Start by marking “All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor” as Want to Read:
All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor

All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor

THE FIRST MEMOIR BY A USS ARIZONA SURVIVOR: Donald Stratton, one of the battleship's five living heroes, delivers a "powerful"and"intimate"* eyewitnessaccountof Pearl Harborandhisunforgettable return to the fight

At 8:10 a.m. on December 7, 1941, Seaman First Class Donald Stratton was consumed by an inferno. A million pounds of explosives had detonated beneath his battle
Published November 22nd 2016 by William Morrow

Kay Schuch
Dec 05, 2016 Kay Schuch rated it it was amazing
An excellent read by a man who lived through Pearl Harbor! A 'gallant' man who felt we should hear his story! I am so glad he was brave enough to share it! Thanks for serving and now for sharing! I definitely understand the difference between brave heroes and gallant men, of which you most certainly are of the gallant variety!
Don LaFountaine
Jan 14, 2017 Don LaFountaine rated it it was amazing
I loved this memoir of Donald Stratton, a survivor of the USS Arizona.

This is the story Donald Stratton, who grew up in the mid-west. He discusses how his family life was like during the Great Depression and then the dust bowl of the 1930's. With little opportunity available to him in Nebraska, he joins the US Navy. After going though boot camp, he is assigned to the USS Arizona. During his time he met many people who became his friends and family. They looked out for one another, trained side b
Nick Smith
Dec 22, 2016 Nick Smith rated it it was amazing
It's a must-read. Give yourself the experience. So that we won't forget the past. Things will come to light, things you will never know until you read them. As with any firsthand memoir, we learn about individual people, their lives, their families. What was the attack at Pearl Harbor like? What was the fight in the Pacific theater like? Who was lost? How? What's it like to lose countless friends, almost brothers, all in one day? Could the attack have been prevented or at least prepared for? Why ...more
Maggie Burgess
Dec 17, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*I won a free copy of this in a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed this firsthand account of Pearl Harbor. The fact that it was by a man who was a survivor of the USS Arizona was even more powerful. He does a great job of describing what happened that day, as well as what led to it, what life was like on the Arizona, what came after Pearl Harbor, etc. I enjoyed reading about some of the people Mr. Stratton met and worked with, other families affected, and also a
Rita McDowell
Dec 01, 2016 Rita McDowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This is the greatest non fiction book that I have ever read. From the beginning to the end it will grab your heart and move you to tears. I had to read awhile and put it down to dry tears and then pick it up again only to dry tears again. This sailor allows you into the most precious part of him to read what happened that December morning in Pearl harbor and brings the terror of the attack and the loss of so many gallant men into your life. My father served in the Pacific during World War I
Larry Vanzalen
Dec 18, 2016 Larry Vanzalen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book as soon as I heard it was published and already a best seller. I am a Navy vet of the Vietnam war, and because Pearl Harbor was always our first and last port of call when my ship left or returned to California, I passed the USS Arizona Memorial many times and visited it on more than one occasion. My birthday is December 7 and I've always been interested in all things related to the significance of that date in America's history.

This is the first (and since there are o
Deb M.
Dec 12, 2016 Deb M. rated it it was amazing
This is a plain spoken story from a man who served on the USS Arizona on that fateful day 7 December 1941. I have read a number of books about the attack on Pearl Harbor and they were all excellent but this is the one that touched me, touched my heart. The story starts with an introduction where we learn a bit about Don Stratton the young man. We hear about why he enlisted, a bit of his basic training and then the assignment to the USS Arizona. He puts faces and stories to many of his shipmates, ...more
Angie
Dec 12, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad actually recommended I read this book and I am so glad I did. Don Stratton's story of Pearl Harbor is terrifying, inspirational, and heroic. This memoir reads like a conversation with Mr. Stratton as he is telling his story, perhaps to his grandkids or family. I say I am not an emotional person, but reading this book made me very emotional. Maybe it was because I read it the week of the Pearl Harbor anniversary. Whatever the cause, I discovered I couldn't read this book and eat because it ...more
Debbie
Dec 07, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography-memoir
Finishing this book on the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, I wanted to LOVE it. Unfortunately, it is just okay.

I was hoping for a more personal memoir, such as UNBROKEN, but found the first 85% of this work to be a history lesson. Don Stratton is finally shown in a more personal way for the last 15% of the book, but I almost didn't make it there.

Mr. Stratton is a man to be admired as a hero, but this writing was highly inspirational. I blame part of that on the actual writer, Ken Girl. Some of
Jim
Nov 24, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
This book is a great combination of author and sailor who survived the sinking of the USS Arizona at Hawaii of December 7, 1941 driving the US into World War II. Donald Stratton was a teenager living in Nebraska on that fatal day, he was born and raised in Nebraska, his parents poor as will be described by the author. Stratton is 96 years of age now, there are but 5 members of the crew of the Arizona remaining but he has a great memory and as he tells all early in the book during discussions wit ...more
Bob Shipman
Jan 03, 2017 Bob Shipman rated it liked it
A good read. Not a detailed history book but a first person memoir of the days leading up to and the years following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. If you are looking for an interesting, easy read, this is a good book. If you are looking for a detailed history of the events leading up to and following the attack, this is not the book for you. I admire Mr. Stratton's perseverance and his incredible journey back from the devastating injuries he received during the attack. Mr. Stratton's patr ...more
David Hill
This is the story of Donald Stratton, one of the few survivors of the USS Arizona.

It is broken into three parts: first, his life up to and including the attack on Pearl Harbor. Second, his recovery and return to home, and third, his return to service, which includes chapters on how he places these events in greater context. There is also an epilogue covering the 75th reunion.

It's a short, easy read. There's not a lot of detail here. The section on his recovery would be not more than a few pages
Jackie
Dec 05, 2016 Jackie rated it liked it
Donald Stratton describes his harrowing escape from the USS Arizona which was decimated during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Stratton survived only because another sailor defied a direct order from a superior officer and saved Stratton and others from certain death.

Stratton received burns over 65% of his body. A note of warning: not a book for the squeamish. Some scenes can be understandably graphic.

Upon recovery, Stratton felt compelled to re-enlist seeking both revenge and redemption...
Cynthia
Dec 27, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book and its author ten stars, I would! Yes, he was and is a war hero. He was present at the 75th Anniversary ceremony of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and I felt as if I knew him personally. I loved his very honest views regarding forgiving the enemy. In this politically correct era, most people wouldn't have the balls to be so honest--but, fortunately for all Americans, he did not shy away from his true feelings, nor did he shy away from defending his country.

I love this m
Jabin Newhouse
Jan 18, 2017 Jabin Newhouse rated it it was amazing
Great personal account of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Fairly quick read. But definitely pushes emotions to the surface. Amazing story of heroism and courage. Really humbling to read about the sacrifice and patriotism of the author's generation (most likely our grandparents). Unfortunately displays how far we've veered off course with nationalism, respect, service, and pride for what our country represents and most importantly the cost at which we have our freedoms today. Sad...but I appreciate t ...more
Gail Lewis
Dec 26, 2016 Gail Lewis rated it it was amazing
Don Stratton was on the Arizona when the attack on Pearl Harbor started. His childhood story as a child of the Depression in Nebraska helps shape his reason for enlisting in the Navy. The war story was very interesting and his section on the lessons of Pearl Harbor truly give a lot of insight into what led up to the surprise attack and the heavy losses. This personal account is well told by Ken Gire.
Steve
Nov 25, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book who the author survived the U.S.S. Arizona explosion during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941. Stratton, A seaman first class in the United States Navy suffered burns across two thirds of his body. After recovering, He reenlisted and fought in the battles of Leyte Gulf, Luzon, and Okinawa. One of the best firsthand accounts on the attack on Pearl Harbor by one of the survivors of the Arizona.
Grace Skinner
Dec 15, 2016 Grace Skinner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to read about this remembrance of US history

The actual remembrances of the survivor, Don Stratton, are something that every American needs to embrace. There is information regarding actions not taken in the days prior to Dec. 7, 141 as well as prior to the dropping of atomic bombs, that everyone should see. Our discontented country of today needs to be reminded of December 7v 1941 and September 11, 2001.
Kassidi
Jan 11, 2017 Kassidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fell in love with this book! It had me laughing, smiling, angry, and in tears. Donald Stratton is such an inspiration to me, and I wish I had the opportunity to thank him for everything he has done for our country! I recommend this phenomenal read to everyone. This is a must read for any age!
Anne Cella
Jan 16, 2017 Anne Cella rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Anne Cella by: Saw an interview on the CBS Sunday News show
A book that all ages could read. I think that this one should be required reading in the schools. The story was told with such humanity and the author described the events in such a way that it almost made you feel as though you had witnessed it. Thank you Mr. Stratton for sharing these events of your life. It could not have been easy.
Ann
Jan 17, 2017 Ann rated it it was amazing
I'm only giving it a 5 star because 10 star is not available! FANTASTIC book! This book should be mandatory reading in all high school history classes. Please, I hope the whole world will read it! It took 2 months on the waiting list at the library, but I loved it so much I'm going out to purchase it!
Timothy T. Pratt
A Lesson to Remember.

As relevant today as it was 75 years ago. As with 9/11, we should never forget what happened on December 7th, 1941 and the sacrifices of the greatest generation. We should never take our freedoms for granted and this book is a poignant reminder of that. Ordinary men thrust into extraordinary circumstances.
Roy Peek
Dec 24, 2016 Roy Peek rated it it was amazing
Excellent story of one of the Gallant Men that were there, on-board the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor, December 7th 1941. With the 75 anniversary, weeks ago this was a timely gift that was a great read that kept your attention and carried you along a journey.

To All the Gallant Men, "you did live a good life"
Cathy Guidry
Dec 23, 2016 Cathy Guidry rated it really liked it
The book is well written. It gave me a glimpse into how Americans prior and during WWII were so proud to be American and living in our great country. It made me think about how times have changed and what Americans feel about our country.

It made me see how thankful we should be for those who fight to keep us free.
Larry Warren
Dec 07, 2016 Larry Warren rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night, the eve the 75th anniversary. I don't know where to begin a review of this book. So I think a small quote from page 109 will say it all.

"Dear Lord,
Lest I continue
My complacent way,
Help me to remember that somewhere,
Somehow out there
A man died for me today.
As long as there be war,
must answer
Am I worth dying for?"

sharon Kay Little
A love story. A sailor and his ship. The Arizona.

Possably the best book I have ever read. Just the right length and not alot of flowery descriptions.. Just the facts and such an emotional feel to Donald Stratton. Loved it and cried thru most of it. I feel that I am well acquainted with Donald Stratton.. Absolutely loved every page.

Tressa
Jan 14, 2017 Tressa rated it it was amazing
An amazing story. A good reminder. We should all be thankful he tells us his story. Soon there will be no survivors left to tell us, to remind us. I learned some things that I didn't know. His story moves quickly and is engaging. I will be giving this to my high schooler to read.
Jeanette
Dec 17, 2016 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for our young people. Learn from a survivor of Pearl Harbor, and the dust bowl and the depression, why we went to war. The book was a good read, some tears reading about the hell that was Pearl Harbor. Not just a statistic in a paragraph in a history book.
Alan Strong
Jan 11, 2017 Alan Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first memoir of a USS Arizona survivor from the Pearl Harbor attack. The account of the authors experience is very emotional. Revealed are some of the things that happened that veterans from WWII did not discuss after the war.
Eugene
Dec 05, 2016 Eugene rated it it was amazing
Great book. Found it hard to put down once I started reading it. Revealed much about the attack on Pearl Harbor that I didn't know before. Being written by the person who lived it (Donald Stratton) made it especially moving.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »