Start by marking “Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)” as Want to Read:
Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)

Lowcountry Stranger

(Sweeney Sisters #2)

Family Drama, Southern Style.
There's a stranger in town. And it’s no coincidence when she shows up uninvited at a Sweeney family wedding. All eyes are drawn to this urchin who seems to have washed in with the tide. Before the night is over, the doe-eyed waif charms young and old with her street smarts and spunky personality. For better or worse, Annie Dawn is here to stay
Published July 1st 2016 by Leisure Time Books

To ask other readers questions about Lowcountry Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lowcountry Stranger

☕ Kimberly
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strong family, small town idioms, faith, trust, love, recovery and commitment are all weaved into a tale that offered a nice dose of suspense. Farley shares the perspectives of the three sisters as they go through their daily struggles and become involved with a young stranger who shows up uninvited to a Sweeney Wedding.

The story opens with one of the sister's getting married and I was delighted. Farley updates us on goings on since we last visited in Her Sister’s Shoes. About a year has passed
Anna At A Wondrous Bookshelf
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fiction, summer-2016
This is book number two of the Sweeney sisters, and I received a copy from Kimberly the Caffeinated Book Reviewer in exchange for my honest review. I was a little hesitant to read the second book in a series when I still had book one, Her Sister’s Shoes, on my TBR list. I’m glad I did. This is my first book by Ashley Farley, and I really loved the way she writes. It seems to me that there’s a strong family element of love, bonding, and loyalty between the sisters that truly fascinated me. I’m an ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Whatever you do, don’t suggest he give up the bourbon and cigars unless you want it to be his first and last visit to the doctor.

I’m a fifty-one-year-old woman, not a disobedient child caught with her hand in the cookie jar five minutes before dinner. Why is it my mother can zap my self-confidence with one cock of her penciled-on eyebrow?

My Review:

I adored this book start to finish and find myself with an unabiding yen for more, as well a strong appetite for shrimp. My Sister’s S
Debbie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. I found it to be entertaining and a very enjoyable, fun read. You would think that with all the issues these sisters have that you would be thinking "come on, no one family has that much trauma". However, the author has little clues throughout that kind of prepare you for it. As least it did for me. And, when you really think about it, it could happen.

Anyways, I was pretty engrossed into the story early, was on the verge of slapping Sam a couple of times, but I liked it
Ann
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I missed book one of the Sweeney Sisters series (Her Sister's shoes). and I sincerely hope that there are several more books to come. This family has a lot of drama in their lives but they all handle it well with the help of their friends and relatives. I had no problems with background because the author gave plenty of background for new readers. I adored little Bitsy and Annie and the relationship they form is a blessing. Sam needs someone to give her a kick in the behind but I ...more
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Lowcountry Stranger is the first book I’ve read by Ashley Farley but it’s not going to be my last. Her writing immediately engages you and makes you feel a part of the family, and even though I haven’t read the first book in the series I still felt a connection with the characters and the setting. Though … on that note … what I did learn about Her Sister’s Shoes (book one) makes me want to go back and read it!

The third-person narrative switches between the sisters, allowing readers to really get
Marleen
May 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Based on the first Sweeney Sisters book, I expected better. I am probably one of the very few who find this book disappointing, especially as the transition between book one and two isn't detailed - and it should have been. It would have given this book more depth.
I didn't find the characters compelling. I didn't find the plot worth mentioning. It was a below average read and, in this genre, there are so much better books out there. Believe me.
What disappointed me, were the sisters, Sam, Faith a
Karen Benson
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Eh. I could take it or leave it. I think the author tried to make too much happen so the storylines became a little muddled. In addition, too much was terribly unbelievable. I may throw in the towel on this series.
Melissa
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love

Can't wait to read the next one in this series. This one was even better then the first one!!!! Ashley Farley is my new fav!!!!
Vickie
This is the second book in the Sweeney Sisters saga and I must say that it suffered from the sophomore slump. I felt there was no character development of the three sisters, especially Sam, and there was just a bit too much whining from them. I did like Bitsy and I hope to see more of her in the next books.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Diane
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lowcountry Stranger is Ashley Farley's second novel in her Sweeney Sister series, first introduced in Her Sister's Shoes. I didn't read the first novel, and when I started Lowcountry Stranger I feared that I would be lost. I admit it took me a few pages to get adjusted, but once I did, I was hooked by this intriguing family's story.

As the book opens, Faith is celebrating her marriage to Dr. Mike in her hometown of Prospect, South Carolina. This is Faith's second marriage, her first was to an abu
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
I was so happy to get back to the Sweeney sisters in the second book of the series. Jackie, Sam and Faith are back with even more family drama than before. But now there is new, young stranger who shows up in their lives. But how much of a stranger is she really?

The Lowcountry Highs

Sweeney Family. I love this family so much. The three sisters, their children and significant others and of course their mother Lovie are all relatable on some level and have gone through so much that I want

Lelia Taylor
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
In August of 2015, I read Her Sister’s Shoes and made the acquaintance of three sisters—Faith, Sam and Jackie—and found them to be appealingly normal with their individual stories adding up overall to a strong tale of what family can and should be. At the time, I hoped to see more of these ladies and others in their wider circle and, lo and behold, here they are again.

The lush lowcountry marshland of South Carolina is the setting for the wedding of Faith and Mike, much anticipated by all includi
Collette
Good read

As with the first book, this one was well written. One BIG problem is the portrail of Bitsy. She is six, seven or eight, depending on where you are in the book but the description of how she is treated and acts is more like a three or four year old. It detracted greatly from the rest of the story.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
What a lovely journey back to the town of Prospect (close to Charleston) and a look into what is happening with the Sweeney family. This is the second book, so make sure you read Her Sister's Shoes first.

All of the sisters have come a long ways from the first book. They had worked through issues but don't think that everything is dandy. There are still some problems that need to be addressed for each sister, but it makes them better women for it by the end of the book.

All three sisters have thei
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ashley-farley
Lowcountry Stranger is the first book that I have read by Ashley Farley. Although it is book two in The Sweeney Sisters, it can easily be read as a stand alone.

Samantha (Sam), Jackie, Faith and their mother, "Lovie" are a "close knit"family. Eli (Sam's boyfriend), Mike (Faith's new husband) and Bill ( Jackie's husband) and the four children all get along well, care for and look out for each other.

Annie Dawn, a stranger, crashes Faith and Mike's wedding setting the drama, surprises, suspense an
Jennifer Ball
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Sweeney Sisters are back, and Ashley Farley seamlessly catches us up on the last year (and fills in any one new to the characters). It looks in the beginning as if all of the sister's lives have fallen into place, and then Annie Dawn arrives at a family wedding, and the drama and intrigue begin! Who is this stranger, and why has she arrived in Prospect? The unfolding story is fast paced and kept me riveted. Each of the sisters, their mother, and their loved ones deal with love, loss, fear of ...more
Susan Peterson
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lowcountry Stranger continues the story of the Sweeney sisters, who we first met in the book Her Sister's Shoes. This book is a strong, heartfelt family drama about Sam, Jackie, and Faith, and their loved ones. At the beginning of this book we are introduced to Annie Dawn, a young girl who charms them all, despite the fact that she's a stranger and seems not entirely trustworthy. At the heart of this book are the sisters, who are all once again facing turmoil and changes in their lives, but they ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Bravo...another great book in the series and understand #3 is coming soon. I want the Sweeney family to adopt me. This is a family with three sisters Faith, Jackie and Sam who involve themselves in each others lives - they take care of each other and their families and are always there no matter what the situation. And there is plenty of drama in this family. From dying friends, to long lost husbands, to abducted children, to love lost but found again. If you read the first book in this series, ...more
Melissa Borsey
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I really loved this book! There was no shortage of drama within this family and it kept my interest throughout! I was truly disappointed to see the story come to an end. I highly recommend this book ahd look forward to reading more by this author!
Tammy Martin
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I started this book I hated to put it down. I would always rush back to see what happened next. The Sweeney sisters have a lot of drama just like real families. This book will keep your attention and make you not want to put it down. An excellent story of the low country. Loved it.
Barb
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. First I read In Her Shoes and this is the sequel about the Sweeney Sisters and their families and problems. Could not put it down. Can't wait for the next book.
Pam
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lowcountry Stranger is book two in the Sweeney Sisters series by Ashley Farley. This is the continuing story of three sisters and their mother who run a seafood grocery store and restaurant in South Carolina. Would Samantha ever find love like her sisters?
Faith was getting married to a doctor. When Faith’s first husband beat her up, Mark was the doctor who tended her. Faith had the resolve to leave her abusive situation and Mark became more than her doctor. Now they were getting married . The o
Georgie Mac
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done transition from story one to story two.

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first story of the Sweeney family. Rather than totally focusing on one family member to the next, Ms. Farley brings each sister into the forefront as we go through the events in the lives of Sweeney clan and those who share it impact their world. It is done in a very smooth manner that highlights emotions and circumstances from the three sisters perspective. It really helps paint the picture of the whole st
Angela
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the story. It takes place around a year after the first book and things have greatly improved for Faith who is newly wedded, Jackie and her husband Bill are still attempting to get back together, and Sam is still dating Eli. Lovie is still around as well and not quite as confused as she was in the first book. Things have changed for the better for all the main characters from the first book but of course nothing ever stays the same and change hits the family, some good and some bad. We a ...more
Alicia
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hit i. The Sweeney Sisters series

What a wonderful addition to this speciAl series. Sisters Jackie, Samantha, and Faith are back.just as enchanting and engaging and true to life as ever. This time there is a wedding, two funerals, a lot of healing and self searching, growth, change and enough drama to overwhelm any one person. But with the support, lpve, and understanding from one sister too another, one significant other to another, and the love of their mother and children, life turns
Shari Ring Wolf
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of romance fiction

Couldn’t finish it. Barely got started. I could not be interested in these beautiful people or relate to their issues or problems. It seemed superficial to me. Like a Danielle Steele novel. I know they were best sellers, but not my cup of coffee. I realize there is a market for this type of fiction. I count on honest reviews to make reading decisions, so I leave reviews to let people know the kind of book they are considering. This is sparkly romance fiction.
Paulette
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t be a Stranger to the Sweeney Sisters

So glad to be able to spend a few good hours again with the Sweeney Sisters. Ashley Farley has written a book of a family pulling together, while each sister learns something about her own self. A new marriage, a mid-life crisis and a fear of commitment , plus dealing with death seems all too much to handle. But handle and deal they do while learning what family really means.

Karen L Perrone
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. Your characters jumped into my living room with me...I felt like I knew them personally and felt all their happiness, sadness, frustration, etc. Your writing is so comfortable and I can't wait to go to another series when I finish with the Sweeney Sisters. I'm so happy I was prompted to look at this selection and it didn't cut too deep into my pocketbook!

Thanks, again...you keep writing and I'll keep reading!
Karen Perrone
Dorothy Bruce
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was another example of people so real that it's incredible!

This book continued the Sweeney family saga, with the three sisters and their mom as they continue their lives. The lowcountry stranger is a wonderful addition to their family,but I try never to give away too many details in my reviews. This book had wonderful blessings and dreadful sadness, working out to an incredible read.
I just noticed there is a third book in the series. Totally addicting reading!
  • 31 Ghost Novels to Read Before You Die
  • An Informal Introduction (Informal Romance, #3)
  • Competing with the Star
  • A Kiss and a Dream (Love's Great War #6)
  • Fresh Starts: Bree's Story (Second Chances #3)
  • Molly's Misadventures
  • Scavenger of Souls
  • Heart of the Billionaire (Almost an Angel #2)
  • Novus (The Cresecren Chronicles, #1)
  • Race Girl (The Go Girls Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wendigo Witchling (The Skinwalkers' Witchling #2)
  • Narine of Noe (Faerie Tales from the White Forest, #4)
  • Summoner Rising (Laws of Summoning, #1)
  • The Firefighter's Refrain (Those Marshall Boys, #3)
  • Eternal Mercury
  • Temper
  • The Convergence (The Converters Trilogy, # 1)
  • Me Tarzan -- You Jane

Ashley Farley writes books about women for women. Her characters are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives facing real-life issues. Her goal is to keep you turning the pages until the wee hours of the morning. If her story stays with you long after you've read the last word, then she's done her job.

After her brother died in 1999 of an accidental overdose, she turned to writing as a way of re

Sweeney Sisters (5 books)
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
  • Boots and Bedlam (Sweeney Sisters #3)
  • Tangle of Strings (Sweeney Sisters #4)
  • Saturdays at Sweeney's (Sweeney Sisters #5)