Start by marking “The Story of Kansas” as Want to Read:
The Story of Kansas

The Story of Kansas

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  2 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
"Very deeply has Kansas been influenced by the fact that it is the central state. Since it is between the East and the West it is crossed by highways, railroads and air lines for the convenience of those traveling from one part of the country to another. In the early days the covered wagon trails crossed Kansas.

Kansas once became a battleground between the North and the S
Published 1953 by The State of Kansas

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Kansas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Kansas

Julia
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-format-book, kansas
Although the book is definitely outdated and politically incorrect in some of the usage of the words it is one I wish we had been provided when I was going through my Kansas History classes. The information starts at the very beginning in the geological timeframe before progressing to history, economics and politics, especially with the latter appearing more heavily towards the end.

It was also quite refreshing to be able to learn more about the places where I grew up and have associated with a
Don Heiman
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In 1953, The Kansas State Historical Society published Bliss Isley and WR Richards' book "The Story of Kansas". During my 1961 eighth grade year, the Sisters of Charity at Saint Ann's in Prairie Village, Kansas used this book for their civics instruction text. 55 years later I reread the text which was recently lent to me from a school mate and boyhood neighbor. I remember the text well. This book influenced my choice of career and graduate school studies. It is a very powerful read.
Cws