Start by marking “Hi, Pizza Man!” as Want to Read:
Hi, Pizza Man!

Hi, Pizza Man!

New release from Purple House Press, August 2017!

It all begins with a simple question posed by a patient mother when her impatient toddler shouts, 'I'm hungry!' 'What will you say when the doorbell rings and we open the door?' asks Mom. 'Hi, Pizza Man!' replies the thoughtful child. . . .(But) what if it's a pizza woman?. . . a pizza kitty?. . . a pizza duck?. . . The
Published September 1st 1998 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hi, Pizza Man!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi, Pizza Man!

Start your review of Hi, Pizza Man!
Dixie Goode
It will be a long time before I can post a finish date for this delightfully simple, funny, entertaining picture book. My 14 month old granddaughter and I checked it out from the library because she loves pizza, books and cows, and we saw a pizza delivery cow in the book, and a door to knock on, just like in "Where's Spot?" Since we got it home we have read it maybe 700 times, in 48 hours. We now know exactly when to yell "MaMa!" Where to wave, how to hiss like a snake and roar like a dinosaur. ...more
Salima Sikandar
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very creative for the children. This book can be use for so many purposes that is for imagination, for different professions and for the animals sound as well. The pictures are so bright and very colorful so the children can keep an interest.

About the Author:
This book is written by Virginia Walter.She is a professor and chair at the Department of Information Studies in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her
Samantha
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this in storytime this morning and was reminded just how great this book is. Readers greet the different pizza delivery men, women, and animals with their own unique message. Great read aloud. PreK-2
Caitlin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just did a field test with this book. ROWDY group of preschoolers who enjoy creating a mosh pit during my storytimes, it's usually utter chaos. But the minute I started this story.... I had their undivided attention. Praise be to the Pizza Man.
Danie P.
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. A young girl learns to say Hello to the Pizza Man. But what if a cow delivers the pizza, then what? You say Mooo Moo Cow. This story goes through different animals until finally the pizza is delievered.
Molly
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A little girl imagines what she'll say if various animals bring the pizza her family has ordered for dinner. This book had my storytime kids roaring with laughter. It was a big hit.
Jessica Gerlacher
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an incredible book for toddler aged children. The illustrations are incredible and use a variety of bright colors. The book shows which animal noises are associated with each animal. Each page has only a few words and the book follows a pattern of repetition so it is a great book for younger kids to read to help them learn their sounds and pronunciation of words. It has a sing song rhythm when read aloud which makes younger kids incredibly excited to read it. Overall this book is a great ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Vivian and Mom are waiting for delivery pizza. While they wait, Mom asks what Vivian should say when she opens the door. A fun and imaginative story about different animals who could deliver pizza. The preschoolers had a lot of fun reading this story with me.

2017 storytime theme: pizza

Reviewed from a library copy.
Deborah
Hi, Pizza Man! is one of my all time ever favorite books to read aloud to a child on your lap, or for story time. It is just so much fun! What kid doesn't like waiting for the delivery man (or woman) to bring pizza to their home. Reading this book makes waiting for the pizza to arrive just so much more fun, and triggers their imagination.
Carrie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The parent character has a clever way to distract their child while they're waiting, but it's not a book that exactly holds my attention. It is a fun "guess the greeting/animal sound before I turn the page" sort of thing, though.
Andrew
Building Block Winner

Cute story about a patient mother and her impatient child 'I'm hungry'.

Well, what would you say to the pizza...uh...deliverer?

Good humor. Good storytime suggestion. Thanks to Jill/Sarah for the suggestion.

I can see the appeal for kids.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Fun to guess which animal is next and make the noises. Such fun in toddler and preschooler storytimes.
Melissa
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
You can't go wrong distracting a kid with animal sounds.
Meghan Hunt
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This will be a fun book to read for a storytime about food.
Trina Evans
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my son's favorite books for me to read to him when he was little!
Miss Lou
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A silly, simple, and fun read aloud for little ones of all ages, both one-on-one or big group participation.
Milton Louie
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have the children anticipating who will deliver the pizza! B
Megan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eating/food, pizza, animals
Samantha
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay. I think I will appreciate this more when I have small children and need to teach them to wait.
Emily Carlyn
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Everyone loves this story!!! Guessing who will be at the door each time is so fun. Very much a laugh out loud story and kids can join in by saying "Hi" to whoever is at the door.
John Yelverton
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The artwork is good, but the story is not of a mother trying to distract her daughter with all the various incarnations of who could possibly deliver their pizza.
John
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because she asks "is it a pizza [spoiler alert] dog, pizza snake, pizza cat, or is it a pizza man?"
James
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny
Leslie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heard about this book from my Storytime peeps and my copy just arrived. I’m looking forward to sharing it with some Kindergarten students this week!
Nathan
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever way to pass time, waiting for a pizza delivery.
MJ
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lots of creatures delivered pizza.
Richard Lurie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-melvin
My kid loves this book. He asks for it every night since we got it from the library. I have probably read it 30 times by now. :)

P.S. Hi pizza dinosaur!
Halli
Kids (and their grown-ups) roaring with laughter at Preschool storytime = huge success!
Heidi
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hi, Pizza Man is a hilarious picture book about a little girl waiting for pizza dinner to be delivered. It was published in1995; written by Virginia Walter and illustrated by Ponder Goenabel. This book is recommended for readers around the ages of 2-5. A mother poses scenarios were various animals deliver the pizza instead of a human. Children can have fun making the animal noises while learning how to politely greet service workers, no matter who they are . The illustrations are colorful and ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Time Machine
Again, again! A Read-It-One-More-Time book, March 10, 2005

I am just so sorry that this book is out of print and soooo expensive. It is just wonderful and my kids (boy and girl; now 3 and 5) ask for it at least 3 times a year (and I know we would read it even more often if we owned a copy).

Principally, this is a story all about waiting for dinner to arrive. Little Vivian has been patient but now toys can no longer distract her, which is when Mom steps in to exercise a little
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pete's a Pizza
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Bark, George