Start by marking “A Dream of Ashes (Chronicles of the Modern Mystics #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dream of Ashes (Chronicles of the Modern Mystics #1)

A Dream of Ashes

(Chronicles of the Modern Mystics #1)

Mystics.Magic.Murder.
A Rogue Mystic.A Ruthless Killer. A Dark Secret.
Ava James is a fire mystic with the Mystic Investigative Division. As a branch of the Enclave, a worldwide mystic organization, the MID is feared, respected and reviled.
When the half-charred body of a Mystic is found, the Enclave sends her to investigate the strange death. Ava finds that all the clues
Published April 27th 2016 by OM Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Dream of Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dream of Ashes

Cyril Patrick Feerick
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Dream of Ashes by Orlando Sanchez is a tense fantasy-thriller. A mysterious plot, surrounding Ava, who works in the Mystic Investigative Division. But when the Division turns on her, she goes on the run. Addictive is one word that I'd use to describe this novel. I wish I could say more but given that there is a lot that can’t be said because of spoilers, I would say its a story rich in detail, full of the sights, sounds, and smells that make you feel as though you're actually there. One of tho ...more
M Hamed
I'm all for abrupt,short ,to the point ,no romance .but even for me
That was too light
Going to a fight against supremely advanced evil dude with no planning,just go for it girlfrimd
Coming later on with a something to defeat the evil dude in a blink of an eye

Even for me ,that was too much
Lulu // RoadsideReader

facebook // twitter // bloglovin // youtube

Kick ass heroines racing to exonerate themselves is much beloved trope/genre for me. I mean, I’ve loved reading all about Anita Blake’s antics (before it all went to hell in a harem), as well as Sookie Stackhouse’s adventures. So, when I was approached to review A Dream of Ashes by Orlando A Sanchez, I was really excited! Not only was I getting the kick ass heroine, but also a book written by a local author! The novel was certainly fast-paced, sometime
Pallavi Sareen
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
An action-packed, fast paced novel with mystical elements that feels like watching a Jason Bourne movie, at first and then turns into a battle manga. Secrets are revealed, Ava is framed for murders she didn't commit and no one can be trusted. I loved the fight-scenes and there were so many. This new Mystic world is intriguing as well, I just wish it was better explained. Our main protagonist Ava is a badass fire Mystic who works for the MID, so when mytics start getting killed, she is sent to in ...more
Gwen
****This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review***
This is the second book I have read from this author and can with all honesty say that this was the better of the two stories, it had much more flesh on the bone with a great tension and engaging characters that I enjoyed immensely.
Ava, our leading lady is one of the few Fire Mystic's who together with other

Water, Wind and Earth Mystics act as a sort of magic police to deal with paranormal issues.

We start the story wi
Boundless Book Reviews
This was freaking awesome! It was non-stop action from the first page, not to mention, one hell of a kickass heroin. I couldn’t put it down and finished the book in one sitting. I have never read anything by Orlando Sanchez before, but if A Dream Of Ashes is any indication of his work, he has a new fan in me. I cannot wait for book two of this series. If you like fast paced urban fantasy, with a strong female lead, this is a book for you. LOVED IT!...Sara

https
Rochelle
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have
Such an action packed urban fantasy and the paperback is the cutest pocket size. Full review to come.
Kat Mandu
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
In A Dream of Ashes, readers are introduced to Ava, a mystic with the ability to create and manipulate fire. Right from the beginning of the book, she’s been framed for several vicious murders she didn’t commit, not to mention she’s being hunted by a group of obviously wicked mystics trying to kill her. As she tries to navigate her way through a unique New York City without getting caught or killed, she’s gotta figure out where her uncle is and just who he was taken by. But getting mixed up in t ...more
Darla Hallgren
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lost some sleep with this one. The action never stops. The world of mystics a little different than any I've read before. Most the characters are mysterious and keep you intrigued. Look forward to what comes next in this story. It's a great read. Have yet to disappointed in any of Sanchezs books.
sharon davidson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great action

Not everyone gets blown up twice in one day. Fast action. Interesting powers. Almost like Shadowrun but no dragons in control.
Mr J.S.Varney
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good flow and balance

Another great book with a strong story line and characters that engage the reader and draw them in. Can’t wait to see what happens next!
Jolie
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before I start my review, I want to thank Orlando Sanchez for allowing me to review A Dream of Ashes.

**All opinions stated in this review are mine and mine alone. I received A Dream of Ashes from Orlando Sanchez for free for my honest and unbiased review**

Now, onto my review:

This is my first book I have ever read by Orlando Sanchez and I have got to say, it was GOOD. Like insanely good.

From the beginning, when we first meet Ava kicking some bad guys ass, the action is non stop. I told BK that no
Luna Lovebooks
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review

“Go lick your wounds. When I see you next I will erase your existence.’ He turned and walked away as the sphere turned opaque and shifted us away from Nezu. We are going to die.”

Likes: This book is fast paced and action packed! Much like poor Ava, the reader doesn’t get to stop and rest. The characters and world are interesting, if not fully developed. Ava was resilient, but still vulnerable and had moments of weakness. I love the fact that
Lynda Stevens
I have to admit, I have encountered a lot of stories like this recently, more than I could wish for. There is a tough young heroine, working on the front line of active police service who gets framed by mysterious enemies for homicidal crimes she did not commit. She then has to both clear her name and take care of her enemies, in the process learning something about her past and destiny.

Often, these come in either fantasy or SF dress. Here, it all comes ín paranormal paraphernalia. The heroine A
Cheryl M-M
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ava James is a fire mystic and part of the Mystic Investigative Division. In one fell swoop her world is turned upside down when she becomes the hunted instead of the hunter. Someone is committing crimes and leaving her mystic brand as a calling card.

The Enclave is full of prejudiced mystic hating individuals who take great pleasure in bringing down any mystic, especially one that is supposed to be part of their association.

Ava finds herself thrust into the complex secrets of her family dynamics
Mandy Walkden-Brown
A riveting read is this first book of the series.

Ava James, Mystic Investigator, finds herself at the centre of the action when a series of bizarre murders begins. Her problems escalate when it appears to everyone, including her friends and colleagues, that it is she who is the culprit.

There is no lack of action in this story, with some terrific fight scenes, explosions, general mayhem and some impressive magical demolitions! Not a totally sweet and cosy world, but fun to visit for a time.

Sea
Susan Campbell
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My kind of book!
I love action books that include myth and mystery, magic and adventure. This one hit all the spots for me and if you have read Terry Brooks, Tolkein, etc, this one is right up your street.
You will love the way he has created the characters, loving the heroine Ava, and hating the enemy, and in my case found it very hard to put down, as I always needed to know what happens next. This one was another of the books that kept me reading until my eyes dropped, sometime in the early hour
Jo
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Right. I'm going to get my major niggle about this book out of the way right now. Although this book says it is number 1 in the series, there is a prequel. And, given that I felt that I had missed out on some world building when I started to read, I would suggest that you read the prequel before reading this book.

That said, this story certainly packs a punch. Action packed from the very beginning, this story arc has betrayal, misdirection, and suspense. But it also has the counterpoint of a youn
Maryann Sims
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We find Ava, the little baby born in the prequel, Flame of Ashes, all grown up now and working for MID. She has come into her powers and is the only fire mystic in town. That is why when other mystic start being killed by a fire mystic, everyone turns on Ava.

The only help she can get is from Buck with the magical mystery bar with an even more magical basement. Ross her ex-partner, whose only advice to her is run. Her sensei who feel her best help is a puppy with magical runes all over his body.
J. Ewbank
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book by Sanchez was a shocker to me. I thought that modern mystics would be a religious kind of mystic, and boy was I surprised. However, the characters, though entirely unknown to me as to their abilities, were interesting and the plot has good against evil. The characters develop during the book and the fights keep you interested and following it. Glad to have read it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me Abo
Penelope
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, action packed with the right blend of characters you love and love to hate.

Ava James is being set up and she is determined to find the mystic behind all the destruction and loss of life. With the help of some good 'friends' she saves her Uncle and finds out some interesting details about her family and herself.

This book will keep you hooked from page one, you will not want to put it down and once you finish you will be craving the start of the next book. I can't wait to find out what
Lesley Williams
Not my cup of tea I'm afraid and I usually love this type of genre. I was put off initially by the poor quality of the paperback book. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I've been proved wrong before and have found many a gem hidden away. However, this time I was disappointed. The plot itself was good, but it didn't flow quite right and the enjoyment was gone. Sorry. It may be to other peoples liking.
Linda
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free in return for an honest review.
This story about is about a fire elemental that works for an agency that polices elementals. She is accused of committing a crime and must prove her innocence. The action starts on page one and stops just long enough for you to catch your breath before it starts again. This story is well written and keeps your interest the entire story. The villains are amazing. And the heroes can take them down. I am ready for book 2.
Terresa Mitchell
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling adventure.

Brilliant story with lots of things going on and easy to keep pace. I just hope a follow on book is available as I desperately need to read the next part.
Jim
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mystical

The only thing I hated about this book is that it wasn't longer. It pulled me in and was over too soon. I can't wait for the next one.
Subhajit Das
Jun 02, 2018
Melissa Horn
May 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Orlando Sanchez has been writing ever since his teens when he was immersed in creating scenarios for playing Dungeon and Dragons with his friends every weekend. An avid reader, his influences are too numerous to list here. Some of the most prominent are: J.R.R. Tolkien, Jim Butcher, Kat Richardson, Terry Brooks, Piers Anthony, Lee Child, George Lucas, Andrew Vachss, and Barry Eisler to name a few ...more