Start by marking “Tuesday [With Frog]” as Want to Read:
Tuesday [With Frog]

Tuesday [With Frog]

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  21,861 Ratings  ·  1,625 Reviews
The unpredictable events of a particular Tuesday unroll before the reader with the precision and clarity of a silent movie. A Caldecott Medal book.
Published April 4th 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday [With Frog], please sign up.

Christine Pregler This book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: …moreThis book would be available at any local library. Houghton Mifflin has a page on their site dedicated to this book you may find of interest: http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/a...# (less)

Mischenko
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To see this week's Wordless Picture Books, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com by clicking HERE

David Wiesner is a favorite as you know from some of my previous reviews. He never ceases to amaze me and this book is such a beautiful and magical addition to our collection.

The story begins in the early evening on a Tuesday and all is quiet at the pond. All of a sudden, the frogs begin to levitate on their lily pads and travel into a nearby town. They visit a woman watching TV, a man having a sn
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Such a delightfully enchanting picture book! We read a LOT of picture books when my kids were younger, but this one about frogs magically flying around town on their lily pads one fateful night was a favorite. I'm pretty certain we checked it out of the library multiple times.

description

description

Flying frogs FTW! All the stars!!
Ronyell
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“Tuesday” is a Caldecott Award winning book from the creative mind of David Wiesner and is about how some seemingly ordinary frogs from a pond go on a magical adventure throughout the city. David Wiesner’s story of a magic along with his beautiful illustrations makes “Tuesday” a mesmerizing book for children.

David Wiesner has done it again with creating a wordless book that tells its story through his illustrations. David Wiesner’s story is interesting as the only words that he uses in this boo
Laima
There are no words in this picture book; only gorgeous whimsical illustrations of ... flying frogs!!
It is no wonder that this book is a Caldecott Medal winner. This is another outstanding children's book by the incredibly talented David Wiesner. I want to read all of his work!!
Lisa Vegan
I guess I’m pretty much alone here: The artwork, as usual, is wonderful, but I found this story slightly creepy. Am I missing something special that I simply didn’t get? I wonder.

I adored Flotsam and I really enjoyed Free Fall, but this one didn’t wow me. However, I’ll happily read all his current and any future books because I do think he’s really talented and I predict that I’ll enjoy most of his books.
Kathryn
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great deal of fun and so creative! I loved the humor and the adventures the frogs got into. The expressions (on frogs and people) are so spot-on and made me giggle. A very fun adventure. Wish there was a sequel giving us the adventure hinted at on the last page! :-)
Manybooks
Fun, mysterious, with expressive, gorgeous illustrations (and more than well deserving of its Caldecott Medal award), David Wiesner's Tuesday actually made me laugh out loud more than a few times (I just LOVE the scene with the white laundry sheets and that the rambunctious dog so bent on chasing the poor flying frogs so completely has the tables tuned). And although my logical, analytical self would perhaps have appreciated additional information or an explanation as to why the frogs (and then ...more
Arielle Walker
Gorgeously surreal.
Daniel
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Tuesday
Author: David Wiesner
Publisher: Clarion Books, 32 pp, 1991
Format: Picture Book (wordless story)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Tuesday is a wordless picture book that vividly depicts strange events that happened at various times of the day on Tuesday.
Personal Review:
For a picture book that has relatively few or no words at all, the illustrations are the only thing that drives the story. Tuesday has illustrations that are lively and vivid. With nothing really
Lara's
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and children 4yrs and up.
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : The events recorded here are verified by an undisclosed source to have happened somewhere, U.S.A.. on Tuesday. All those in doubt are reminded that there is always another Tuesday.
Review : This is a book that truly illustrates how a pictures can be worth a thousand words. The beauty of these illustrations, paired with the fun and humor of frogs flying through the night on magical lily pads is just a gift from Mr. Weisner that everyone who is lucky enough to pick up this book will un
Dolly
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book has fantastic illustrations, but an odd "story". My kids liked it a lot and I liked the surrealism. We will certainly look for more books by this author.

This book was selected as one of the books for the July 2016- Quarterly Caldecott discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Kathryn
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-boys
We read this sometime last year and enjoyed it but did not fall in love with it. Really, we had sort of forgotten about it, which turned out to be quite wonderful, as I would probably not have picked up Flotsam otherwise. Tuesday is odd, certainly a compliment, but my kids did not warm to it as much as I had hoped for a wordless picture book full of original and interesting pictures.
Qt
Strange and surreal, with a little humor and a bit of eerieness as well--quite intriguing!
اليازية خليفة
من أوائل الكتب المصنفة (ككتب بلا كلمات) التي اطلعت عليها وشغفتني بفكرتها.
من أحب الأعمال التي مرت علي، وارتقت بعمليتي التفكير والخيال عندي!
Ray
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-book
best kids book ever.
Josh
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tuesday by David Wiesner takes place on (you guessed it) a Tuesday; to be more exact, on a Tuesday evening around eight. At around that time, an unknown force rises all the frogs on lily pads, from a swamp, into the air and takes them around a nearby town for a joy ride. Their adventure, through the town’s suburban neighborhoods, lasts all Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning.
The first thing that caught my eyes were the very detailed illustrations in the book. No illustration left a lack lu
Athena
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very peculiar book. What attracted me to this book was the cover; it's beautiful, one of the best I've seen, but the story was a bit strange. I prefer more more words I guess.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Lucas loves this book. So creative and beautiful illustrations.
Rachel Kinney
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
I chose this story for one of the illustrator project books. This story takes place on Tuesday night when frogs fly on lily pads throughout the town. They make all sorts of messes all over the town and then the next morning they hop back into the pond and leave the police and investigators to make heads or tails of what happened the night before. Then the next Tuesday, there will be pigs flying through the sky. I love the creativity in this story. David Wiesner's favorite thought while creating ...more
Katie Carson
One of my favorite parts about this book is the interaction between the frogs and the other animals. A few pages in, we see the contrast of the birds sitting stationary on the telephone wires, while the frogs fly about on their lilypads. At the far right of the page, we see a frog excitedly chasing a bird, who looks very frightened by the frog clapping his hands behind him.
At the old lady's house, we can see a white cat timidly peering our from behind a door and the frogs who have taken over th
L12_luisespinoza Espinoza
This Caldecott Medal winning book by David Wiesner is yet another example of his creative, beautifully illustrated picture books. This book has managed to tell a story without words through highly imaginative illustrations.

Every Tuesday evening around eight o'clock, something magical happens. This Tuesday evening, frogs from a pond start to fly on their lily pads throughout the city. The illustrations show the frogs flying over houses, into houses (where they play around with a TV remote control
Heidi-Marie
I loved this one! Absolutely fantastic. I would have been laughing a lot more (and a lot louder) if I hadn't been on the desk at work. This is a great one for imaginations. Hardly any text, which would make it enjoyable for those who haven't yet begun to read. There is plenty in the pictures to keep anyone of any age entertained. And I could just imagine my sister reading this one--with all of her inclusions of sound effects and non-existing thought bubbles. Definitely one I want to add to my pe ...more
Krista
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-class
One of the best books I have ever read! Oh wait, did I say read? One of the best books I ever did CREATE a story for! Yup, you heard me correctly, the READER gets to create the story! The author David Wiesner creates story boards of beautiful illustrations in which the reader gets to decide the story through a wordless book. These story boards are magical, literally. In the book Tuesday, frogs are on a late night adventure with their flying lily pads. They soar through neighborhoods having wonde ...more
Johanna Perez
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Tuesday by David Wiesner to be a unique book. The illustrations are extremely fascinating. Fogs floating on lily pads and pigs flying are enough to get one's attention. But what pulled me in was the color choice for the illustration. The cool greens and blues and purple tones gave the books a sense of magic, enough to get anyone’s creativity running, and then there was the true to life images. A man sitting at a kitchen table and police investigating, these scenes with realistic colors, ...more
Stephanie
Our local library has, in the kids' section, several shelves that are devoted to Caldecott and Newberry award winners, which makes it easy to choose books for my daughter. I chose Tuesday, by David Wiesner, because it is a Caldecott winner and because it had been recommended to me by some people in a choral group I used to sing with. I was really underwhelmed.

The book has beautiful, incredibly vivid pictures, but what bothers me about the book is that there is no story -- no plot. And when I sa
Ch_hayley Medsker
Tuesday by David Wiesner is for an imaginative audience. The journey begins on Tuesday evening at 8pm, where a few frogs begin to take flight upon their lily pads. The adventurous group of frogs grows in number as they travel through yards, surprising unexpecting dogs, past windows, confusing late night eaters, and through homes, sailing past clueless and asleep citizens. The exhilirating thrill ride ends at day break, when the frogs are back in their respective ponds, leaving little clues behin ...more
Linda Lipko
Whimsical, imaginative and highly creative, Wiesner tells a tale in images with very sparse text, used only to designate the time frame of the magical event.

Long about Tuesday, round eight, the frogs magically float and fly on their lilly pads.

Large in size, some have serious expressions, while others show glee at their new found abilities.

More than a tad mischievous, they swoop down on laundry hanging on the wash line, chase and scare the bejesus out of a dog, chasing him throughout town.

In sho
Wendy Williams
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I had to buy this book when I previewed a page containing a happy frog flying nearly upside down on a lily pad. It was just too much fun to pass up.

A nearly wordless picturebook, Tuesday is charming and funny, detailing the craziness that frogs just might get up to on a Tuesday night. Hovering on their magical lily pads, they peer into a kitchen window at a man having a snack, sneak into a woman's house and watch her TV while she is sleeping, and chase a dog named Rusty after he pursued
Tatiana
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st-3rd grade
Shelves: picture-books
Forget pigs! Have you ever wondered what would happen when frogs fly? Tuesday answers that question—sort of.

Wordless picture books, or nearly wordless as the case is for David Wiesner’s well-known Caldecott Medal winner, leave a lot to speculation. Why, on a Tuesday night, are frogs able to fly around town on their lily pads, dropping in on unsuspecting, bleary-eyed humans and perturbed canines? There are dozens of explanations, none of which are confirmed, which is the magic of the tale. It is
Sarah Sammis
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading David Wiesner's books the one title universally recommended was Tuesday. I have finally taken that advice to heart and read the book.

David Wiesner specializes in wordless picture books. In this one, the only word used (and it's used sparingly) is Tuesday as a reminder that all the events are taking place on a Tuesday night.

Those events involve frogs flying through the town and countryside on lily pads. The illustrations are Wiesner's usual wonderful surrealism. The pallet
  • Time Flies
  • The Red Book
  • Hey, Al
  • Smoky Night
  • Black and White
  • The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
  • The Lion and the Mouse
  • The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
  • So You Want to Be President?
  • Golem
  • Chalk
  • Shadow
  • One Fine Day
  • Many Moons
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre
More about David Wiesner...