Start by marking “Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)” as Want to Read:
Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)

Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  698 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Family Drama, Southern Style.
There's a stranger in town. And it’s no coincidence when she shows up uninvited at a Sweeney family wedding. All eyes are drawn to this urchin who seems to have washed in with the tide. Before the night is over, the doe-eyed waif charms young and old with her street smarts and spunky personality. For better or worse, Annie Dawn is here to stay
Published July 1st 2016 by Leisure Time Books

To ask other readers questions about Lowcountry Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lowcountry Stranger

☕ Kimberly
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strong family, small town idioms, faith, trust, love, recovery and commitment are all weaved into a tale that offered a nice dose of suspense. Farley shares the perspectives of the three sisters as they go through their daily struggles and become involved with a young stranger who shows up uninvited to a Sweeney Wedding.

The story opens with one of the sister's getting married and I was delighted. Farley updates us on goings on since we last visited in Her Sister’s Shoes. About a year has passed
Anna At A Wondrous Bookshelf
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc, summer-2016
This is book number two of the Sweeney sisters, and I received a copy from Kimberly the Caffeinated Book Reviewer in exchange for my honest review. I was a little hesitant to read the second book in a series when I still had book one, Her Sister’s Shoes, on my TBR list. I’m glad I did. This is my first book by Ashley Farley, and I really loved the way she writes. It seems to me that there’s a strong family element of love, bonding, and loyalty between the sisters that truly fascinated me. I’m an ...more
Debbie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. I found it to be entertaining and a very enjoyable, fun read. You would think that with all the issues these sisters have that you would be thinking "come on, no one family has that much trauma". However, the author has little clues throughout that kind of prepare you for it. As least it did for me. And, when you really think about it, it could happen.

Anyways, I was pretty engrossed into the story early, was on the verge of slapping Sam a couple of times, but I liked it
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Lowcountry Stranger is the first book I’ve read by Ashley Farley but it’s not going to be my last. Her writing immediately engages you and makes you feel a part of the family, and even though I haven’t read the first book in the series I still felt a connection with the characters and the setting. Though … on that note … what I did learn about Her Sister’s Shoes (book one) makes me want to go back and read it!

The third-person narrative switches between the sisters, allowing readers to really get
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Whatever you do, don’t suggest he give up the bourbon and cigars unless you want it to be his first and last visit to the doctor.

I’m a fifty-one-year-old woman, not a disobedient child caught with her hand in the cookie jar five minutes before dinner. Why is it my mother can zap my self-confidence with one cock of her penciled-on eyebrow?

My Review:

I adored this book start to finish and find myself with an unabiding yen for more, as well a strong appetite for shrimp. My Sister’s S
Ann
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I missed book one of the Sweeney Sisters series (Her Sister's shoes). and I sincerely hope that there are several more books to come. This family has a lot of drama in their lives but they all handle it well with the help of their friends and relatives. I had no problems with background because the author gave plenty of background for new readers. I adored little Bitsy and Annie and the relationship they form is a blessing. Sam needs someone to give her a kick in the behind but I ...more
Marleen
May 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Based on the first Sweeney Sisters book, I expected better. I am probably one of the very few who find this book disappointing, especially as the transition between book one and two isn't detailed - and it should have been. It would have given this book more depth.
I didn't find the characters compelling. I didn't find the plot worth mentioning. It was a below average read and, in this genre, there are so much better books out there. Believe me.
What disappointed me, were the sisters, Sam, Faith a
Diane
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lowcountry Stranger is Ashley Farley's second novel in her Sweeney Sister series, first introduced in Her Sister's Shoes. I didn't read the first novel, and when I started Lowcountry Stranger I feared that I would be lost. I admit it took me a few pages to get adjusted, but once I did, I was hooked by this intriguing family's story.

As the book opens, Faith is celebrating her marriage to Dr. Mike in her hometown of Prospect, South Carolina. This is Faith's second marriage, her first was to an abu
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
I was so happy to get back to the Sweeney sisters in the second book of the series. Jackie, Sam and Faith are back with even more family drama than before. But now there is new, young stranger who shows up in their lives. But how much of a stranger is she really?

The Lowcountry Highs

Sweeney Family. I love this family so much. The three sisters, their children and significant others and of course their mother Lovie are all relatable on some level and have gone through so much that I want

Lelia Taylor
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
In August of 2015, I read Her Sister’s Shoes and made the acquaintance of three sisters—Faith, Sam and Jackie—and found them to be appealingly normal with their individual stories adding up overall to a strong tale of what family can and should be. At the time, I hoped to see more of these ladies and others in their wider circle and, lo and behold, here they are again.

The lush lowcountry marshland of South Carolina is the setting for the wedding of Faith and Mike, much anticipated by all includi
Collette
Good read

As with the first book, this one was well written. One BIG problem is the portrail of Bitsy. She is six, seven or eight, depending on where you are in the book but the description of how she is treated and acts is more like a three or four year old. It detracted greatly from the rest of the story.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
What a lovely journey back to the town of Prospect (close to Charleston) and a look into what is happening with the Sweeney family. This is the second book, so make sure you read Her Sister's Shoes first.

All of the sisters have come a long ways from the first book. They had worked through issues but don't think that everything is dandy. There are still some problems that need to be addressed for each sister, but it makes them better women for it by the end of the book.

All three sisters have thei
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lowcountry Stranger is the first book that I have read by Ashley Farley. Although it is book two in The Sweeney Sisters, it can easily be read as a stand alone.

Samantha (Sam), Jackie, Faith and their mother, "Lovie" are a "close knit"family. Eli (Sam's boyfriend), Mike (Faith's new husband) and Bill ( Jackie's husband) and the four children all get along well, care for and look out for each other.

Annie Dawn, a stranger, crashes Faith and Mike's wedding setting the drama, surprises, suspense an
TarHeelGirl00
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drama can be anticipated when three sisters get together. But when that gathering is an outdoor family wedding and a young, uninvited stranger appears, expect emotions to escalate!

Samantha, Jackie, and Faith are back at it in this second installment of the Sweeney Sisters series. I would encourage reading "Her Sister's Shoes," but it is not necessary to have read it before this one. Pertinent details are explained to give new readers a general background, without over-explaining for returning f
Jennifer Ball
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Sweeney Sisters are back, and Ashley Farley seamlessly catches us up on the last year (and fills in any one new to the characters). It looks in the beginning as if all of the sister's lives have fallen into place, and then Annie Dawn arrives at a family wedding, and the drama and intrigue begin! Who is this stranger, and why has she arrived in Prospect? The unfolding story is fast paced and kept me riveted. Each of the sisters, their mother, and their loved ones deal with love, loss, fear of ...more
Susan Peterson
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lowcountry Stranger continues the story of the Sweeney sisters, who we first met in the book Her Sister's Shoes. This book is a strong, heartfelt family drama about Sam, Jackie, and Faith, and their loved ones. At the beginning of this book we are introduced to Annie Dawn, a young girl who charms them all, despite the fact that she's a stranger and seems not entirely trustworthy. At the heart of this book are the sisters, who are all once again facing turmoil and changes in their lives, but they ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Bravo...another great book in the series and understand #3 is coming soon. I want the Sweeney family to adopt me. This is a family with three sisters Faith, Jackie and Sam who involve themselves in each others lives - they take care of each other and their families and are always there no matter what the situation. And there is plenty of drama in this family. From dying friends, to long lost husbands, to abducted children, to love lost but found again. If you read the first book in this series, ...more
Melissa Borsey
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I really loved this book! There was no shortage of drama within this family and it kept my interest throughout! I was truly disappointed to see the story come to an end. I highly recommend this book ahd look forward to reading more by this author!
Tammy Martin
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I started this book I hated to put it down. I would always rush back to see what happened next. The Sweeney sisters have a lot of drama just like real families. This book will keep your attention and make you not want to put it down. An excellent story of the low country. Loved it.
Barb
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. First I read In Her Shoes and this is the sequel about the Sweeney Sisters and their families and problems. Could not put it down. Can't wait for the next book.
Pam
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lowcountry Stranger is book two in the Sweeney Sisters series by Ashley Farley. This is the continuing story of three sisters and their mother who run a seafood grocery store and restaurant in South Carolina. Would Samantha ever find love like her sisters?
Faith was getting married to a doctor. When Faith’s first husband beat her up, Mark was the doctor who tended her. Faith had the resolve to leave her abusive situation and Mark became more than her doctor. Now they were getting married . The o
Jeanne Maliner
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second novel by Ashley Farley that I have read and loved. The sisters' adventures continue with the the addition of Annie Dawn, new to town and a mystery. Who is she? What is she up too? Why is she in town? There are also strange happenings in Faith's household. Is Annie a thief? Could be, but all these questions should make you anxious to read the series yourself. It is a must read for those who love learning about the lives and loves of women in a Southern family.
Claire B. Brock
Just OK

I like the characters in this series but there were things that got on my nerves. The unrealistic temperament of Sam toward Eli. It was taken to far. Then there is the geographical faux pas. When discussing colleges, Tulane and SMU, they were referred to as being in NOLA & Houston - SMU is in Dallas. How did that get past everyone involved in publishing a book? Not sure if I will read the next in series.
Patricia Stubbs
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense, compassion, and just the right amount tenderness combined to make this one to never put down.make this truly abookyou make

One of the best books. Could not put it down! The characterization of each family member is so wonderful! I especially enjoyed reading of the love of each couple without smut!! Keep up the great writing, am a fan forever.
wanda webb
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh be still my heart.

If this book was any. More exciting my heart wouldn't be able to stand it. Great love stories, heart stopping intrigue, tear raising happiness. Couldn't put it down.
tbears
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sweeney Sisters saga continues and this book in the series did not disappoint. Very much enjoyed the new character, Annie and how her tale unfolded. This time around, Sam's insecurities annoyed me. Can't wait to read Book 3!
jeane sinnenberg
Lowcountry Stranger By Ashley Farley

Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2 is a very interesting read! Jackie Sam and Faith have a strong sense of family. I also enjoyed reading about them separately.
Angeline

Katherine Miller
The Sweeney Sisters books are great!

Great books about the Low Country. Love this series. Can't wait to read book 3! They are good, wholesome books, with a little mystery and suspense.
Janet Friesner
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Second book of the Sweeney Sisters series. A continuation of Her Sister's Shoes. Good reading as it just went on with the story of this family. Some sad parts in this one but also some revelations. Looking forward to starting on book number three.
Sherry P Dang
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book

I rate this book as a 5 star because it shocks how this family goes through different episodes in their lives. There's no dull moment at any given time.
I enjoyed how the Sweeney Sisters and family members support one another
  • 31 Ghost Novels to Read Before You Die
  • An Informal Introduction (Informal Romance, #3)
  • Competing with the Star
  • A Kiss and a Dream (Love's Great War #6)
  • Fresh Starts: Bree's Story (Second Chances #3)
  • Molly's Misadventures
  • Scavenger of Souls
  • Heart of the Billionaire (Almost an Angel #2)
  • AQUA (The Arydian Chronicles Book 1)
  • Novus (The Cresecren Chronicles, #1)
  • Race Girl (The Go Girls Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wendigo Witchling (The Skinwalkers' Witchling #2)
  • Narine of Noe (Faerie Tales from the White Forest, #4)
  • Summoner Rising (Laws of Summoning, #1)
  • The Firefighter's Refrain (Those Marshall Boys, #3)
  • Eternal Mercury
  • Temper
  • The Convergence (The Converters Trilogy, # 1)

Ashley Farley writes books about women for women. Her characters are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives facing real-life issues. Her goal is to keep you turning the pages until the wee hours of the morning. If her story stays with you long after you've read the last word, then she's done her job.

After her brother died in 1999 of an accidental overdose, she turned to writing as a way of re
More about Ashley Farley...

Sweeney Sisters (4 books)
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
  • Boots and Bedlam (Sweeney Sisters #3)
  • Tangle of Strings (Sweeney Sisters #4)