Start by marking “O Diabo dos Números” as Want to Read:
O Diabo dos Números

O Diabo dos Números

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  4,192 Ratings  ·  502 Reviews
Roberto, um rapazinho de onze anos, não gosta de Matemática porque não compreende nada nas aulas. Porém, uma noite, começa a sonhar com um diabinho que se dispõe a iniciá-lo na ciência dos números.
Durante doze noites, Roberto vai aprender os segredos e os mistérios dos números, numa divertida e instrutiva viagem ao País das Matemáticas.
Tudo se torna então tão fácil que Ro
Paperback, Large print, 266 pages
Published November 1998 by Edições ASA (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about O Diabo dos Números, please sign up.

Hinote I've only read this in german, but I'll try to explain in english. Robert is a boy who doesn't like math. He also has nightmares very frequently. One…moreI've only read this in german, but I'll try to explain in english. Robert is a boy who doesn't like math. He also has nightmares very frequently. One night, in his dream, he meets someone introducing himself as the Number Devil who wants to tell him about math. For twelve nights, they meet in dreems and discuss different kinds of numbers.
The first few dreams include a lot of 'Stop it!'-yelling from Robert and some angry fits from the Number Devil. They grow accustomed over the course of the book.
The book has a plot, but I think it's rather meant to get you thinking as a reader. It points out funny ways numbers act sometimes. (less)

Elaine
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2012, children
I love the idea of a novel that relies on and promotes interest in math, but the execution here just fell way short for me. The story itself - that a boy who hates math learns to like it through a series of dreams in which he interacts with a Number Devil - is a little thin and repetitive. But what I found bothered me the most were the explanations of the math concepts. I've seen some great nonfiction books that make math concepts interesting AND explain them in multiple ways for students who ca ...more
lorinbocol
letto perché di me si potesse dire: nulla lasciò intentato.
peccato per il corollario: ogni tentativo fu vano.
Lance Greenfield
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-reads
This book makes maths fun, even for those little people who believe it to be a laborious trudge through treacle. In fact, that would describe Robert, the main character in this book. He has been struggling with maths for as long as he can remember. One night, he dreams that he meets a little devil, The Number Devil, who teaches him, as he sleeps, all sorts of useful tricks with numbers.

When you enjoy something, and gain immediate benefit, you obviously learn more.

My Dad made all aspects of mathe
David Madrigal
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was by far the most interesting book I have read in years. I found it really interesting as the concepts in mathematics were very interesting, yet explained in simple terms. (view spoiler) ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Random math thinly disguised as a novel. I get what it's trying to do but it feels more like the kind of characters that kids' textbooks have to make the info more "fun." there isn't a plot here. But if it gets kid's reading about math then go go go. Plus, the illustrations are really cute.
Tung
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Imagine that a math teacher wanted to write a children's book to show kids how cool math really was; but since it's a math teacher and not an English teacher doing the writing, all you end up with are math concepts written out in analogies similar to what you'd hear in a math classroom -- that's what this book is like. The story is about a boy named Robert who hates his math class and math teacher and by extension math in general. He falls asleep and over a series of twelve different dreams over ...more
Jose Moa
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics, science
This book told as a 12 nights dream of a child with a mathematical devil is a serious attempt to prove that mathematics can be entertaining,interesting,beautiful and fun and not a boring,useless,ugly and hermetic subject.

It is aimed mainly to young teens,but is also enjoyable by adults that for some reason hate the maths or have a wrong concept of this field.

Is a tale where departing of elemental concepts as natural numbers,prime numbers,powers and square roots introduce more advanced concepts a
Bradman
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maths, 2015, fantasy, favorites
Great book.

It talks about maths in a way that is as simple as 1+1=2.
I was way behind in maths going into high school, and I have learnt so much from this book in 1-2 months.
I learnt stuff like Fractions, Bonacci/Fibonacci numbers, Decimals, Factorial (Vroom!), Hopping numbers, Prima Donnas, and Triangle numbers.

My favorite was the "Hopping Numbers". I spent a good part of a day just writing them all down. I wrote down 55 hopping numbers, and the biggest one I did was 18,014,398,509,481,984, whic
José Luis
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

No creo que leer El diablo de los libros pueda hacer que un niño al que no le gusten las matemáticas empieza a apreciarlas, pero estoy convencido de que no era esa la intención del autor al escribir el libro, sino más bien crear una historia entretenida con las matemáticas como hilo argumental en la que se nos muestran curiosidades y aspectos llamativos de las mismas que puedan despertar posteriormente el interés de los chavales.

Me ha resultado muy curiosa
أحمد جابر
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german-library

هذا كتاب لطيف خفيف وأحببته حقاً.

العفرتة إن كانت فستكون في الرياضيات، كتاب يحرّك العقل بسحر الأرقام.
قصة روبرت مع عفريت الأرقام الذي يحبّب له مادة الرياضيات بطرقه العجائبية.

مجرد عمليات حسابية بسيطة ستقودك إلى عوالم داخل الأرقام تجعلك تدور وتدور وتدور.

أراه متوسط الجودة للأطفال، وفائق الروعة لمن هم على الأقل يحبون الرياضيات ولو من بعيد.
بالنسبة لي، استمتعت بكل جزئية فيه، وعلمت أشياء لم أكن أعرفها قبل قراءتي للكتاب رغم ممارساتي وحبي للرياضيات، والحساب
Dany Hdz
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was interestingly cute... like if you took math class in Wonderland or if you studied math on drugs, or something, but I cannot deny it was great.

Honestly, I don’t think this book will make you better at math, however it may help you understand some complex theoretical concepts, since it doesn’t focus in the applied mathematics, but rather in the pure theory behind them.

The narration is fantastic and creative, and in fact, pretty attractive. Besides, the pictures and dares really co
Anne Hamilton
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...But as he stood in front of his mirror in his pajamas, brushing his teeth, he felt something tickling his chest and looked down to see a tiny five-pointed star on a thin golden chain. He couldn't believe his eyes. This time his dream had come true! ...After he'd dressed, he took the chain off and stuck it in his pocket: he didn't want his mother asking silly questions. ...Where'd that star come from? she'd want to know the minute she saw it. Boys don't wear jewelry! ...How could he tell her
Muhajjah Saratini
Membuktikan bahwa tidak ada bukti adalah bukti itu sendiri.--p. 240

Buku ini nggak santai, lumayan buat pemanasan.

Saya menyarankan untuk yang menyukai matematika untuk membacanya. Ini, lho, ada novel yang beneran bahas perkara angka2 dengan balutan cerita.
Di buku ini, ceritanya yang jadi pemanis, matematika yang utama.

Review lengkap menyusul~~~
Vicky Collar
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regalo, spanish, 2017
Ha sido como volver a estudiar las matemáticas de primaria pero con un toque mucho más divertido. Creo que es muy buen regalo para niños en primaria para demostrarles lo curiosas que pueden resultar las matemáticas.
Jason Hamilton
Mar 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a thinly veiled novelization of a few math problems. It's wrapped in a story about a boy with crazy dreams that begins dreaming about math and learning things from a number devil.

My impression was that the book got the formula all wrong. The story is nonsensical and tedious, so you're ready to get to the math. The math is then explained via conversation between the main character and the number devil, so you really have to reflect on the topics after each chapter to understand them.
Sibil
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

If I was a child I would have loved this book, and I don't love maths. It was an intersting reading and I enjoeyed the things that you can learn while reading it. I think I'll recommend it to every kid (and not) who wants to read about math!
Maurizio Codogno
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, finished
Non che sia chissà cosa, però ci sono degli spunti interessanti. Bisognerebbe però vedere cosa ne dice un ragazzino...
Kelly Mahoney
This book was a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of Flatland, so I enjoy anytime math can be turned into a story. This book doesn't have a ton of story, but just enough to make it a page turner. Robert's math teacher, Mr. Bockel doesn't seem to be a very inspiring educator, doing little else but assigning word problems while surreptitiously munching on pretzels. Robert thinks math is confusing and boring. All that changes when his dreams are visited by a strange genie-like character called The Number D ...more
Cali
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book made cry.....and not because it was heart wrenching. This book should go back to the hellhole where it came from. AVOID THIS BOOK AT ALL COSTS. When I bought this books, my family stopped loving me, my girlfriend turned gay, my fish died, and when I opened the yogurt lid, I threw away the yogurt instead of the lid because I was drunk on hatred for this book.
Kelly
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amazing book. It teaches advanced mathematics in a way so children can understand. The pictures are really cute, too.
Muhammad
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Ini bukan dongeng, bukan pula memoar. Tapi kejadian-kejadian yang ada dalam buku ini bisa saja Anda alami di kehidupan Anda.

Perkenalkan Robert, seorang anak berumur 12 tahun yang sangat membenci matematika dan terutama guru matematikanya. Baginya angka-angka dan segala macam hitung-hitungan adalah hal yang menjemukan. Tapi, pandangannya tersebut perlahan-lahan berubah sejak bertemu Setan Angka dalam mimpinya. Dari malam ke malam Setan Angka mengajaknya bertualang menjelajahi dunia matematika. Se
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you cross Alice in Wonderland with a small, red, horned man obsessed with numbers? No, it isn't an arithmetic problem - it's a middle school math primer!
Robert, a boy who hates math and is frustrated because his teacher doesn't allow calculators, has strange dreams all the time. One night he dreams up a character called the Number Devil, who takes him away to a surreal world of numbers where Robert learns basic math concepts and a few handy shortcuts. After all, says the Num
Passang
This summer I decided to read the book The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Magnus Enzensberger. The story is about a boy named Robert who hates math because he finds it very boring at school. He keeps dreaming about being eaten by a giant fish or sliding down a never ending slide until one night he suddenly finds himself dreaming about meeting the Number Devil (Teplotaxl). During the twelve nights Robert finds himself learning different mathematical principles every night.
In the
Yuta .
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Count as 2 books (Review 3 and 4)

I have read the book "The Number Devil" because my grandpa sent it to me from Japan in Japanese translation. The book was amazing. This book made me like math and this is when I first understood radicals and other mathematic things. I will tell you that, by the time you finish this book, you will think "Oh, math is so cool!".

Characters

In the book, Math Devil teaches math to this boy named Robert (Who hate Math),many interesting facts about math, and the secret be
Steven
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Number Devil. I thought that it was a worthwhile book and if you are having trouble in math, it can really help you. I thought that the book was very good in its way of delivering the information. Robert, the main character, is always asleep when he is with the Number Devil and in his dream world, math is completely different from ours. One thing i didn't really like about the book is how they do not always use real math terms. They use words like coconuts and rutabagas and ...more
Gabriel
A cute book that holds many of the same principals as Magic House of Numbers, but is written with a middle school/very late elementary school audience in mind.

Some great (and advanced) mathematical ideas are presented in here. These include some ideas as young as Russel's Paradox or Countable Infinities. Others are much older (Pascal's Triangle and Diagonal length of squares). All of this told in a quiet, simple manner akin to Daniel Quinn's Ishmael - though a little more entertaining than that
Jairo Guzman
Enzensberger tells a story of Robert, a young boy with mediocre math skills, and his journey through the world of mathematics under the tutoring of the number devil, a black-bearded, irascible, red man. In Enzensberger's The number devil, the boy Robert is able to contact this devil through 12 dreams and learns that math isn’t that bad at all. The whole purpose of this book is to reveal to young people that mathematics is something worth exploring and not just a sadistic intellectual exercise ma ...more
Ileen
Grazie mille Enzensberger!
Sapevo che la matematica può essere divertente (anche se i professori evitano accuratamente di farti conoscere questo lato) ma che fosse così spassosa, quello no, non l'avrei immaginato. Dodici notti, dodici sogni per insegnare a Roberto come funzionano le cose e che alla fine non è il caso di avere paura. Robero è fantastico! Il modo di rispondere, di fare, non sembra un bambino di 10 anni, come tralatro si evince anche dalla copertina (anche perchè esprimo qualche pe
Amandabeicker
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Menos útil de lo que lo recordaba pero, ahora que necesito revisar conceptos matemáticos básicos, me ha venido muy bien la relectura de las aventuras de Robert y el diablo de los números (¡mi 'yo' de 8 años llegó a encariñarse mucho con ellos en su momento!). A lo largo de doce noches, Robert recibe la visita de un diablo de los números que, en sueños, le propone situaciones, problemas y juegos relacionados con sus odiados números, explicándole, de paso, muchas curiosidades sobre ellos. Las ilus ...more
Lisa
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
This book has the same artist as one of our favorite children's books: In the Town, All Year Round.

I'm not sure what to say about this one. Who would I recommend it to?

Not math people - The terminology will drive this reader crazy! The author took math terms and called them something else. For example, instead of "the square root of 9 equals 3," it was "the rutabaga of 9 equals 3." OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK!

Not non-math people - 1. With the strange verbiage, you won't be able to talk to other people,
Math 2 6 Jul 25, 2015 08:23AM
An Excellent Book 1 17 Aug 22, 2008 07:00PM
  • The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
  • The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle-School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • Secrets, Lies, and Algebra (Do The Math, #1)
  • Murderous Maths (Murderous Maths, #1)
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics
  • The Calculus Wars: Newton, Leibniz, and the Greatest Mathematical Clash of All Time
  • Letters to a Young Mathematician
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
Hans Magnus Enzensberger (born 11 November 1929 in Kaufbeuren) is a German author, poet, translator and editor. He has also written under the pseudonym Andreas Thalmayr.
More about Hans Magnus Enzensberger

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • Water's Edge
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone