies near the border of her country and that under the control of the vicious Scarred. As the Scarred invade closer and closer, Briony is desperate to get
Jay Freeman
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book pick you up and runs with you at full speed, drawing you in with each step until then end. It feels like an old friend, whereas you feel comfortable within it's pages from the very start yet saddened when it ends.

The story is gripping and never fails to deliver, and no point through the book did I feel like putting it down and going to visit the outside world. The characters are easy to like and love, and the setting is exciting.

A very enjoyable book all round. I would recommend this t
Louise
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a really enjoyable read and I hope that there are plans for future instalments. Loved the characters, their relationships and the world(s) they inhabit. Magic and Monsters. Awesome. I would have liked to know more about the monsters, how and why they inhabit the City.
All in all, a solid start.
Sunny
Aug 20, 2017
Jen
Oct 12, 2018
Lara  (SapphicBookClub)
Definitely not one of my favorites and honestly I can't believe two people worked on the book and it still turned out to like this.

A quick summary because the whole book doesn’t explain a single thing and you have no idea what is happening (and not in the fun way). So you have Theosophony, a female warrior who lives in the City that is sort of a dystopian setting, and she fights monsters that come from another dimension. I think. We also have Briony, a girl who lives in sort of a fantasy settin
David Roos
Patrick Siu
Kim hansen
  • White Nights, Black Paradise
  • My Love at Last
  • Living Dangerously (Adrenaline Highs, #4)
  • Reign of Evil (SEAL Team 666 #3)
  • Summer Love (Senior Year #1)
  • Fearsome Magics
  • The Divide Book 1: Uprising
  • Palace of the Twelve Pillars (Palace of the Twelve Pillars #1)
  • Viral Airwaves (Viral Airwaves, #1)
  • Moonstruck #1
  • Unpredictable Love (Shades of Love, TRUST Series #6)
  • Daniel & Erik’s Super Fab Ultimate Wedding Checklist
  • Bound to Survive (The Magic Within, #1)
  • Kiss me, Chloe
  • Shatterproof
  • The Skeptical Believer: Telling Stories to Your Inner Atheist
  • Dead in the Garden (Grasmere Cottage Mystery #1)
  • How to Find God's Will
Kit Campbell has never met a mythology she hasn’t liked. This sometimes leads to issues, such as the occasional Norse God of Thunder showing up in the Garden of Eden. She adores weaving in the possibilities forgotten magic can bring to a story, and enjoys making up new creatures, such as large, venomous monsters that hunt in packs.

Kit’s stories have been published in half-a-dozen anthologies, and