Start by marking “How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.” as Want to Read:
How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.

How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.

IN THIS EXUBERANT companion story to How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, our young baker sets her sights on a cherry pie. She heads off on a round-the-U.S.A. journey to find all the materials she needs to stock her kitchen: New Mexico for clay (mixing bowl), Washington for wood (rolling pin), Hawaii for sand (sand? to make the glass for her measuring cup, of course ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.

Kathryn
3.5 STARS

I loved Priceman's How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and maybe if I hadn't read that one first, this would have been a solid four-stars for me. But, I found it a bit lacking in comparison.

In this version, the little girl wants to make a cherry pie. But, the pie shop is closed for 4th of July. So, she sets out across the USA to gather the raw materials needed to make the baking instruments she will need: "New Mexico for clay (mixing bowl), Washington for wood (rolling pin), Hawa
Lisa Vegan
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like silly books; for interest in U.S. history, natural resources & their uses; & baking
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
There’s a map! I’m a sucker for maps in books. And, this inside covers map is of the U.S. and includes pictures of things

I recently read this author-illustrator’s book How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and I loved it, so I sought out this book.

It’s a silly but educational story about a girl who wants to bake a cherry pie but she needs a few more things to do that, and the store is closed, so she, and her adorable dog, take a trip across the U.S.A. to procure the necessities. Along the
Krista
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun book! I'm using it in our homeschooling studies as we learn about the states. In the book a little girl travels around to find everything she needs to make a Cherry Pie! Fun illustrations, fun book, that my kids will love. I love how the book includes the Mississippi River because we just received fun items from our penpals from the Mississippi.

This book is great for fun or while learning about the USA. I love the map at the beginning and the end. The ending map shows her tra
Dolly
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and we liked it, so when we saw this 'sequel,' we decided we had to borrow it from our local library.

This tale is a domestic version of the previous one and it is very similar in content. As with the other book, I couldn't help thinking of the If You Give... series by Laura Joffe Numeroff. I think it was just the (mostly) logical progression of actions, one after another.

It was a bit strange, since instead of compiling ingredients to
babyhippoface
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A young girl gives the reader elaborate directions on how to get the things needed to make a cherry pie via the entire United States. A quick look at the natural resources of different regions of the USA, Priceman's book features colorful gouache illustrations of the tundra of Alaska, the clay of New Mexico, the oil-derrick spotted plains of Texas, the beaches of Hawaii, the granite-filled mountains of New Hampshire, and more. This book would make an excellent springboard for a class project on ...more
Alice
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book truly got a LOL from me. I little silly and far fetched but fun and great pictures! I laughed and might learn how to make a pie. Though it is about the USA the recipe for the pie is in Fahrenheit and Celsius and I don't think my newer electronic stove can be converted to Celsius...I guess I will just have to turn the oven on to 425F because my Celsius button of 218 is broken!

FUN ONE for the Fourth of July!!
Karen
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom, jacob, ellie
Mom rates 4 stars, kids 2 stars. I thought the book presented a clever way to learn how to make a cherry pie from SCRATCH and tour the U.S. Will re-visit this book from the library another time and see what the kids think again. 7/20/15
Sam
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to show (at a really accessible level) how a supply chain work for non organic (living/once-living) materials and products we rely on. I think that this would be a wonderful follow up to the Apple Pie book to open up the world to them a little. I do get what some of the other reviewers said about it being completely crazy that she would need to go get her own oil to process into plastic for her measuring cups. HOWEVER I can’t think of a better way to make supply chain more i ...more
Luisa Knight
Cherry pie, sites around the U.S. and learning where some things come from and how they're made. Fun style learning!

Ages: 5 - 9

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Diana
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Oh, this book made me tired. So much work for a cherry pie! Take my advice, skip the whole process here and go, instead, to Sweetie Pies in Fish Creek, Wisconsin. Order one cherry pie and eat the whole thing (with the family, of course!) in one sitting. You won't see the whole country, but it's a lot easier and the pie is so worth it! lol
Linda
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Similar to How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, except instead of gathering ingredients for the pie, the author/character travels the USA collecting the raw materials needed to manufacture the cooking utensils. Shows the variety of natural resources available in the United States and, of course, includes a map of the states. Fun.
Cheryl
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Neither I nor my inner child appreciate these two books. I do like the idea of kids learning a little material science and a little geography, and the recipe is legitimate (in my experience it looks like it will succeed). But otherwise, just not for us.
Heather
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Her other book, How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, is fantastic! Read that one, and skip this one. This one is disjointed and kind of strange.
Kim
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Talks about all the resources that the US has. Metal for pie pan, cotton for the pot holders etc
Lara
I've read How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World as well, and a lot of the same things I like and dislike about that one also apply here. It's the same cute travel idea, but this girl still wants to wander all over everywhere in no particular order for her shopping list.

That being said, this is another cute and silly book introducing travel, cooking, and the idea that ingredients (and materials this time too!) come from different places outside the market. This is another I'd probably use f
Jess El-Zeftawy
I thought it was going to be a good read leading up to Independence Day but it was so boring and the state facts were not great.
Anna
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I preferred the Apple Pie version but still a great read.
Dawn Fielder
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am buying this to use with lower grade geography lessons as well as lessons on regions, and natural resources. It is clever and has a ton of geography in it.
Kimberly
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Damn, this girl has access to some crazy high-speed infrastructure. I am jealous.
Jenna Mitchell
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is done in the same style as How to Make an Apple Pie and see the World, which I loved. The focus is on kitchen implements instead of ingredients, and it takes place in the USA, so kids can learn about some of the states they may not know about. This is a great choice for homeschooling, taught in the spirit of the FIAR study on the first book.

My only rub is the end of the story, which does not follow the spirit of the first book. I feel like that was a missed opportunity, but I still
Barbara Vaughn
Mar 04, 2017 added it
Shelves: educ378
This is a very nice book to share with your student about the United States. All the states the little girl traveling to get the ingredients to make a cherry pie because the bakery shop was closed. I will use this for a text-to-teach connection. This is a fantastic way to teach about the states. The book has very colorful pictures. The little girl chose different ways to travel the states; by airplane, skies, rappelling down mountains, on a boat and bus. Take the students on a great adventure.
Becky
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Ever wondered how a cherry pie is made? Ever wanted to take the scenic route? Going beyond the basic recipe? Sure you could just go to the Cook Shop and buy everything you need to make a pie. But what if that 'Cook Shop' is closed? How far would you go for a piece of cherry pie? (As for me, not very far. I don't like cherries. Period. But I'm willing to imagine--for the sake of fairness--that I do.) In this imaginative book, the reader is sent to state after state after state in search of natura ...more
Leslie Preddy
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-grade 3
In the same style as How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, Marjorie Priceman gives us a taste of American sights, transportation, and natural resources. It is the fourth of July and the bake shop is closed, so our unnamed main character ventures off to make her own by collecting her supplies from throughout the country. She travels by taxi, coal trolley, riverboat, bus, train, ship, and plane. Her travels begin in New York, but take her to states all over the country, including Alaska and ...more
Penelope
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
After reading and enjoying How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, we wanted more and picked up this book. We enjoyed this story which had Priceman's endearing illustrations and storytelling, but like another reviewer, we found this book a bit awkward. Unlike See the World, the girl has her ingredients, but needs to make her utensils; bowl, pie pan, rolling pin, measuring cup, etc. Even still, my daughter enjoyed the journey around the US, especially Alaska.
Luann
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
I guess I need to read How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World because I was disappointed when she didn't go anywhere that grows cherries or any of the ingredients for a cherry pie. How are any of the resources she collects to make the equipment (such as a rolling pin, a measuring cup, a mixing bowl, and a pie plate) specific to a cherry pie? She could have been making any type of pie or many other types of pastries. I did really like the illustrations - especially the cute dog!
Langlie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Complete with a cherry pie recipe and a map of the USA, this story follows a young baker traveling across America to collect all of the ingredients and materials needed to make her cherry pie. I included this book on my favorites shelf because Marjorie Priceman does an excellent job of making this fictional story educational while also keeping it very energetic and engaging. I can see teachers using this book for grades 1-3 when incorporated with a geography unit about the states and/or discussi ...more
Agathafrye
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A rollicking read with great, vivid illustrations. Starts with a recipe for cherry pie, then leads the reader on a cross-country journey to gather supplies because the cooking supply store is closed for the 4th of July. First stop is the corner of Pennsylvania and Ohio, where you will visit a coal mine so that you can gather coal to make steel to make your pie pan. Next stop is Mississippi, where you will eat a bowl of gumbo and gather some cotton to make potholders. You get the idea...
Katherine
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick tour of the USA and a reminder of how much work goes into collecting natural resources and the process of using them to make the objects we use everyday.
Heidi-Marie
While this wouldn't work for a storytime, it's a fun book. I like the pictures. I like the silly-though-teaching aspect of the resources and sites and even history taught as the girl journeys across the USA for supplies to make a pie. Love that it's about non-pie materiels she needs instead of the typical flour, sugar, etc. I love the dog as her companion and a few of the little things seen in the illustrations. A nice read, especially considering the 4th is coming up.

• Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Madam President
  • The Trouble With Dragons
  • The Three Little Tamales
  • Stop Following Me, Moon!
  • Chimpanzees for Tea!
  • Please Please the Bees
  • Tickle
  • Sparrow Girl
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
  • How the Sphinx Got to the Museum
  • Rubia and the Three Osos
  • As Good as Anybody: Martin Luther King and Abraham Joshua Heschel's Amazing March Toward Freedom
  • If You Made a Million