Start by marking “Rusty Hinges (Metal Boxes #3)” as Want to Read:
Rusty Hinges (Metal Boxes #3)

Rusty Hinges

(Metal Boxes #3)

Stone’s fist, secure in the combat suit and hidden by camouflage, impacted the Hyrocanian mouth before it closed around the baby. Stone grabbed the helpless piglet with his free hand and tossed it to a startled female. The piglet, the last of her kind on the delivery shuttle, grabbed the baby and ran.

Stone twisted his fist, trying his best to break every tooth in the Hyro
Published April 28th 2016 by CreateSpace

Start your review of Rusty Hinges (Metal Boxes #3)
Dianne
Who says Science fiction can't be fun? Leave it to Alan Black to break another perceived mold in the science fiction genre. Metal Boxes - Rusty Hinges is one more notch on Mr. Black’s pen as he takes us back into deep space and into the constant turmoil that surrounds young Blackmon Perry Stone, heir to a fortune, heir to power and currently the mother to two Drascos and Governor of his own planet.

Once again, things will change for Stone, as he is placed back on active duty in the navy and must
Strina K
Unrated because most of the book was fine, but it also introduced what was, as far as I remember, the first gay character in the series and made him xenophobic, elitist, petty, incompetent, cowardly, and basically the worst person in the book who does not ACTUALLY eat other sentient beings. Like, actual sociopathic murderers have been portrayed more flatteringly in this series. What.
Aleea J. Brewer
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love Metal Boxes

No spoilers here. Love Shorty and Sissie, waiting for more from their points of view. The drascos are superb and their interactions with the piglets can teach us all to get along. I want more please.
Tony Hinde
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first two. Stone doesn't develop much, as a character, and the two allied alien races are normalized very quickly. I was also disappointed that one of the major battles happened "off-screen." I think Hammer's shoulders are broad enough to carry the POV.

The Piggies, while clearly more intelligent than humans, are portrayed as emotionally childlike, with some exceptions. They're sort of a cross between Niven's Moties and Piper's Fuzzies. I'm a little disappointed that the author
Wanda binz
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story

This is a keeper just read it for the second time. The next book in the series is supposed to be out soon so I wanted to refresh my memory and have as much fun as the last time I read it. ENJOY
GREGG  CORDELL
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another Good Read

This is the third book in the Metal Boxes series. This is the Rusty Hinges and this was a good name for the book because we find out that someone else might be building a lot of the things that the aliens use . The four arm freaks that is, if you read carefully and I hope this isn't a spoiler for anyone but Stone said the design of certain things made no sense the way that they were being used by the aliens and it was more like a human design . That makes me think back to the gu
Josh
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Okay, this man has to stop this. I have read several of his stories and I always feel like just after a chapter or two that I know so much about the world the story takes place. No giant info dump, no need for huge index. Those have their place in several great books. But Mr. Black just has a way of making each story self contained. And each little universe has nothing to do (so far) with the others. Giving you able opportunity to find your favorite characters and settings.
defenbaker
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoy this series

I have read most works by this author through KU and have enjoyed them. This series makes me chuckle while reading because of all the things going on. If you haven't read this series yet, you are lucky to have the chance to read 3 in a row. I unfortunately have to wait for the next one.
John
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lousiest book I ever loved

The science just.... isn't, the action probabilities are completely ridiculous, and the cultural melding so harmonious that this book is a complete insult to any rational reader. It was great! Seriously, who actually needs cotton candy or high end fresh warm cinnamon rolls? Oh, wait.... Maybe it wasn't really quite that bad.
Mark Zodda
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably the slowest moving and least engaging of the three books I've read so far in the series. The ending seemed rushed and did not seem to be as in tune with the setting created over the course of the previous books. That might get explained in the fourth book, which I'm looking forward to reading.
Jessica Roberts
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Long live the drascos!!!!

In this latest installment of the career of Ensign Stone the Drascos and their daughters grow up, the piglet allies come through, and oh my, the bad guys get it!! Fast paced and fun, I highly recommend this series.
Nicholas Kropp II
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A solid addition to the series

Not much new in this book, but a lot more action and development from the second book. If you liked the first two books this should be a good read for you.
laeaurra flamehawk-mitchell
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love them piggies

These keep getting better and better. Lots of action. aliens, giant angry birds. Impossible missions. These get more fun with gratuitous violence against ugly people eaters.
ROBERT BALISH
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can only guess what's next and looking forward to the next installment.

Love this series and would like to see other story arcs continued. I'm glad I found Alan Blacks books and am a fan now.
Jonathan Reskof
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rusty

This was a very entertaining and more complex story than its predecessors. It was true to its characters and expanded the roles and importance of its secondary characters in very interesting ways. I highly recommend this book.
Anna
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Read SF

Excellent book enjoyed it from beginning to end. I lost a lot of sleep with this third installment. I'm not sure I want it to end.
Roy Mitchell
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun romp!

No body does a better job in the world of outlandish SF than Alan Black,
While fun to read there is a message to everything .
Peter
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very nice

Hard book to put down, well worth reading and pulls you into the story, will recommend this book to any science fiction reader
Glen Larned
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series! Keep up the good work!
Kian
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
love it.
Wilco Roos
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Arg, finished it, i want more!
Jesse Deleon
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars for great reading fun.

Book 3 Rusty Hinges gets my 5 Stars for great reading fun and I love it. Yet, again Alan Black series has me stay up late.
Dan Donovan
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simple and fun

The Metal Boxes series is just good simple SciFy fun. Nothing mind bendingly brilliant nor new but is simple action filled adventure. Good brain candy.
Vivgabriola
May 26, 2016
Lauren M Laboe
Oct 23, 2016
Andrew Reay
Aug 04, 2019
Frederick Carl
rated it did not like it
Dec 01, 2016
stephen sievers
May 24, 2016
John Buttolph
May 08, 2016
Roxann L
Apr 30, 2018
drasco names 1 3 Jun 22, 2017 09:13PM

• Shadow Sun Expansion (Shadow Sun, #2)
  • Redeemer of the Dead (The System Apocalypse #2)
  • Dungeon Eternium (The Divine Dungeon, #5)
  • Life in the North (The System Apocalypse #1)
  • Shadow Sun Progression (Shadow Sun, #4)
  • The Airship (A Futuristic Dungeon Core: The Laboratory, #2)
  • Traveling the Dungeon (Dungeon Travels Book 2)
  • Through the Belly of the Beast (Underworld, #2)
  • Level Up or Die! (Underworld #1)
  • Shadow Sun Rebellion (Shadow Sun, #3)
  • Sense (A Touch of Power Book 3)
  • The Laboratory (A Futuristic Dungeon Core: The Laboratory, #1)
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)
  • One More Last Time (The Good Guys, #1)
  • The Station Core (Station Cores, #1)
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Transporter (Ell Donsaii, #16)
  • Vainqueur the Dragon
Author of
sci/fi
Christian/Historical Fiction
Action/Humor
Western

Metal Boxes (4 books)
  • Metal Boxes (Metal Boxes #1)
  • Trapped Outside (Metal Boxes #2)
  • At the Edge (Metal Boxes #4)

News & Interviews