Start by marking “Allegedly” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  9,471 ratings  ·  2,112 reviews
Mary B. Addison killed a baby.

Allegedly. She didn’t say much in that first interview with detectives, and the media filled in the only blanks that mattered: A white baby had died while under the care of a churchgoing black woman and her nine-year-old daughter. The public convicted Mary and the jury made it official. But did she do it? She wouldn’t say.

Mary survived six yea
Published January 24th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Allegedly, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sara Weather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hailey
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Well, people tend not to think clearly when a black girl is suspected of killing a little white girl,” Ms. Cora says.

Allegedly is dark, gritty and disturbing. Sometimes the best kind of books are those that make me sad, afraid and just FURIOUS for the characters - and this was one of those books. If you want to be angry, then put this on your reading list.

In fact, it was a solid five-star read up until the very last chapter. The ending took a turn that I thought weakened the story; throwing i
Deanna
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at:

Oh my...

ALL THE STARS!!

This is a dark, emotional, twisted, and powerful novel that blew my mind.

Mary B. Addison killed a baby when she was just nine years old...

Allegedly

Three month old Alyssa Richardson was taken care of by Mary's mother, Dawn Marie Cooper. Mary would often be present in the Richardson household while her mother was working. She grew very attached to both Alyssa and Mrs. Richardson.

Six years later, Mary. B
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4 stars*

This story spoke to me in a voice so pained and confused and hopeless: An eight year old girl convicted of murdering of an infant. Allegedly.

The plot is set eight years after with Mary, now sixteen, living in a group home amongst other “troubled” girls, facing an everyday fight for her own survival.

Mary is still just as pained and confused and hopeless, and I can almost feel her not looking me in the eye as she tells me her story.

I loved this book just about all the way through; its
C.G. Drews
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to C.G. by: Maraia
THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD AND YET SO MESSED UP. Which equals marvellousness, obviously, and unfortunately it makes it impossible to review. I recommend going into it blind!! I do!! All you need to know is that it that YOU NEVER HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION and also YOU WILL CRY. Because this book is insufferably painful and unfair. The amount of heinous abuse Mary goes through absolutely smashed me in the guts. Everything was horrible. And if a teeny tiny microscopically good thing happened to Mary, I j ...more
Jennifer Masterson
This is going to be one of my favorite books this year! Although I've only made it through four books so far! Lol! Book ruts happen!

Absolutely phenomenal debut by Tiffany D. Jackson! All the feels! This was probably one of the best audio's I have ever listened to. The narrator, Bahni Turpin, hits it out of the park! Truly brilliant! I will be listening to more of her audio's in the near future. That's for sure. She's so good!

Mary B. Addison is 15 and in a group home/halfway house. She "allegedl
Beyond compelling. Well-crafted. Simply unputdownable. I could not stop reading until I found out the truth. It’s shocking that this is only the author’s debut!

Mary B. Addison allegedly killed a baby at nine years old. Mary’s mother was babysitting the three month old baby when it happened. She never said what happened, but was convicted anyway and has rarely spoken since. Did Mary do what everyone says she did?
Guess birthdays don’t mean nothing in a group home. I mean, it kind of makes sense.
Elyse Walters
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best things this book did for me was have me explore more about the
American juvenile justice system. I found myself reading about other high profile cases about children who commit murder, the psychology behind it, and punishment.

The current debate on juvenile justice reform in the United States focuses on the root of racial and economic discrepancies in the
incarcerated youth population. Zero tolerance policies in schools have increased and numbers of young people facing detention. L
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars! This was an intense, gripping and powerful read! And that ending!?!?!?.....I’m still working on picking my jaw up off the floor……

The story follows Mary who, at the age of nine, was convicted of murdering a three-month-old baby. Mary is now fifteen years old and living in a group home after surviving six years in “baby jail”. Mary’s situation really got to me – I found myself rooting for her from the first chapter.

The novel is highly emotional, disturbing and very sad at times. With tha
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Even though I could say Allegedly is an intensely gripping read, I honestly could not read more than three to four chapters a day. It was a tough, really exhausting read. Normally, I could finish a book in two days, one if it’s an easy read but I had to stop reading Allegedly every after a few chapters and read something light and fun because the plot of this story is like a hard punch in the gut. It’s blatant, it’s violent, it’s nasty, it’s gritty, it’s painful and you just have to have enough ...more
megs_bookrack
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allegedly was Tiffany D. Jackson's debut novel. I am still reeling from this book. I finished it last week and have been thinking about it ever since. It is hard for me to wrap my head around this being her first book. I have already purchased Monday's Not Coming and am really looking forward to reading that as well.

This novel follows, Mary Addison, after being released from 'baby jail', she is living in a group home and trying to get her life on track. Mary was sent to 'baby jail' for killing a
Erin
Tiffany Jackson is an evil, evil person. She wrote a book that made me feel every single emotion. Anger, so much anger. Rage(yes there's a difference between anger and rage) this book gave me a migraine. Sadness, I had a pit in my stomach there entire time I read it. Allegedly is a dark read, it will ruin your mood.

Allegedly is about a nine year girl who is convicted of murdering a 3 month of baby... Allegedly. This book is a stark look at the juvenile justice system which is even more broken th
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Doesn’t matter what you say about racial equality, you’ve never seen white families storming the steps of city hall demanding justice for a little black baby. They’re pushing for the death penalty and don’t even realize executing this little girl is no different than murdering that baby.”

This book holds the crown for best-book-I-hate-the-ending of.

Let’s discuss.

# SPOILER-FREE GUSH REVIEW SECTION

Mary is one of the strongest characters I've ever read in YA. She's realistic and just as full of
Dem
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a terrific suspenseful and disturbing debut novel by Tiffany D Jackson.

Mary B. Addison killed a baby. Allegedly. She didn’t say much in that first interview with detectives, and the media filled in the only blanks that mattered: a white baby had died while under the care of a churchgoing black woman and her nine-year-old daughter. The public convicted Mary and the jury made it official

First of all I loved the cover and Title of this novel.

I really enjoyed this well written thriller with i
may ❀
I feel like if I say anything it could be a spoiler, so this is just gonna be incoherent screaming.

First off, THIS BOOK IS SAD. I found it really depressing to read about how the condition of the group home was for the girls. Even though they are considered worse than juvie kids, they still have it pretty rough.

So this book is about Mary, a girl stuck in a terrible, terrible situation after she has been allegedly accused of murdering a baby. I mean, it sounds totally freaky and it is in some a
Joce (squibblesreads)
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

This book kicks so much ass. It was a difficult read in that it made me uncomfortable, but as someone who has never been involved with the legal system as an alleged perpetrator, and as an Asian-American, I have not had the experiences that the protagonist had, and this was a necessary and welcome discomfort for me. From its "unreliable" first-person narration, to its commentary on the treatment of African-American young girls in the book's group home and legal system, to the discussio
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“It’s easier to keep an animal in a cage than to play with it.”

My friend SUSAN’s review is what put Allegedly on my radar. When I took a glance at the synopsis I immediately was like . . . .

I was correct. My enjoyment of this book comes as such a surprise that I find myself in fear of developing a serious case of word vomit and spoiling the entire thing with too much typey typey so . . . . .

Yeah. That’s really what I need to do.
Irena
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4,5

Only few books can shake me. Allegedly is one of them.

After I finished this compelling novel, I needed some time to process everything that was going on in the book, as well as calm myself so I could understand my feelings.

Reading this, you probably think I’m exaggerating.
If I was you, I’d probably think the same.
But I am telling the truth. Sometimes we don’t know how we’re going to react to a certain book, and sometimes our reactions can surprise us.

Going into this story, I kn
Marilyn C.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Allegedly hooked me from the beginning - what an addictive and suspenseful story this was!

Did 9 year-old Mary kill baby Alyssa? Could a mother be so horrible as to allow her child to be charged with a crime that she never committed? Who is the true face of evil in this story - Mary, or could it be her mother or possibly her mother's boyfriend? There will be so many questions that you will be asking yourself as you turn the pages of this gut wrenching book!

Tiffany D. Jackson has written a stand
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
Some children are just born bad, plain and simple. This is how mary B. Addison became a household name… was there something that made her snap, or was the evil dormant all along?

4.5 Stars

Allegedly is a brilliantly written, well plotted piece of fiction that speaks to deep, dark truths in modern society.

THE CHARACTERS

Mary is beautifully released as the main character. She perfectly incapsulates a mixture of intellectual potential, voiceless exhaustion and clear-eyed awareness of the hopelessne
Taryn Pierson
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve ever been unexpectedly dive-bombed by a bird, then you know how it feels to read the ending of Allegedly. A fast-moving, flapping blur comes screaming out of nowhere, gets way too close to your face, and then careens out of sight again. Heart pounding, eyes darting, you might illogically wonder for a moment if you hallucinated the whole thing.

But no, it really happened, you have indeed been the victim of avian intimidation, and yes, Tiffany D. Jackson really did just execute the debut
Allegedly is a realistic young-adult debut novel written by Tiffany D. Jackson. Purposefully, I haven't been reading much YA lately so I put a lot of trust in my fellow adult reviewers who have been showering this title with shiny 4 and 5 stars. After reading, I can safely say the praise isn't too generous and it isn't undeserved.

In my experience, it has been difficult to find complex YA that is as captivating for adults as it is for teens. They are few and far between in my opinion. Allegedly
Allison
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book just blew my mind and heart to smithereens. This is such a powerful book on every single level and the author doesn't shy away from the dark realities of the justice system and mental health care. ALLEGEDLY holds its own with every adult thriller and like any thriller worth its salt makes you re-think the narrative you think you know every few chapters. Jackson's writing and Mary's voice are remarkable and pulled me to pieces.

And then THAT ENDING. This is going to make a wonderful dis
Natalie Monroe
Giselle
From the moment I read the first page, I knew I was going to fly through it. The writing is just so easy to read you just fall into the story so quickly. You'll be surprised at how the twists and turns come. You're not even looking for it, and bam there's one or two. I'm still reeling from the story, it's one that will be on your mind for a while. I also understood a bit about group homes and the teens that get stuck there with no place to go. It broke my heart reading about it.

Allegedly is one

“I didn’t kill Alyssa.”

This was a YA contemporary story, about a teenage girl who allegedly killed a baby.

I felt quite sorry for Mary in this book, being locked up for years when you did nothing wrong would be awful, and the way the other girls in the home treated her was pretty bad.

The storyline in this was about Mary discovering she was pregnant by her boyfriend Ted, and realising that because of her
Lucia
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Beside reading blurb and checking ratings, I went into this book completely blind and it was one of the best decisions ever. I suggest the same for you.

Unique premise, though-provoking content (prepare yourself for heavy/brutal/disturbing stuff) and very very good writing made this debut into memorable and gripping YA mystery thriller for me.

Still, I can’t help but feel a bit let down by ending. Minor spoiler: (view spoiler)
Simon
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing alleged about it Tiffany D Jackson's debut Allegedly is superb. Gut punching, wry, wise & twisty. Brilliant. Read it. I read it in under 24 hours I was that hooked by Mary's story and if she did or didn't kill a baby when she was nine years old.
ambsreads
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ll never be able to write a review on this. Just wow.
Kelli
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, ya
GOOSEBUMPS!

Get the audio and don’t read any reviews at all. 4.5 stars
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I LOOOOVED this book........... right up until the very end. The ending felt SO cheap and tbh I'm so bummed bc this would have been 5 stars and a new favorite. Ugh. Womp :(
Zeta Book Recomme...: Aaralyn's patterns gameboard review 1 5 Nov 10, 2018 12:50PM
What really happened?! 2 58 Oct 29, 2018 10:06AM
South Branch YA 2...: One Book Down 1 9 Jan 06, 2018 10:18AM
Spoiler warning: Ending of book!!! 5 350 Nov 26, 2017 03:22PM
English 1 H Period 8: Summer Reading Book Review by Abby Heltzer 1 4 Sep 07, 2017 03:03PM
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • American Street
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • The Last Thing You Said
  • The Hidden Memory of Objects
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • How to Make a Wish
  • The Beast Is an Animal
  • The Gauntlet  (The Gauntlet, #1)
  • Just Friends
  • The End of Our Story
Tiffany D. Jackson is a TV professional by day, novelist by night, awkward black girl 24/7. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Film from Howard University and her Master of Arts in Media Studies from The New School University. A Brooklyn native, she is a lover of naps, cookie dough, and beaches, currently residing in the borough she loves with her adorable chihuahua Oscar, most likely multitaski ...more
“What yuh may or may not’ve done is not di definition of who yuh really are.” 3 likes
“Most of my life, no one has bothered to explain anything to me. It’s been one “’cause I said so” scenario after another.” 3 likes