Start by marking “Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry” as Want to Read:
Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,524 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews

In the Fifth Edition, authors Dave Nelson and Mike Cox combine the best of the   laboratory and best of the classroom, introducing exciting new developments while communicating basic principles through a variety of new learning tools—from new in-text worked examples and data analysis problems to the breakthrough eBook, which seamlessly integrates the complete text and it

Hardcover, Fifth Edition, 1100 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by W. H. Freeman (first published 1970)

Katy
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say I read every page of this book in 15 weeks, which consumed my entire being! Although nothing I heard in lecture made any sense, I had the book to teach me proper, and that made all the difference. Now I can finally read the other books on my list!!
Miss Ravi
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
بین همهی رمانهایی که خوندم، فقط یه کتاب علمی هست که خوب خوندمش و خوندنش اصلاً مثل خوندن کتابای درسی غمانگیز و طاقتفرسا نبود. شاید واسه اینکه نام خانوادگی مولف اصلی کتاب، آلبرت لنینجر، خیلی شبیه سلینجر بوده. هر چی که هست این تنها کتاب درسیِ موجود بین کتابامه. ...more
Jason
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book finally ties together the threads of courses in all the major biological sub-disciplines (biology, genetics, cell biology, microbiology), and places them firmly in the context of the chemistry of life. Would be a good read in conjunction with an introductory text on physiology.
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
ইয়ে আরেকটা হরর বই :'(
লাইফে কোন বই নিয়ে যদি আতংকে ভুগি তাহলে এইটা পরথমে থাকবে !!! আললাহর অনেক রহমত এই ইয়ারে এই বইটারে পড়তে হচছে একটার পর একটা ভয়াবহ সব রিএকশন, জটিল সব পাথওয়ে না যায় পড়া না যায় মনে রাখা!
Allison
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I obviously did not read this book cover to cover, but the sections that I did read were fairly easy to understand, but also managed to go into a fair amount of detail.
Limblessninja
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of being taught by both of the authors. They are amazing teachers, and this book reflects the clarity of their in-class teaching as well as the depth of their knowledge.

I also have a huge crush on one Mr. David L. Nelson.
Allcaps
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best textbooks I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Hands down.

I still use it today, and I'm not even in school.
Karim Salama
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cann't talk about Lehninger .. He is the supervisor of my supervisors in Egypt .. you can image :)
Dr Hussein Ghaleb one of the most important biochemistry professors in Egypt .. and the world .. He presented Egypt as a member of Unisco in 60's in a very creative project that preserve a large amount of sugar to Cuba .. He started there an idea that can summarized to " formation of a single cell protein from Molasses "
Dr/ Ghalib was Lehninger's student in Germany in 50's i think ..
The conversati
Agustina Dapueto
I didn't actually read the whole book, but most of it, at least around 900 pages. To be honest, I hated having to read this book, because it was for University, and I'll probably will have to read some of it again for finals in July and I will hate even more. Aside from that, this is a really good book! I mean, I didn't like reading it because who likes studying? But it was so useful and well explained, it fulfilled its purpose, it did what no teacher ever could, it taught me metabolism and I un ...more
Sofia
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, textbooks
This book has everything - EVERYTHING - you'll ever need to know about biochem. This is so complete, our lectures were almost completely lifted from it. On the downside, your teacher might be insane and want you to memorize it for the exam.
Meghana Rastogi
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academics
Bible for Biochemistry, easy enough to understand :)
Edma
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, fakultet, ebook
It was a good biochemistry book, even though sometimes I found it a bit overloaded. All in all, it was good and the concepts were explained really well.

Now I have to do the exam.
Elisabeth
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
5th edition. As a biochemistry undergraduate student with an interest in understanding the more comprehensive details of biochemical reactions, I found Lehninger to be very enlightening. For sure, there is a lot of information in this book. It exceeded what I needed to know to succeed in my courses. A strong background in organic chemistry is useful so that you may firmly understand the reaction pathways and molecular interactions. The mechanisms are not advanced, but having a solid understandin ...more
Carmine
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La caduta dall'Olimpo

Perchè valutare un libro di biochimica dentro goodreads?
Per dare un minimo appiglio agli sventurati che decideranno di affrontare una facoltà avente tale materia.
Bene, probabilmente parliamo del miglior manuale di biochimica per lo studente universitario che si affaccia alle facoltà scientifiche.
L'opera si avvale di disegni particolarmente chiari ed esplicativi, nonché di rubriche di approfondimento ed esercizi a fine capitolo molto diversificati e dalla complessità cres
Erin
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm required to read this book, it is very neat how the body works. I am fascinated by how well God has created all of us, and how perfectly we seem to function with ease. It is also neat to understand what happens when the systems are not properly functioning and how it all breaks down. If anyone is interested in learning more about how proteins, carbs, fats and nucleic acids work in the body, pick this book up and start reading.
Dan's Obsessions
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: david, mannie, dies irae, maria fuentes
Recommended to Dan's by: no one..Simply trying to erxpand my knowledge in specific fields
wooah such relief..
.. feelings undescribable, now that I've left that behind

And what can I say, the last Chapter, especially the last few pages was incredible

such lucidity

no drawbacks, or forced assumptions..

& most importantly,there was a continious feedback loop, to previous parts, that having 'digested' them, I could bring back to memory, with only a hint..
[ still I need to research, some stuff I just read a little bit further]
Rohit
Perfect book for undergraduate studies. Good language and detailed content. Most of people think "Biochemistry by Stryer" is better over lehninger but according to me lehninger is the best. It has extra details over Stryer. Language is quite easier in stryer but overall best book for studying fundamentals of biochemistry.
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read all of it, just the parts necessary for my class. Its pretty good with lots of enlightening explanations, illustrations, useful asides, and descriptions of diseases related to defects in the various topics under discussion. Enjoyable.
Abbas Massalmah
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
life-long official textbook of Biochemistry, I basically rate it as a central dogma for those who're enrolled within medicine, it covers everything in the world of biochemistry that makes you able to start your medical research according what you have learnt from it.
Phall Okdompheap
This book is the most important book for learner who are finding the right book to read to increase their knowledge and ability their field. For me, I really want to read this book to find out whatever related to Biochemistry. I hope I could... thank.
♥Xeni♥
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm done with this til (probably) next semester. It's getting marked as read to clear out my shelf a bit. Again.
Damien
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quite good as biochem books go, but not the most readable book ever written.
Drew
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reference
Manages to make an overall complicated subject a much easier pill to swallow. Filled with wonderful diagrams and bundles of information; a true lifesaver.
Jon
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
It's a text book.
Eduardo
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um clássico! Imortal. Não há como estudar bioquímica sem passar por suas páginas..
Abdelaziz
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book
Alan Mclean
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, Lehninger is a principal text for introductory biochemistry and yes, it is amazing. I find the book to be extremely easy to navigate and easy to read (have read a large percentage of the text cover-to-cover). However, for those seriously interested in biochemistry, especially for someone seeking a single biochemistry reference text: You may want to go with Voet & Voet. The information in Lehninger is introductory. Mechanisms/step-by-step synthetic pathways (ex. cholesterol) are not in t ...more
Hannah
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pmc-junior-year
I didn't really read this book, since my Proffessor taught everything in class and I took really good notes. I think I cracked this book only a dozen times, if that. It was easy to understand, but I cannot really judge if it was useful or not as a whole.
Vijay Swamidoss
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laid my foundations of Science, thanks to Lehninger in 1979-80.

Each of the myriad facts, figures, pieces of info I had learned by then fell into its place on the framework of the Scientific knowledge this book taught me to build.
Asya
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: med
That's all I've been reading lately, so I might as well mark it. Best biochemisty textbook - written extremely well. If anyone is interested in biochemistry, this is what they should pick up. You must have some basic knowledge in organic chemistry.
12 Month Loans 1 2 Dec 05, 2015 03:42AM