Start by marking “White Lies and Wishes” as Want to Read:
White Lies and Wishes

White Lies and Wishes

What happens when what you wish for is only half the story...?

Three strangers and a funeral, thats all it takes for these womens lives and wishes to intersect. Death has a funny way of showing you what you really want out of life or so they say, anyway.

Jo is flirty and a little after thirty, but what she really wants is to get her business back on track and conquer her
Published January 26th 2017 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about White Lies and Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lies and Wishes

Start your review of White Lies and Wishes
Irena BookDustMagic
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cathy Bramley is the author I found out about because of blogging community.
Her book Wickham Hall was so well received, and I couldnt help but added it to my ever-growing tbr list.
Unfortunately, I still havent got a chance to read it, but when I saw there was an opportunity to read and review Bramleys newest novel, I had to grab it.

White Lies & Wishes is a story about three women, very different at the first glance, but with one thing in common: all of them have wishes they want to make
Karen Whittard
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-soon
I adore Cathy Bramleys books and always devour them greedily. I have been awaiting this new release for some time now as it has been on pre order since before Christmas. So when I woke up on publication date I excitedly turned the wifi for my kindle on and it was there waiting for me. I started it yesterday and have read it every free moment I got, and I have to say I absolutely loved it.

This is such a fun read, it has lots of fun moments, some romantic moments. I make you realise what is most
Bookread2day
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a few of Cathy Bramley books. White Lies & Wishes is awesome it's my favourite book by Cathy so far. Three women meet at a funeral on one winter's day. Abi and Frederic Lafleur were both still young, they had their lives in front of them. After the funeral of Frederic, Abi was going home to an empty house. At the funeral some women meet. They make a bucket list of wishes. Jo Gold says she has no time for love as she runs a small family business and runs seven shoe shops. ...more
Nicola Clough
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book and didn't want it to end. Cathy Bramley never lets you down very well written and many twists and turns well worth reading. Three ladies who meet by chance become friendly and all wish for things in their lives so they can change and can they make the changes or not. Read and enjoy I certainly recommend it.
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Three very unique women plus three bolshie wishes sounds quite straight forward, doesn't it? After all, it's ONLY one wish each that they are aiming to make a reality, how hard can it be? Well, considering the fact that Jo, Carrie and Sarah are virtually strangers and their wishes aren't exactly black and white; they may be in for a bumpy ride before they get their happy endings!
To be honest, I'm sure Jo, Carrie and
Clair
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Firstly, what I love about Cathy Bramleys books is that its like settling down wearing your favourite, comfortable jumper you know right from the very start that you are going to love the characters and the writing style is warming from the very start.

White Lies & Wishes opens at a sad point, the funeral of a relatively young man who has died from cancer with his young widow struggling to cope. However, the melancholy feel doesnt last for long once Jo, Sarah and Carrie become acquaintances!
Shaz Goodwin
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5

Were introduced to our three leading ladies at Frederic Lafteurs funeral in the rural village of Woodby. With Jo and Carrie already outside having a moment away from everything, Sarah is the last one to join them although Sarah thinks she is on her own. The sadness of the funeral is offset by Sarahs public display it did make me chuckle. With their wish lists and offers of support for each other made, Jo is off to her parents, Sarah has gone back to
Luise
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok

Sometimes it takes a while to get swept up in a story, get used to the style of writing etc. And sometimes it takes forever. Like 90 % of the book. The alternation between the three ladies' perspectives were a little chaotic at the beginning. Somewhat unsatisfactory, I'd say. Also, I couldn't sympathise with them - perhaps because they were just too miserable. And don't you flee into the fictional world of books to escape misery? Good start.

Storywise, it continued being a little
Helena Wildsmith
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was sweet and funny but sadly it was just too long. The story kept droning on and on with not a lot happening and the characters all just seemed a bit...stupid? Some of the things they said and the unbelievably obvious things that they didn't notice just made me feel slightly irritated by them. A goodish read but not one I'd really recommend.
Claire mcmanus
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
didnt want ut to end wonderful as usual from the delightful cathy bramley loved sarah jo and carrie
Leah
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Cathy Bramley is one of my favourite authors and its a pain in the backside to have to wait every year to read her new novel, because first they come out in parts and I cant be doing with that. I rather like my books in one go, but Cathy is definitely worth the wait and I adored Wickham Hall. So I was very excited to be invited to take part in the blog tour for White Lies and Wishes, her first book with Transworld to be published without being a serial first (except for her debut Conditional ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Three women meet for the first time, at the funeral of a mutual friend's husband, and very soon not only gel, but also decide that life is too short and they put together a wish list, which they will help each other with. This isn't like other bucket list books with loads of outlandish suggestions, all 3 of these wishes are certainly achievable by the women, but with a self imposed deadline of September that year, whether they will or not is another matter.

So lets meet the stars of the
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely book following three women as they meet at a funeral. They create a wishlist of things they want to achieve and in the process create a friendship which allows them to see that sometimes its the unwritten wishes that mean the most.
A good solid womens fiction book with some great sections of hilarity.
Amber Grenville-Smith
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perfect cosy read with great characters and many laugh out of moments.
Alison Winter
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book, characters you can relate too. I enjoyed reading about Jo, Carrie and Sarah and their white lies and wishes.
George
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A lovely little book which brings you hope and lets you know that you can aim for a wish/dream and you can do a lot in 6months to make them happen.

Updated review - Full review on www.fueltheblog.wordpress.com

Jo, Sarah and Carrie are very different people.

Jo has no time for love and is determined to save her family business. Sarah is a new mum working hard to become a partner at her accountancy firm and Carrie is a bored housewife who overeats to compensate.

The trio meet by chance and decide to
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
This is Cathy's newest book now available I have enjoyed many of her previous books so this was a must have for me. I awarded a well deserved five stars as I absolutely loved this story. White Lies and Wishes focuses on three middle aged ladies Jo, Carrie and Sarah who becomes the best of the friends and embark on making their wishes come true. This is the perfect chick-lit book to escape into from your own life. I would highly recommend this story to you all. This book actually got me out of a ...more
Grass monster
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Blurb :
Flirtatious, straight-talking Jo Gold says shes got no time for love; shes determined to save her familys failing footwear business.
New mother Sarah Hudson has cut short her maternity leave to return to work. She says shell do whatever it takes to make partner at the accountancy firm.
Bored, over-eating housewife Carrie Radley says she just wants to shift the pounds shed love to finally wear a bikini in public.
The unlikely trio meet by chance one winters day, and in a moment of Carpe
Sharon
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Cathy Bramley books, so was excited to see she had a new book out. We meet three women who are virtually strangers, but all pledge with each other to make a wish of one thing that they want to make come true. Jo wants to make her familys footwear business a success. Sarah wants to juggle work and family and become a partner at the Accountancy firm that she works at. Carrie wants to lose weight and wear a bikini in public. They all try and work towards their goals, but theyve all only made ...more
Joanne D'Arcy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the latest nobel from Cathy Bramley and is in fact a whole novel, not being released in parts as some of her previously novels have been. Cathy Bramley novels are for reading in one fell swoop, preferably in a comfy chair with a cup of tea and a biscuit to accompany you!

Jo, Sarah and Carrie meet at a funeral wake and form an unlikely bond. Jo is a strong single determined female who is trying to prove something to her father and herself by saving the families footwear business.

Carrie is
Melisa Broadbent
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I managed to read in two days (and I was at work for one of them!) that was how much I liked it. The downside to this is that it is over too quickly.

We are introduced to 3 different characters who come across each other at a funeral. Jo, who works for her family's shoe company. Carrie, who is an overeating housewife and Sarah an ambitious accountant who has recently returned back to work after having her first child. On first appearances they appear to be happy with their
Emma Crowley
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cathy Bramley always has the most gorgeous covers for her books and between the pages of the bright, inviting, attractive covers the feel good factor is always present in spades. This new story White Lies and Wishes is no different. I had read the book with the purple/orange cover but this new version with the blue sky and butterflies is just as lovely. Despite the trials and tribulations her characters may face Cathy writes a story that will leave you all warm inside and caught up in such ...more
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print-books
A new Cathy Bramley book is always something to look forward to. White Lies & Wishes is not a four-part novel like many of Cathys other books and it was a nice change to not have to wait for the next part because once Ive finished one book from Cathy, Im always eager to read another. This book focuses on three different women, Carrie, Sarah and Jo, who very quickly become friends and make plans to each change an aspect of their lives.

By the end of the first chapter, I was already excited to
Marjorie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a warm read and I felt that it managed to steer away from tried and tested stereotypes. Jo, Sarah and Carrie read as though they are real people, they make the same snap judgements as the rest of us and they can be fun and larky and then miserable and argumentative the next and not just because they are women, but, because they are people. They struggle with the same things we all do at various times in our lives and despite their disparate personalities their friendship does not ...more
Trish Hills
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a true story of female friendship. Jo, Sarah and Carrie all want something to change in their lives and they make a pact to help each other achieve these goals. I'd love to have a group of friends like them. I feel I have a bit of each woman in my personality and having them on my team would be interesting.

Jo is ballsy and strong willed but vulnerable in certain aspects of her life. She is confident, feisty and loyal. Sarah is torn between her baby boy and her career. She is hardworking,
Carly
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been really struggling with my reading recently due to my mum awaiting a major op (which she has now had & is recovering), so I thought I'd give this book a go as Cathy Bramley never fails to please. I'm pleased to say Cathy got my reading mojo back for me.

I loved this story from the first page. I imagined Jo as Cameron Diaz throughout the book. I especially loved it how Jo was based in Northampton (my hometown). All 3 women were so different but they worked really well together and
Jan
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Usually enjoy Cathy Bramley books but couldn't make it all the way through this one! I'm not expecting ground breaking plots or anything all that original from this type of book but the characters in this were obviously taken from some sort of Female Stereotypes 101 or something. We have the new mother being judged and demonised for wanting to go back to work - how will she juggle it all?!! Then there's the single professional woman who of course is a man hungry party girl and driven workaholic ...more
Jane
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found myself using the Just one more chapter line to myself, and picking up the book and reading it at every spare opportunity. Which is always a good sign.

Its a good read, a quick read, with well defined characters. The story is fairly obvious, and safe. I had to suspend my disbelief that three strangers could become close friends within about an hour. Or maybe thats normal and my friend making skills need work 🤔🤣 It was a gift from a friend, so Im obvously not hopeless!

Would be a good
Nessa
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Cathy's books, have enjoyed a fair few of her books already and this one was no exception, absolutely loved this from start to finish. It was a pleasure getting to know each of the three main characters and also the other characters. Highly entertaining, heartfelt and funny in places.

I loved how these three characters seem to have nothing in common and yet the bond that they create whilst forming a friendship is truly lovely.

It was a delightful read from start to finish, just
MRS CHRISTINE  SITTON
Very entertaining

Was hooked right from the start. Brilliant story of how Jo, Carrie and Sarah meet at a friends funeral and make a wish list. Three women who are so different and really bond. So entertaining and amusing. Feel you know and understand how they feel and what they need to make them happy. Yet again Cathy brought brilliant characters to life. Only problem is that I've now read all her books and have to wait until next January for her next o e which is already pre ordered for my
« previous 1 3 next »

• Singled Out
  • Poppy's Recipe for Life
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • Creature Comforts
Cathy Bramley is the author of the best-selling romantic comedies Ivy Lane, Appleby Farm, Wickham Hall, Conditional Love and The Plumberry School of Comfort Food. She lives in a Nottinghamshire village with her family and a dog.

Her recent career as a full-time writer of light-hearted, romantic fiction has come as somewhat of a lovely surprise after spending eighteen years running her own marketing

News & Interviews

“Guilt. Sadness. Emptiness.” 0 likes
“She could be ill, or loaded, or anything. The row of three little red-brick cottages, nestling” 0 likes