Start by marking “Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)

Hi! Fly Guy

(Fly Guy #1)

When Buzz captures a fly to enter in The Amazing Pet Show, his parents and the judges tell him that a fly cannot be a pet, but Fly Guy proves them wrong.
Published July 1st 2006 by Cartwheel Books (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hi! Fly Guy, please sign up.
Taylor The book prices range from $3.99 to $16.48 depending on the book.

Start your review of Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
Matt
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neo chose to re-read this one to practice his reading, as well as revisit a great series.

Neo's found a new series he likes and wants to share it with the world. One day, a fly is out looking for something to eat when he runs into Buzz, a little boy who is looking for a pet. After they collide, Buzz takes the fly home and convinces his parents that it is the greatest pet ever, especially since it is capable of saying his name. After registering his new pet--Fly Guy--in The Amazing Pet Show, Buzz
Josiah
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Does any series delight beginning readers more than Tedd Arnold's Fly Guy? This tenacious bug has earned a place in the hearts of kids, and it all started in 2005 with the release of Hi, Fly Guy!. The fly doesn't seem extraordinary on page one. He crosses paths with a boy who is wandering the neighborhood hoping to capture a pet to enter in The Amazing Pet Show. The boy scoops up the fly in a glass jar, but is amazed when the insect seems to say his name. "Buzz!" A creature that can speak human ...more
Lstirl
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tedd Arnold combines humor and creative illustrations to create this winner of the Geisel Award.

Ages 4-8

I can see why this book is so appealing to kids. It is funny, fast moving, sweet, and just a little bit gross: a winning combination for the learning to read set. As a beginning reader, though, it seems a bit disjointed. One page will have very easy, rhythmic text like that of a very early reader, then, there are other pages that have longer words, such as surprise and rescue. Most of the sent
Mary
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Illustrated by Tedd Arnold
Level: Elementary
Copywright-2005
Scholastic,Inc.

This books is so amazing! I teach first grade and I am dealing so many students who are trying to read chapter books because alot of their friends are ready for them. I am teaching them to find good fit books.

This is a chapter book that is a very low level. The story is heart warming and silly at the same time. There are many high frequency words which make the story an easy read.
(NS) Lisa
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this Theodore Geisell award winning book a boy searches for the ultimate pet to take with him to 'The Amazing Pet Show'. Against all odds he decides on a fly. Why? Because his name is Buzz and when the fly "stomped his foot and said - BUZZ!"... well you can see where this is going.

In any case, some great silliness ensues and Buzz manages to convince not only his parents but the judges at the pet contest that they ought to at least consider the notion that a fly can be a pet.

This book can be
Jimmy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books when mom read to me!!
Robb Rugeroni
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Arnold, Tedd. Hi! Fly Guy (2005).
“Is he a pest or a pet?” is the question early readers must wrestle with in this 31-page, humor-filled story of a young boy, Buzz, and his very smart pet, a fly. Winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book Award, this first book in a series of eighteen stresses learning phonics as the story unfolds. The story is broken into short chapters. The text is large so that early readers learn the structure of chapter books as well. Page-filling, colorful illustrations
Mortisha Cassavetes
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Such a cute book! This book follows Fly Guy and Buzz, a little boy that catches Fly Guy and wants to make him a pet. The audio book of this story is also very amazing with the cutest sound effects. I highly recommend this book for kids of all ages.
Savannah Rollins
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-308-books
This is a good book for beginner readers because it uses repetition and sound words.
Bob
Oct 17, 2018 added it
The book was amazing! My kids love this book! I would buy 5,000 of them and give them away, so people who can't afford it can have one.
Sharon Erickson
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic developing reader book, my son could not put it down.
Scott Parker
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hola, Hombre Mosca" is about a boy, his pet fly, and a competition; all of it in Spanish. ¡Muy excelente!
Talea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
My daughter had a lot of fun reading this book. It's cute and it kept her interest.
Kacie Jackson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Lauren Murphy
This book was such a sweet early chapter book. It tells a funny story of a little boy who meets a fly and wants to show people that he is a smart fly. The fly and boy go through a couple of different things together like a pet show, and introducing the fly to the boys family. This book would be great for grades 1-3. It gives children the opportunity to practice reading in early chapter books before they enter chapter books.
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
We are always told to never judge a book by its cover, but this one featuring a close-up of Tedd Arnold’s friendly-looking, bug-eyed hero, Fly Guy, on a sparkly, silver holographic cover simply screams “Pick me! Pick me!” It would certainly appeal to reluctant readers. The story begins as a fly sets out looking for food just as a boy embarks upon a quest to find the perfect pet to enter into the town’s Amazing Pet Show. The boy, who’s name happens to be “Buzz” captures the fly in the hopes that ...more
Brooke Nadzam
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Early Reader

Estimate of age level of interest: Grades Pre-K-3

Estimate of reading level: Grade 1

Brief description:

In this early reader book a fly and a boy named Buzz meet, win a pet show, and become best friends.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book:

Early readers have repetitive wording. Hi! Fly Guy has this repetition of words. At the beginning of the book, Buzz is “looki
Bryn
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Genre: K-3 Concept Book?
Grade: K-3
Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book

This book is about a fly that finds a friend in a boy named Buzz. Buzz went out looking for a pet one day and literally runs into the fly. He decides he would be the perfect pet because he could say Buzz's name, so he puts him in a jar and names him Fly Guy. Disregarding his parents wishes, Buzz enters Fly Guy in the fair and Fly Guy wins the award for Smartest Pet.

Activity #1: This book would be great to use for teaching sequencin
Madison Snow
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Hi! Fly Guy begins with a boy and a fly leading separate lives and unexpectedly intertwining. The cover shows a large fly with a happy face. The background is a hologram texture in silver. This background gives the cover a fun feel and intrigues me to read more. The story begins with a fly looking for something to eat when he bumps into a boy looking for a pet. The boy finds a pet and is immediately impressed by it because the fly says the boys name, "Buzz". Buzz thinks he is the smartest fly wh ...more
Rachael
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: esp. early readers, kids who like bugs
My Kiddo used to love bugs, and I don't. I was just hoping he wouldn't want to start collecting them or something. Then, abruptly, he started getting really freaked out by flies. This is a problem when you live in the Midwest. Flies are just something you have to deal with in the summer months. He would beg me to catch the flies and send them back outside-- something I'm not quick enough to do. So, what's a Mommy to do?

One day I remembered a school librarian reading this to one of the classes fo
Rachel Kenney
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: Primary
Reading level: 280 Lexile
Genre: Picture Book
Main Characters: Buzz, Fly Guy
Setting: Buzz's home and neighborhood
POV: Narrator

This book is a fun and quirky text that is sure to get young readers interested. A boy named Buzz is looking for an interesting pet to bring to "The Amazing Pet Show". He wants a pet that is going to be smart. He is happy when he finds his new little friend, Fly Guy! Buzz is impressed that this little fly can say his name... Buzz.
Unfortunate
Katie Urton
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY:
A boy is on the search for a pet to enter into the town's "Amazing Pet Show" when he comes across a fly. The two hit it off and the story begs the question: is a fly a pest or a pet? Triumphantly, Buzz the fly persuades the boy's family, town members, and even the contest judges to see just how multi-talented and "amazing" a fly could be!

EVALUATION:
A wonderfully easy fiction read for lower elementary students, with eye-catching illustrations that are likely to intrigue readers of any lev
Samantha Mcdowell
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
This was an interesting book about Buzz who captures a fly and decides to keep him as his pet that he names Fly Guy. The two become fond of each other and he enters Fly Guy in a pet contest, but he keeps getting told that flies can't be pets until Fly Guy does all kinds of tricks and wins smartest pet.
The cover of this book would make kids pick it up. It is metallic silver with Fly Guy on it. It is very bold and draws kids in. The words inside are big and bold and there are few to a page so it
Amaal
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: Hi! Fly Guy
Author: Tedd Arnold
Date of Publication: 2005
Genre: Fiction/Picture Book/Entertainment
Annotations: Buzz goes looking for a pet when a fly bumps into him. Amazed by flies talents, Buzz takes the fly as a pet and names him Fly Guy. Though everyone says flies are pests rather than pets, Fly Guy does amazing things to change their mind. From there, the friendship of Fly Guy and Buzz blossoms.

This is a really cute book and a good one for beginner readers. The pictures are wonderful!
Anne-thomas Donnelly
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold is a funny easy-to-read book that beginning readers would really enjoy! It is about a boy named Buzz who goes out on a walk on day to find a pet for the Amazing Pet Show and finds a pet fly. He is amazed when he realizes the fly can say his name! Buzz thought this is the smartest pet in the world! He runs home to enter his pet into the show but is saddened when the judges tell him flies aren't pets. This fly was no ordinary fly though, and he did tricks to prove it to ...more
Melanie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, blog
Tedd Arnold's style of both writing and drawing are excellent. each of his books are written in a chapter form even though there are not a lot of words to each chapter. This is the first in a series of books about Buzz and his pet/friend Fly Guy. The pictures are great especially for kids as flies like stinky rotten oozy things so there are a lot of pictures of those, plus the words are wrapped around and through the pictures which makes for a fun and pleasing-to-the-eye read. Great books especi ...more
Marissa Kuhn
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
When Buzz goes looking for a pet to enter into The Amazing Pet Show, he bumps into a fly who is so smart, he knows Buzz's name! Despite everyone's objection that a fly is a pest, Fly Guy proves them wrong.
This book is a great easy reader. The typeface is nice and big with good spacing to help the reader keep their place. The illustrations are not overbearing and only help add to the story. We're never quite sure how Fly Guy will show how smart he is which gives an element of surprise to the sto
Mary Ann
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Our students love-love-love Buzz and his pet fly. "BUZZ!" "You know my name! You are the smartest pet in the world!" It may be Arnold’s goofy cartoon illustrations, but I think they keep coming back for his jokes and wacky observations.
BorcheltFamily
This is the first book my 10 year old read more of because he wanted to know what was going to happen! Breakthrough moment!
Corinne Carr
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book! Was easy for my son to read and understand for his summer reading assignment. He enjoyed reading it as well and asked for more books in the series. Thumbs up!

• Poppleton (Poppleton, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • Sammy the Seal
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Leo the Late Bloomer
  • No, David!
  • Come On, Rain!
  • The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1)
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
  • Ballet Cat: The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • The Crayons' Book of Numbers
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,

Fly Guy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)