Start by marking “Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)

Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  4,846 Ratings  ·  339 Reviews
When Buzz captures a fly to enter in The Amazing Pet Show, his parents and the judges tell him that a fly cannot be a pet, but Fly Guy proves them wrong.
Published July 1st 2006 by Cartwheel Books (first published September 1st 2005)

Lstirl
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tedd Arnold combines humor and creative illustrations to create this winner of the Geisel Award.

Ages 4-8

I can see why this book is so appealing to kids. It is funny, fast moving, sweet, and just a little bit gross: a winning combination for the learning to read set. As a beginning reader, though, it seems a bit disjointed. One page will have very easy, rhythmic text like that of a very early reader, then, there are other pages that have longer words, such as surprise and rescue. Most of the sent
Abdollah zarei
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
نهایتا برای گروه سنی 5 تا هشت سال مناسبه. جذابیت های تصویری خوبی داره و متن روان و ساده و کمش کودک رو به خوندن و ادامه ترغیب می کنه. پنج جلدش رو خوندم. خیلی ساده و یکنواخت بود و تنها برای همون گروهسنی جذابیت داره که واقعا هم خوب تصویرگری شده و رنگبندی های شاد و خوبی داشت
Mary
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Illustrated by Tedd Arnold
Level: Elementary
Copywright-2005
Scholastic,Inc.

This books is so amazing! I teach first grade and I am dealing so many students who are trying to read chapter books because alot of their friends are ready for them. I am teaching them to find good fit books.

This is a chapter book that is a very low level. The story is heart warming and silly at the same time. There are many high frequency words which make the story an easy read.
(NS) Lisa
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this Theodore Geisell award winning book a boy searches for the ultimate pet to take with him to 'The Amazing Pet Show'. Against all odds he decides on a fly. Why? Because his name is Buzz and when the fly "stomped his foot and said - BUZZ!"... well you can see where this is going.

In any case, some great silliness ensues and Buzz manages to convince not only his parents but the judges at the pet contest that they ought to at least consider the notion that a fly can be a pet.

This book can be
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
We are always told to never judge a book by its cover, but this one featuring a close-up of Tedd Arnold’s friendly-looking, bug-eyed hero, Fly Guy, on a sparkly, silver holographic cover simply screams “Pick me! Pick me!” It would certainly appeal to reluctant readers. The story begins as a fly sets out looking for food just as a boy embarks upon a quest to find the perfect pet to enter into the town’s Amazing Pet Show. The boy, who’s name happens to be “Buzz” captures the fly in the hopes that ...more
Brooke Nadzam
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Early Reader

Estimate of age level of interest: Grades Pre-K-3

Estimate of reading level: Grade 1

Brief description:

In this early reader book a fly and a boy named Buzz meet, win a pet show, and become best friends.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book:

Early readers have repetitive wording. Hi! Fly Guy has this repetition of words. At the beginning of the book, Buzz is “looki
Bryn
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Genre: K-3 Concept Book?
Grade: K-3
Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book

This book is about a fly that finds a friend in a boy named Buzz. Buzz went out looking for a pet one day and literally runs into the fly. He decides he would be the perfect pet because he could say Buzz's name, so he puts him in a jar and names him Fly Guy. Disregarding his parents wishes, Buzz enters Fly Guy in the fair and Fly Guy wins the award for Smartest Pet.

Activity #1: This book would be great to use for teaching sequencin
Madison Snow
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Hi! Fly Guy begins with a boy and a fly leading separate lives and unexpectedly intertwining. The cover shows a large fly with a happy face. The background is a hologram texture in silver. This background gives the cover a fun feel and intrigues me to read more. The story begins with a fly looking for something to eat when he bumps into a boy looking for a pet. The boy finds a pet and is immediately impressed by it because the fly says the boys name, "Buzz". Buzz thinks he is the smartest fly wh ...more
Rachael
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: esp. early readers, kids who like bugs
My Kiddo used to love bugs, and I don't. I was just hoping he wouldn't want to start collecting them or something. Then, abruptly, he started getting really freaked out by flies. This is a problem when you live in the Midwest. Flies are just something you have to deal with in the summer months. He would beg me to catch the flies and send them back outside-- something I'm not quick enough to do. So, what's a Mommy to do?

One day I remembered a school librarian reading this to one of the classes fo
Rachel Kenney
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: Primary
Reading level: 280 Lexile
Genre: Picture Book
Main Characters: Buzz, Fly Guy
Setting: Buzz's home and neighborhood
POV: Narrator

This book is a fun and quirky text that is sure to get young readers interested. A boy named Buzz is looking for an interesting pet to bring to "The Amazing Pet Show". He wants a pet that is going to be smart. He is happy when he finds his new little friend, Fly Guy! Buzz is impressed that this little fly can say his name... Buzz.
Unfortunate
Katie Urton
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY:
A boy is on the search for a pet to enter into the town's "Amazing Pet Show" when he comes across a fly. The two hit it off and the story begs the question: is a fly a pest or a pet? Triumphantly, Buzz the fly persuades the boy's family, town members, and even the contest judges to see just how multi-talented and "amazing" a fly could be!

EVALUATION:
A wonderfully easy fiction read for lower elementary students, with eye-catching illustrations that are likely to intrigue readers of any lev
Samantha Mcdowell
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
This was an interesting book about Buzz who captures a fly and decides to keep him as his pet that he names Fly Guy. The two become fond of each other and he enters Fly Guy in a pet contest, but he keeps getting told that flies can't be pets until Fly Guy does all kinds of tricks and wins smartest pet.
The cover of this book would make kids pick it up. It is metallic silver with Fly Guy on it. It is very bold and draws kids in. The words inside are big and bold and there are few to a page so it
Amaal
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: Hi! Fly Guy
Author: Tedd Arnold
Date of Publication: 2005
Genre: Fiction/Picture Book/Entertainment
Annotations: Buzz goes looking for a pet when a fly bumps into him. Amazed by flies talents, Buzz takes the fly as a pet and names him Fly Guy. Though everyone says flies are pests rather than pets, Fly Guy does amazing things to change their mind. From there, the friendship of Fly Guy and Buzz blossoms.

This is a really cute book and a good one for beginner readers. The pictures are wonderful!
Anne-thomas Donnelly
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold is a funny easy-to-read book that beginning readers would really enjoy! It is about a boy named Buzz who goes out on a walk on day to find a pet for the Amazing Pet Show and finds a pet fly. He is amazed when he realizes the fly can say his name! Buzz thought this is the smartest pet in the world! He runs home to enter his pet into the show but is saddened when the judges tell him flies aren't pets. This fly was no ordinary fly though, and he did tricks to prove it to ...more
Melanie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, blog
Tedd Arnold's style of both writing and drawing are excellent. each of his books are written in a chapter form even though there are not a lot of words to each chapter. This is the first in a series of books about Buzz and his pet/friend Fly Guy. The pictures are great especially for kids as flies like stinky rotten oozy things so there are a lot of pictures of those, plus the words are wrapped around and through the pictures which makes for a fun and pleasing-to-the-eye read. Great books especi ...more
Marissa Kuhn
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
When Buzz goes looking for a pet to enter into The Amazing Pet Show, he bumps into a fly who is so smart, he knows Buzz's name! Despite everyone's objection that a fly is a pest, Fly Guy proves them wrong.
This book is a great easy reader. The typeface is nice and big with good spacing to help the reader keep their place. The illustrations are not overbearing and only help add to the story. We're never quite sure how Fly Guy will show how smart he is which gives an element of surprise to the sto
Mary Ann
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Our students love-love-love Buzz and his pet fly. "BUZZ!" "You know my name! You are the smartest pet in the world!" It may be Arnold’s goofy cartoon illustrations, but I think they keep coming back for his jokes and wacky observations.
Vanessa
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hombre Mosca estaba buscando algo para comer. Zumbido estaba buscando una mascota. Los dos se encuentran y una hermosa amistad comienza.
Corinne Carr
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book! Was easy for my son to read and understand for his summer reading assignment. He enjoyed reading it as well and asked for more books in the series. Thumbs up!
Anna Nesterovich
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A very simplistic book, but a shiny cover and a funny fast plot do the trick - it had been an every-evening-reading in our house for a while.
BorcheltFamily
This is the first book my 10 year old read more of because he wanted to know what was going to happen! Breakthrough moment!
Christine Smith

Copyright date: 2005

Estimate of age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: 1.4

Brief description:
Fly’s can’t be pets!! At least that is what Buzz’s parents and the judges of the Amazing Pet Show state, however, both Fly Guy and Buzz go out to prove them wrong!

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and sub genre and discuss how they appear in your book.
As an easy reade
Paige Hirsch
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. "Hi! Fly Guy" by Tedd Arnold is a book about a fly who enters a pet show. A boy catches the fly and the fly calls him by his name. His parents think that the fly is not a pet. However, the fly proves how smart he is and becomes the smartest pet in the show.

2. My children love the story of fly guy. They like looking at the pet show and the judges. They enjoy the pictures and the tricks that the fly performs. It is a goofy story and the children laugh.

3. I would pair this book with "Super Fly G
Lexie Haarsma
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
This was okay, I wasn't a huge fan. I have seen this book many times but had never read it or learned what it is about. A boy and a fly become friends and the boy would like for the fly to be in "The Amazing Pet Show". The judges say that a fly can not be considered a pet, but Fly Guy does an amazing job and the judges are surprised and everyone loves him. Fly guy ends up winning smartest pet. I think this story would be a nice easy read for young boys. Maybe 2nd grade. It has a nice lesson to i ...more
Kate Sanders
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are quite funny. The expression on the fly's face throughout the book is accurate to what a fly might be feeling. It's a short book and an easy read that young students would also find funny.
Sarri Tate Gibson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-reader
This is a funny book where a fly and a kid meet and become friends. Buzz's parents are not so sure that the friendship is a good idea at first but eventually come around. The humor is definitely 'slapstick'- good for young kids!
Kary
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love Fly Guy!
Jessica
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This one was on my son's summer reading list for incoming 2nd graders. It was a pretty quick read with only a few chapters. He enjoyed it and is looking forward to reading more in the series.
Rhyme Owens
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I thought Hi! Fly Guy was amazing, because the cover looks really cool and the story was really good too!
accountt2
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome!!
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Tooth Trouble
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas (Henry and Mudge, #26)
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,
More about Tedd Arnold...

Fly Guy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)