Start by marking “The Communication Room” as Want to Read:
The Communication Room

The Communication Room

Leonard Ackerman works at a remote army base trying to solve the greatest threat facing mankind. An alien invasion that has eroded our species down to very few numbers as far as Ackerman can tell. His base is compromised and Ackerman retreats to a laboratory he has never been inside, locking himself there with the enemy right outside his door. Inside the lab are thirteen t ...more
ebook
Published April 26th 2016 by Vagabondage Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Communication Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Communication Room

Holly
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This novella really packed a punch and had me hooked until I'd finished it.

What really stands out in this book is how clever the narrative is. From one man and one room, we see the unfolding of an alien invasion that roughly followed that of our own history, but slanting it and changing it. We gain a history that is uncanny, all from a single point with a single perspective. From this, we don't need a long rambling science fiction novel. Instead we get a fresh novella that is simple yet complex.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Missed the Mark- 1.5 stars...

"Leonard Ackerman works at a remote army base trying to solve the greatest threat facing mankind. An alien invasion that has eroded our species down to very few numbers as far as Ackerman can tell. His base is compromised and Ackerman retreats to a laboratory he has never been inside, locking himself there with the enemy right outside his door. Inside the lab are thirteen telephones—from the American civil war through to Ackerman’s present day, about 100 years from
Emma Marie Reads
An interesting novella about one person's experiences at the end of a long term alien invasion.

The book had an interesting and different premise than most invasion books, and I really enjoyed reading it, and figuring out exactly what was going on and what the outcome might be. I do feel the ending was left a little unresolved, and but I can see how it fits with this kind of short story. Overall a very enjoyable read.
Lloyd Andrew Green
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not put the book down until I finished the story. Aresty pulls at the readers curiosity, drawing you more and more into the desperate room, which the main character forces himself to understand. Great ending.
Nastasia Whatley
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The start and middle was great and really drew me in but as it got to the end I was a little let down but great short read.
Personally not something I'd read a second time.
Miguel Panão
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkable and simple

Simple story opening an imaginative dystopian world. Reminded me of the series Falling Skies. If you liked the series, you’ll like this novella.
Sean Carlin
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll cop to a bias here: Adam Aresty is a friend of mine. He's also an enviably talented writer, as The Communication Room plainly demonstrates.

I was privileged enough to have read an early draft of this novella, when it was still in the development stage; it was breathtaking then, and has only gotten better now that it's been published. My friendship with the author notwithstanding, this story is everything I want from a piece of fiction: it's a thriller; it's a mystery; it's science fiction; i
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01EUE352G
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 4 Stars

I opened this book not sure what to expect but was so caught up in the story I had finished it before I realized it was the end. I was not sure if I was caught up in a train wreck or if I truly
tyto
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 1/2 stars - rounded up to 4

This novella really packs a punch - as aliens try to wipe out humanity and a scientist faces the world crumbling around him, he shuts himself in a room to escape an attack. The room contains an experiment he knows nothing about, and going through the experiment might be the only chance he has to survive.

The story is instantly compelling and smartly written. It has some smart ideas and emotional moments t
Mark Gardner
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
With aliens trying to subjugate the human race, our only hope is a dude who can talk on the phone. He bears witness to the events that led to the alien invasion and his current situation. When I saw Communication Room on NetGalley, I was intrigued. Although the story started out with some action, the rest of the story was pretty mild. A crazy man at the door who was “conscripted” is gonna get our protagonist, unless he can solve the puzzle of the phones.

This novella is an easy read, and the aver
Zippergirl
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
Don't call us, we'll call you.

A locked room. Thirteen telephones. Leonard Ackerman, science officer. "This room has been sealed for your protection and will remained sealed until the test is completed." And the first phone starts ringing.

squelch-hiss-squelch Can you hear me now?

This is classic sci-fi plus a locked room mystery. Adam Aresty, author and screenwriter gives you more bang for your buck with this compelling 'us vs. them' novella.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Rachelle
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only negative I have about The Communication Room is that it's too short. I think it would be an even better story if it were closer to novel length rather than only a novella. Other than that, it's a terrific example of the Science Fiction genre and would fit perfectly into an anthology, perhaps between two much shorter pieces.

For anyone interested in trying out some Sci-Fi, this would be an excellent choice. It only takes an hour or so to read, so it's not a huge investment. Besides, I thi
Megalion
A science fiction novella about an alien race determined to eradicate humankind from the planet.

They have the ability to take over human bodies which is called being conscripted.

It's one of those avant garde kind of stories. Something that M. Night Shamlayn would make.

And I didn't like it. Never hooked me.

Thank you to the publisher for the free copy of this book in exchange for this honest review.
Emma Marie
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

Mel
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Enjoyed this novella but I think it could have been a lot better if it had been longer and more indepth. Wasn't impressed with the ending.
Fawn Neun