Start by marking “Love Can't Conquer (Love Can't Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Can't Conquer (Love Can't Series, #1)

Love Can't Conquer

(Love Can't #1)

Bullied as a child in small-town Kansas, Jeremy Cox ultimately escaped to Portland, Oregon. Now in his forties, he’s an urban park ranger who does his best to rescue runaways and other street people. His ex-boyfriend, Donny—lost to drinking and drugs six years earlier—appears on his doorstep and inadvertently drags Jeremy into danger. As if dealing with Donny’s issues does ...more
Published June 3rd 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Can't Conquer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Can't Conquer

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is another gorgeous contemporary love story from Kim Fielding, whom I blame for many, many sleepless nights. I can't put her books down, and this one was no exception.

Love Can't Conquer reminds me of Fielding's Rattlesnake, which ended up on my top 10 books of 2015 list. If you liked Rattlesnake, you will like this book, which also features two very real, imperfect MCs, heartwrenching angst, strong secondary characters, and a hard-earned HEA.

Jeremy Cox, a park ranger in Portland whom ever
Gigi
It's release day! This is in my top 10 for the year. Highly recommended!

I just LOVE a good book about selfless, honest, dependable, kind, caring, nurturing men. The kind of man who sees all the good in people and never judges. Well, get ready for Jeremy Cox! He is Love Can't Conquer's answer to Shane Little from Rattlesnake. If you loved Shane, you will love Jeremy. If you loved Rattlesnake, you will love Love Can't Conquer.

Qayin Hill has led a disaster of a life. His childhood and teen years we
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I am the HUGEST fan of Kim Fielding, but this book took a lot out of me. I've read dozens of books with romances between former addicts, but Love Can't Conquer sort of took it to another level. If it wasn't for Fielding's slick, polished writing, I think I would have DNFed this one.

This story has a lot of surprises in it, few of them good for the characters. There are a lot of twists and turns, and I would actually classify this book as a romantic suspense/contemporary hybrid. I'm not a big fan
Meep
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this though I didn't like it quite as much as the second book in the series. The tone is more subdued due to the themes, namely addiction, which I thought were covered well. Has a similar vibe to Rattlesnake if you enjoyed that there's a good chance you'll like this. Both books can be read as standalones, though if you read out of order *guilty* you'll be spoiled for big plot events.

Jeremy has an element of too good to be true about him, but in romance world sometimes a larger than life,
Renée
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

I just rated a Kim Fielding book 3.75 stars. You need to know that I'm literally cringing while looking at that number, cuz.......KIM FIELDING! I've pretty much adored everything I've read by her.

This was about MY issues though. The writing is as superb as ever. But I wasn't aware that the story would have the pet peeves of mine that it did. And I can't ignore those.....I just can't.

Readers need to pay close attention to the title. It not only gives you a glimpse into the theme, which
Kaje Harper
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
One thing I look for in a book with a character whose past was dark and painful, like Qay's was, is a real acknowledgement of how hard that is to overcome. Qay left his past when he was a teen by literally killing off the boy he was, and remaking himself.

But I liked that he didn't do it in a picturesque way. He did it with detours via drugs, and mental illness, and petty crime, and he fell to the drugs for a long time. He didn't "find himself" without a long slow climb out of the depths, and hi
Ami
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
"You can’t conquer everything with love. But it sure makes a hell of an ally"

What a beautiful and wise saying -- and that is the core of this story about two men in their forties, each with their own baggage, who found each other and in that sense also help each other (it had a rather happenstance circumstances to it, which always wonderful in romance). It was in the same vein of another Fielding's book, Rattlesnake, which was released last year.

I found this to be well-written and grounded;
Ele
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
~3.5 stars~

It pains me. It pains me that I didn't just love this book.

Kim Fielding is such a talented storyteller and her writing speaks to my soul each and every time. In that aspect, Love Can't Conquer was no exception. The characters are very well-sketched and come alive through the pages, the writing is evocative, and the setting is perfect.

So technically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the story. It just didn't appeal to me all that much. I lost interest somewhere along the way and
Kim
Apr 26, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a Noisy Neighbor. Every weekend when the weather is nice--most of the year around here--he blasts music in his back yard. Luckily, I don't hate all of his musical choices, although I have to admit that sometimes I'm tempted to play Sex Pistols or maybe Dubioza Kolektiv REALLY LOUD in self defense. But I have him to thank for this book, because one day last fall he was treating the neighborhood to Bobbie Gentry singing "Ode to Billie Joe"--and a huge plot bunny landed right in my lap.

That
Simone
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-drama, series
***4.5 Stars***
"You can’t conquer everything with love. But it sure makes a hell of an ally."

Although I loved this a tiny little bit less than Rattlesnake, Love Can't Conquer is another wonderful and heartwarming tale about two damaged souls who must battle their inner demons to have a second chance of happiness.

It is a story about guilt and self-forgiveness. A story about inner strength, despite temptation lurking around each corner and about not giving up, against all odds. It is a story
Jewel
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love Can't Conquer is yet another beautiful story by the amazing Kim Fielding. Two men, both of whom have seen more than their fair of shadows. Both of whom carry baggage. Both of whom are survivors. Plus, both MC's are in their 40's, which I loved. They felt real to me.

Jeremy Cox was bullied a lot when he was growing up in Small Town America in the 1980's. He was pudgy and nerdy and an easy target for other boys who felt that knocking others down was the way to be a man. So he bided his time an
Adam

This was a good start to Kim Fielding's new series.

Jeremy Cox, an urban park ranger, is intrigued by the quiet stranger he meets at a his favourite coffee shop, and soon asks him out on a date. Qay Hill is a former addict trying to turn his life around, but his anxiety makes it difficult for him to interact with others. He's sure it won't take long for Jeremy to come to his senses and realize that Qay isn't a catch.

Jeremy is a fairly stereotypical do-gooder romance lead. His childhood w
Line
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Price drop at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Love-Cant-Co...
BWT (Belen)
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. I'll admit I was a bit surprised, not that I liked it, after reading other reviews I was afraid it was going to be much more angsty and dark than I actually found it to be.

I loved Jeremy and Qay and all the other characters. The story flows easily, and there's plenty of feels, which makes up for the low steam.

The one thing that rankled me during the whole story is Jeremy's money...Was it an inheritance? I can't imagine a Park Ranger makes much. I don't know, maybe I miss
River
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I don't know why it took me so long to read this book, It was so good I couldn't stop reading.
Daphne
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, m-m-read
3 stars.

Maybe this is a case of my expectations being too high for this book because I loved Motel.Pool and Rattlesnake. In any event, I liked this book well enough but I didn't love it.

Qay and Jeremy had so much history, so much potential for a deep connection, but it wasn't mined all the way. Qay's name, for example (unless that was just the author using a deft touch when I was looking for a sledgehammer). What I missed most was the two of them working things out together. For much of the st
Christy
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc, on-my-kindle
"When the night has been too lonely and the road has been too long
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose"

~ Amanda McBroom

I can honestly admit that I was a little hesitant when I read the description of 'Love Can't Conquer', Kim Fielding's newest release. Not because it didn't sound good, but because I worried that I would become way too emotionally in
Mirjam
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm

This was a boring read; the start of it was okay, with Jeremy rescuing Toad. I did feel like that Jeremy was out of touch and just a tad bit too good to be true, like I said boring. Reading about his childhood could maybe make his character more believable; the lack of his parents's involvement in his life and the bullying he suffered made him grow up to be a strong person who respected, and was respected, by everyone, although also a bit over-the-top. Qay's past of child abuse was indeed a sad
Nerea
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and hard story ~ 3.75*

The two main characters had been broken at their childhood but take a very different path. One, becoming a model role in the society and the other drooling at life's dark side.

But the destiny reunites them in some difficult situations and must get over several obstacles that would define their lifestyle and of course their relationship.

I think is a really good book, a super interesting plot, some surprises and lovely characters (Not only the MCs, we get to know s
Lisa
After spending his high school years being bullied Jeremy goes away to college in Oregen. There he meets a man in the local coffee shop and after a while starts a relationship with him.
Qay has demons of his own, sober for seven years he struggles to get through.
However, he has a secret.
I liked this book. It was gritty whilst not being over the top and depressing. I was rooting for Jeremy and Qay to get their HEA.
Loved the cast of secondary characters and can't wait to find out what happens next
Chappy
Deeply satisfied after inhaling this book. I'm a big fan of Kim Fielding and she doesn't disappoint.

Jeremy has such a good heart and a body to match. He wants to help people and to hopefully make a difference. Qay on the other hand is struggling through life and can't rely on anyone. These 2 hit a few potholes along the way but eventually break through to something real. **sigh**
Aerin
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series
Kim Fielding writes my favorite kind of books, full of feelings and emotions, with real characters who are not perfect nor do they strive to be. Her books are not as steamy as I'd like and yet the storytelling and the writing make up for the little things that are lacking. Who needs sex in every chapter when they get characters that are real and so easy to relate to?

Jeremy and Qayin are not young chickens who experiment with love; they're both in their 40's and they feel very single one of those
justanya
One of my favorite guilty pleasures is reading about MC’s hooking up with their crushes years after high school. There’s something special IMO about someone knowing you when you weren’t at your best. That torturous time in your life when you were vulnerable, insecure and felt like it would define who you are forever….

Love Can’t Conquer begins with our MC’s meeting each other in high school. Jeremy was a young, scrawny bullied underclassmen who couldn’t help blushing whenever he made eye contact
Lori
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, bmbr-reads, series
Kim Fielding is an author I always forget I like, so when I pick up a new book from her I'm generally utterly pleasantly surprised by it. I totally need to keep her more on my radar because with enjoyable reads like Love Can't Conquer she really should be an auto buy author for me.

This is the kind of angst I like. It's very... person orientated. Drama for the sake of drama is a big turn off for me, any drama and angst needs to be a part of the story, part of the characters, and not just there to
Chris
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - two damaged souls eventually finding peace. Both carried pain from their childhood and yet both Jeremy & Qay dealt with this pain in vastly different ways.
This book is all about love, forgiveness and redemption. While there were dramas aplenty, it was the threaded theme that captured me - friendship and compassion, which is something we should all consider before we too quickly judge ❤
Cory
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You really can't go wrong when you pick up a Kim Fielding book. This sucked me in from the very beginning and I didn't put it down until I was finished. Loved Qay and loved Jeremy. And how could I not love Rhoda! So great!!
Lissa
Well, I'm tapping out at about 60%. I just cannot bring myself to finish this book.

Kim Fielding is normally one of my go-to m/m romance authors, and I am sad that I didn't enjoy this book. It sounded promising - like most of her books, it has two "damaged" guys who are trying to make their ways in a world that, let's face, sometimes just isn't fair. But what made me dislike this book, I believe, is that the characters don't feel "equal" to me. Jeremy is nearly perfect - he's caring and kind and
Anke
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, after quite some time I finally finished this book. First I couldn't get into it, then it was nice enough only to suddenly turn quite brutal. And after all this build-up the whole suspense storyline just fizzled out. Then some additional drama was needed (no idea why instead of just working on the suspense storyline that was there already), but at that point I already lost my interest.

Lisa The Novel Approach
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again Kim Fielding has given us a beautifully written love story. In Love Can’t Conquer we meet two men who are carrying internal scars from their pasts. One has a big heart and will do everything in his power to help people; the other can’t seem to let anyone in—he just doesn’t think he’s worthy.

Jeremy grew up in a small town. Bullied at school. Home life sucked. He was miserable and couldn’t wait for the day he could escape. As a grown man in his forties, he’s not that pudgy, nerdy kid ev
Javi
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: M/M Fans
Well, that was a decent novel. I'm not super enthusiastic about it as I had some trouble relating to the characters, mainly because of lack of definition and also because of an insane case of insta-love that kind of ruined what would have been for sure a very good slow burn romance. It tells the story of Jeremy, a park ranger in Portland, Oregon who is having some kind of midlife crisis for no apparent reason. One night his junkie ex boyfriend shows up at his doorstep putting Jeremy in harm's wa ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Solitary Man
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Guardians Of The Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #5)
  • In a Dark Wood (In a Dark Wood, #1)
  • Death's Ink-Black Shadow (More Heat Than the Sun, #6)
  • Xylophone
  • Billy's Bones
  • Corruption (Diversion #3)
  • Five-Sided Heart
  • Waiting for the Flood
  • Puzzle Me This
  • Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more

Love Can't (3 books)
  • No Place Like Home (Love Can't Series, #1.5)
  • Love is Heartless (Love Can't Series, #2)
“You can’t conquer everything with love. But it sure makes a hell of an ally.” 1 likes
“Inside every man was the boy he used to be. No matter how much bigger he'd grown or how many miles he'd traveled. No matter how high the bridge from which he'd leaped.” 0 likes