Start by marking “This Modern Love” as Want to Read:
This Modern Love

This Modern Love

THE NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER

This Modern Love is a unique crowdsourced book of letters, stories, and photographs about the state of modern romance by YouTuber Will Darbyshire.

‘Question 1. What would you say to your ex, without judgement?’

Seeking closure after a tough break-up, Will Darbyshire was driven to strike up an intimate conversation with his online audience. Posting
Published May 18th 2017 by Arrow (first published July 7th 2016)

Start your review of This Modern Love
Ariel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this! Would have liked more input from Will, like commentary or trend spotting or insight into patterns he saw when reading so many entries or reasons as to why he picked certain letters, but liked it all the same.

I usually don't enjoy epistolary things, but flew through this happily in a day.

Here's my video review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mz4U...
Nat
In this collection of love letters, Will Darbyshire provides a safe environment for people to share their thoughts on modern relationships. Some people sent in letters, pictures, poetry... This Modern Love collects these letters together to form a compendium of 21st century love, structured into the beginning, middle and end of a relationship.

“Some of the letters are bitter, some of them are raw. Some of them are thankful, and some of them might make you laugh. But they have all made me think
Whitney Atkinson
I think this book fell flat because the description of the concept romanticized and hyped the quality of the content inside. A collection of submissions of people all talking about love? Sounds fascinating! But the majority of these were cheesy, cliché, and not anything new. There were some really talented writers in here, and some powerful pieces, but not nearly enough to make up the majority.

The questions posed to submitters, I will admit, was interesting. They asked six questions that people
Alisha
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
honestly this was everything that i wanted from the idea of this book. thank you will for bringing me something i didnt realise i needed to read so badly.
Angharad (Two Book Thieves)
"Thank you for making me see the stars when I only saw the darkness."

So, the reason I haven't been reviewing a lot lately is because I've been going through a difficult time. A difficult time meaning a difficult break up. I felt it would be disrespectful to books and their authors if I gave half-hearted reviews.
Then I read this book.
Surely it was a recipe for disaster right? This is a book about love - crushes, relationships and heartbreak. If you recommended a book to someone going through
Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun)
Wow! Just wow! This book should be read by everyone and if you ever want a pick me up or a love book read this beauty!
dina
This Modern Love is an anthology of love letters, divided into 3 parts: beginning, middle, and end.

Ever since the halfway of this book, I have decided not to rate this. People have the different way to express their love, and I'm afraid if I rate this book, it would seem disrespectful, as if they have to write letters with unusual vocabularies and poemish style to attract the readers, but the truth is they wrote it because they felt like it and all of these letters were meant for real people—
Kristina
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this book because Raya from Rayawashere on Youtube showed it in one of her videos because she has written a letter for her boyfriend - Loius from funforlouis on Youtube.

Oh my, the Raya's letter was just so honest, cute and appreciative of everything Louis has done for her in the year they've been together and travelling the world. I'd choose you over Beyonce as well heheh! :)

The rest of the book is filled with other letters, instagram or tweeter posts sent by viewers to Will which
Suraya (thesuraya)
Giving this a 5 stars because im a huge sucker on anything romance; the beginning, the middle and the end. I love the big concept but i love the tiny little things more. And all these emails, letters, tweets and whatnots, they capture everything perfectly.

Ive only ever known love through books and movies/tv shows due to the fact that ive never fell in love myself (lol what a pity) so its really nice to see that it actually exists in real life lol.

Now, can i please experience love on my own? :(
Steph Watson
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book in an hour and a half. It's a beautiful collection of letters and responses that make you laugh, smile, want to cry and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Suad Shamma
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
I liked the concept of this book and appreciate what Will Darbyshire was trying to do. However, I found the content a bit underwhelming to tell you the truth, and some were just right out boring. I read this pretty quickly, but had I let myself, I would have put it down and forgotten about it. I don't know if it were his selections that bored me, or if those were actually the best of what he received, because if that is the case then...well...that would be disappointing.

All in all, I like the
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
« After all, the biggest adventure you can have is to open your heart. »

The very idea of this book is really amazing. I absolutely loved it.
« Thank you for making me see the stars when I only saw the darkness. »
Georgia Mae
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Thank you for making me see the stars when I only saw the darkness."

Nothing I say is going to do this book justice. I am mesmerised, speechless and nostalgic.
Janine
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was completely underwhelmed by this. I liked the concept and the layout, but it sort of just felt like reading some writings about love on an internet message board. There were a few strong pieces, and the really succint ones often proved most powerful. Ultimately, though, the "beginning," "middle," and "end" sections weren't all that different from one another.

The "end" section was probably my favorite, only because I think there's something so raw and powerful about heartbreak. There's the
Winna
Some were good, but surprisingly i could not find one single entry that connected, and i did not get the urge to highlight passages that felt meaningful. It was all a quick, void of feelings kind of read.
Tanja
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
the first youtuber book I've read and most likely also the only one I ever will read. Unless of course Will publishes another.

I have a lot of love for this collection, I want it on my coffee table for all eternity.
Cynthia
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. A few of the submissions to this book were moving, funny, or thought-provoking. But, most were long-winded, and reflected the relative youth of most of the writers. I expected more passion and feeling in this book, but it just wasn't there.
Kristina
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little read for teens and adults. Through letters and poetry and photographs, the compiler brought together pieces written to him from around the world. These pieces deal with crushes, love, and break-ups. There is something for everyone in here. A quick read, with some good phraseology of emotion. This was a student rec and I'm glad I picked it up
Najwa (najreads)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OK WHO WANTS TO BUY ME THIS BOOK FOR VALENTINES PLEASE ANYONE
Fatima
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
Ugh, I loved this. I love Will Darbyshire and he's honestly one of the only YouTuber's that I genuinely enjoy watching, let alone can tolerate. Anyways, I loved that this was a collaboration between SO many people - it involved the thoughts and feelings and contributions from people all over the world, and I loved reading through these notes and letters and feeling reassured that everyone experiences the same discrepancies in love. This is really a fantastic book and it was such a fantastic idea ...more
Samantha Sim
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me yearning for love. It's such a beautiful book, with letters, poems and photographs from people from different parts of the world. Some of them are funny, some sarcastic, some poignant, all of them well-written. I liked the fact that Will decided to publish all these letters, tweets and e-mails as they are, raw and unedited. It retains the authenticity of the meaning behind the words.

Goddammit, can somebody just love me already?! (If not, just get me this book for Christmas.
Marija (Inside My Library Mind)
Full review up on my blog Inside My Library Mind

This was an interesting concept. I stay away from Youtuber books in general, but this was fun. I especially liked The End part, since I find the endings of relationships or the breakups really fascinating.
yassie
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved the style, the sense of hope, of happiness, and of complete heartbreak. The book contained everything from the clichéd love to the fearful love showing how different people handle the word and the gestures that come with it. Positive and negative letters were included and that I am so grateful for!
Alor Deng
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
The concept is great and there were some letters that froze my blood. I think the letters and photographs could have been better curated, I rolled my eyes a bit too much for my liking. Or maybe I'm turning into a cynic. Nope, that's not it. Great idea, it's the execution that brought this down.
Marnie
Oct 31, 2016 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
I have 4 exams over the next week, and then I am free until late January. However, I literally can't wait to start this book considering it just arrived for me, and is sitting on my shelf tempting me. I CAN'T HELP IT. LOVE IS MY WEAKNESS.
Cynthia Katherine
Some of the letters were waaay too cheesy for my taste, but some of them hit me right in the feels, so mostly I enjoyed the read
Samiksha
For all those who are still drunk on the idea of finding The One....

PS I love the author, a little too much.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
This book wasn't bad but I just don't think I was it's intended audience. It's broken up in the format of the beginning of a relationship, the middle, and the end, with letters to crushes, significant others, and exes. It's been more than 2 year since I've been in a relationship though, and so I just didn't find these letters all that compelling. However, I can see how others would enjoy this and get something out of it.
Halima
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dear Jon,

I know we have been married for almost 5 years but I think it's important that I remind you that you are still my crush. Still the boy I swoon over, who gives me butterflies and makes me giggle..."

This Modern Love is a collection of very personal letters that lovers addressed to current, past, potential and even future lovers of theirs. They were collected by Will Darbyshire - a British social media phenomenon, YouTuber, and filmmaker - through social media and mail, to liberate the
Catarina
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Despite the little input of Will's in the book, which I would've loved, this warmed my heart and fed my soul with all sorts of different emotions. The love, the pain, the healing... I found myself relating to and feeling the words and emotions felt by people from all over the world that I thought were only my own. And for that, I'm incredibly grateful to Will for putting this book together.

• Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)
  • A Work in Progress
  • Note to Self
  • Grappig jammer
  • Milk and Honey
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
  • Love Her Wild
  • That Blue Sky Feeling, Vol. 1
  • Eat Smart: What to Eat in a Day - Every Day
  • I Wrote This For You (I Wrote This For You #4)
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • Selected Poems
  • Teddy Roosevelt in California:: The Whistle Stop Tour That Changed America
  • The Illusionist
  • Madeleine McCann - The Disappearance
“Dear ---,

You are like that one piece of artwork in an art gallery that people spend a little longer admiring.

Rosa, UK.”
20 likes
“You’re a collage of all my happy moments and a sense of comfort during the sad ones. It” 14 likes